1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Originally a coin collector, now a silverbug

Discussion in 'Hello! New Member Incoming' started by torik, Dec 10, 2013.

1. torik

torik New Member

Hello all. I'm a silver bullion collector out in mid-Missouri, and your forum certainly caught my attention as a great source of information.

I am here seeking information, purchases, and trade opportunities to complete my rather novel collection idea. Over Thanksgiving Break, while I was coin store hopping, I happened upon a Hauser & Miller one troy ounce bar for spot + $3.

0bvNWtw.jpg

After performing some research online, I found out that Hauser & Miller were based out of St. Louis, and I became very excited of the possibility of collecting one silver bar from a private company in each state of the US.

Over the past three weeks, I have completed a lot of research into finding current and former private companies from each state, as well as purchasing six more bars from companies in the states of Idaho (Sunshine Minting Co), New Jersey (Englehard Corporation), Washington (Northwest Territorial Mint), California (Jelenko Dental Alloys and A-Mark/USVI Ingot Co), Oregon (Monarch Precious Metals), and Colorado (Prospector's Gold & Gem).

xN85PRml.jpg

I am currently waiting on a trade for Indiana (Silvertowne) and New Hampshire (Suns of Liberty Mint) to make it through the mail.

I look forward to communicating with fellow stackers on this forum, as well as possibly buying from them and trading some of my collection with them to obtain more states for my collection. If nothing else, I hope to learn about new mints in some states that are not well known -- tracking down a silver source in Kansas and Delaware has been particularly difficult! It seems even the silver recovery companies and the refineries aren't hallmarking and selling their own bars in those states!

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

nice idea,

going to have quite a collection as time goes on of all manner of styles,

good for you!

3. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    welcome to the forum.....SW missouri here......

bullion guy myself no small bars though.....

4. torik

torik New Member

Good to know I have some locals who frequent this forum. ttazzman, which coin shops do you frequent down there in SW Missouri? I have family down there, and if there is one shop that has a good supply and variety of bars (as well as good prices, not too much over spot), I'll definitely pay a visit.

5. Wellsburg

Wellsburg Silver Member Silver Miner

Small Business Owner
    This may or may not be helpful.

There is a local dealer near Lancaster, PA, Steinmetz Coins. Has a website: www.steinmetzcoins.com
    Owner's name is Dennis Steinmetz, been in business for about 40 years.

Years ago, he owned a large coin shop down near Wilmington, Delaware. Back in the late 1970's, he was pouring his own silver bars, Steinmetz name marked on them. I had some of his crude poured bars many years ago, long since sold to someone else.

Not sure if he was pouring those bars in Lancaster, PA or Delaware. May be worth an email of a phone call to find out.

6. torik

torik New Member

It's these little leads that definitely help me out. Thanks Wellsburg :)

7. WhyKnow

WhyKnow Thnk Tank Gold Chaser

Nice pictures. It's fun to see cool collections. Local ones around here are Oxford bars.
    torik, what do you think about the fake Sunshine bars in the plastic? I own one bar, a dinged englehard, but the common bars seem to get faked a bit. When I see one in plastic, I now assume it's fake.

8. torik

torik New Member

It seriously scares me, and has forced me to purchase a kit to test the specific gravity of my bars in order to non-destructively test the silver (no acid). However, I obtained this bar from my father, who purchased through either APMEX or directly from Sunshine. He only buys from reputable dealers, whereas I'm taking my chances and testing along the way. Are you familiar with the website alibaba? You can actually purchase the faked bars directly from China.

Oxford is actually on my list. If you know where to purchase one, or have any in your collection that you'd be willing to part with, let's PM and make a transaction. I just posted a portion of my collection over in the Buy and Sell forum.

9. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    in the early 2000s i was a dumping place for local shops that bought big lots that needed to be turned over quick...i rarely even visit them these days most of mine is bought online due to pricing and available inventory...there are several "fair" shops in Springfield last few trips in to one inventories were poor and prices were semi-poor

but if you are ever in the area i can give you 2-3 of them to go see

10. Swiftmotoring

Swiftmotoring New Member

Nice collection idea Torik. Have you been able to determine how many of the 50 states have actually made bars? I am new to silver collecting and like the 1oz bars. If you find an NC bar that I can source for you I would be willing to do so and them work a trade with you. Have fun!