1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

D

1. Stihl

40 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. Husqvarna

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Homelite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jonsered

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Poulan

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Other?

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Testing Some Saws. Huztl 036 & 038 Kits Saws, Husqvarna 372xp, 562xp, & 385XP
    afleetcommand

Published on Jun 27, 2017
    Got a bunch done, need to put them in the wood to see where they are...the DEVELOPMENT will happen in the future. NEED to see where they are on the "pecking order" of the saw world....:)

2. searcher

Huztl Farmertech 372xp clone kit chainsaw part 6 bolt for bolt! getting the pop
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jun 25, 2017
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:
    http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

Here is part 6 of the huztl 372 clone build.

Finishing the build, and getting the pop!

Spoiler, as of May 7 2017 the saw runs very poorly. Sometime is wrong somewhere and I do intend to investigate and remedy the issue.

May 15th I put a different coil on, it runs better, but its still not up to par... I think I need to examine compression next

June - cases i decked on the bridgeport, cylinder head is sanded, squish is optimized...comp at 165 and the saw runs better...its currently with my dad for eval.

I *THINK* the reason for the low compression initially was not only squish that was too large, at .036" or so, but had I replaced the rings and/or piston with a better quality one I think I would have gained compression significantly without having the deck the chassis and sand the squishband. I do expect to have done even better with sanding the squishband, and optimizing squish, but time will tell if its just breakin-or poor quality rings.

3. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms360 bolt for bolt part 1 - the case assembly!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 1, 2017
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

Here is the complete kit:

http://www.hlsproparts.com/product-p/...

Here is the gasket kit:

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Stihl-034-...

Up today is a full chinese copy clone kit saw... a copy of a stihl 360.

Top tip: position the pto bearing first, then put the crank in.

if anyone wants to know about the tools used in this vid to put the crankcase together feel free to contact me.

so this is the full crankcase assembly for the ms360 ...bolt for bolt

I used threebond 1184 on the surfaces.

4. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms360 bolt for bolt part 2 - the port work and piston!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 8, 2017

Here is the gasket kit:

Here is my approach to doing some poor mans porting on this saw. This is not extensive port work, because the timing numbers were pretty good to start with. 99, 118? and about 80 intake.

Squish could be improved a bit more by sanding the squish band lip and then machining the base to aim for a .020" squish, as is it will be about .027" without a gasket in part 3 when I put the cylinder head down :)

a nice upgrade here would likely be a meteor piston... and possibly an oem wrist pin bearing.

5. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms360 bolt for bolt part 3 - cylinder head flywheel and electronics
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 14, 2017

Here is the gasket kit:

Here is a bit of assembly. Cylinder head, gas tank, flywheel and coil.

6. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms360 bolt for bolt part 4 - chainbrake etc
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 17, 2017

Here is the gasket kit:

Here is a bit of assembly, including the chainbrake

Proper part # for the oem oil line 1124-007-1010 ... good idea to get this part oem from your dealer.

the muffler part needed is an 034 muffler spacer. this part is no longer made, so you'll need to triple up, or more....on muffler gaskets to get this to fit.... maybe.

7. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms360 bolt for bolt part 5 - finishing it up and getting it started!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 20, 2017

Here is the gasket kit:

This is the finish up.

Proper part # for the oem oil line 1124-007-1010 ... good idea to get this part oem from your dealer.

This is the exhaust spacer that this particular kit needed. I don't know if there are multiple muffler designs or what....perhaps you can get a different muffler and not need the spacer....I don't know: 1122 145 1200

The saw runs. And it is shipped. I hope Jon likes it and he gets service out of it.

I'd definitely consider getting an oem decompression valve, preferably a husqvarna one, and an NGK plug.

also, a meteor piston with caber rings might be nice, and an oem wrist pin bearing just for good measure.

I wasn't able to test the oiler, but Walt has mentioned they can fail, so you can pick up a hyway oiler at the HL Supply link above.

8. searcher

NEW! Makita XCU03Z LXT 18V X2 Rear Handle Chain Saw Review
    WorkshopAddict

Published on Jul 22, 2017
    Price the Makita XCU03Z LXT 18V X2 Rear Handle Chain Saw on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2ussWb2
    18V X2 LXT 36 Volt Tools - Makita's new XCU03Z LXT 18V X2 Rear Handle Chain Saw is expanding their 18 volt line, but providing more power to the end use by using two 18 volt batteries to create a 36 volt chainsaw. This use of two batteries keeps all the Makita users safe from a new battery platform. The versatility of the 18 volt system will continue to grow while Makita supports these systems with dual battery chargers that are able to charge two 5.0Ah batteries at the same time in under 45 minutes. Makita has been well known for their motor production and the new Makita outer rotor brushless motor along with a direct drive system provides enough torque to give the user the full feel of a gasoline powered saw.
    The Makita XCU03Z comes with a 14” bar and can be fitted with up to a 16" bar. The variable speed trigger allows for 0-3,940 feet per minute of chain speed for a fast cut, just like a gas powered saw. The tool free chain tensioner is one of the better ones on the market and very simple to use. To our surprise, there is an adjustment for the automatic oiler so you can provide the right amount of oil to the bar and chain. Metal bucking spikes give the user the opportunity for using the tree for leverage while cutting. If this saw would not be so light weight, one would forget they are holding a battery operated chain saw.
    XCU03Z Features
    • Makita-built Outer Rotor BL Brushless Motor direct-drive system
    • Variable speed trigger (0-3,940 FPM)
    • Built-in lock-off lever
    • Built-in L.E.D. on/off switch with auto power-off function
    • Two 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion batteries deliver power and performance
    • Front hand guard engineered to actuate chain brake when engaged
    • 14" guide bar
    • Low noise level and zero emissions
    • "Tool-less" chain adjustment
    • Weighs only 11.5 lbs. with batteries
    Landscapers and Contractors
    Makita is incredibly popular with many professional users. The company’s use of the 18 volt battery line to expand and create more tools only helps to build that fan base. When it comes to outdoor power equipment, Makita is not stranger and this is not their first chain saw. The fact that Makita uses purpose built motors for these tools adds to the overall quality and customer satisfaction of the product. We had no clue what to expect of two 18 volt batteries and we were very surprised. This would be the saw we would choose over any other 20 volt or 60 volt saw!
    Since Makita makes gas powered chain saws, we were happy that the adjustable oiler and metal bucking spikes were brought over to the battery operated chain saw line. There is no question that Makita builds a good chainsaw and the new models are awesome. We are sure other brands will follow Makita's lead in using two 18 volt batteries to make more power on larger tools.

9. searcher

Nifty Dead Oak (Removal)
    Human

Published on Jul 23, 2017
    First side job that I rented a lift for. Damn glad I didn't try climbing it, trunk was good, nothing else was though.

10. searcher

372xpw Husqvarna Insane-O-ized
    hotsaws101

Published on Jul 22, 2017
    Out on location with a brand spankin new Husqvarna 372xpw, fresh out of the shop, sporting a standard insane-o zipkit.
    Seems to doing pretty good against this pine butt.
    I am currently available for port work and custom saw modifications. Please shoot me an email if you are interested.
    danger_cat@rocketmail.com
    Thanks for watching.

11. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms440 bolt for bolt build! the crankcase
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 31, 2017

Up today is a huztl/stihl clone ms440. I'm not that familiar with Stihl saws, so bear with me on this build. At first glance it has many features similar to a husqvarna 372xp, most notably the bushing/seal on the pto side.

The biggest issue I ran into in this kit was the centering of the crank, and the potential issues it creates. More likely, *LIKELY* is the position of the PTO bearing... I think ... that if its too far towards the oiler, then the metal bushing that rides on it sits too far out on the crank, and then the clutch doesn't seat, then the drum/washer/eclip doesn't seat properly either.

************SO.... summary. As soon as the PTO side of the crank is seated in the bearing, check the bushing, clutch drum washer etc combo and make sure you can get that eclip on. *****

This issue will be more obvious in the final vid.

Also, how I put the crank in the PTO side of the case with my case tool is exactly the same as in my ms660 video series. I have NO idea where that footage went. SO SO SO sorry for that guys. Check out my 660 crankcase vid if you want to see how the PTO side goes in.

12. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms440 bolt for bolt build! part 2 - port work
    Matthew Olson

Published on Aug 1, 2017

Up today is a huztl/stihl clone ms440. I'm not that familiar with Stihl saws, so bear with me on this build. At first glance it has many features similar to a husqvarna 372xp, most notably the bushing/seal on the pto side.

Here's some minor port work. Squish was HUGE stock. This means one of a couple things, get a different P&C OR do port work/machining of the existing.

I'm just using a chinese marathon dental lab handpiece setup. You can check out my other vids on this. I'm also using a cordless bosch dremel with an old black and decker straight handpiece on an extension.

Of note, the cylinder didn't squish down quite to .018" like I thought, those collapsable gaskets don't quite snug down as far as you might think.

13. searcher

Unworthy 11: Before The Fall
    Human

Published on Aug 9, 2017
    The last couple trees I did before getting injured

14. searcher

The Fall
    Human

Published on Jul 30, 2017
    Tie in point broke on me, sending me 25-30' down. Broken pelvis (open book) and pars defects on the L5 vertebrae. Laid up for a couple months, pretty damn miserable......

15. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms440 bolt for bolt build! part 4 - chainbrake, clutch, gas tank, uh oh
    Matthew Olson

Published on Aug 8, 2017

Gas tank install, don't forget the extra av mount at the 5:30 or so mark... gotta get that on there before you put the tank on.

Might be a tad easier to do the chainbrake mainspring before you put the gas tank on... just an idea.

UH OH...

the crank, on the PTO side...is too short. now, I can tell you that after I messed with the saw to get it to fit, it fit and does run. BUT... grinding on the crank is a bad idea. grinding on the clutch and drum is a bad idea. THEREFORE, something else is off. either the kit is no good, or the crank "centering" isn't a good idea. YOU MUST check the fit of the clutch/drum etc assembly DURING the case assembly process, BEFORE you put the flywheel side case half on. ....this way you can adjust where the crank is... ie, make sure its far enough "out" towards the PTO side.

It is likely that I will get another one of these chassis to play around with and see where I went wrong.

on the upside, the saw does run :)

16. searcher

Update on crank tools Aug 10th 2017, for the gen 1 folks!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Aug 10, 2017

17. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms440 bolt for bolt build! finale - final assembly and pop!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Aug 15, 2017

************Please look for my adendum (not up yet as of 8/2017)***************

I have a better solution to the problem of the e-clip not going on the crank properly.... its coming in another video

sorry for the out of order assembly. please I got confused and its trixy to edit the vid so its totally seamless.

the saw pops and dad has played with it a bit.... it certainly runs fine and starts nice. we'll see after a few tanks of fuel how the compression fairs. ...i'm hoping for better than 150 psi thats for sure.

18. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms440 bolt for bolt build! addendum 1 - it didn't blow up!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Aug 19, 2017

PLEASE LOOK AT ADDENDUM #2 BEFORE you build the saw!

here: https://youtu.be/uG8r2nppt3Q

Some part # and links...

The throttle rod that was missing from the kit:
    The odd bushing that goes in the chainbrake handle:
    The metal piece that goes inside that bushing:
    9416 868 6530
    stihl 440 IPL ...full parts list:
    http://www.motoculture-jean.fr/upload...

plug is bpmr7a ngk
    decomp that I used was off a husqvarna 372xtorq, but a blue tip oem husqvarna decomp valve would be best

Ok, so, this video partially comes at the end of a really cruddy day, and the fact that the chainsaw stopped so suddenly really didn't help. Thank the Lord that it was just the decomp! ...and that I didn't tear the whole thing down before I found THAT out.

as of 8/19/2017 The saw does run, and puts up a roughly equivalent cut times with my china huztl 372xp. I really mickey moused the crank.... so I'm thinking about tearing the whole thing down again and putting a new crank in there. I dunno. This saw is begging to be fiddled with. I have other top ends to try as well... :)

19. searcher

Huztl Stihl ms440 - addendum 2 - crank/bearing redemption!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Aug 19, 2017

Some part # and links...

The throttle rod that was missing from the kit:
    The odd bushing that goes in the chainbrake handle:
    The metal piece that goes inside that bushing:
    9416 868 6530
    stihl 440 IPL ...full parts list:
    http://www.motoculture-jean.fr/upload...

plug is bpmr7a ngk
    decomp that I used was off a husqvarna 372xtorq, but a blue tip oem husqvarna decomp valve would be best

Thanks to Jeremy for letting me put this together to figure out the stupid crank/e clip issue. On my saw, I just couldn't figure out where the error was coming from and "the saw is from china...nuff said" isn't a good enough explaination for me. Why is it so difficult to put the e clip on the crank...why is there so little room?

SUBS!!!!! I need help! Can someone measure an OEM 044/440 PTO side bearing inner race for thickness....is it 9mm?

Can someone measure their huztl kit bearing, and see if IT is 9mm...or is it thicker? I think huztl installed a bearing that isn't oem equivalent. Thats my best guess at this point. Both the aftermarket 440 pto bearings I have measured have a 9mm inner race. However, it APPEARS (not absolute...I didn't measure) that the huztl kit pto bearing is thicker...likely close to 11mm thick...which pushes the bushing out, the clutch out, and therefore the needle bearing/washer out...and prevents the e clip from seating.

Can someone measure an OEM bushing for length???

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ...comments!!!!

as of 8/19/2017 The saw does run, and puts up a roughly equivalent cut times with my china huztl 372xp. I really mickey moused the crank.... so I'm thinking about tearing the whole thing down again and putting a new crank in there. I dunno. This saw is begging to be fiddled with. I have other top ends to try as well... :)

20. searcher

Stihl ms660 - Insane-O-ized!!!
    hotsaws101

Published on Aug 15, 2017
    Here we have an insane-o-ized ms660 on it's maiden voyage and second tree - kind of a fatty red on the stump. This tree was damaged and breaks in half as it goes through the leave trees while headed to the road so the yarding crew can grab it easily.
    We are still running rich on the needles with dark screen as it is still not broken in yet. Seems like it handles this 3' bar and chain nicely.
    I am currently available for port work. If you are interested please shoot me an email.
    Thanks for watching.

21. searcher

edsl48 likes this.
  22. searcher

23. searcher

$10 Yardsale Find Mcculloch 3200 Chainsaw
    Johnson's Gee-rage

Published on Sep 3, 2017
    Drove by a yard sale and this little piggy caught my eye! Couldn't believe how cheap it was!!!!

So, carb was possibly good, but lacking adjustment. What would you do next?

24. searcher

Husqvarna 562xp Not Running - Diagnosis. "Dead Saw Salvage" Series
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 4, 2017
    Typical Working saw stopped running. I was asked to make it run again. Was a little unusual issue but you will have to watch the video to find out what killed this saw and if it was salvageable...:)

25. searcher

26. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Mine was just delivered this evening that I purchased with E Bay bucks. I have had some excellent results with the Dewalt 7 1/4 inch circular saw and sawzalll so far. I do not think this would replace a serious gas chainsaw but for use around my rental properties it might fit the bill quite nicely...and no gas to run out of, sticky carburetors from non use and stale fuel problems

searcher likes this.
  27. searcher

GRUDGE MATCH!!!!
    hotsaws101

Published on Sep 8, 2017
    The long awaited middle heavyweight bout featuring an insane-o-ized SS 661 vs an insane-o-ized 395xp.
    As stated verbally, the 395 definitely pulls harder than the 661. That is hard to grasp by just watching. I would not say the 661 is a slouch by any means. This 661 gets with it. It is just giving up 2.5 ccs of displacement. Which, in a piston port chainsaw engine in a fair amount. It requires more time and effort to get a smaller cube saw to run with the bigger one - if at all possible. I have stated for years that 3ccs given up in a piston port chainsaw engine is a lot to over come.
    I am thankful for my son's help with the cinematography.
    I am currently available for port work. If you are interested, please shot me an email.
    Thanks for watching.

28. searcher

Husqvarna 395xp vs Stihl ms661 c - Bench Talk
    hotsaws101

Published on Sep 10, 2017
    From earlier this year we have the same two saws featured in the "Grudge Match" video that was just posted.
    I cannot say that the 661 m-tronic in insane-o form is a slouch. In fact, it flat gets with it once insane-o-ized. It is giving up ~ 2.5ccs of displacement as well. That is a lot in a piston port chainsaw engine.
    Technically speaking, the crank that was in the 394xp was the same as that in a 288. The 395 version crank downsized the flywheel side taper and nut holding the flywheel captive.
    I am currently available for port work. Please shoot ma an email if you are interested.
    Thanks for watching.

29. searcher

$100 Chinese chainsaw test and review by a professional logger
    Nelson Bomber

Published on Sep 6, 2017
    Top brand chainsaws are so expensive these days so I decided to try this $100 Certa 52cc saw with a 20 inch bar from Kogan.com to see how it would handle cutting up some old man pine firewood.
    It definitely has a few issues but gets the job done.

30. searcher

Husqvarna 357xp Debugging A Saw. "Dead Saw Salvage" series.
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 9, 2017
    SO the local dealer is the "hero" in this story because they both orchestrated a solution AND got the parts......:)

Basically the title could have been "What Happens When You DON"T Do A Vac/Pressure Test" . How about how to frustrate a saw mechanic?

A little review......on how the saw got to me.
    1) Customer brought the saw to a local repair shop...
    2) That shop obviously struggled a bit and told the customer it needed a carb and they couldn't get one.
    3) Customer came to me and asked if I would take it on....
    4) I said no...but would if the local dealer sent it to me as we have a "symbiotic" relationship....they humor me with sticky saw issues as they know I enjoy that stuff for the most part....
    5) Customer had the saw transfered to the local Husqvarna dealer
    6) Husqvarna dealer called me to see if I had time & interest. They didn't do anything to that point other than paperwork to 'log" it in...
    7) I fixed it ... sent it back the the dealer....who sent it back to the customer.
    Its still running everyone is happy.

The local dealer was perfectly capable of solving this, but they know as a hobbyist I like this stuff (for the most part) and let me work on these project saws from time to time...:)

31. searcher

What Is Happing To Jonsered?
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 14, 2017
    A Husqvarna dealers perspective on the future plans for Jonsered the brand and saws. Me? Its a trend. Dolmar is now Makita. Did that hurt them? I don't think so. But this is slightly different. Makita is a well known brand of high quality hand tools.

32. searcher

Husqvarna 261 Debug. Using Simple Tools to Diagnose and Repair.
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 16, 2017
    MUCH easier this time with this saw. Figured some simple fast debug technics are worth a video....and a prelude to the "Ultimate Old Man Saw" or UOMS for short.

33. searcher

Spike60 "The Saws We WANT To Run..." (Getting Ready For This Saw Season) & Stock 562xp vs. HTSS 562
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 11, 2017
    Basically snap shots of the day...I did terrible camera work this day...
    Probably should break out the Stock 562xp vs. HTSS version. Its buried in there.

34. searcher

Stihl MS200T Overview & Comparison with MS201T-C
    Human

Finally got around to doing this video......again.....

35. searcher

Recovery Update & Treestuff Unboxing
    Human

Published on Sep 15, 2017
    Keeping you up to speed on my health, and showing what will be coming up in future gear videos. Big thanks to all who contributed to the gofundme, hopefully I've been able to give a good representation of the products I've done so far and will continue to into the future.

36. searcher

seths husqvarna 372 rebuild fiasco part 1
    Matthew Olson

Published on Sep 13, 2017

Ok, this is indeed modified. It died. Pressure and vac failed.... mostly on vac. Dunked it. Found a rip in the intake boot that had to be the problem. Cleaned up the cylinder, new boot. New popup piston. Seals are fine.

Saw died again in 2 hours....after 8 hours worth of work.

Tore it back apart, didn't have a good piston to use, just threw a new P&C on there ...aftermarket. The only thing I suspect now is one of two things. 1... SUPER short fuel line.... filter was hanging mid-air. 2, warped intake boot holder/ partition. Saw will go back out for use...we'll see what happens.

37. searcher

Seths 372 fiasco part 2 ish
    Matthew Olson

Ok, this is indeed modified. It died. Pressure and vac failed.... mostly on vac. Dunked it. Found a rip in the intake boot that had to be the problem. Cleaned up the cylinder, new boot. New popup piston. Seals are fine.

Tore it back apart, didn't have a good piston to use, just threw a new P&C on there ...aftermarket. The only thing I suspect now is one of two things. 1... SUPER short fuel line.... filter was hanging mid-air. 2, warped intake boot holder/ partition. Saw will go back out for use...we'll see what happens.

38. searcher

Seths 372 - how to cut the cylinder base on the bridgeport!
    Matthew Olson

39. searcher

Generation 2 chainsaw crank tools, quick overview
    Matthew Olson

Published on Sep 27, 2017

If you are interested in these tools, please contact mattyo5
    at aol dot com (the o is letter o, not zero) and yes, this is purposefully cryptic to avoid spam.

If you'd like to follow along and see updates in the forum thread, here is the link:
    http://opeforum.com/threads/one-case-...

oh, and sorry about the cell phone vid, it was the fastest way for me to do the update

southfork likes this.
  40. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I would think one of the most important parts of the chain saw is the chain itself, seems most you buy today dont hold an edge.

Lt Dan likes this.