1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by AGRO, Apr 1, 2010.

1. gold4278

gold4278 Silver Member Silver Miner

Are halves from 2000-2014 worth more? I saw something mentioned about them above and I am new to prospecting.

2. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

Prior to 2002, halves were circulated through the banking system and mintages for both P and D were generally over 10,000,000 each, usually around 20,000,000. Starting in 2002 halves were not circulated by the mint, but were only sold to collectors at a small premium. Here are the mintages from 2002 - 2011:

2002 P - 3,100,000
    2002 D - 2,500,000
    2003 P - 2,500,000
    2003 D - 2,500,000
    2004 P - 2,900,000
    2004 D - 2,900,000
    2005 P - 3,800,000
    2005 D - 3,500,000
    2006 P - 2,400,000
    2006 D - 2,000,000
    2007 P - 2,400,000
    2007 D - 2,400,000
    2008 P - 1,700,000
    2008 D - 1,700,000
    2009 P - 1,900,000
    2009 D - 1,900,000
    2010 P - 1,700,000
    2010 D - 1,800,000
    2011 P - 1,700,000
    2011 D - 1,750,000

2012, 2013 and 2014 halves are currently available from the mint website in 200 coin bags and two roll sets. 1970 and 1987 halves were also only sold at a premium to collectors.

Although relatively rare, 2002 to 2011 halves will not sell for much more than face value.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

I typically sell full sets of 2000 - 2014 P and D at twice face value and every set I've listed on the bay has sold within the 5 day auctions I typically use. Not a lot of money, but still worth it since I'm doing the searching anyway. When edge searching for silver, these year's edges stand out as being particularly bright and clean, so they stand out pretty easily and don't take much more work. Bear in mind that only full sets generally sell for an acceptable premium.

I just need a 2008 D to complete another set :)

b_cahill and gold4278 like this.
  4. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well, your success motivated me to ask for customer wrapped rolls, shut out at most banks, but my normal Saturday morning pick up bank was flush with customer wrapped coin, $920 in dimes, $16 in pennies, and some of the other denominations. I bought the ones I mentioned........ wait for it. wait for it. wait for it. SKUNKED!!!!!! Not 1 silver out of $920 worth of dimes. UGH. Looking at the bright side, I got 184 lightly used dime wrappers out of it and the vault teller is going to hold all customer wrapped coin for me to buy instead of sending it off, so maybe I'll get samwii lucky someday........

samwiii likes this.
  5. samwiii

You probably got the old man's searched dump instead of the "widder woman's". ;) I know some prospectors that are now only searching CWR's and have given up on boxes. With your teller saving them for you, I think you'll see your luck pick up. Hope to hear your "not a skunk" story soon!

And your "on the bright side" did make me chuckle...

6. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    The 90% silver ones will, but not the 40%. When I used to roll search, someone else was marking the edges with a black sharpie. Since I was also looking for NIFC (not intended for circulation - the 2002 and after halves) and other varieties, I did searching by date. I found a handful of 40% halves that were passed over by someone doing edge searching. Unfortunately, many boxes I had were skunks or worse yet shorted as pennies, dimes, and quarters slipped into rolls instead of halves. So I was actually losing money on the skunk boxes and the 40% yields were so little that it wasn't worth it anymore.

7. samwiii

I'm sorry - I wasn't clear in my post. The "bright and shiny" test is what I use to locate 2000 - 2014 coins without bothering to look at the all the dates to save time. Some of those years may slip through for not standing out so prominently, but in those cases, I wouldn't want them anyway. I still search for Silver based on the solid edges and even the 40% have a certain look that you get accustomed to seeing; sometimes solid, sometimes appearing "striped" like the copper-nickel but the "stripe" is dark instead of copper colored. If a coin doesn't have the obvious copper stripe, I check it. You are right about the edge markings, though. I'm starting to see more and more coins with their edges colored solid by silver sharpie or chalk. At least I haven't been taking losses on shorts, though (although I did get a 1930's Australian Penny in my last box - but I kept it). Sorry to hear that happening to you.

8. PhucilliJerry

That's what I'm thinking, but he's doing it wrong re-rolling all of those dimes. What a waste of time. Once I hit my goal in dimes I'll stop ordering boxes and switch to only CWRs. Me too, hopefully one of these days.......

Hehehehe, at this point I have 2 paper grocery bags full of "lightly" used coin rolls.

I pulled the proof's, but not the 2002 and newer halves. I never paid attention to that, wish I had now..... Only a few times did I find non-halves in the boxes. One time it was half of a fake Kennedy half that screwed together for a tiny hidden compartment.

I never looked at dates unless they had the "proof" look to them. The proofs seemed to be thicker. I've got quite a few of those I should liquidate soon since I won't be doing half boxes again for quite a while, if ever again.

samwiii likes this.
  9. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

This statistical approach to the probability of finding silver coins is not much use to us, but the comments at the bottom are fun to read.

Can I Find Any 1964 Silver Quarters?

10. JOE SIXPACK

JOE SIXPACK New Member

april's results:

2 $500 boxes wrapped halves yielded 1 '69 kenny, period.

ya can't win if ya don't play...

J6P

11. ME Co.

ME Co. Silver Member Silver Miner

Been a good long while since I been able to post here, got a new IPad now (still not much fun typing but better than my phone). Haven't been hunting silver for months just nicks (I got it all already- even the dimes). I've built 3 Jefferson sets in the last 6 or so months with 2 more just waiting for the 50D, month ago I got a box with 32 buffs that filled 15 holes my folder which is now over half full. I know you all just wanna read about the good stuff, how's this? When I dump coin I always have .24 or .74, week ago teller gave ME a sliver, about the 10th time that happened since I started this madness in '07. What? Not good enough? Coin show last weekend I sold half dozen nicks and one cent for $300, course I spent that and more on gold ha! Been poundin out some coin rings from the finds of old and have a hankerin to make one out of gold so I got a $10 Indian that's been cleaned for melt, think I will practice on a few more slivers before I tackle that one,

Glad some of yous are still findin some slivers, wish I could- I tested another 10 boxes of dimes awhile ago for nadda.

HH all, Mark

12. samwiii

Thanks ME for the bump. Pickins sure have been slim since my big - ass haul in March. I've managed to put together an almost roll of 40% halves (1 short) and a single silver dime. Zip on 90% halves. The jig is up, but the compulsive need to keep trying, albeit only occasionally, is still there.

13. ME Co.

Yea no fun when your not findin, thas why I went to nicks- gotta search something. I'm needing to get back to gold diggin anyways, life in the city sucks after too long. HH all, Mark

14. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Yo ME Co,
    Wassup !?!? You are not way up in the hills this summer ????
    P.S. Agnut says " hi "...

ME Co. likes this.
  15. ME Co.

not yet but I better get there soon, feelin a lil psychotic stuck in the city like I am.
    Yea I owe that nutcase big time for his advice but then again I'm the one that ran with it. Changed my life at that time. Wish I had found GIM a year or 2 earlier Id be rich Ha! BTW U got mail. HH Mark

16. HaroldS

HaroldS Seeker Seeker

I can't even get halves at my bank(s) Was told yesterday the only ones they get in are from customers and they go out immediately. I actually like to have them to spend. Gives me a tickle when even sometimes an older cashier studies it as if it is play money. The younger ones often turn to another cashier or mgr and ask about it.

17. samwiii

Got myself a random CWR of halves today. Figured what the heck...and got my first 1893 Columbian Exposition half dollar from prospecting, as well as a gold-plated 1996 Kennedy half that's worth about, oh, $0.50, but it makes for a nice conversation piece. The Columbian is heavily tarnished but well struck and not worn. Other than that, I've only found a random silver dime a couple of weeks ago. The pickens have just gotten much too slim.

18. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

My God man, that is just beautiful. :bear_thumb:

Picked up a roll of 68's and a roll of 69's today from the same bank that I snagged a roll of 67's from 2 weeks ago. Slim pickings on the 90%ers.

Question??? What do you do with the halves after you search them? I dump mine in my credit union, but that leaves me from asking if they get any new ones. Oh the dillema.

samwiii likes this.
  19. samwiii

That's quite alright. I'd take rolls of 40%ers any day! I dump at TCF. They have a self-serve coin counter, so all I need to do is give them the printed receipt to deposit. They really just don't care.

hammerhead likes this.
  20. msolorio3

msolorio3 Seeker Seeker

Speech Pathologist
    Ok, so I'm looking for something to keep my retired Father in law occupied. So, I went out and bout 275.00 worth of dimes and pennies. We found 3 Rosie's and 1 Merc! I know it isn't much but just like my dad says, 'something is better than nothing.' Plus, I bought 13 rolls of quarter and scored one 1964 quarter. Not bad for a rookie!

PhucilliJerry likes this.
  21. PhucilliJerry

Awesome, nice finds. 1 quarter out of 13 rolls is damn good based on my experience. And 4 silvers out of $250 in dimes is better than I was averaging. If I remember correctly I was down around 1.7 silver dimes per box. I've just been too busy to prospect anymore, but would certainly do it again..... Good luck and I hope your success continues.

Mr Paradise and Weatherman like this.
  22. samwiii

b_cahill and PhucilliJerry like this.
  23. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I hadn't checked any rolls in quite a while, but I was at the bank yesterday and asked if they had any halves. The teller told me she only had loose ones, but she opened a drawer and found two rolls. I asked if they had any in the vault, and after checking with the manager she found out that they had ten more. In twelve rolls, I found a '66, a '68 D and a '07 D. My son's Kennedy collection was missing the '07 D, so I felt that it was worth the trouble. What I found a bit odd though, was that about 40% of them were AU '94 D.

Hystckndle, samwiii and PhucilliJerry like this.
  24. samwiii

I'll bet those '94's were dumped by a collector who didn't want to store them any longer or the relatives of a deceased collector who had obtained uncirculated rolls when the new years were released. Some collectors hit the banks every year to get rolls of the newly released uncirculated coins before they get out. I actually made some bucks doing this with boxes of pennies when they started printing different reverses and then switched to the "shield". I would sell a new box of P's and D's for double their face value. Crazy! But I never could sell just one mint mark; you had to have both to get a good buyer. I'm still sitting of a new box of 2014Ps; never could find the D's. Oh, well. They're still worth the $25 I paid to get them.

b_cahill and Hystckndle like this.
  25. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    [​IMG]

Got it in my change yesterday as I bought a 47 cent fuse.:thumbs_up:

26. JOE SIXPACK

JOE SIXPACK New Member

i'm still plugging away at this... very slim pickings though. mostly 40%ers, once in a while i'll snag a 90%er. i shall not give up the fight!!!

J6P

Mr Paradise likes this.
  27. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    I always scrutinize Canadian coins. There is a lot of variety in various mintage years. I have a couple of silver Cuck dimes and many of their copper pennies. I look at every coin that has passed through my hands since 2005 and only have five U.S. dimes to show for my efforts.

28. PhucilliJerry

Past prospecting could pay off again if you used Penny Arcade at TD Bank:

http://www.pennyarcadesettlement.com/index

Payout set at $0.26 per $100 transacted..... If the court approves next January......

10/27 is the deadline to submit a claim form if you used it but didn't have a TD account. If you had an account, payout will be automatic.

29. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

This thread began in 2010 by AGRO. Even then most of the bank roll prospecting was worn out, aka "Late to the Game".
    I have given up on the CWRs and only scour my change nowadays for pre '82 pennies and pre '65 silvers. Last silver I gor was a washington about 5 years ago. Just missed on a Rosey but the clerk caught it from the customer ahead of me, and the clerk did not want to sell. :-(

Searching clads is just not up my ally. Seems like a whole lot of work with a small pay-off.

Hystckndle likes this.
  30. hammerhead

Nice bump. Last good score I got was earlier this year. In a 20 dollar half roll. All but one were 40%. Still find an occasional 90 but haven't been shopping around.

31. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

I've said it before, but I'll repeat myself, check out the reject slot at the "coinstar" machine. The coinstar machine rejects silver coins and I've found a few that way.

32. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Coinstar and those who use them are getting wise around here. I haven't found anything in those for about a year maybe two.

33. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Yes they have, I used to pick loads of change that people just left there, now it's rare to find anything, but I have a recent silver dime for walking by one...

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  34. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hey MeCo,
    Do you still read the site ?
    Lemme know if ya see this post,
    Regards,

35. AGRO

AGRO Seeker Seeker

Graphic Arts
    I was thinking about this thread and had no idea I started the new one.

I thought the old one was brought over and the main contributor was a chap MeCo. I don't remember if he was the OP but I was not the OG OP ha!

In any case does anyone even try this anymore?

I sometimes remember to ask the banks but - s#it - I think it was like 2007 when I first tried this? and had some great - great - GREAT snags,
    but I cannot imagine there is any silver left at least in NYC area and Long Island banks.

Perhaps if you go to the boonies like Montana (sorry) there's a one bank town with a bunch a glass jars from the Grand folk.

So anyone have any luck ever anymore?

36. FthePolice

FthePolice Seeker

I still have luck. Usually get around 10oz of silver a month going through boxes of halves. I do it more for free gambling than anything else as there is a high degree of random reward going on, but it's fun because I am not really losing any money. If you factor in time and gas money then I am right around a push.

hammerhead likes this.
  37. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

A school teacher friend of my wife had an idea to start a magic club for his students. So he went to the bank and got 1 roll of half dollars. Turned out to be all 1963 Franklins. I told Him He should go back and buy all of their half dollar rolls. Hard to believe, but I guess they are still out there.

TAEZZAR, GOLDBRIX and hammerhead like this.
  38. hammerhead

Cut it out.

Yeah, I had a teller inform me a old lady brought in 20 rolls of Franklins. Even after repeatedly telling her to take them to a coin shop the old lady was having none of that and got $200.00 from the teller for her $2500.00 worth of halves. So I am both pissed at the teller and jealous at the same time.

GOLDBRIX and smooth like this.
  39. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Man, poor Gal...

hammerhead likes this.
  40. hammerhead

I went to the branch that the tellers took in the coins. There was $340.00 dollars worth of halves and I grabbed them all. First roll, 1 Franklin. All others, duds times 33.