1. All on hold waiting for a tax plan announcement
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Am. Gold is down 1 to 1266, while Silver is down 2 to 1757 after a late collapse yesterday. Crude is down 15 to 4941. The USD is up 31 to 9896.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

Problems, Repairs And Fixes: Household, Shop, Etc.

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by searcher, Jan 20, 2015.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Off Grid Living - The Game Plan - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 13, 2016
    Off The Grid Living - The Game Plan New off grid home,

Welcome to my channel: My channel is about How I use renewable energy to live off the Grid on the Big Island of Hawaii. I use renewable energy Wind Turbines Solar Panels and other ways to achieve my way of life. I started my channel because I wanted to share my experience living the off grid. I started with a small 12v off gird system and now I am building a Brand New 48v Off Grid Home here in Hawaii. If you follow me you will see where i started and where i am going. I am sharing the way i have done this and want to share any tips i can to help others that may be in the same situation or may be thinking about living off the grid. There is a lot of good information on my channel and a lot more to come. My VLog - Modern Off Grid DIY

Please Subscribe like and share

2. searcher

Off Grid Living - Wiring Temporary Work Lights - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 14, 2016
    Off Grid Living - Wiring Temporary work lights - New Off Grid Home

Welcome to my channel: My channel is about How I use renewable energy to live off the Grid on the Big Island of Hawaii. I use renewable energy Wind Turbines Solar Panels and other ways to achieve my way of life. I started my channel because I wanted to share my experience living the off grid. I started with a small 12v off gird system and now I am building a Brand New 48v Off Grid Home here in Hawaii. If you follow me you will see where i started and where i am going. I am sharing the way i have done this and want to share any tips i can to help others that may be in the same situation or may be thinking about living off the grid. There is a lot of good information on my channel and a lot more to come. My VLog - Modern Off Grid DIY

3. searcher

How to Work with Concrete
    This Old House

Published on Sep 15, 2016
    Watch the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAw5B...

This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains masonry materials and then shows how to pour a concrete slab. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)

Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...

Shopping List for How to Work with Concrete:
    - Portland cement, gravel, and sand, to make concrete
    - 2x boards, for building form
    - 3-inch deck screws, to fasten together form boards
    - Lime, added to cement and sand to make mortar
    - ¾-inch stone, to form solid base for concrete slab
    - ½-inch (No. 4) rebar or welded wire mesh, for strengthening the concrete

Tools for How to Work with Concrete:
    - Motorized cement mixer, to mix concrete
    - Wheelbarrow and pointed shovel, for mixing concrete
    - 1- or 2-gallon bucket, to measure dry ingredients
    - 5-gallon bucket, for adding water to concrete
    - Plate compactor or hand tamper, to compact ¾-inch stone base
    - Cordless drill, for screwing together wooden form
    - Steel float, to smooth concrete
    - Push broom, for adding texture to concrete surface
    - Edger, to round over edge of concrete slab
    - Groover, for cutting control joints into the concrete

Steps for How to Work with Concrete:
    1. Portland cement is the key ingredient in most masonry mixes, including cement, concrete, and mortar.
    2. Concrete is composed of portland cement, sand, and aggregate (gravel). When the concrete cures, the aggregate binds the ingredients and makes concrete strong.
    3. Mortar, used to build brick and concrete-block walls, is made of portland cement, lime, and sand; it contains no gravel.
    4. Lime makes mortar sticky so it adheres better to the brick or block, and it also makes cured mortar more elastic and less likely to crack.
    5. Portland cement mix is used for below-grade brick and block walls. It’s a simple mortar mix of only portland cement and sand.
    6. To make your own concrete mix, use three parts sand, two parts gravel, and one part portland cement.
    7. To mix concrete, you can rent an electric or gas-powered cement mixer, or mix it by hand in a wheelbarrow.
    8. Use a bucket to ensure accurate measurements. Add one part sand, one part portland cement, and one part gravel to the wheelbarrow. Blend well with a pointed shovel.
    9. Add remaining dry ingredients—two parts sand and one part gravel—and mix well until thoroughly blended.
    10. Smooth out the dry concrete mix in the wheelbarrow and excavate a small hole in the center.
    11. Partially fill a 5-gallon bucket with water, then pour about a quart or so into the center of the dry concrete mix.
    12. Mix well with the shovel, add a little bit more water, and mix again. Repeat until the concrete is the consistency of cookie dough. If too dry, add a bit more water. If too wet, add a little more dry mix of cement, sand, and gravel in the proper proportions.
    13. Excavate the area where you’re planning to pour the concrete. Dig down to solid, undisturbed earth.
    14. Build a wooden form out of 2x boards to hold the concrete in place until it cures. Fasten the boards together with 3-inch deck screws.
    15. Add several inches of ¾-inch stone to the form and compact it well with a plate compactor or hand tamper.
    16. Carefully dump or shovel the concrete from the wheelbarrow into the form, filling it about halfway.
    17. Smooth out the concrete, then lay down some ½-inch (No. 4) metal reinforcing bar or welded wire mesh to add structural strength to the concrete.
    18. Mix more concrete, if necessary, and fill the form to the top.
    19. Smooth out the surface of the concrete with a steel float.
    20. Allow the concrete slab to dry for about an hour, then lightly drag a push broom across its surface to add texture.
    21. Run an edger around the perimeter of the slab to round over its edges.
    22. On larger slabs and walkways, used a groover to cut control joints into the still-soft concrete.
    23. Allow the concrete to cure, then carefully unscrew and remove the form boards.
    24. Backfill as necessary around the slab with soil.

Watch new episodes of Ask TOH: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/as...

4. searcher

Living Off Grid - Game Plan For Electrical and Insulation, Plumbing - New off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 16, 2016
    Living Off Grid - Game Plan for electrical and Insulation, Plumbing - New Off Grid Home.

5. searcher

6. searcher

Off Grid Living - Power Room Moving - New Off Grid Home - Solar Wind Turbines Batteries
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 17, 2016
    Off Grid Living - Power Room Moving - New Off Grid Home

7. searcher

8. searcher

9. searcher

EPEVER EPSOLAR 4210A MPPT Solar Charge Controller OPENED UP!
    Јохн Даниел

Published on Sep 18, 2016

10. searcher

Laura´s Brass Key (Folding Key Fix)
    Laura Kampf

Remeber the folding keys i built a while back?
    I broke them - here is how i rebuild them from brass to make them more durable. an i added a very personl design feature...

If you haven´t seen the original video, please go and check it out first to better understand what´s going on here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4USc...

I like this version even better- that is the beauty of making, you can always go back, learn from your mistakes and improve your work.

Sweet, sweet music by Leven Bulut.
    Head over to his new Facebook Page and show him some love :)
    https://www.facebook.com/levent.bulut...

Thanks for watching and please let me know how you like this weeks project in the comments below.

also you might consider supporting me on patreon
    patrons get to see exclusive videos and earn my never ending graditude!

thanks! have a great sunday!!!

11. searcher

HYDRAULIC GEAR PUMPS EXPLAINED!
    AvE

How can two little gears can create HUGE hydraulic pressure.

12. searcher

IMTS 2016 - AMAZING CNC Machines!
    NYC CNC

We had a chance to see some amazing CNC machines and meet some great people at IMTS 2016!

Special thanks to Autodesk who got a group of us together for CAM feedback - it was a great chance to meet so many fellow YouTube and Instagram machinists!

Some Vendor/Machine Highlights (times to jump to):
    13:40 - NOGA
    22:51 DMG Laser Sinter + 5 Axis
    24:00 Samsung CNC Lathe
    32:00 AB Tool! (Shear Hog!)
    35:00 Sandvik Booth
    36:18 SECO Booth

13. searcher

This May Be The Coolest Wooden Box Ever
    John Heisz

Published on Sep 13, 2016
    I used this box for my camera gear, but it can be used for anything else you'd like to put in there. Tools, tackle or even sewing stuff, if you're into that.
    The all-wood latch is what makes this super duper, oh and how neat is that split handle? This can be made bigger or smaller, and the metal hinges could be replaced with wooden ones, if you prefer.

The build article: http://www.ibuildit.ca/Woodworking%20...

The Advanced Box Joint Jig:
    http://www.ibuildit.ca/Workshop%20Pro...

My mini table saw sled: http://www.ibuildit.ca/Workshop%20Pro...

14. searcher

15. searcher

How To Make the Stealth Shelf! (Homemade Concealment Shelf)
    Grant Thompson - "The King of Random"

Published on Aug 28, 2016
    How to make a DIY Concealment shelf for hiding spare keys, money, passports, weapons, or anything else!
    [✓] Magnetic Locks: http://amzn.to/2bWMIA4 [✓] Hinges: http://amzn.to/2bWO91r [✓] Motion Activated LED: http://amzn.to/29l8zQ4
    [✓] Forstner Bit (1-3/8"): http://amzn.to/2cixWYl [✓] Diamond Plate Aluminum Tread: http://amzn.to/2bHvhVN

Next Video: Neat & Tidy Trash Hack: http://bit.ly/TrashHack
    Previous Video: DIY "Stealth Shelf" Walk-Through & Special Features: http://bit.ly/StealthShelf

16. searcher

Channel/ Projects update September 2016
    Matthew Olson

Just a quick house walkaround and projects update.

17. searcher

TIPS #269 Pt 1 of 3 How to Buy a SOUTH BEND LATHE tubalcain
    mrpete222

Part 1 of 3. In this video, I attempt to explain what you need to watch for, when you are planning on buying a used South Bend lathe.
    Also, watch Tips #330, 331, & 332 on HOW TO BUY AN ATLAS LATHE.

18. searcher

How I mill a 16ft+ long log on my Woodland Mills Sawmill
    Matthew Olson

19. searcher

Off Grid Living - Painting - Only 1 Side Left - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 19, 2016
    Off grid living - Painting - Only 1 side left - New Off Grid Home

20. searcher

Kristie Wolfe builds underground home & sets rural WA hamlet
    Kirsten Dirksen

Inspired by the success of the Hawaii treehouse she built for $11,000, Kristie Wolfe began searching for land to build a “Hobbit”-inspired village. Knowing that there is land to be found for cheap in this country (she bought her Hawaii property for $8000), she began to search the Northwest for sites.
    https://faircompanies.com/videos/buil...

“There’s a lot of land everywhere, if you look on craigslist, if you look on zillow, you can find property so it’s not really that there’s not a lot. The issue is with property that’s in my price range- I’m looking for property that’s $10,000 to 20,000- usually there’s a reason why it’s cheap, it’s either an easement problem or you have to drive through a crappy neighborhood… but if you’re wanting to be off-grid, it opens up a whole world of selections, there’s a ton out there.”

Wolfe paid $18,000 for 5 acres on a hillside above Lake Chelan, Washington. Being a couple miles down a dirt road, there was no option to be on the grid so Wolfe put in a solar panel, septic and a water tank (filled by truck for now) and began to dig the first of her underground homes.

At 288 square feet, Wolfe’s “tiny house in the shire” was over the maximum square footage allowed for an un-permitted build so she went to the county for approval. With only hand-sketched plans on graph paper, she was able to get a permit.

The structure went up in a few days “with a lot of help from family and friends” and it was “wrapped and roofed” in a few weeks and then Wolfe finished the interior on her own.

Inspired by the “Hobbit” books, films and cartoon (from 1977), Wolfe wanted to recreate the cozy feel of a hobbit hole. "Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole and that meant comfort."

Rather than buying expensive custom details, Wolfe got creative. She used the top of an old cable spool - scavenged for free long before the build- as a round door. To create round windows, she hid secondhand ($10) square windows behind repurposed circular mirror frames. For a very unique cordwood floor, she cut scraps of wood (found beside the road and old firewood) into into one-inch-thick pieces glued down with a heavy construction adhesive and grouted by hand (again thanks much help to friends and family).
    Wolfe has broken ground on the 2nd and 3rd hillside homes. She doesn't plan to change much of her design except to make the windows larger. The completed “village” will include an above-ground communal kitchen built to look like a thatched-roof English-style pub.

Filming credit: Ivan Nanney- IvanTheIntrepid.com

[Kristie’s “Tiny House in the Shire” rents on Airbnb https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8794484]

Original story: https://faircompanies.com/videos/kris...

21. searcher

Off Grid Living - AC Electrical Breaker Box Location - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 20, 2016
    Off Grid Living - AC Electrical Breaker Box Location - New Off grid Home

22. searcher

23. searcher

Off Grid Living - Halo Led Surface Downlight - Off Grid Lighting Ideas - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 21, 2016
    Off Grid Living - Halo Led Surface Downlights - Off Grid Lighting Ideas - New Off Grid Home

24. searcher

DIY Aluminum Welder Carts! TIG Welding Project with the AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    ChuckE2009

https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-S...

http://www.ahpwelds.com/welders/tig-w...

See my video on the Alpha TIG 200x here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drsrk...

Interested in A Career In Welding? Click Here:
    http://www.georgiatradeschool.com/

Alison by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...)
    Artist: http://audionautix.com/

Also used is "Loitering" by Riot, and "Floor Plan" by Silent Partner

25. searcher

TIPS #270 Pt 2 of 3 How to Buy a SOUTH BEND LATHE tubalcain
    mrpete222

Part 2 of 3. In this video, I attempt to explain what you need to watch for when you are planning on buying a used South Bend lathe.
    Also, watch Tips #330, 331, & 332 on HOW TO BUY AN ATLAS LATHE.

26. searcher

VLOG 19 - TV Show, Stickers and answering some Questions
    Laura Kampf

Published on Sep 23, 2016
    Here is a quick update...
    My Hair and Autofocus are a little out of control this time

27. searcher

28. searcher

Brown & Sharpe Surface Plate Stand Modifications
    Keith Rucker - VintageMachinery.org

After picking up a used Brown & Sharpe surface plate, I decided that I needed to make a few modifications to the stand that it sits on including a three point leveling system under the stone as well as proper leveling feet on the stand itself, a fresh paint job and some raised angles to hold the plate in place.

Support VintageMachinery.org on Patreon:
    https://www.patreon.com/vintagemachinery

Please Visit: http://www.vintagemachinery.org

Sponsored by:
    American Rotary Phase Converters
    http://www.americanrotary.com
    Use checkout code "Vintage10" for a 10% discount on all AD, ADX and AI converters!

29. searcher

Off Grid Living - Power Room & Comments - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 22, 2016
    Off Grid Living - Power Room & Comments - New Off Grid Home.

30. searcher

Off Grid Living - Testing Bathroom Light/Fan - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Off Grid Living - Testing Bathroom vent fan/light - new off grid home

31. searcher

Off Grid Living - Attic Vents - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

Published on Sep 24, 2016
    off Grid Living - Attic Vents - New Off Grid Home

32. searcher

DIY Building Construction: "Framing Floor Joists & Walls" 1950 US Navy Training Film
    Jeff Quitney

Construction, Building, Maintenance, Repair... playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

US Navy Training Film playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

more at http://hardware.quickfound.net/

"Illustrates procedures for constructing walls, floors, doors,and windows of a two-story building."

US Navy training film MN-5715b

Reupload of a previously uploaded film with improved video & sound.

Public domain film from the US National Archives, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and one-pass brightness-contrast-color correction & mild video noise reduction applied.
    The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and/or equalization (the resulting sound, though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_...)

...Walls

Wall framing in house construction includes the vertical and horizontal members of exterior walls and interior partitions, both of bearing walls and non-bearing walls. These stick members, referred to as studs, wall plates and lintels (headers), serve as a nailing base for all covering material and support the upper floor platforms, which provide the lateral strength along a wall. The platforms may be the boxed structure of a ceiling and roof, or the ceiling and floor joists of the story above. The technique is variously referred to colloquially in the building trades as stick and frame, stick and platform, or stick and box as the sticks (studs) give the structure its vertical support, and the box shaped floor sections with joists contained within length-long post and lintels (more commonly called headers), supports the weight of whatever is above, including the next wall up and the roof above the top story. The platform also provides the lateral support against wind and holds the stick walls true and square. Any lower platform supports the weight of the platforms and walls above the level of its component headers and joists.

Framing lumber should be grade-stamped, and have a moisture content not exceeding 19%.

There are three historically common methods of framing a house.

- Post and Beam, which is now used predominately in barn construction.
    - Balloon framing using a technique suspending floors from the walls was common until the late 1940s, but since that time, platform framing has become the predominant form of house construction.
    - Platform framing often forms wall sections horizontally on the sub-floor prior to erection, easing positioning of studs and increasing accuracy while cutting the necessary manpower. The top and bottom plates are end-nailed to each stud with two nails at least 3.25 in (83 mm) in length (16d or 16 penny nails). Studs are at least doubled (creating posts) at openings, the jack stud being cut to receive the lintels(headers) that are placed and end-nailed through the outer studs.

Wall sheathing, usually a plywood or other laminate, is usually applied to the framing prior to erection, thus eliminating the need to scaffold, and again increasing speed and cutting manpower needs and expenses. Some types of exterior sheathing, such as asphalt-impregnated fibreboard, plywood, oriented strand board and waferboard, will provide adequate bracing to resist lateral loads and keep the wall square. (Construction codes in most jurisdictions require a stiff plywood sheathing.) Others, such as rigid glass-fibre, asphalt-coated fibreboard, polystyrene or polyurethane board, will not. In this latter case, the wall should be reinforced with a diagonal wood or metal bracing inset into the studs...

Corners

A multiple-stud post made up of at least three studs, or the equivalent, is generally used at exterior corners and intersections to secure a good tie between adjoining walls and to provide nailing support for the interior finish and exterior sheathing. Corners and intersections, however, must be framed with at least two studs.

Nailing support for the edges of the ceiling is required at the junction of the wall and ceiling where partitions run parallel to the ceiling joists. This material is commonly referred to as 'dead wood' or backing.

Exterior wall studs

Wall framing in house construction includes the vertical and horizontal members of exterior walls and interior partitions. These members, referred to as studs, wall plates and lintels, serve as a nailing base for all covering material and support the upper floors, ceiling and roof.

Exterior wall studs are the vertical members to which the wall sheathing and cladding are attached. They are supported on a bottom plate or foundation sill and in turn support the top plate. Studs usually consist of 2 × 4 in (51 × 100 mm) or 2 × 6 in (51 × 150 mm) lumber and are commonly spaced at 16 in (410 mm) on centre...

33. searcher

How To Make a Table Saw for Kids Crafting Projects
    izzy swan

Build a table saw for kids to do crafting projects. This homemade table saw uses a nibbler as a cutter and cut many different types of materials for diy crafting projects. they are going to love it as soon as I get done playing with it! ;) Subscribe to see more projects - https://www.youtube.com/user/rusticma...

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/thinkwoodworks
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/izzyswanswoo...
    Check out My website - https://www.thinkwoodworks.net/

My Second Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZVK...

Greg's Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/gregmporter
    Brian's Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/videoBPW

Affiliate links -
    Nibbler - http://amzn.to/2csydCD
    Countersinks - http://amzn.to/2dplylV
    Chisels - http://amzn.to/2cB2nqz
    Drill - http://amzn.to/2dhN3xt

34. searcher

Laura´s Marking Knife
    Laura Kampf

Published on Sep 25, 2016
    This week i made a Marking Knife from Olive Wood and a broken Sawblade.
    It´s a present for April Wilkerson :)

I didn´t harden the steel because this Knife will only be used to mark wood...i don´t think it´s necessary to harden it.

This Knife is a present for my friend April...i will meet her in a couple days in New York! woohoo!

Awesome tune by dminor
    find his stuff here
    https://soundcloud.com/dminor
    and here
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sup...

check out my website and my social media here:
    http://laurakampf.com
    https://www.instagram.com/laura_kampf
    https://www.facebook.com/laurakampfkoeln
    https://twitter.com/laura_kampf
    https://www.patreon.com/laurakampf

35. searcher

Tips #274 How to Move a BRIDGEPORT Mill basement tubalcain
    mrpete222

I attempt to show how I moved my BP into my basement shop-20 years ago.

36. searcher

Homemade Anvil DIY Anvil for Blacksmithing
    Wayne Earls

I built this a while back. Simple but effective.

37. searcher

Off Grid Living - Painting Home Base Color Done - New Off Grid Home
    Modern Off Grid DIY

off grid living - Painting house base coloor done - new off grid home

38. searcher

I Have To Do Another Pole (The Scroll Brackets)
    Paul Short

Seeing our American friends from New Hampshire liked the custom pole on our front property they bought it and now it's time to fabricate another one. This video shows me fabricating the custom hanger brackets.
    Please Share,Subscribe and give us a thumbs up.
    Follow us on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/SpecialtyR
    Check out our web site @ http://www.specialtyrepairs.ca/

39. searcher

Odds & Ends 59: Shop Update, Viewer Mail
    Keith Rucker - VintageMachinery.org

Published on Sep 26, 2016
    A mixture of shop topics including a shop update on my new shop - installing the tongue & groove ceiling. Also some viewer mail that has come in over the past few weeks.

Support VintageMachinery.org on Patreon:
    https://www.patreon.com/vintagemachinery

Please Visit: http://www.vintagemachinery.org

Sponsored by:
    American Rotary Phase Converters
    http://www.americanrotary.com
    Use checkout code "Vintage10" for a 10% discount on all AD, ADX and AI converters!

40. searcher