1. Have a Great Weekend!!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Monday, Feb. 20, all U.S. banks and financial markets will be closed in observance of the Presidents Day,
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/17/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1239.10-- Silver $18.03-- Oil $53.78-- USD $100.95 -- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1304.51 (1), SAE $21.15 (20)

Product Review: Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer Jar Attachment

Discussion in 'S & P Products Ratings/Reviews' started by Ishkabibble, May 13, 2012.

1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

It's time for another product review! I've now officially sealed more than 300 mason jars with my Foodsaver and the wide-mouth mason attachment. I've learned a little which could help some fellow GIMMERS. If you haven't seen one yet, there's a pic below. You put it on your jar with the lid (no screw band) and run the Foodsaver. Your jar seals and you take it off to use on the next jar.

1. Yes, I LOVE the device and it works very well. It is worth the $25 or so because it's reliable and well built. The price felt steep until I put it through the paces.
    2. You will occasionally come across a jar that will not work with the attachment. This happens because the attachment uses the jar's sealing band to form a vacuum. The sealing band is a thin ring of glass that sits right below the screw on lid. Some jars have a damaged sealing band (chipped, glass defect) and some have a sealing band that barely protrudes. Those jars won't work. In my experience, about ten jar styles have been good and two have not. The ones that were not had very obvious issues with the sealing band.
    3. If you ever find that good jars aren't sealing, your vacuum hose isn't plugged far enough into the port on the Foodsaver.
    4. There is another brand of vacuum storage sealer that competes with Foodsaver. It too has a vacuum port and works with the attachment. It has a setting for fast or slow, which is wonderful if you are processing dusty powdered foods... the ones that really kick up dust after a pour. However, the fast setting is still much slower than the Foodsaver. I use my Foodsaver 90% of the time, and the other when I have something light like powdered spinach.
    5. The vacuum from the Foodsaver is VERY strong, much stronger than the vacuum from pressure canning. I don't know how much air is left but I do know it's a LOT less.
    6. I've used several types of sealing lids and had no problems getting the attachment to work with any of them. This includes the Tattler reusable canning lids.
    7. No, they don't make a GEM version of this device.
    8. Surprisingly, the capacity of the jar doesn't seem to affect performance. I expected large capacity jars to seal better, but the small ones did just as well.
    9. If you are processing something light and powdery, it helps to put a round piece of waxed paper over the product. This will help prevent the dust from getting out when you suck air from the jar.

I hope that helps a few of you out. I'd recommend this device in a heartbeat, in fact I bought a second for backup so that I'm never without it.

Attached Files:

RoadKing, Po'boy, Eyebone and 4 others like this.
  2. dogman

dogman Seeker Seeker

Jack of all trades , master of some.
    Have had mine for about 4 years now, and I am completely happy with it. The only down side(s) so far found are,

#1. It is possible to suck up dry/wet product into the pump and the valves can be clogged. But that is an easy fix for the ones not afraid of paying attention on how to take apart , clean, and reassemble.

#2. The cost of bag rolls, but eBay and amazon there are good deals out there.

Other than keeping it clean, these machines are workhorses for both bag and jar sealing.

Well worth the investment. Imho!

3. jaxxas

jaxxas Seeker Seeker

Hello all!

New to the forum, been lurking awhile and finally had something to say.

I've been sealing Mason jars with the Sealer Jar attachment for some time now. Though I have a Foodsaver and love it for plastic wrap, I also have a small Robinair vacuum pump that I use on the Mason jars. Pulls up to 27" of vacuum. I'm sure that it doesn't make a difference after adding an O2 absorber, but just in case somebody has an old A/C vacuum pump instead of a FoodSaver, it works wonders. Powdery food stuffs can be a pain, sometimes you can put it in a plastic bag with a small opening near the bottom of the jar. Sometimes it works, sometimes no!

My granddaughter likes to blow up small balloons, put them in an empty half gallon mason jar, and then suck the air out, just to watch them pop near soundlessly in the jar.

Does anybody know if there is ANY FoodSaver compatible mylar bag material?

4. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Silver Member Silver Miner

I used to use vacuum chambers and had that problem. I added a home made trap and that solved it. My trap was a piece of 2" PVC in the hose line. The pumps I used were 3, 5, 7 and 10 CFM. Much stronger than the food saver.

5. jaxxas

jaxxas Seeker Seeker

My Robinair is a 4 cfm.

Any more info or pics on the home made trap? Is it like a an inline moisture trap or such?

6. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

You will not believe me if I told you.
    New to site but have also used my Foodsaver for long term storage. I actually use 1/2 gallon jars to re-package many items. I also use oxygen absorbers and sometimes moisture absorbers with the product in the jar. I check the seals monthly and have not had a "fail". I believe the combination of absorbers and the vacuum will extend the life of things such as rice, wild rice, sugars, pancake mix etc by about 3X. Still testing. Also, they are very well sealed and tougher to unseal than any pressure canned jar. I recently purchased an attachment for "standard" sized lids so I can use it for my many "standard" quart jars but haven't had an opportunity to test it yet.

The key with storing things in canning jars is temperature and light. I am trying to find "canning jar cardboard boxes" to store my canned goods so no light will ever reach them until I open the box.