1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

D

1. Stihl

38 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Husqvarna

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Homelite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jonsered

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Poulan

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Other?

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Removing stuck bearing races with.... Peanut butter????
    Matthew Olson

Published on Apr 30, 2017
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from these guys http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Here is my previous vid, where I used plumbers putty....

https://youtu.be/fJ_jHnhv7tM

The key here is just to use *something* as a temporary ball cage while you are doing the pulling of the bearing. Once the balls are spaced around the races they hold the inner and outer races together, and you can pull on either and it'll hold.

Here is the "how its made" video... it showed me how the balls get into the bearings and gave me the idea for reassembling the bearing in order to pull it. skip to the 3:15 mark

https://youtu.be/b6svVy1lYOA

i'll bet bubble gum, sour cream, heavy grease and lots of other substances work just fine :) but ya need something extra in there otherwise the balls will get away from you.

2. searcher

VICTA 18" CHAINSAW 82V Model 1696787
    Oz Tool Talk

Published on Apr 30, 2017
    The VICTA 82v chainsaw is a remarkable unit, it is scary to think how good this battery race may get. To be able to cut 8" Stringybark hardwood logs with ease and slice through 18"+ hardwood logs in rivers is remarkable. With absolute convenience of carrying nothing but a bottle of bar lube this saw could just change the way you view chainsaws.

3. searcher

Another older video; Climbing, topping and falling some spars
    Tarzan Thomas

Published on May 4, 2017
    Recorded this footage in 2014. Not sure why I forgot, but here she is, by god. This client wanted to salvage a little money for the wood so I procured a deal with a buyer for pulp who was just down the road, and managed to get a log truck load.

4. searcher

Perspective 372's & 576's & 562's.......Loggers saws
    afleetcommand

Published on May 9, 2017

5. searcher

Huztl Farmertech 372xp clone kit chainsaw part 1 bolt for bolt!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Mar 2, 2017
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from these guys http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

6. searcher

Huztl Farmertech 372xp clone kit chainsaw part 2 bolt for bolt! seals and timing
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 1, 2017
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:
    http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

Here is part 2 of the huztl 372 clone build. Just getting some seals in, and getting some timing numbers.

I decided to stick with the 50mm cylinder head because thats what the kit came with. Stay tuned for part 3!

7. searcher

Huztl Farmertech 372xp clone kit chainsaw part 3 bolt for bolt! my approach to porting
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 9, 2017
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:

Here is part 3 of the huztl 372 clone build. This is my approach to porting. It is by no means extensive, exhaustive, or THE way to do things. Its my approach. How I do it. I am always learning. So be gentle in the comments!

I decided to stick with the 50mm cylinder head because thats what the kit came with. Once I decided on a base gasket delete to set squish, I can get timing numbers, and start porting...which is what this vid is about.

Spoiler, as of May 7 2017 the saw runs very poorly. Sometime is wrong somewhere and I do intend to investigate and remedy the issue.

Stay tuned for part 4

8. searcher

First Day At Mathias (Cottonwood Removal)
    Human

Published on May 9, 2017

9. searcher

10. searcher

Husqvarna 560 XP powered woodworking saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on May 9, 2017
    Husqvarna 560 XP powered woodworking saw
    Garden and Forest Original YouTube Video

11. searcher

The state-of-the-art Husqvarna power jet canister
    Garden and Forest

Published on May 9, 2017
    The state-of-the-art Husqvarna power jet canister.
    Combined power canister Husqvarna.

12. searcher

Stihl MS362 Update #2, and a Quick Tease Of My "New" saw
    Human

Published on May 12, 2017
    Update you on the status of my MS362, and what's being done about it.

Quick video of a saw that's on it's way to me now.

13. searcher

STIHL TIMBERSPORTS SERIES discipline STIHL Stock Saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on May 14, 2017
    STIHL TIMBERSPORTS SERIES discipline STIHL Stock Saw
    STIHL Stock Saw This discipline measures the skills of the competitors in cutting classic chainsaw. Competitors used to cut the two discs of lying trunk diameter of 40 cm mass-produced chain saw STIHL MS 660 prepared by the organizer. The first disc is cut downward, the second upward. Both discs must be cut and marked the entire arc of about 10 cm wide, otherwise it is disqualified. Timing stops when fully cut it through the second disc.

14. searcher

STIHL® TIMBERSPORTS® SERIES discipline STIHL Stock Saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on May 14, 2017
    STIHL® TIMBERSPORTS® SERIES discipline STIHL Stock Saw
    STIHL Stock Saw This discipline measures the skills of the competitors in cutting classic chainsaw. Competitors used to cut the two discs of lying trunk diameter of 40 cm mass-produced chain saw STIHL MS 660 prepared by the organizer. The first disc is cut downward, the second upward. Both discs must be cut and marked the entire arc of about 10 cm wide, otherwise it is disqualified. Timing stops when fully cut it through the second disc.

15. searcher

Huztl Farmertech 372xp clone kit chainsaw part 4 bolt for bolt! cylinder install
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 17, 2017

Here is part 3 of the huztl 372 clone build. This is my approach to porting. It is by no means extensive, exhaustive, or THE way to do things. Its my approach. How I do it. I am always learning. So be gentle in the comments!

So here I'm doing some install and getting the cylinder put on.

Spoiler, as of May 7 2017 the saw runs very poorly. Sometime is wrong somewhere and I do intend to investigate and remedy the issue.

May 15th I put a different coil on, it runs better, but its still not up to par... I think I need to examine compression next

16. searcher

Huskyboy (Mason) visits Mattyo...and we assemble a 372!
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 18, 2017

Mason showed up with a whole saw, and needed it torn down. Se we did it, got some new bearings and seals in.... he's gonna put a cylinder on himself.... so here I'm just showing how we did the bearings and case.

17. searcher

Splendid day for a close quarters fir removal, Seeley Lake, MT
    Tarzan Thomas

Published on May 21, 2017
    Always nice to be working out of town, in the peace and quiet, especially when my sweet, little Wife is with me. My knee was really bothering me, and I have decided that if it isn't better in a week or two, I may have to go see the sawbones. Nothing fancy pants with this removal.

18. searcher

Dolmar ps7910 vs Husqvarna 375xp (372xpw) vs Stihl ms461 - Bench Talk
    hotsaws101

Published on May 26, 2017
    Here we have some interesting middle weights for a little comparison/contrast.
    The video is self explanatory. I did refer to the piston letter size "A, B, C" as numbers. That was because it is there diameter differential (size in number form) the "A, B, C" actually represents and what the concept was attempting to show and/or reference.
    Apologizes for the stammering/slurring of speech, a lot to get out sans the use of que cards....
    I am currently available for port work. If you are interested please shoot me an email.
    danger_cat@rocketmail.com
    Thanks for watching.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  19. searcher

Back to basics, husqvarna 350 ....again
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 26, 2017

Up today is a husky 350 that i've torn down.

Back to basics folks. Saws are only worth so much money. This one is worth 250-300 in nice rebuilt shape. So if I paid 200 for it, there's no room for anything.... I didn't. Got it for $60. So at that price point I can put some hours into the saw and bring it back to life... and more reliable life than before. Get em cheap guys.

Top 3 things to do, #1 ...replace the intake clamp with the metal oem one. this is cheap, and will save you the likelyhood of a catastrophic air leak
    #2.... reseal the bearing cap...this means tearing the saw down to its most basic parts, but again, will save you the air leak. use threebond 1184 for this union... not loctite 515/518 ....they don't stick to plastic
    #3.... muffler support ...so the muffler doesn't burn a hole in the oil reservoir......

lots of optional stuff, but here I opted for a flat top piston for increased compression and some machining on the bearing cap to tighten up squish. there is more on this in other vids. i'm going to use this cylinder head as demo for some poor mans porting techniques in subsequent vids....

thanks all for now folks!

20. searcher

More poor mans porting, husqvarna 350 oem 45mm cylinder
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 27, 2017

Got a little further with the poor mans porting stuff. well, not further...sideways. It worked, toasted 2 right angle heads, and I bought burrs that were $32 each. ... so... gotta figure something else out. I think the marathon lab setup is perfect for this, but the right angle heads are super weak. ... lots more research to do to figure out how to do this on the cheap.

21. searcher

Stihl 200t crankcase assembly for Seth, huztl cases
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 29, 2017

this is a set of huztl cases and hyway seals that I am using to put this together. the cases seem fine so far and the saw ran nice when I got the whole thing back together.

22. searcher

Supporting Older Saws...Talked About 200 Series Husqvarna's & Jonsereds
    afleetcommand

Published on May 29, 2017
    A day on the farm. Ran some of the ones that usually aren't the first choice...but cut wood just the same. Discussed the collector part of the hobby a bit, and the rapidly shrinking OEM parts availability....After market parts are becoming more relevant an even sometimes the only path to complete a saw...

23. searcher

Husqvarna 375xp vs 372xp X-torq - Bench Talk
    hotsaws101

Published on Jun 4, 2017
    This is a narrative video which is self explanatory. One miss que regarding the vinyl "XPW" sticker on the 375xp (a 372xpw) air cleaner cover. I really meant to say "XP" instead.
    I forgot to mention the displacement of the two stars; 70.7 for the X-Torq 372XP and 74.7 for the 375XP or a standard issue 372XPW.
    I am currently available for port work and custom saw modifications. Shoot me an email if you are interested.
    Thanks for watching.

24. searcher

Farmertec / Huztl 036 / 360 Kit Saw Review, Old Farts & The Saw Hobby, Nutnfancy
    afleetcommand

Published on Jun 10, 2017
    Bunch going on, changing how I process firewood. Going back to the basics to try and loose weight & get healthy again. A never ending struggle we all have to deal with over time. Have been running the Farmertec 360 kit saw for a while now so did a review.

Found this long lost hat in the woods when processing a tree...brought back memories of the "Pre Injury" time and being younger,

25. searcher

Quick update on crank tools, they are here!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jun 11, 2017
    I've started shipping some crank tools. Got the rods from Fred thursday night. Please contact me if you one of the original 19.

on my channel homepage there is an "about" tab and my email address is on it.

if you aren't one of the original 19 and want a set of tools, let me know and i'll get you on the next go around

26. searcher

Crank tools - how to use on a husqvarna 372
    Matthew Olson

My gen 1 crank tools being used to put a 372 chassis together.

Threebond 1184 is what I use for sealant. Click the link above for HL supply, where I get my gasket kits.

btw, this crankcase is available for sale as project starter:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community...

27. searcher

Stihl / huztl 660 chainsaw crankcase assembly with the new tools!
    Matthew Olson

Assembling a new huztl 660 clone crankcase with the new tools! the assembly is so much easier this way!

check my youtube channel homepage ....click on the "about" tab and it should bring up my email address if you are interested in a set...

gen 2 coming soon!

28. searcher

First Contract Climb
    Human

Not even really sure if it's considered a contract climb, as I was just paid cash, no clue how that stuff actually works. Was trying to get out of there quickly though, no matter how much repellent I sprayed, we were getting eaten alive by mosquitos.

29. searcher

Dolmar ps7900 Chip Management
    hotsaws101

Here we have one from the archives that was once lost but is now found!
    This viewing is regarding the chip management (or lack there of) on the Dolmar/Makita platform starting at the 6400/6401 to the 7900/7910/7901.
    As mentioned I can not even run the Stihl Klassic or the now discontinued X - chain from Oregon. Even when the bark is super tight (winter months) there are issues with the chips clearing as shown in this video.
    I found that even the more narrow cutting kerf, chisel chain from Oregon to be problematic when sporting both a new chain and bar.
    I am currently available for port work an custom saw modifications. If you are interested please shoot me an email.
    dangercat_rocketmail.com
    Thanks for watching.

30. searcher

Largest Side Job I've Yet to do
    Human

Besides equipment, Samuel Luria commented on my last video and made me realize, I seriously need to get some insurance if I'm going to be doing this. Shit can happen to anyone, at anytime.

31. searcher

Chainsaw Tips for Rebels
    Essential Craftsman

Published on Jun 16, 2017
    I predict a lot of heat in the comments below. For the record I have no problem with people having their own opinions on chainsaw safety and starting techniques. Do what you gotta do!

Please watch our other video for the basics of operating a chainsaw. https://youtu.be/kzuijFHquQk
    These are dangerous and fun tools to run.

If you value this content, consider supporting on PATREON.

PATREON https://www.patreon.com/essentialcraf...
    INSTAGRAM https://www.instagram.com/essentialcr...

MY FRAMING HAMMER
    http://amzn.to/2qk3KSE

MY FAVORITE SAW
    http://amzn.to/2q1hL4z

www.ESSENTIALCRAFTSMAN.com

32. searcher

Chainsaw Trouble - I took Stihl & Husqvarna Chainsaws from a Tree company for 30 days
    Stanley "Dirt Monkey" Genadek

Published on Jun 16, 2017
    For 30 days I took away Merdian Trees Stihl & Husqvarna chainsaw and replaced them with Echo. What happened next didn't turn out so good. Cutting down a massive tree with a crane cutting and felling trees

33. searcher

Stihl ms461 Insane-O-ized SS
    hotsaws101

Published on Jun 13, 2017
    Here we're on location with the first test drive of a NY state bound 461 sporting the reshaped combustion chamber and enhanced flow tricks that I know about ( SS ), in addition to the standard insane-o zipkit. The saw barks and speaks for itself.
    My chain isn't the greatest but the saw is "bad"! And yah, pinched bucking it - still just a man here.......
    I'm currently available for port work. Shoot me an email if you are interested.
    Thanks for watching.

34. searcher

Insane-O-ized Dolmar ps7910 Sporting a K&N
    hotsaws101

Published on Jun 12, 2017
    Here we have a ps7910 Dolmar, fitted with the standard insane-O zipkit & fresh out of the shop. We obviously running her a little rich since this is the maiden voyage. I had a little more than 12% of a plan and fitted this saw for the testing with a Hi-Rev Saw Works design velocity stack and K&N air filter.
    I 'm pretty pleased at how it runs in a blubbering rich state of tune.
    As mentioned, it is the same chain as the 375xp video from around Christmas with a fuzz more relaxed grind (no material was added to the stops) and the chain cuts well. A little more refining and the chain would be a killer.
    If you are interested the Dolmar velocity stack and K&N style air filter system, port work, or custom saw modifications, please shoot me an email.

35. searcher

Serious Chainsaw Work | Never Attempt This Unless...
    Swedish Homestead

Published on Jun 19, 2017
    You must be trained professionally for this. Being an arborist is a dangerous job. Tim shows his skills as a tree climber with many years experience.

36. searcher

Cad Cam Cae intersects the saw world. A "Rant". Can't Say I didn't warn you!
    afleetcommand

Sort of my "gut" reaction condensed into this video when I started tearing into the new Husqvarna's a few years back. This is just my "out side looking in" reaction. I fully admit this is random and could be COMPLETELY off base. Depending on the reaction..It could be taken down as well. This video won't be for everyone....for many it will just be...Blaa...Blah...Bla-Bla Blaaaah......:)

JUST an opinion. Nothing more.

37. searcher

Wood-Lot Special
    hotsaws101

Here we have a brand new, fresh out of the shop, 365 Special that was made to be a complete sleeper and 460/461 killer. It's sporting all factory big bore xpw components, fully insane-o-ized complete with a reshaped (bumped compression) combustion chamber and enhanced flow tricks.
    Maiden voyage and smoking this 32" bar & chain combo.
    This saw is currently for sale.
    If you are interested in this saw, port work on another, or custom saw modifications, please shoot me an email.
    Thanks for watching.

38. searcher

Huztl Update...First Look At The 380 or 038 Aftermarket Parts Saws
    afleetcommand

Some revisions to the 066 case assembly tools. A review on the "kit saw" concept. Reality check time.

39. searcher

Stihl ms461 vs ms661 Bench Talk
    hotsaws101

Published on Jun 25, 2017
    A special thanks to Mr. King Cord for allowing me the use of his 461 for a wee bit of a stretch while "life" happened.
    No answers on a couple of front except I can now pronounce the Italian manufacturer's name correctly.
    Thinking the rest is self explanatory.
    I am currently available for port work and custom saw modifications. Please shoot me an email if you are interested.
    Thanks for watching.

40. searcher

Huztl Farmertech 372xp clone kit chainsaw part 5 bolt for bolt! almost done
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jun 25, 2017

Here is part 5 of the huztl 372 clone build. Just building up the saw, putting some of the components on here.

Stay tuned for the finale!

May 15th I put a different coil on, it runs better, but its still not up to par... I think I need to examine compression next

June - cases i decked on the bridgeport, cylinder head is sanded, squish is optimized...comp at 165 and the saw runs better...its currently with my dad for eval.