1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by AGRO, Apr 1, 2010.

1. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

Got 6 of 'em and they are real 1943 D's. But, as you surmise, they are simply copper plated and the magnet pulls them right out of the batch. :( Still, they're interesting enough to have in the collection.

2. samwiii

Got a full roll of 40% Kennedy's from my bank teller today :) She said a lady turned them in and had taken out "all the good ones", meaning the 1964's. I told my teller it's ALL good and to keep 'em coming! Had a little pep in my step walking out the door...

newmisty likes this.
  3. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I forayed into sorting for the first time last weekend. Out of $200 worth of half dollar rolls, I got (7) 40% and a Franklin. Six of the 40% came from one roll. What I found that was really interesting though, was that I also got seven halves from 2005, 2009 and 2010, including four 2009-D.

4. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I did so well on the first batch, the next time I bought $520 worth of halves. I was skunked on 52 rolls!

WhyKnow likes this.
  5. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Sometimes it pays to deal in cash. :D

My wallet was stolen a couple of weeks ago, so my debit cards and forms of ID were taken along with it. Now I have to go to the bank to make a withdrawl. Also have to write checks to make purchases but can only do that at places that know me.

While I was at the counter, I noticed a bunch of dirty looking coins in the tellers coin rack. I asked if I could purchase them and was told no problem. She said that she thought they could be silver.

Hee, hee. Farging eh right they were.

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

Thats 7- 1964 Kennedy halves (no mint mark) at face value. Still high off of it. :bear_thumb:

Thecrensh, newmisty, samwiii and 2 others like this.
  6. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

Maybe if karma was working in tune, the donkey that stole your wallet was taking a kick to the groin at the time that you were getting the free silver.

Attached Files:

hammerhead likes this.
  7. Cytic

Cytic New Member

Thats your beginner's luck right there. Your next 12 boxes will be skunks. ;)

Last week I did $4500 and got skunked. Its very hit or miss.

newmisty likes this.
  8. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

A whole lot better this time! 27 rolls: (32) 40%, (2) '64 Kennedy's, a roll of 96-P BU, a 2009-P and a 1976-S proof. Seriously! Who circulates a proof coin?

Attached Files:

newmisty and samwiii like this.
  9. samwiii

Nice! Do this long enough and you'll be able to put together a whole set of proofs, although I usually sell them when I can get a decade set together. They're being tossed by the same people who are recirculating the silvers. And don't forget to pull out all the shiny 2000-2013 P&D's. You can more than double your money on eBay with full sets of those while adding a few more "eureka's" to keep your treasure-hunting spirits up on those long skunk streaks.

10. Cytic

Cytic New Member

Found a '64 quarter in a CWR today. Nice little surprise :cool05:

11. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

This week: 25 rolls yielded a 2003-P, a 2007-P and no silver.:hmpf:

12. Tallbassguy

Tallbassguy New Member

Safety Professional
    This past Friday I stopped by a bank and asked for some half dollars.
    They had 3 rolls available...I'll take them I said.

Now this is the first time in several months that I have roll searched. Kinda got tired of being skunked every time.

So I go out to my car and start looking through them...
    1st roll...
    2 90% Kens and 5 40% Kens...YEAH BABY!
    Other 2 rolls ...nothing.

So yeah it was a good feeling to find some.
    I proceeded to go to every bank in my area asking for halves...bought 26 more rolls...skunked!
    Oh well...I'll be out there looking.

13. JOE SIXPACK

JOE SIXPACK New Member

hey all!

been a while since i posted here, haven't had much to speak of since that monster box a while back. i've kept plugging away at it though. ya can't win if ya don't play!

thought i'd stop by and share my latest results to help with morale.

2 $500 boxes of wrapped halves yielded 1 '67, 2 '68's, & 1 '64.

bonus: bosnia hercegovina 5KM coin worth ~37 cents. :sad_m: i sold it back to the teller for 50 cents(yes, i told her it's real value of ~37 cents).

carry on!
    J6P

EDIT: i guess i never posted that monster box on here, or it got deleted somehow...... ?????

out of 1 $500 box of halves: 77 40%'ers and 1 '51 frankie, the other box was a skunk.

^ that was a great day!

J6P

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Coin Roll Hunting Thread?

Can someone point me to a coin roll hunting thread. I've tried searching but the list is to long and most aren't relevant to what I am searching for.

thx

15. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Re: Coin Roll Hunting Thread?

How about we put this in the proper forum for starters?

Maybe the coin forum?

16. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Goldhedge and Tinbox like this.
  17. curmudgeonista

curmudgeonista Banned

How silly of someone to post a question about coins/PM's in an open area of a forum whose very name suggests its focus is gold (and by extension, silver). :sarc:

I appreciate the work you do as a Mod here, but it might be time to rethink the role. The joo-bashing, conspiracy theories, and other such proliferate BS are what go off-topic. Yet, those things are allowed to stay while discussion of PM's must be swept of into a sub-forum along with rebuking a member for not knowing the ins-and-outs of the site (although admittedly mildly so)?

18. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

OK, fine, now, just how do you teach someone how to post properly,

IF YA DON'T TELL'EM ??:vollkommenauf:

BTW, I think that is one of the mod's responsibilities, ehh ??

Goldhedge likes this.
  19. curmudgeonista

curmudgeonista Banned

No problem with that. But it shouldn't be necessary to imply the OP or anyone else is doing something wrong to ask about coins/gold/silver anywhere on the site that isn't specifically sequestered (presumably sequestered so as to keep off-topic threads out of the discussion pertaining to the declared main theme of the forum).

20. Goldhedge

Tech

FYI I moved it to the open area from the Beginner's Forum...

and now I'm gonna move it to where G3 suggested, because I didn't know myself!

You're so, so practical!

How about instead you stay out of the Dog House forum where these 'other such proliferate BS' posts ARE allowed? (and where the casual observer aka non-member, has no access).

That will serve 2 purposes.

1. You won't see them.

2. We won't have to listen you your whining about it...

Have a good day sir!

Ahillock likes this.
  21. Goldhedge

Tech

You have no idea! :grin10: It's a daily occurrence - heck, even I post stuff in the wrong forum!

22. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

I hope he can find his post and where to go. :bear_blink:

Goldhedge likes this.
  23. Goldhedge

Tech
    I'll send him/her the link!

24. curmudgeonista

curmudgeonista Banned

It's not the threads in the Dog House I'm talking about. It all the ones in the open that ought to be in there.

Though, to be fair, some of the stuff is in the DH is beyond acceptable even for the loony bin.

25. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Awesome! Thanks for pointing me here. I haven't hunted in a couple of years. When I did I would hunt only for silvers only but I would find numerous proofs and 2000-2012 BU's. My LCS did not care much for them so I didn't keep them.

I am thinking about starting it up again. I was at my local Chase branch to make a cash withdrawal and asked for some half dollars. I got a 1942 walking liberty and a 1967 Kennedy out of the nine halves the branch had. I probably went through 20 boxes in 2012 and only got 2 90%'s, a '64 Kennedy and '63 Franklin. When I started to get 1 40% per box I gave up.

I thought everyone was full of crap when they said they were finding walking liberty's but being I got one without even trying it was encouraging to know they are still out there.

26. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

They are very few and far between these days. I just stopped buying half boxes last week because the pickens are so slim..... 40%ers still come around somewhat regularly, but I went the whole month of December without any keepers and only 4 40%ers in January. Time for me to stop wasting my time on those. I still sort dimes every week, averaging 1.27 dimes p/box so far this year. As soon as I hit a goal I had for this I'm done with dimes too. Should be about the end of April/early May or so if numbers "keep up" at the current rate.

Seems the best way to prospect halves these days is to just ask for customer wrapped coin or loose coin the tellers have. Good boxes are quite rare now.......

Good luck if you do start hunting again, let us know if you have any success........

samwiii and plata_oro like this.
  27. JOE SIXPACK

JOE SIXPACK New Member

this month's results:

2 $500 boxes of loomis wrapped halves yielded 1 1936 walker and 1 goofy gold-plated '83 kenny.

you can't win if you don't play...

J6P

28. sjlund

sjlund New Member

I had 2 great dime boxes last night - 8 roosies in the first and 16 roosies + 2 mercs in the second. 8 was my best box of dimes ever until I opened the next one and nailed 18!

samwiii and PhucilliJerry like this.
  29. PhucilliJerry

Damn, nice find. My best box ever was 11. It has been all 1's and 0's recently, then a 5 and a 3 last night had me all happy........

samwiii likes this.
  30. sjlund

sjlund New Member

The last 12 weeks have been pretty much awful for dimes, but my 2014 numbers are looking much better now!

31. PhucilliJerry

Same here on the awful part, just 9 out of the last 7 boxes, not great at all.

But it could get better, there should be quite a few more dimes out there real soon. A teller who looks for silver coins at my drop bank had a woman come in with lots of silver coin after her husband passed not long ago. They told her it was worth more than the face value she would get there but she didn't want to deal with it. So she dumped 247 silver quarters, 73 silver halves (Franklins and Walkers), 412 silver dimes, and a 104 nickels, but not all war nicks, some were buffaloes into their coin machine. And turned in another 22 peace dollars to the tellers. The teller then pulled the quarters and halves from the bags and bought them, but his manager told him he would be fired if he did it again, so 412 dimes, mostly mercs and a couple barbers were off to the Fed or wherever they go either last Friday or today, along with the nickels.

It got even more interesting when I went to one of my pickup banks later on Friday and they told me about a customer who came in with a lot of silver coins and some old pennies and they told her not to turn them in for face, that they were worth a lot more. They wouldn't take the silver coins anyway because they weren't rolled, but took the pennies, which turned out to be an entire box of wheat pennies, at least I think entire, I haven't checked all of the rolls yet. But a few of the rolls actually had 52 wheats in them......

Anyway, the pickup bank called the woman and asked her if she still had the coins because I offered to buy at spot and the lady said she dropped them at my drop bank but that she was trying to get them back after her kids found out she just dumped them and were furious with her. Not only did she only get face value but she isn't a customer at my drop bank so she paid a 6% fee on top of that. I feel bad that this guy's collecting is just getting discarded like this. Please tell someone you love/trust about the value and location of your stashes so this doesn't happen to you.

The teller who pulled the coins sold the quarters and most of the halves already, so I can't see her getting anything back. They're not her's anymore anyway. But just a heads up that there could be a lot more mercs out there real soon and to make sure somebody knows what to do with your stacks when that time comes for you.

samwiii likes this.
  32. sjlund

sjlund New Member

It might be worth loosing a crappy teller job for $2k+ in silver coins!

33. PhucilliJerry

My thoughts too, the turnover there is very high anyway, of about 10 tellers, only 2 that were there when I started 2.5 years ago are still there, only 1 full timer and she's the head teller. Already 3 new tellers in 2014. He's not happy there for sure and was promised a different role when he transferred from another branch but it never happened. Even if he doesn't get fired over the coins, I can't see him being there much longer. They get a lot of coin turned in to that branch so I'm sure it was a nice supplement to his salary being able to check the bags before sending them off. I'll be at both banks tomorrow, very curious to see if anything has changed.

34. samwiii

Manager was probably just jealous that HE didn't find them. So, in what metro area do we need to look out for those coins :) Although with my skunk streak, I'm convinced Brinks/Garda/Loomis are sorting out the silver themselves.

35. PhucilliJerry

Could be, although she doesn't seem like the type that would be doing that at all. I'm positive she thinks I'm an idiot for doing this, but then again I'm sure others do as well, I might even think so at recent success rates.

I'm in NH, so I assume these will be going to Boston for redistribution.

The best for dimes that I have found are Garda and then Loomis. Back when I was turning over $4-6k a week I would stop buying from banks that had Brinks, except for halves. Most of my long skunk streaks were at the hands of Brinks dime boxes. But those Brinks half boxes were the only half boxes I ever had success with, which flew in the face of my theory that Brinks was sorting dimes out..... If they were sorting out dimes, why wouldn't they be doing halves too? I was having some success a while back with Brinks half boxes, never got anything out of those long flat yellow boxes though.

36. PhucilliJerry

So the teller isn't going to be fired, but they made all of the tellers return the Peace dollars to the woman. They told her there was nothing they could do about the other coins that got bagged and that they had already been sent to the Fed. So those dimes and nickels are out there somewhere.......
    Hoping she will bring those Peace dollars to the other bank so I can buy them from her at spot, I should find out on Wednesday or sooner if they call me.

The box of pennies was indeed all wheats. No special dates or non-circulated pennies though.

Last 4 dime boxes yielded one silver Roo, ugh.

37. JOE SIXPACK

JOE SIXPACK New Member

this month's results:

2 $500 boxes of halves yielded 1 '67 kenny.

tough month!

J6P

samwiii likes this.
  38. samwiii

JOE SIXPACK and PhucilliJerry like this.
  39. PhucilliJerry

samwiii likes this.
  40. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

My great haul? I found a beat up silver war nickel the other day.

A few weeks ago, I found a proof 1961 nickel in a roll. Excellent BU condition. Worth about a dime I figure.