1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Provident Metals Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Mar 31, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. ** Two Star

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. *** Three Star

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. **** Four Star

32 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. ***** Five Star

122 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Purchased 102ozt from them today. I went to pay via bank wire and come to find the bank with Wells Fargo. Instead of the bank wire costing $30 it was $15 since I bank with them too. But then my personal banker suggested doing a cash deposit so I avoid the fee of $15 and provident avoids a fee of receiving the wire for $10. So we called provident first to make sure we could arrange this and before I could spit the words out of my mouth she do a CASH DEPOSIT! I just followed up with a phone call to make sure they got the funds, they did. My order goes to processing tomorrow and should ship next week. No six day hold for a personal check and no fee for bank wire. This is great because even when I do a smaller order I can still pay this method and get my metals that much faster. Never order this big from them before, now I'm kicking myself for not doing so.

WhyKnow, RoadKing and Allyoop like this.
  2. ocsdor

ocsdor New Member

male housewife
    Ordered 20 SAE on February 17th, via credit card online. Received March 4th. :thumbs_down:

3. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Received my 100 ASE's, 1 2013 Phill, 1 2013 Freedom Girl today. Ordered via bank wire (cash deposit) on Feb 21st. It shipped on Friday. For some reason it took 6 days to process order. Is this typically of them?

Freedom Girl round looks like it had been dropped. Provident may have received it that way from SBSS, I really can't say as I have never ordered rounds from them directly. All things considered I still stand by the ***** rating I gave them though the packing they used was a little iffy by my standards. The aren't the only online dealer to use "iffy" packing materials but being I got exactly what I ordered there is no complaint.

Side note it's a bummer they had their "bullion blitz" a week after my order but I guess when I go to order from them in the future I will wait patiently for the right deal.

4. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    I ordered a number of OPM silver rounds from Provident, my first with them and paid by personal check. Below is the chronology so far:

Feb 19- Place order
    Feb 20- Mail check
    Feb 25- money clears my account
    Mar 1- order status changes to confirmed
    Mar 4- order still shows confirmed so I called and was told the following
    Mar 7-8 (approximate)- order will ship
    Mar 11-12 (approximate) order arrive

This will be close to, or slightly over, 3 weeks from order to arrival. I've placed orders with other dealers and paid by check on occasion and understand that there is a check hold time but I also know that the total order time runs about half of what I'm experiencing with Provident.

Don't know if this is typical or not but it is significantly longer than I'm used to.

Not the same payment situation I understand but an Apmex order last week was entered and paid by wire on Monday and I got delivery on Friday. A check vs wire changes delivery from 4 days to over 3 weeks?

5. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

"...and paid by personal check". This could very well be the cause for "slow walking" your processing. I have used a company that tells you in their ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT rules Paying with a personal check will cause a 10 Business Days (Mon.- Fri. x's 2) HOLD to to assure clearance.

You sending one company a wire transfer and this company a personal check is comparing Apples to Oranges as to service.
    JMO,

Gb

6. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I just went through this with Provident about "slow orders" today.

First I wasted my time calling and speaking to a customer service rep [first time I ever contacted them].

I sent a long email with my "orders" history.

I may post the whole deal later, but here are some highlights you may want to consider before ordering right now.

Policy on the website states:

“All orders paid via credit card, Postal Money Order or bank wire are put into the processing queue immediately.”

Provident representative stated in his email reply:

All of your other orders are still with in our stated shipping time of 3-5 business days for credit card or 8-10 days after receipt of your check on check orders.

Here is it direct from the site:
    Orders are shipped only after receipt of good funds. Orders paid by bank wire, credit card or postal money orders usually ship within 3-5 business days. Orders paid by personal check, cashier’s check or bank money order are held until funds fully clear (at least 6 business days and as many as 10 business days) before processing.

So, translation, if you order by credit card, processing queue immediately means it will USUALLY be shipped 3-5 business days later. Or not. That is why the USUALLY disclaimer. You are entering a legally binding contract with them when you order, with very strict policies, you will pay a penalty for example if you don't postmark the check within one day. [I have never had a problem with this, and was unaware of it, but I read it on the site today. Market adjustment.]. I don't "blame" them for this, I should be reading the policy like the lawyer they had write it. Everything is on you, nothing on them.

I have never had a bad feeling about Provident before, and have ordered enough from them and also recommend them over and over. However, the phone rep, and then the email, both stressed they cannot handle the business, impossible to train people in time, forcast demand, they are working 12 to 14 hour days, etc.

I will not order from them again until they clear this shipping mess up. I personally won't risk my money with them any longer. If they can't seem to even get the product out the door after the money is in their hands, they are, in my opinion, to be treated with caution, and will be by me.

Perhaps they can't scale up to this level. I personally am going to let them catch their breath for a few months at least.

Maybe they will get a handle on it. Or not.

7. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Yes, I agree with you Apples to Oranges, however, read my other post. From the Provident site:

"Orders paid by bank wire, credit card or postal money orders usually ship within 3-5 business days".

That usually is the key word, things may be "unusual" and you have to wait a couple of weeks, who knows?

I want to make clear I have never been dissatisfied with an order, and they have been "slow" in the past. But IMHO there is no reason on earth you can't ship a few coins right away when paid by CC or wire transfer. AMPEX sent an order I made at Christmas time on a Saturday THE SAME DAY I entered it on the website. Not BULLION either, but collector type coins. I hate AMPEX shipping charges, but if I spent as much there as Provident they would be shipping to me free.

8. TomD

Yes I understand that and state so specifically in my post if you would bother to read it. I also state that I have more than a little experience in buying by personal check from other dealers. Fact is that lag time with Provident has been fully double that of other dealers when paying by check but I have done a lot of deals with the other guys and maybe they factor that into their hold time. Maybe if I had a 8 year track record with Provident, they wouldn't sit on my check for a couple of weeks.

Lets keep it simple, fact, not opinion; this is a dealer review page after all. It is a fact that I placed an order with Provident and immediately paid by personal check. The funds cleared my bank 5 days later. If, as they say, the order ships later this week, it will be just at or slightly more than three weeks from order inception to reception. This is approximately double the time that I've come to expect from Apmex and Gainesville even given payment by check.

No opinion in any of that, just fact.

Again, it is possible that the other guys take my extensive history with them into account and ship to me faster that would they to a new customer.

gringott likes this.
  9. ocsdor

ocsdor New Member

male housewife
    If Provident is running behind because of high demand / new training, then they should state so on their website.

gringott likes this.
  10. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Why would you feel your payment history with other businesses should count for anything with a different company???

And YES, I did read your diatribe, and I still fail to find fault with the business in question.

OBTW: I'm in queue for an order I put in this week w/ a usps m.o., and I have never dealt with them before either.

tick, tock,tic,tok,....

11. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I thought Gainesville doesn't accept checks.

12. TomD

You must have attention deficit disorder or cognitive dissonance or something. Reread the original comment and concentrate this time, see if you might can deduce something different. Good grief! Or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Update on my Provident Order: It arrived in good order today, several days ahead of what they predicted by phone a week ago.

13. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  14. ny86yanks

ny86yanks Seeker Seeker

placed an order for some golden state mint silver bars on 2/28

they are in stock

just checked today and it says "processing"

i paid with my credit card

about 10 days later and still processing

weird

not a good way to win over a first time customer

i must say this...modern coin mart is awesome with delivery

15. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I had a post here stating how long I am waiting for my order just like TomD did above. But it mysteriously disappeared. I guess the Provident god's didn't like it and took it away. Well, they don't have to worry, I won't be ordering from them anymore. It is now 4 weeks since I placed my order. It's 3 weeks since they confirmed payment, and they still haven't shipped my order. All they keep saying is that they are waiting for the delivery of 1 of my items. Yet, their website continues to state the item is "in stock".

Liars. 1 star coming soon.

16. TiKi

TiKi Silver Member Silver Miner

A lot of my posts on this section disappeared as well. Care to share what was the backordered piece?

17. MrLucky

Gambling man
    Provident must be reading this thread. My order went this morning from "payment confirmed" to "processing" this afternoon.

They were Freedom Girls. Since the SBSS site kept saying they were out, and Provident said they had them, I ordered from Provident. It was only when I pressed them as to why they weren't shipping, did the say they didn't really have them. Meanwhile all this time the site says "in stock". Like I said.....Liars. Still getting 1 star for not being truthful about their stock status.

18. TiKi

I added a couple of freedom girls to my recent order. They are currently "holding". I sent a check. Hopefully they don't delay my whole order for some ****ty freedom girls.

19. MrLucky

Gambling man
    Tiki, I hope you get yours.

Provident has removed everything from the Mulligan mint (Freedom Girls - all types), from their website.

20. TiKi

Yes I noticed that earlier , was ganna post something about it. I don't care much for SBSS crap coins I just want the other stuff I ordered.

21. MrLucky

Gambling man
    Well, my order arrived. One month and 3 days later. Some of the time was them waiting for the check to clear, but most of it was because they didn't have the stock they said they did (on the website). I know I was pissed and said I would only give them 1 star, but I was feeling good about getting my order that I decided that 2 stars was more fair.

I've heard some talk that the quality of the Freedom Girl tokens (not coins really) was poor. Well, these are really nice. Maybe I got a better batch then others. I just wanted them for bullion and now they are overpriced bullion, but I still am glad I got them.

So Provident, your great packaging got you 1 more star than I originally stated I would give you.

22. voodoo1951

voodoo1951 Silver Member Silver Miner

I am in a holding pattern with Provident too. I have been buying the past few weeks on the dips and I think I actually got in just under the wire last nite (Monday) They are notorious for draggin' their feet but I have a gut feeling these last couple of orders are gonna' take an effin' year and a day before they show up. I will be sure to let you guys know how long this convoluted mess will take. Hopefully before 2014 rolls around or the world blows up. At this juncture, I don't think even "Karnak the Magnificent" has a clue...

Attached Files:

23. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Seeker Seeker

Accountant
    Placed an order with Provident on March 20th and I'm experiencing the same slow delivery that others have. I understand when you pay by check things are going to be slower, but as of this morning it had been 15 business days since the money cleared my account and my order was still in "processing" status. I sent them an email just asking what was going on and received a notification this afternoon that my order was shipped. Judging from the tracking number they're having it shipped overnight so at least they're making up for lost time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  24. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Paid via cash deposit so funds would be available immediately on April 15 and still not in the processing queue yet. Another order paid by check from March 31 finally made it to processing queue today. Hopefully it will ship next week. I was starting to worry about Force Majuere but since the first order will deliver soon I am more optimistic about the second:cool:

25. EMP

EMP Seeker Seeker

My check was held for 9 days and now is in "payment confirmed" status and isn't being shipped, even though the items were in stock at the time I ordered them (just 1 day before the price crashed). I was looking forward to getting my order by the end of this past week, but from what I'm reading here, it looks like that's nothing but a pipe dream. An expensive pipe dream.

I thought the whole idea of being charged $35 for cancelling an order was to cover their losses because they HELD the items you order until your payment clears the banks. If that's true, then how is it that they had the items in stock when I ordered, and now they are out of stock once my payment clears, and now I have to WAIT for my items to be shipped behind those who ordered their items more recently???

Sounds like they should be paying ME that $35, since I held up my end of the bargain, and they didn't.

26. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I would hazard a guess all the online retailers are selling product not in stock but on order or promised and are representing them as in stock items.

gringott likes this.
  27. voodoo1951

Well, here is the update on my latest dealings with Provident. After having 2 orders in with them that hit my bank on 4/8 & 4/12, I sent them a rather sharply worded email about them constantly dragging their feet on their end and low and behold, within 24 hrs. I got a notice that both orders have shipped. In no uncertain terms I flat out told them that in this digital age, there is no reason for such a delay and they are not the only game in town. Seems if you light a fire under their azz, they pick up the pace (still slow as molasses) but at least it got the ball rolling. They are still slower than my aunt Tillie (and she is pushing 100) but they really have some of the best prices on the net. I guess you just have to prepare yourself for a 3 week minimum wait before you receive your Metal. I have another order that I placed on 4/15, right before they pulled 99% of their inventory. Good timing on that one because within hours of placing that order, poof it was all gone. Wonder how long this one is gonna' take till it hits my door... I will now think twice before I place an order with them because they are starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth... Let the holding pattern games continue!

28. voodoo1951

Just out of curiosity, let us know how long it took (will take) for the product to hit your door from the time you pulled the trigger... I'm guessing it will still be a few weeks. Hope I'm wrong but I ain't holding my breath...Good luck though, and I hope it arrives in a timely manner!

29. horus

horus New Member

I have ordered from Provident several times in the past w/o issue. My most recent orders however have not been so great. I have 2 orders that I placed on 03-30-13 and 04-02-13 respectively. These orders both have the delayed rounds mentioned. After the 15 business days stated my email about both orders was replied to ONLY referencing the more recent and lower amount order, not even mentioning the order from March even though I had voiced concerns about both orders. The email I received stated that the rounds they had been waiting on had arrived and I would be getting a shipping conformation on that order, which I did yesterday. But no mention of the larger order that was inquired about.

I have emailed them back today stating that if I don't get a shipping conformation on the other order by Friday 04-26-13 that I will be disputing the charge and filing a BBB report. What else can I do since they won't even acknowledge the other order I must assume I'm not getting it. If a business is having trouble getting product LET ME KNOW, don't just ignore the order altogether. Their customers service stinks.

30. voodoo1951

I've seen better for sure. If they were any slower, they would be goin' backwards...

31. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    This particular order was placed Feb 21 and received March 4, method of payment cash deposit in lieu of wire transfer. On March 15 place a smaller order that was received on April 6, method of payment personal check. On March 31 placed another order and shipped today April 23, method of payment personal check. I have another order out there place on April 14 as of now it's status is "payment confirmed", method of payment cash deposit in lieu of wire transfer.

The order on April 14 consisted of seventy-one 2011 Silver Maples and I went with these instead of 2013's because I figured these would not be on allocation from the mint as the website said they were in stock and no mention of "delayed shipment" when I ordered them. This particular order's status has been "payment received" for about a week now and I must say my patience is starting to get a bit thin.

I will take note of your experience too. I will try to contact them tomorrow and if I am not satisfied with the ETA I will give the situation some more thought in order to determine my next plan of action.

Also worth noting I received an email from Texas Precious Metals, Provident's competitor in Texas and I will post it on the TPM rating thread.

voodoo1951 likes this.
  32. voodoo1951

Thanks for the heads up and good luck with those orders. Plata oro, if you pare that name down to it's acronym, ya' come up with "PO" which stands for "Pissed Off" and I'm sure you are at this point... I think a sharply worded email (but in a polite and professional manner) would be a good idea. I just usually hunker down when I order from them and expect a 3 week time frame for delivery. that seems to be the norm for this foot dragging operation and if you expect anything less, you will be disappointed. They are not the only game in town... and I'd let em' know that in no uncertain terms!

33. TiKi

My order from 4/03 is still stuck on confirmed payment.

34. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    My order from March 31 is out for delivery today and the order from April 14 is now processing. Hopefully I get a tracking # today. :(

I was thinking of selling 2.5 ounces of gold to get some more silver. Anybody even sell to Provident? I've heard good things but most likely I have some random gram bars and will take them to the local LCS for silver rounds. Realistically I probably wouldn't sell my gold eagles or maples unless the ratio was near 70:1 and even then it would be pulling teeth getting them out of my hands!

35. EMP

EMP Seeker Seeker

So is my Dad's, and his order was made 2 days earlier, and the items were "in stock" at the time.

But exactly a week ago, I placed an order of my own and they won't even confirm receipt of my check! It says, "awaiting payment" on my account. I would think they should have gotten it in 3 days, let alone 8! I've emailed them twice about this and they are ignoring me. How's that for customer service? Now I have to hope my check wasn't stolen in transit and may have to put a stop order on it if Provident continues ignoring me.

EDIT: Just called Provident and found that my check was indeed cashed, by them, but for some reason, they didn't update my account. A big weight has been lifted off my shoulders! But still, the stress this has caused is not something I want to go through again soon.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  36. TiKi

I've seen on a few sites that they are shipping orders out that were almost 2 weeks after mine. That's BS. I ordered before the crash.

EDIT: I called as well and they tell me that they might ship out next week. I ordered well before the crash. And people that ordered during that crash are getting their PMs before me.............FAIL

37. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I ordered on 4/12. Status say Confirmed Payment. I'll give them another week to ship, before I pick up the phone. Don't mind waiting too much, just want to know the PM's are not going to take months.

38. horus

horus New Member

Update 4-26-2013

After an additional email I have finally received my shipping confirmation today on the 1st order placed 3-30-2013 and charged to my CC on 4-1-2013. I have 1 more recent order for 100oz bar I am waiting on now. This policy of charge and ship a month later is completely unacceptable to me. I will no longer be spending my money with this company. I'll pay more to get my product in a timely manner and not be stressed about it.

39. MrLucky

Gambling man
    Ok Provident, I'm giving you another chance. Let's see how you are this time.

40. TomD

Eight days ago I pulled the trigger on several 5 oz ATB's which for which I paid by check. A search showed that Apmex and Provident were within $.30 total per puck, not per oz. The decision to buy from Apmex was a no brainer. I received shipping notification today, 8 days after putting the check in the mail.

But if there is $1.50/oz difference in price as I noticed on some items last month and I'm in no particular hurry, it can be worth waiting a couple extra weeks.

Given that, there is a cautionary. I originally found GIM in 2005 as I was doing a google search prior to doing a major (to me anyway) silver buy from North West Territorial Mint. The reviews on GIM of hugely excessive waits (several months) for silver from NWTM saved me from a fair amount of grief. NWTM Mint didn't have a shipping problem, they had a cash flow problem and they were using money from new orders to purchase silver to satisfy older orders. Apparently NWTM did survive and eventually satisfy their orders but 25 years earlier I was a victim of a similar scheme (Kennessaw Mint) which relieved me (robbed) of what was a huge sum to me at the time. I've since been more than a little sensitive to extended, for whatever reason, delivery times.

nowon, voodoo1951 and gringott like this.