1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

D

1. Stihl

40 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. Husqvarna

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Homelite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jonsered

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Poulan

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Other?

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

"Bad Karma", An AM Cylinder (Not from Farmertec) kills two of my Hobby saws.....
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 12, 2017

2. searcher

VERY DANGEROUS Tree felling versus Chainsaw HUSQVARNA 560 XP
    Garden and Forest

Published on Nov 13, 2017

3. searcher

4. searcher

Husqvarna / Jonsered 60cc Autotunes. 562xp, 560, 555 & Jonsered 2260, 2258 What's The Difference?
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 18, 2017
    Run through the fundamental differences between these model saws. Discuss parts interchangeability between models.

5. searcher

"Crack'in Eggs!" Husqvarna 555 & Jonsered cs2260 Case Tear Downs
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 18, 2017
    I NEEDED a Jonsered cs2260 crank shaft to move forward on the UOMS project....had thought I bought one off eBay and it was actually a 562xp "long" crank, despite what the seller claimed. SO figured the best way was to actually get a set of 2260 cases...and did...this is me busting them down to salvage the "short" crank for those small mount cases the 555 and 2260 have......AND some other stuff.

6. searcher

A 40-year-old stallion with a sense of Husqvarna 560 XP is looking friends with the same interests!
    Garden and Forest

Published on Nov 19, 2017
    Chainsaw Husqvarna 560 XP
    A 40-year-old stallion with a sense of Husqvarna 560 XP is looking for friends with the same interests! I'll meet up on Facebook at the Chainsaws Husqvarna !!!

Garden and Forest Originál YouTube Video #gardenandforest

7. searcher

CST Party....a look at a few saws & discussion. BORING to any one BUT a saw GEEK
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 21, 2017
    An over view of what Husqvarna's CST brings to the table. NOT a training tool. BUT I would like to figure out how to start a discussion here with those who use CST, share experiences and begin to discuss the real value of CST relative to these Autotune saws. I consider myself a Novice. Only have a year of solid time working with CST. Hoping to learn not just from raw experience, but also from others who share their experience. Any suggestions on a formate and forum? I'm leaning towards forestryforum.com A little more relaxed and less BS "Pride" on display, more about learning.

8. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I don't watch the videos because of bandwidth and hassle, but I will say that I like a chainsaw to be reliable, powerful, and repairable. My Stihl MS361 has given me problems over the last decade (?) but after spending a few $$$ on repairs, it is going strong. The chain is obviously important. I have been using the "woodland pro" chain, and it is the best I have ever used. Yes, I have to sharpen it often, but it cuts fast and deep. I say that a good chain should cut so well it is almost fun. If it is work, the chain needs sharpening. Or if it seems to pull to one side.

searcher likes this.
  9. searcher

Happy Thanksgiving!! & Some "Huztl Harvest"
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 23, 2017

10. searcher

Huztl / Farmertec MS660 Idle Issue....that SOME ( not all ) have.
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 24, 2017
    One of the possible issues with these saws and the AM carburetors.

11. searcher

2-Cycle Mix Oil, Super Brief Overview & My Preference
    hotsaws101

Published on Nov 24, 2017
    I have been fielding a lot of queries regarding which mix oil I use.
    This video is an extremely brief overview that just touches on "the mix oil concept". My choice is noted and also supported by the data.
    I am currently available for port work. If you are interested, please shoot me an email.
    danger_cat@rocketmail.com
    Thanks for watching.

12. searcher

My Super Awesome ChainSaw Trick?????????????
    hotsaws101

Published on Nov 17, 2017
    Everybody seems to have a "super awesome chainsaw trick" on YouTube. Not sure if this qualifies or not - you be the judge.
    The wood in this location and at this elevation is very hard. I did noticed some rattle in my chain while putting in the face. As mentioned, this chain was last used felling Redwoods on the coast the previous week and it's the first grind in the "inland configuration", so things are a little rough.
    As stated, I'm using part of the face cut as a wedge to actually stop the tree, mid-flight, on it's way to the ground.
    The objective of this maneuver is to allow me to gut all/most of the heart wood out while tree is standing and stationary. As you can see it works pretty good in this attempt.

A word of caution to all: Not for the faint of heart or a Novice I imagine. May lose the tree over sideways.
    Tree may barberchair.
    Better know your wood type and characteristics, and know it well!
    Better have a good grasp on your skill set.
    Might want to have your saw paid off and insurance up to date.
    Not all operations on my channel are for all of those that would try. My suggestion is; if you think it's to dangerous for you to try, you are probably correct in the assessment. Hire a profession when in doubt.
    I am currently available for port work If you are interested, please shoot me an email.
    Thanks for watching.

13. searcher

Heavy work in the forest with the Husqvarna 560XP chain saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on Nov 26, 2017

14. searcher

A Mid-Week Treat!
    hotsaws101

Published on Nov 29, 2017
    So here we have the 1st taste test of a Stihl, motor saw 462c (m-tronic) running against a ms461. Both saws are in completely stock form for this initial test drive. After comparing the timed runs, it seems they are pretty much even in the amount of time it takes to get through the cuts. The 462 is in a pretty high state of tune outta da box with the carburetor being as dialed in as they get, whereas the 461 is still running in a little bit rich state.
    I weighed both with full tanks and the 462 comes in ~ 1.5 lbs lighter. Part of that difference is from the aluminum skid plate and full wrap handle on the 461, plus the liquid capacity differential between these two machines.
    The 462, with it new spring mount anti-vibe design, is smooth as silk - similar to the spring mounted Husky saws and other new gen spring mounted Stihl choices.
    We are seen here sampling the p-pine log with a 32" Stihl lightweight bar and Oregon full skip chisel chain. The chain is set up to cut super hard, high elevation timber so I thought it would a good choice to compare the "new and improved" successor to it's predecessor.
    My nod goes to the 461 for multiple reasons
    Thanks for watching.

15. searcher

Building A Husqvarna 560xp? or Ultimate Old Man Saw! ( Husqvarna 120i Cameo?)
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 27, 2017
    A day up in the hedgerow..WINDY day. Cleaning up trees I dropped last week. Surprise visit from a Husqvarna 120i Cordless Chainsaw! Battery operated and actually quite capable. A pleasant surprise! Now I have to get one.......and an Battery Powered Series ensues...

16. searcher

Husqvarna120i Battery Powered Chainsaw. Are these Saws Useful? A First Impression?
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 27, 2017
    Have to watch and see as Bob & I Clean Up Tops from HARD Maple's with a Husqvarna 120i Battery Powered Saw. This is a first impression, a full review will eventually happen as we add more samples of Battery Powered equipment to the channel...HOPING to get a pole saw.

17. searcher

For Young Master Landon - My "Another Awesome Chainsaw Trick"
    hotsaws101

Published on Nov 25, 2017
    A shout out to a two and a half years young Master Landon Green and thanks for watching my channel.
    Master Landon prefers watching falling videos to cartoons - YEAH! So we will try our best to help with less "device" & "unreality" and more of what is sometimes going on in the woods.
    Here we have a nice stick of redwood on the northern Cali coast. These trees are ~ 4 long, long logs tall. We're showing a young man one way to get the holding wood in the corner of back cut sawed up if it cannot be reached from the back of the tree for some reason. It happens fairly regularly when you are cutting redwoods - especially when they grow in clumps. Not the best example here but a better option would be hard to see and follow for a ~ 3 year old. You can cut the majority of the corner out from the front (of course being careful cut it off) and then get the remaining holding wood from where you can reach in the back.
    I am currently available for port work. Please shoot me an email if you are interested.
    Thanks for watching.

18. searcher

Husqvarna 562xp Stock vs. Modified HTSS Style vs. "Ultimate Old Man Saw" ( 560xp )
    afleetcommand

Published on Dec 2, 2017
    Trying to put some numbers to differentiate A Stock 562 from the two modified ones... focus on cookie cutting and weight. Do these say one saw concept is "better than another? I don't think so, but DOES quantify a couple of characteristics of these three saws.....so many other factors determine a definition od "win" from those folks who cut wood for fun or for a living. Weight and Cut speed on 10 inch logs are only two ....

19. searcher

What About Us? The "Nothing Special" Stock Saw, The most Common Configuration out there..:)
    afleetcommand

Published on Dec 9, 2017
    A "Zig" in the direction on the channel for a video or two...STILL going to continue the 562 builds and the "After market" builds as we have, Also the Electric Saws (Battery Powered). BUT I want to take a week or two hiatus and focus on two saws of personal interest to me. The Stihl 441 and my old Gear Drive McCulloch 660. SO just adding these two saws to the list. Selfishly. Not changing the direction of he channel...:)

20. searcher

"Huztl Harvest", Huztl 350 & 372 Cylinders & FT660's Working From Old Video's (And a 562)
    afleetcommand

Published on Dec 11, 2017
    Buried a 562 into the stack....any one find it?? Sort of a "Where's Waldo" moment..:)

21. searcher

Saw repair!!! Gets weird at the end
    Logger Wade

Published on Dec 11, 2017
    I️ got some champion opinions on chainsaws....
    “Self acclaimed! !!!

22. searcher

DANGEROUS TREES by Husqvarna 562XP chain saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on Dec 8, 2017
    DANGEROUS TREES by Husqvarna 562XP chain saw-----
    We have created an open Facebook group where you can write your comments, but also can upload your photos, videos and discuss with the others! Join us! And you can even add your friends!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/21089...
    A pro Česko-Slovensko
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/17993...

Visit our Facebook:
    Navštivte náš Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Garden-and-F...
    https://www.facebook.com/Pr%C3%A1ce-v...

23. searcher

24. searcher

Stihl ms660 vs. ms661c Psycho-ized
    hotsaws101

Published on Dec 16, 2017
    So here we are on location doing a saw off between a Psycho-ized 660 and just about an equally done 661. It's hard to be exact on the times since we're not sawing the round completely off, I do know that. This is more about the comparison on how they pull where the 661 is no longer in m-tronic configuration. We are more concerned about an equal as we can get top end readout, if the 661 is hesitating, missing excessively, etc., etc. in addition to how well this version 661 configuration with an unlimited coil and fully adjustable carburetor fair.
    It seems to me that they run pretty close. To the 660s credit, it has a much tighter tolerance that I made sure of to aid longevity and much less run time as well. It will come around noticeably in about 5 days, Whereas the 661 comes "out da box" pre-broken in.
    We will be looking at the next version non m-tronic 661 here shortly so please stay tuned.
    I am currently available for port work. If you are interested in some custom saw modifications please shoot me an email.
    Thanks for watching.

25. searcher

Spike60's Saw College Husqvarna 357xp & 359 Series Of Saws
    afleetcommand

Published on Dec 17, 2017

26. searcher

Life of A Plow Driver & Prepping a McCulloch 660 For A "Mini GTG", Oh Yeah, A Jonsered 621 too
    afleetcommand

Published on Dec 20, 2017
    Just a "Snap Shot" Of life.....had a nasty ice event last night. I ended up dealing with it after the first guy bounced in and out of the ditch a couple of times and decided to wait for a better " ice " truck. Mine. :( Spent an hour of butt pucker getting that last road drivable with another fellow following me up to finish it off after my trip breaking the "ice"; not punny! HOPING this is the LAST winter!! Just have to get through one more. Just this one.

Had a little video from a similar even three years ago. Same deal. Same roads. Last night I had to goto the far corner of the county to finish off a really nasty road. Made me remember the little video clip....hope you enjoy a PO'ed old man having to make the decision to go BACK down a very steep and long hill covered in ice after clawing up and praying the salt was working fast enough. ALL plow driver have these moments. Never fun. Certainly an adrenalin rush! But hoping last night was the last I'll ever deal with.

27. searcher

15: First Climb Back, Actual
    Human

Published on Dec 17, 2017
    Going to take some time, but it felt amazing.

28. searcher

16: Therapy for the body and the soul
    Human

Published on Dec 19, 2017
    Big thanks to Buckin for the workout tips, and Travor for the filming methop.

29. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

It's probably best that I don't own a "real" chainsaw. I would be a danger to myself and others. However, I did buy one of those electric chainsaws from Harbor Freight that's mounted on an extendable pole. I've been quite impressed with it. Follow the directions in the manual, keep it oiled well and it's great for trimming branches, taking down small trees and unwanted saplings around the property. If using more than 50' from an outlet do yourself and the saw a favor and use a 12 gauge extension cord so you don't starve the saw while cutting.

Yes, I did the bold, daring and some would say "stupid" thing and loaned the saw out to 2 friends. One is a mechanical wizard who knows how to use, repair, optimize and modify most tools and the other is familiar with a hammer and screwdriver. Both quite successfully used the chainsaw and trimmed up their properties quite nicely. Yes, it was returned clean and in full functioning order.

I've had this saw for over 2 years now and have not had one single problem with it..neither have I hurt myself or others with it. It gets the Alton Seal of Good Yard-keeping.

searcher likes this.
  30. searcher

Stihl ms461 3-Way Saw-off
    hotsaws101

Published on Dec 24, 2017
    Greetings, Merry Christmas and blessings to all!
    As we are on the cusp of the day that our Lord and Savior is recognized as being born ( same of the scholars put the actual date sometime in the spring), let us give thanks for the sacrifice He made, family, friends, and all that we have. Let us consider others and there plight as well.
    The first thing we need to mention is that this testing is being done a just under 2800 feet in elevation - not ~ 500/1000. That alone is a testimony to how well these saws run.
    So were seen here testing for the first time, 461 #1 that has a new cylinder assembly so it is the least broken in and therefore the tightest. Standard Insane-o zipkit here. You will also notice the miss at high idle when the rpm monitoring is being done with the tach. We were running a non standard coil just for kicks which seems to a little lagging. Additionally, I replaced the original piston because it was a little to sloppy for my liking.
    The 2nd 461 is sporting the Insane-o SS zipkit. It has some time on it and sounds like it is still running on the rich side at 14,400. Seems to cut good from my perspective.
    The 3rd 461 is sporting the Psycho SS zipkit. You can hear it is still quite rich at the 14,400 rpm high idle level. That's because it is in a much higher state of tune than either of the first two saws. This saw would most likely be running 15,500 to 16,000 with the bar and chain installed and ready to cut. This saw responded well to the "pull up on the pistol grip test pretty well in the second test cut.
    And as stated, I did fiddle with my grind/grinder a little from the normal configuration for inland timber at elevation. I noticed that the chips are big compared to normal and clearing them up was a little problematic - but we are close....
    Thanks for watching.

31. searcher

Bars, Cut Location, And Reliability....Different Worlds. Different Realities.
    afleetcommand

Published on Dec 25, 2017

Lt Dan likes this.
  32. searcher

From dawn to dusk with the Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on Jan 1, 2018
    From dawn to dusk with the Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw---We have created an open Facebook group where you can write your comments, but also can upload your photos, videos and discuss with the others! Join us! And you can even add your friends!
    A pro Česko-Slovensko

Visit our Facebook:
    Navštivte náš Facebook:

33. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    All my saws are in hibernation right now. I did have reason to start one up last week, MS180 Stihl, great little saw, not my oldest, but it is my go to saw when I just have some smaller stuff to cut. Took a bit of cranking to get the gas flowing, but, cold as it was, it did start and I was soon warmed up as well from cutting, pitching and moving the wood to the shed.

searcher likes this.
  34. searcher

Springboard Action.
    hotsaws101

Published on Jan 1, 2018
    Top of the New Years Day 2018 to you!
    Here are getting a small Redwood handled with the aid of my Springboard that dates back to the mid '80.
    I think it is pretty well explained in the video dialog in a concise but brief description as far as the ins and outs of the notch.
    I did mention jack seat @ 10:19 as a miss que. I was thinking about a sag-way into what is important to look out for if you are needing to jack a tree while on a springboard/s/staging but that will be at a later date.
    As we embark into 2018, I hope that all is well in your camp and that God is smiling on the coming adventures!
    Thanks for watching.

35. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

I went to a friend's property recently; he had bought a Stihl 290 that is an OK homeowner saw; plus he had two Husquavarnas, the largest he had put a 3' saw blade on.

I got this from Sam:

"horse power really makes a difference when cutting big logs. both big saws run and cut. the 281 xp got a new piston and rings and cylinder honing after ring burned due to stale fuel. not much mileage on this saw. it is a little stiff to start. u have to pull for all ur worth! but thats a good thing, means good compression and power.. found 4 sharp chains to fit both. (2 each).plus 2 dull ones that fit the 266. check cutters choice for extra chains, sprockets. half doz extra sharp chains is likely good back up. the old husky(1984) still has muscle. starts easy and delivers plenty of oil to the bar. "

The largest one barely starts, no compression release, more trouble than it is worth. The 266 isn't that bad but still junk in comparison to quality saws I have used like Stihl 44/46 and Husky 394xp. The right tools reasonably modern are essential.

Also he had bought a couple reject log splitters with Kohler engines from China that had serious problems, rusted valves on the big one and a dysfunctional carb. on the smaller Kohler, would never happen with a normal Honda, etc. engine. The larger 9.5 engine seized up within an hour.

searcher likes this.
  36. searcher

More Firewood! HTSS Update & iRobat Roomba 980 Vacuum! An AWESOME tool for a farm house
    afleetcommand

Published on Jan 1, 2018
    Just an update. Spent most of the last couple of weeks in the snow plow so haven't been in the shop as much as I would like....just living life and trying to survive the "cold" snap...

Krag likes this.
  37. searcher

Husqvarna 562xp vs 550xp (Me & mini Me) Bench Talk
    hotsaws101

Published on Jan 7, 2018
    So here have the comparison between the Husky 562 and 550 taking a look at just how close they are internally as well what we can see about the physical similarities. They are nearly clones except for the size differential!
    I have two points of reversed polarity in this video. 562 @ ~ 5:50 in the video when it should have been the 550 and ~ 18:40 I said 550 instead of 562. Other than that were pretty good.
    I am currently available for port work. If you are interested please shoot me an email.
    Thanks for watching.

38. searcher

A challenging job of cutting into a tree back with a Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on Jan 7, 2018
    A challenging job of cutting into a tree back with a Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw---We have created an open Facebook group where you can write your comments, but also can upload your photos, videos and discuss with the others! Join us! And you can even add your friends!
    A pro Česko-Slovensko

Visit our Facebook:
    Navštivte náš Facebook:

39. searcher

Professionally cut off a 130-year-old reversed tree with the Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw
    Garden and Forest

Published on Jan 7, 2018
    Chainsaw Husqvarna 560 XP---Professionally cut off a 130-year-old reversed tree with the Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw---We have created an open Facebook group where you can write your comments, but also can upload your photos, videos and discuss with the others! Join us! And you can even add your friends!
    A pro Česko-Slovensko

40. searcher

Cutting Several Overturned Trees After Hurricane Howard Chainsaw Husqvarna 560 XP
    Garden and Forest

Published on Jan 7, 2018
    Cutting Several Overturned Trees After Hurricane Howard Chainsaw Husqvarna 560 XP---We have created an open Facebook group where you can write your comments, but also can upload your photos, videos and discuss with the others! Join us! And you can even add your friends!
    A pro Česko-Slovensko