1. Stocks take a break, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tuesday Morning! We have Gold up 5.4 to 1251 while Silver is up 7 to 16.64. Crude is also up 44 to 43.82. The USD is down 52 to 96.59
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Provident Metals Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Mar 31, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. ** Two Star

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. *** Three Star

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. **** Four Star

32 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. ***** Five Star

122 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

People trust Brother 'Dial, no chit. :fisheye:

andial and SongSungAU like this.
  2. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

My Package of 2014 GAEs arrived safe and sound in a timely manner. Although they shipped UPS. Next time I will request USPS for ease of picking up the package. I got nervous about PM deliveries after that ordeal I had with the US mint. Although they did straighten it out after 7 weeks.

With Provident Metals I will have no worries with future orders.

3. EMP

EMP Seeker Seeker

I just tried that and I got charged 11.95 shipping anyway. I guess that offer is no longer in effect.

4. gold4278

gold4278 Silver Member Silver Miner

There is a list of products that when you add at least one of the items, you get free shipping for your entire order. The reasonably priced items in that list tend to sell out fairly quickly, but the list does update periodically. It is possible that the generic don't tread on me round was part of that deal, but is no longer part of it. Here is the link for the items that get your free shipping: http://www.providentmetals.com/bullion/free-shipping.html?dir=asc&order=price

5. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Sent in payment on a Friday through US mail. Received on the following Thursday. 6 day turnaround.

Always use a postal money order. It IS cash to them and better than cash to you.

I see complaints on here about ship times. Use a pmo and you'll quit griping.

6. gold4278

Has anyone ever had any experience selling to Provident? If so, please post if it went smoothly or not.

7. Rollie Free

Not much comment on here, is anyone buying?

Bought some silver last week, dumb move or genius remains to be seen. Once again, used a postal money order and the shipment was in hand in seven days. Providential is pretty quick under it's newer owners.
    A 5oz Sand Dunes, meh, and 2015 kooks. Those look pretty nice.

8. gold4278

I have bought from them many times and they are on par with APMEX, JMB, MCM, in my opinion.

9. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Just completed a couple cc transactions with them all went great. I also placed a check order, so we'll see how that goes.

10. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

I've purchased from them three times. All personal checks. Incredibly slow to ship. Even after the check clears the bank, they still drag their feet forever before shipping. My current order, the check cleared on the 19th and they just now today on the 30th provided a tracking number. 11 days holding time post check clearing? Ridiculous. As long as it ends up on your door step, secure and accurate I guess that's what matters. It does suck having an order take 3 weeks that you paid $19.50/oz for. Now by the time it gets here the same order can be had for sub $18. Hell, a couple of more days at this rate of downfall and by the time I actually take delivery it will be even more depressing. Haha.

11. goldielox1

goldielox1 Seeker Seeker

Another successful order. Paid via personal check and it did take about two weeks to ship, which was about what I expected, so no surprises there. Order was packed well and as expected.

12. The_Head

The_Head Seeker Seeker

Oilfield Laborer
    I bought $100 face of 90%, sent in USPS MO, got the loot about a week later... all dimes.

Again, take the time to get a USPS money order, saves you a ton of time in getting your metal from these guys.

13. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Much better results from Apmex in my experience, but I'm a dealer so I sell to national dealers, don't generally buy.

14. goldielox1

goldielox1 Seeker Seeker

Getting a USPS money order may make sense to you if the order is $100, but try doing it for $1000 or $10000 or more. Some of us don't really mind waiting a few extra days (5) for a check to clear. It's not a big deal, if it were I'd wire the money over.

15. Rollie Free

Why is a postal money order a 'big deal' at $1,000? I've done it numerous times. It's the best form of payment. Have you tried it? Do you understand the advantages?

For $10,000 you might want to wire. I don't know I've never had 10,000.

16. goldielox1

goldielox1 Seeker Seeker

I'm assuming you are paying in cash for your PMO. First I don't like to carry large amounts of cash around. Second whenever dealing in large amounts, one encounters the suspicious looks of the cashier and often creates quite a stir. Third, anything over $10K would require a govt form to be filled out when withdrawing from bank and possibly at PO (not sure here). Fourth I don't like waiting in line for 30+ minutes at the PO.

No, I guess I don't understand the advantages of a PMO vs a bank check or a wire, what are they?

17. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Domestic & International Money Orders

A safe and cost-effective way to pay—from any Post Office™.

Money Order Features

Postal Money Orders are…

Always valid—they never expire.
    Available in values up to $1,000 each if sending within the United States and $700 each if sending abroad.
    Cashable in 29 countries. Which countries?
    Can also be cashed or negotiated at your bank and other financial institutions.
    May be replaceable if damaged, lost, or stolen. Just hold on to your purchase receipt.

What do money orders cost?

$0.01 to $500.00 .......................$1.25
    $500.01 to $1,000.00 ................$1.65
    Postal Military Money Orders…..$0.35 (issued by military facilities)
    International Money Orders…… $4.50

What do you need to buy one?

Cash, debit card, or traveler's check for payment.

Last year I had a large PMO lost in the mail. I submitted a claim and the cash was refunded. My understanding is that Provident ships right away if you pay with a PMO. They don't with a bank counter check in my experience. Never wired money so don't know about that.

18. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

My concern with usps postal money order over a certain dollar amount would be that it may trigger the postal inspectors to take notice and look for reasons to investigate possible money laundering, etc.. Quasi federal officials could then contact their buddies in federal law enforcement.

Coin shows are much better cash buying opportunities. I have seen dealers go down to under melt on precious metals toward the end of slow coin shows. Just check online Coin World free for shows coming up.

19. goldielox1

goldielox1 Seeker Seeker

From Provident's website: "Orders paid by bank wire, credit card, PayPal, crypto currency, cashiers check, or postal money orders usually ship within 1-5 business days. "

20. Usury

I've placed a few orders with them recently and while the credit card orders were shipped right away, the check orders have been painfully slow. Slower than JMB or Apmex or Silvertowne.

21. gold4278

I placed another order with them. They had great communication. This time I paid with check, so it took a little longer, so I recommend you pay with e-check to receive quicker. I received a shipping e-mail yesterday morning and by the time I got home, the package arrived...

22. gold4278

Provident has done away with their previous Free Shipping policy where you would only get free shipping if you ordered certain items or if you spent over $5,000 and has now gone to Free Shipping on orders of $99 or more.

gringott likes this.
  23. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Not only that but they make Canadians part of their audience.

24. Usury

Must be the new trend....Apmex did the same thing. I wonder if it's to compete with ebay sales since most of those are free-shipping?

25. gold4278

Ebay usually has high premiums unless you factor in the special deals. However, I think JM Bullion started the trend, then APMEX followed with the $100 or more free shipping deal. MCM has had free shipping on any order for a while, but they jack up the premiums some to account for it.

26. QuantumQrack

QuantumQrack New Member

Woohoo!

27. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

Provident just moved to the top of my line up with free shipping on all orders over $99.

28. gold4278

Has anyone confirmed that they haven't raised their premiums to cover for this change? Earlier, their premiums for silver at least (ASE, CML, etc.) were lower than JMB and APMEX.

29. Mr Paradise

Just using the new Nebraska ATB as comparison.

Provident $101
    Apmex 106.75

As of this post.

Hard to pass up a puck to your front door for $100 ...even with that awful design.

30. Gstack

Gstack New Member Seeker

I've been watching their premiums since they moved to free shipping, and there has definately been an increase in their premiums on silver. I used to be able to buy silver 10oz. bars and 1oz. rounds for around 80 cents over spot in the past. Now, it's around $1.80. This means that a 100oz. order of silver will now cost an extra $100 over what it used to at the same spot price. That more than makes up for the previous maximum of $24.95 shipping cost. To be fair, the premium on gold bullion coins seems to be about the same as before.

31. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

1 oz provident prospector rounds for $1.01 over spot buying 100+
    http://www.providentmetals.com/provident-metals-prospector-1-oz-silver-round.html

10 oz bars for $.67 over spot any quantity:
    http://www.providentmetals.com/provident-metals-10-oz-silver-bar.html

pre-64' likes this.
  32. Gstack

Gstack New Member Seeker

These are just limited time specials that they're running at this time. The prices I mentioned are what they are selling at on a regular basis. The provident 10oz. bars used to be about a dollar lower than they normally sell for. The OPM and NTR bars usually sold for close to the Provident bar price. Currently, they are selling at 18.04 per oz. with a spot price of 16.97, which is down from what they were, but 1.07 over spot. (Maybe they read my post!) :wink_smile:

33. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

They almost always have a special on something, not long ago the 1 oz prospectors were .77 over spot any quantity.

They have over 10 different 1 oz rounds that are less than $1.10 over spot when buying 100+

34. Mr Paradise

I think Gstack works for someone.

Save your powder - Provident has a special- Buy Ag

Rinse & Repeat

35. Gstack

Gstack New Member Seeker

Actually, I'm not employed by anybody right now. But for the record, all of my purchases have been from Provident. The reason being that they accept check payments without needing a credit card in addition. I also like that their prices are the best in comparison to others I've looked at.

With that being said, I'm surprised nobody else mentioned anything about the sudden increase in the premium of silver bars and 1oz. rounds when the shipping cost was changed. Yes, it has gone down since then, so that's a good thing. Let's hope it stays down. I would expect it to since metal prices are staying pretty much unchanged lately, except for right after that last Fed reserve meeting.

36. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    I made a couple of silver buys last week from Provident. Both via check. They have not processed either of them. I called this morning to follow up and left them a message. They have not returned my call yet. I hope they are not going to be the next Tulving......

37. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Seeker Seeker

Accountant
    A week out is a little early to be dropping a Tulving reference. If you factor in the time it took the check to get to them, then the fact that they won't process an order until at least 5 business days after the check has cleared, you know going in you're looking at a couple week window.

I've ordered from Provident many time and always pay by check. When I put the check in the mail I'm fairly certain of 2 things: 1. I'm going to get my metals and 2. It's not going to be fast. :burnout:

Usury, Scorpio, gringott and 2 others like this.
  38. Mr Paradise

What he said.

I've never had a problem with them and I know going in that when the check goes in the mail my metal shows up in 3 weeks.

SilverBuyer likes this.
  39. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Called them again yesterday. It was my mistake. I will pay by e-check next time.

Can't wait to get my 2 oz Privateer!

40. 1981

1981 New Member

Just got a beautiful 10oz Silver RCM bar from Provident. Quick shipping, probably my 5th or 6th transaction with them. Also got a "silber" philharmonic cause they are so darn cute. Never had a problem. Using them more now that the Texas sales tax on pm was eliminated.