1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Product Review: Tattler reusable canning lids

Discussion in 'S & P Products Ratings/Reviews' started by Ishkabibble, May 13, 2012.

1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hi everyone,

I received my Tattler lids (widemouth mason and standard mason) two days ago. I have put them to the test and am very pleased. Here are a few things I can tell you about them:

1. The rubber rings are thicker than the rubber found on a disposable canning lid. This means the lids can imprint enough to provide as reliable a seal as the disposable lids. I had no trouble getting my jars to seal.
    2. There are concentric rings around the rubber seals and the lid where the seals touch it. This is smart because it creates a few small ridges that seal independently.
    3. The lids are very slightly oversized, but not enough to cause problems with any sealer rings. Because of the slight oversize dimension, it is easy to catch the lid with your fingers and open it without damaging a rubber ring.
    4. Pressure canning went well. I've read that some people have trouble if they don't read the instructions. I did read them and though there are some differences between using these lids and the disposable ones, I found the process easy and reliable.
    5. The wide-mouth mason lids work exceptionally well with the Foodsaver vacuum system which really surprised me. I dry-canned 30 jars with no trouble at all. I wasn't able to test the standard mason lids with the foodsaver as I lack that attachment.

I wholeheartedly recommend these lids to anyone that cans for their own consumption.

2. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    Been using the regular ones but just picked some of these up. I bought them because they are BPA free; the acid in tomatoes is especially good at liberating BPA I've read.

It is tomato bloat right now, I have a big pot of tomato sauce ready to can.

3. obilly

obilly Silver Member Silver Miner

with regular ball lids less than $0.17 ,,,,that would be $1.99 for 12.. tattler $0.87 for one, $10.50 for 12. sorry math does not add up. i can lid 5 reg jars with disposable lids for the price of lidding 1 jar with a tattler????? JMO

4. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant
    Agreed if price is your motivator. I have a one year old and BPA is an endocrine disrupter that leaches into foods, especially acidic ones like canned tomatoes. Not what I want to think about when enjoying my otherwise pristine home grown food.

5. TnAndy

TnAndy retired guy Platinum Bling

It only works IF you get more than 5 uses out of the Tattler lids.

The weak link in them is the rubber ring, not the lid itself. The "lifetime" lid is useless without that separate ring. Maybe they've changed them since I bought mine years ago, but it looked to me like you wouldn't get that many uses out of the rubber ring before it fell apart from age, or repeated heatings. I just wasn't impressed with the thickness or quality of that rubber. NOTHING like the old rings you could buy for the zinc/porcelin Ball lids of yesteryear.

So, yeah, I have a case of the Tattlers, but I have a WHOLE lot more single piece lids.

I've got some canning to do in the next couple days......I dig out the Tattler lids that have been sitting in storage for about 5 years now, and see how the seal rate does.

BackwardsEngineeer and obilly like this.
  6. obilly

obilly Silver Member Silver Miner

pls let us know TN,,,,,,,i get many uses out of my disposalbe lids after the first pressure canning,,,,the lid is wash and saved reused on pickels we make that are not canned,,,,,they are used on masons for misc storage of open dry goods, they will take to a vacum pack mason, you know results quickly,,,i will not reuse a lid for pressure canning.

7. mnmom

mnmom Seeker Seeker

I've used the tattler before and they do hold up well. I personally didn't find them to be worth the money, but each person has a preference. As for the leeching, your tomatoes shouldn't be touching your lids. Make sure you leave proper head space in your jars when canning.

forgot to mention... if you don't like the kerr or ball lids there are a few amish stores that sell better quality lids for relatively cheap. I get 348 regular gold lids for $42 shipped.
    Dutchman's Store 103 Division St. Cantril, IA 52542. Phone: (319) 397-2322
    http://www.dutchmansstore.com/

8. TnAndy

TnAndy retired guy Platinum Bling

I order my lids from Goodmans.

http://www.goodmans.net/d/603/ball-canning-lids-caps-bands.htm

60 dozen regular lids are 96 bucks

36 dozen large mouth are 85 bucks

9. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant
    Canned a bunch of tomato sauce using them, seemed straightforward. We"ll see about the re-usability, but like I said I'm primarily looking to avoid BPA. Of course who knows what other sinister chemicals are in these.....

Fat times right now in the garden!

10. phoneman

phoneman Silver Member Silver Miner

While surfing the net this am, came to an emergency message about the new Ball lids. They state that you don't heat new lids like in the past, and the lids will only hold for 1 year. Sealent on new lids is much thinner. Maybe that is why you don't heat the lids. It was stated that Tattler lids are only lids that should hold up longer than Ball lids. Jordan owns Ball now and would not respond to questions about new 1 year only lids. Have put off canning for a couple of years now due to more pressing issues and moving to new location, taking care of more important home projects. I have 2 brand new canners that have not been used, and quite a few cases of canning jars. Wanting to can for survival purposes, one year of storage just won't get it. Could anyone comment on this issue. Very discouraged.