1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

One-Eyed Jacks [1961] Western Criterion Release Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'Stories and Fiction' started by gringott, Jun 30, 2017.

1. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    [​IMG]

I was 6 years old when this movie was released, back in 1961. Although I was a prime western fan at the time, owned a hat, boots, vest and gun belt, a wagon with horses from the macaroni company that made wagon wheel shaped pasta, I did not see this film in the theater nor anywhere else for at least a decade. Seems the film "fell into" the public domain for years, and the versions released to the public were low quality, even the blu-ray. This was the LAST movie shot in VistaVision, ever. Starring Marlon Brando, directed by Marlon Brando. It is claimed his "cut" of the movie was five and a half hours long. The studio took the movie away from him and cut it.

In November of 2016, Criterion released this movie, after restoration and digital scanning at 4k. It was shown at the Cannes film festival in 2016.

Here is what Wiki has to say on it:
    "The film fell into the public domain and for years was only available via numerous low quality, budget reissues on VHS and DVD. In 2016, work was completed on a new 4K digital restoration, undertaken by Universal Pictures in partnership with The Film Foundation and in consultation with filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg". This restoration was issued on Blu-ray and DVD in November 2016 by the Criterion Collection in the US, and in June 2017 by Arrow Video in the UK."

Well, I rank this movie in my top five westerns. So of course I got my grubby hands on it in the Criterion version. Wow what a treat for the eyes, and it never hurts in my house to have subtitles. I think I can watch this version at least once a year. My personal favorite Brando (Rio), Karl Malden (Dad Longworth), Ben Johnson (Bob Emory) and Slim Pickens (Lon Dedrick) performances.

Here is a link about the Criterion version.
    https://www.criterion.com/films/28979-one-eyed-jacks
    Here is a link to a review about this version.
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/One-Eyed-Jacks-Blu-ray/162187/

The fact that they have a 4k version make me hopeful a 4k release may happen in the next decade.

[​IMG]

searcher likes this.