1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Metals finish week on a up note.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Question about service life of glock 22/23?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Rusty Shackelford, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Simple question. How many rounds till it is wore out and not a good service weapon?

Why I ask?? Local PD is putting in for new Gen 4s. Their current service firearm is Gen3s with 7 years of service life. They have a $3000 budget for ammo for 13 officers (pistol, shotgun and rifle combined) Doing some basic math (assuming all budget is pistol ammo) I am estimating that each officer has the potential to fire about 1000 rounds per year. Thus I estimate the weapons have at most 7000 rounds cycled through them (I see them shoot and train, they don't come close to 1000 rd, training ground is located at treatment plant I run). Chief says guns are wore out. I call BS, especially when officers all bought up their wore out guns for personal use.

Glock fan boys weigh in. I got to believe 7000 is not even close to end of life for these guns.

Scorpio likes this.
  2. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Cops I know of fire their pistols very little...maybe once a year to stay qualified. Plenty of Cop trade-ins are in like new condition, even early Gen2 model 17s. Larger PDs spend money on new equipment whether they need to or not.If they don't, they are allotted less money the next fiscal year.

Glock 40s should have a service life of 40,000 (per factory specs) and 80,000 to 100,000 rounds for competition shooters (like MarkCO a moderator on Glocktalk) who keep them well maintained (cleaned, oiled, small parts, springs replaced).

Mas Ayoob tried a destructive test on a Glock 22 service pistol years ago. He says it was fired continuously with full power duty ammo trying to break it and halted the test after 80,000. The pistol was still operational.

IMO, most people can't afford to wear one out.

Good luck

SC

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Mujahideen and smooth like this.
  3. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    That's what I suspicioned. Thanks.

And like you, I only see them shoot and qualify maybe 3 times a year shooting maybe 2 boxes each outing tops.

4. 3glocks1stack

3glocks1stack Seeker

7000rds the thing could possibly blink. Possibly. Have a spring worn out some where or something. Far from "worn out" but you see what I'm getting at. Certainly cheaper to replace whatever parts than buy a new one, springs, barrels, magazines, etc. And anyone could do the work. That being said I don't see a problem with buying an officer a new gun after 7 years. Pretty important tool. And hey, at least we get something for our tax dollars. Cheap glocks on the market:oriental: In .40cal :thumbs down:

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

good for you at taking a honest look at serviceability of equipment,

we need more persons asking the same questions

6. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    You missed the part that the officers already picked them up for $200. These things didn't hit the used market, sorry.