1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Older Computers, Operating Systems, Etc.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by searcher, Dec 10, 2016.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Bob Rosenbloom's Vintage Computer Collection
    CuriousMarc

Published on Aug 31, 2017
    Bob Rosenbloom is one of the prominent collectors of vintage computers in our area. His impressive collection is tucked away in hangars and containers on his remote property, surrounded by giant Redwood trees. Always a treat to pay him a visit. More details on his website here: www.dvq.com

2. searcher

Oddware: Contec 3-in-1 cassette recorder/clock/calculator
    VWestlife

Published on Sep 23, 2017
    Did you ever want a cassette recorder with a built-in clock and calculator? Me neither. But somebody at Contec did, and came up with this...

3. searcher

What Happened to Cyrix Processors? | Nostalgia Nerd
    Nostalgia Nerd

Published on Sep 22, 2017
    Intel vs AMD? Forget it. The processor wars of the 90s are almost as legendary as Sega vs. Nintendo or Amiga vs. Atari. While Intel was improving the 386 and 486, competitors popped up like AMD and Cyrix, leaving Intel with a lot more competition on their hands than today, and various lawsuits followed along the way. These companies were dedicated to overtaking Intel in the processor race, and when Intel jumped to the Pentium, Cyrix and AMD weren't far behind with 5x86 and 6x86 processor iterations (AMD with their K6). This video will explore the whole Cyrix story, from their setup to their unfortunate demise. Along the way I'll ask the important question; Did Quake kill off Cyrix? Was it the undoing of an entire processor designer?.... It's a question which has basis in the Cyrix 686 processor's poor FPU performance and John Carmack's coding which leaned heavily on Intel FPU design. But it might not be the only reason why this silicon chip designer bit the bullet. This is an era where it wasn't just Intel vs AMD, or a simple price vs performance war. This was an era of Intel vs AMD vs Cyrix vs IDT, and for me, having lived through it, it's absolutely fascinating.

Sit back and witness glorious CPUs like the Cyrix 5x86, the 6x86, the MediaGX and the MII series. Along with early math co-processors that helped to make early x86 machines fly father than an IBM blue lightning chip set.

** For exclusive videos, mystery boxes and other rewards, please consider supporting me at; https://www.patreon.com/nostalgianerd... **

☟Sharing☟
    If you wish to share this video in forums, social media, on your website, *please do so*! It helps tremendously with the channel!

☟Subcribe☟
    https://www.youtube.com/user/nostalgi...

4. searcher

Windows 95 - A First Look (Silicon Mountain, 1996)
    VWestlife

Published on Oct 22, 2017
    I tried my best to sharpen and clean up the video, but there's only so much you can do with a low-quality VHS recording at EP/SLP speed that was entirely made by pointing a video camera at a CRT monitor, so a lot of the on-screen text is illegible. Also some of the titles are so far into the overscan area that they are invisible when watching it on a TV.

Original description on the back of the tape: "Produced by Silicon's team of experts, Windows 95 - A First Look video is absolutely the best method to learn everything you need to know about the new software. Windows 95 is Microsoft's answer to Apple easy-to-use systems! Forget about confusing DOS command language... you don't need it anymore. Windows 95 is easier to use than earlier versions, more powerful, and supports futuristic software and hardware. Multi-Media Ready just like televisions that are Cable-Ready. In the near future, your PC will be able to control televisions, stereos, alarm systems, and even your telephone! Windows 95 is ready for the future."

5. searcher

6. searcher

LGR - Restoring a 1998 Packard Bell Multimedia PC
    Lazy Game Reviews

Published on Nov 6, 2017
    There really is no rational reason to restore a late 90s NEC-manufactured Packard Bell computer. Which is exactly why I'm doing it. Join me in getting this unloved machine back to factory fresh condition!

7. searcher