1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by AGRO, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Cytic

Cytic New Member

I trade/sell 40% for .999. Right now my 90% stack is not as big as I would like.

ME Co. likes this.
  2. ME Co.

ME Co. Silver Member Silver Miner

I know that feeling. I only traded 90% once and that was for gold when the ratio was more favorable. Always ship off my 40% for cash to hunt with.
    I'm pretty near to tradin when I can when I can get a little more .999 for my 90%. Around here 90% isn't wanted except real cheap but 999 always in demand. HH Mark

3. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

What should I expect to get for my 40% these days? Last time I asked I was offered 70% of melt......

4. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

You could always list them in the Buy and Sell area on GIM2. You'll definitely do much better than 70% because there are some on this forum that really do like the 40%. You should be able to get much closer to spot less shipping costs. Offer at 90% of spot and it will probably go pretty quick. Otherwise, I'd sell on them eBay. Even after expenses (eBay/PayPal/Shipping), you'll be right at 90% of spot. Don't ask me why, but even the 40% stuff is selling at about $2 over spot (yikes!!!!) 70% is just too low in the current market, but no dealer is going to offer a good price for 40%. I've sold several hundred dollars of the stuff this way (on GIM2 and eBay) and have never cleared less than 90%.

PhucilliJerry likes this.
  5. ny86yanks

ny86yanks Seeker Seeker

6. samwiii

More than $3 over spot. I wouldn't pay it.

7. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

sjlund and samwiii like this.
  8. ny86yanks

ny86yanks Seeker Seeker

noted....i will check out that member....

yea $3 over spot....would u be happy now if u bought silver at $3 over spot when it was 10 an oz? yes.

9. samwiii

Of course; who wouldn't be? You could argue I'd be happy now having payed $25/oz when silver was $10 but I think everyone would agree that at the time that would have been insane because you could get the stuff for well below spot. I'm not saying it's not possible to make money on paying $3 over for 90% and I'm not even saying it's a bad deal; I'm just saying better deals can be had if your goal is stacking more silver. You can get .999 for less than $3 over spot shipped (Silver Town's 5oz is about $2.65 over shipped) or even .999 ASE's for nearly the same price as junk if you only want to stick to Gov't issued silver. Unless you're into numismatics, the whole point of buying 90% is to get cheap fractional silver, and right now, it just ain't cheap. Some stackers are even considering trading up some of their 90% for .999 because of where premiums are at. Just some food for thought; as many here will say - When silver hits $50, none of this will matter much anyway.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. sjlund

sjlund New Member

11. rodzm

rodzm Gold Member Gold Chaser

Medic
    Dont buy 90% from Sandro...

Otherwise there would be none left for me. Great guy to work with and with hard to beat prices

12. ME Co.

That time of the week again, I got 33 Roos out of 46 boxes. HH all, Mark

13. ME Co.

6 more Roos tonight, YTD 469 slivers. HH Mark

14. ME Co.

Bit of luck today at the digs. Wasn't able to pick up todays dimes so I called my bag bank to see what they had. Had a half bag of dimes and a half bag of halves- I even took the Nick and Cent bags the silver has been so poor lately. Got a '64 and (9) 40% out of the halves, dime bag gave up a Roo. Couple other dime boxes I had here gave up a 1907 Barber and another Roo. Not a bad way to spend an evening.
    HH all, Mark

15. Cytic

Cytic New Member

Not much luck with the silver but I have found a ton of proofs in the last few boxes of halves I bought. 32 in one box and 29 from another.

Before these two boxes I would get a single proof here and there but nothing like this.

Are rolls of proofs produced by the mint or do they only come in the proof sets?

16. ME Co.

Only in proof sets. Looks like one of your fellow hunters got low on funds and dumped his hoard. I used to sell them when I got 100 or more, I've also dumped my fair share when I got tired of waiting on a buyer. Now I've got a friend who buys all I find $1 apiece face to face, not worth shipping or CL BS for less than quantity.
    HH Mark

samwiii likes this.
  17. Cytic

Cytic New Member

Cool. I have close to 75 now after today's boxes. A BUNCH of 1973s and a mix of everything else from the 70s thru 2006.

18. ME Co.

Trash day again. I neglected my weekly count this week but I know I found a few more than the other week which was 17 and out of only 36 boxes and a $500 bag. Did find a few halves too. Anyways month to date I'm at 50 and YTD I hit 699. Hope this improved streak continues, need about a roll/week to cover expenses.
    HH all, Mark
    :beer1:

samwiii and newmisty like this.
  19. samwiii

With the dive Silver's taken, I think I'm gonna try to make my mark where the REAL money is. Picked up a bag with over $35 in WHEATIES, all at face value. Just wait 'til I report that 1909 S VDB. Silver Shmilver.
    Oh, and I got two boxes of halves. :fisheye:

ME Co. likes this.
  20. samwiii

Nice that you have a ready purchaser. I typically sell mine on fleabay for $5.00 each. After shipping, expenses, fees, etc.. I net right at $2.00 each. I don't mind the 300% return and it helps me keep my PowerSeller / Top Rated status to get the 20% discount on my larger sales (otherwise I wouldn't meet the 100 sale threshold). Honestly, I remain surprised that people will pay $5 for a circulated proof with bag marks, but I guess they serve a purpose of filling in some blanks in a collection at a lower price.

21. samwiii

Update: 4 90% Kennedy's and 3 40%, all in the same box. Happy happy.

22. ME Co.

Hope my 2 boxes of halves today have some. HH Mark

23. ME Co.

Guess when silver drops in price it even hides at the banks. Yep SKUNKED today on two boxes of halves and 7 or 8 dime boxes. HH all, Mark

24. ME Co.

Not a good week for the hunt. 45 dime boxes gave up 15 slivers and got skunked on 2 boxes of halves. Hope next week is better.
    HH all, Mark

25. Pyramid

:thumbs_down: for this month. 1-90% and 2-40% out of the first 2 boxes, then a SKUNK streak of 6 and counting. Hope you folks are doing better than me, good luck out there.

26. ME Co.

Got 17 slivers this week and (4) 40% halves. I'm at 82 dimes for the month- down from over 200 I was used to getting out of roughly 200 boxes. I think I'm gonna start winding this thing down and start switching over to gold diggin mode. Maybe the silver gods will throw a bunch my way to keep ME addicted before I up and quit for good.
    HH all, Mark

27. ME Co.

Time to put Aprils finds in the record books, not that it broke any records.
    Here goes April:
    Dimes = 82
    90% halves = 1
    40% halves = 14
    War Nicks = 5

YTD I'm at
    Dimes = 731 (before this month my average was 216+)
    90% halves = 17 (before this month my average was 5+)
    40% halves = 57 (40% still on par, but I want the 90%)
    War Nicks = 13 (don't even care)

Think I need a vacation. HH all, Mark

newmisty likes this.
  28. ME Co.

Had a good half dollar hunt yesterday, skunked on one box but the other had (6) 40%ers. Also did some dimes and got 2 Roos. Going camping tomarrow to try to regain some sanity, always try to get there in time to drop off trailer and get to town and clean out the banks of their halves- maybe I can make gas money.
    HH all, Mark :beerglass:

samwiii likes this.
  29. ME Co.

The silver gods are up to their tricks again, trying to sucker ME back. I likes the silver they're throwing at ME but I'z gonna play hard to get for awhile longer.

Anyways fun night with dimes, got 13 Roos out of 10 boxes today- feels like the Mother Lode compared to recent finds. Headin for the hills in the morn.

HH all, Mark:beerglass:

30. Tanker

Tanker New Member

I tried to dabble at this last year but the only bank in town (Key) said I'd have to order any large coin quantities and that the local sherrif's deputy comes by weekly (prospect) what loose coinage they have on hand.

So what do these small banks do with their excess coinage if it's not prospected? Do they send it to a District/State level bank or nearest Fed. Reserve Bank or to the mint. Hmmmm, I just thought of that, I guess I'll go ask and compare what their bilingual GED teller says they do.

Lastly, You guys are a bad influence...I can spend hours just reading your stories. Thanks!

I think I'll finally take the plunge and try my hand (location) at this so what do you recommend I try, any one have better odds than the others: Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, Halves or Dollars?

31. ME Co.

I used to get half dollars from a Key bank or two here so I'd say give it a shot. They usually have to order two boxes at a time so that would be a grand- but nothing to lose. Only problem I see would be dumping the clad if there isn't another bank handy to use. Key bank will grow tired of you quickly if they have to order the coin for you then pay to ship it off a few days later- you could always turn into the guy who pays for everything in half dollars, obviously the bank would get them back but not directly from you and the Deputy would be in for a huge letdown first time he got to pick up a couple hundred in halves and not a single keeper:thumbs_up:. You may be in an area where the armored car service is sitting on a bunch of old boxes and hit the Mother Lode- only one way to find out.
    HH Mark

32. ME Co.

Like I said before the silver gods are trying to suck ME back in. Funny happenings last couple days, went to dump some coin and my friendly teller says they have a box of halves that they ordered for some lady, she took one box but never came back for the other. They always know I'll take whatever they want to get rid of with ME knowing this will be a waste of time. Anyways get home, cut the lid open and there's Ben lookin at ME- was the only thing in the box but still worthwhile. Next day I had 2 to pick up at a weekly stop so I got those and got to remembering another branch had said their guy had stopped picking his halves up and I could have them- I remembered I didn't want them that day and couldn't remember if I had went back for them or not. So I hurriedly searched and went there to dump, cashing out I said I would take them halves if they still had them. How many? Well all of them of course. $2470?, I took $1K and said I would get the rest later. Out of my earlier 2 I had got (2) '64 and (4) 40%ers, the other 2 gave up 2 more '64 and another 40%. Funny how you plod along not finding nothing but afraid to quit and miss something- at least I am. That other guy, quit too soon. I know at least one other branch he picked up at that has quit ordering for him, will find out tomarrow if he picked up his last loads- Oh and I told the one branch already they can start ordering them again and I'll pick them up. Today I got my weekly "good" dime pickup- 15 slivers out of 7 boxes.
    HH all, Mark

33. Tanker

Tanker New Member

Ya that's what I was thinking about, 'course they might start calling be 50 cent yo:D. Or set up a few accounts in other towns nearby and make deposits with rolled halves or dump them back in until I could buy a box from each of them also, crazy idea? Do banks get perturbed when all you do is dump coins onto them?

[/QUOTE]and the Deputy would be in for a huge letdown first time he got to pick up a couple hundred in halves and not a single keeper:thumbs_up:. You may be in an area where the armored car service is sitting on a bunch of old boxes and hit the Mother Lode- only one way to find out.
    HH Mark[/QUOTE] That's a fun thought, might even be a way to meet him and getting in good with a local Deputy wouldn't be a bad thing if he's a good guy.

Thanks
    Mark

34. ME Co.

My feelings about the banks is reflected other places on this forum, basically I don't like them. Dumping a $hitload of coin on them is my way of getting even. Always nice and pleasant with the tellers though, and I always give out a little candy to the ladies who have to do some manual labor. Don't want to be "That a$$hole that makes me carry them heavy boxes", instead I'm "That nice guy that brings me candy".
    Good luck to ya, Mark

35. Tanker

Tanker New Member

Reasonable perspective.

Yup, I've found a little sweet talk and a bit of flirtation goes a long way on a slow day:grin10:.

Looks like I'll be giving this a try; I'll keep you updated on what I find.

Wish me a little noobs luck.

Thanks.

36. ME Co.

Doesn't look like I posted totals for the week before so I don't know what I found this last week- I do know I only threw away 20 empty boxes this morning so was a slow week. So far for May I'm at (43) dimes, (5) 90% halves, (11) 40% halves and (1) War Nick. YTD I'm at (774) dimes, (22) 90% halves, (68) 40% halves and (14) War Nicks. Now next trash day I will be able to calculate finds.
    HH all, Mark

newmisty likes this.
  37. Pyramid

2-90% and 9-40% out of 10 boxes for May; nearly all of which came out of this week's boxes, so hopefully that's a prelude to the future. Otherwise, the last 3 months continue to be tough sledding.

Good luck gold mining ME Co.!!!! :cheers::beer1::smokin:

38. ME Co.

About time for another sabatical with odds and ends hunting mixed in here and there. Cancelled all my orders, heading out on a road trip early Monday for a week or two and hope to head for the hills when I get back for some exercise.
    May totals:
    Dimes 64
    90% halves 5
    40% halves 12
    War Nick 1

YTD
    dimes 795
    90% halves 22
    40% halves 69
    War nicks 14

Not a bad run on dimes but everything else sucked. HH all, Mark

39. samwiii

Been a while since I last posted, but got transferred at work and have had a bit of a break from prospecting. Sorted a box yesterday and now wonder why I took a time out. Got 14 40% and 3 90%; looks like the fever's going to strike again. Plus, found this in my change the other day. Anyone notice anything different about this? I posted it in the "do you sort your pocket change" thread and not a peep.

scan0001.jpg

Mr Paradise and Tinbox like this.
  40. rodzm

rodzm Gold Member Gold Chaser

Medic
    Yeah thats gotta be fake. If it checks out you hit the jackpot