1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Metals finish week on a up note.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

D

1. Stihl

36 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Husqvarna

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Homelite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jonsered

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Poulan

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Other?

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Stihl MS 880 and Husqvarna 3120 XP review - The most powerful chainsaws in the world
    М буд

Published on Nov 26, 2015
    Stihl MS 880 and Husqvarna 3120 XP... In this video we will show you the saws, start them, listen to the inimitable powerful growl and also tell you about the pros and cons, interesting facts and myths associated with the most powerful chainsaws in the world.

Also you will get to know how we call them and why.

- The purpose of use of the super powerful chainsaws 0:39
    - Husqvarna 1320 XP 1:13
    - Stihl MS 880 2:25
    - Interesting facts about Husqvarna 3:11
    - Cooperation of Andreas Stihl with the Soviet Union 4:00
    - Comparison of Stihl MS 880 and Husqvarna 3120 XP. Advantages and disadvantages. 6:06
    - Start and listen to Husqvarna 3120 XP and then to Stihl MS 880! 8:55
    - How we call Husqvarna 3120 XP and Stihl MS 880 10:30

The narrator is Head of the “Belarbo” enterprise
    Sciapan LАTYPAU

2. searcher

Norwich Connecticut Chainsaw get together 2016 compilation video
    Matthew Olson

Published on May 8, 2016
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from these guys:
    http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

This is a video of randomness from the 2016 CT chainsaw GTG at Paragon Builder's place in Norwich, CT.

3. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

Over the past couple years of heating with wood, I've used my chainsaws a lot more. While I initially voted Stihl, I've come to like Husqvarna saws a lot more and have 9 of them (versus 2 Stihl saws). Yes, I proudly suffer from Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder (CAD)!

I prefer Husky over Stihl mainly due to the availability of parts/tools/service manuals on the open market. Stihl tends to be more twit-like when it comes to lowly scum individuals wanting to buy stuff on the open market (vs from a Stihl dealer). Husky manuals & parts are easily found (for the most part). I maintain my own saws, and want to be able to obtain the needed parts/tools/manuals without having to deal with Stihl market restrictions.

Stihl MS250, 044
    Husqvarna 562XP, 395XP, 350 (x3), 346XP OE, 262XP, 136, 51 EPA

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Someone_else and searcher like this.
  4. searcher

5. searcher

Stihl MS271 VRS Husqvarna 450
    Shayne1973

Published on Aug 6, 2015

6. searcher

How powerful is a Husqvarna chainsaw? The Rancher 450 put to the test!
    NJ Homestead

Published on Apr 9, 2015
    In this video we explain why we purchased a husqvarna. And we put it to the test on a big oak. Hope you enjoy the video!

7. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've had a Stihl Farmboss for more than 15 years and it still runs good. It has had some hard use, but most of the time it has sat. Not running for a long time and then starting right up and working is worth a lot to me. I've also got a Stihl weedeater and concrete cutoff saw, same for both of them.

searcher likes this.
  8. searcher

Stihl 200 T v Husqvarna T540 xp
    Reg Coates

Published on Apr 23, 2016
    Both used but still have good compression. Spark screen removed on 200, 540 is ported. 16 in bars. Semi chisel chains. 56 DL on the 540, 55 on the 200T. But the Stihl bar and chain is noticeably thinner. You decide !

9. searcher

Husqvarna 372 "Farmer Jones" Build vs. 562xp HTSS Build. Review Of Farmertec Parts
    afleetcommand

Published on May 7, 2016
    A very simple and basic build. Starts with a rough 372xp at the end of its service life. New crank bearings and seals. New carburetor. A bunch of "Farmertec" plastic later and its a good running and decent looking saw! Very practical option to add another 5 or even more years to an original version 365/372 class saw. With help from the aftermarket, the price point is less than buying even a homeowner saw! Something to consider

ALSO cover some of those not very interesting parts folks forget when doing these type refurb's, especially the typical hobby type that DOESN"T have a dealer on the other side of his shop with a full inventory of Husqvarna 372 parts.

Last but not least, I focus on the dividing line between OEM and the practical use of aftermarket parts.

10. searcher

11. searcher

Husqvarna 357xp vs Stihl ms 361
    Daniel Samista Bruzzi

Uploaded on Dec 10, 2011
    Husqvarna 357xp:56,5 cc,4,4 cv,Barra da 45,cm,Passo 0.325. Stihl:59 cc,4,6 cv,Barra da 50 cm,Passo 3/8. Husqvarna regna sempre,che Bestia.Tutte e due le Motoseghe con Catena Nuova.W HUSKY XS.

12. searcher

Husqvarna 394xp bolt for bolt disassembly and rebuild part 1
    Matthew Olson

Published on Sep 28, 2015
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from these guys:

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

Today we have a 394xp that came from a friend. All he said was "do it" ... this is my interpretation of what he meant.

In this series I tear the saw down, deck it on the mill, do some mild port work, and reassemble. I did not do the bearings and seals. If you want to see how those are done you can refer to my 385xp video...it appears to be quite similar. I highly recommend assembly of the cylinder carb and exhaust as one unit, it makes life a lot easier than what I went through.

Enjoy!

part 2 is here:

https://youtu.be/7gu6frtJ-i4

13. searcher

Husqvarna 394xp bolt for bolt disassembly and rebuild part 2
    Matthew Olson

Published on Sep 29, 2015

Today we have a 394xp that came from a friend. All he said was "do it" ... this is my interpretation of what he meant.

In this series I tear the saw down, deck it on the mill, do some mild port work, and reassemble. I did not do the bearings and seals. If you want to see how those are done you can refer to my 385xp video...it appears to be quite similar. I highly recommend assembly of the cylinder carb and exhaust as one unit, it makes life a lot easier than what I went through.

Enjoy!

part 3 is here:

https://youtu.be/EYuv4OpP15I

14. searcher

Husqvarna 394xp bolt for bolt assembly and rebuild part 3
    Matthew Olson

Published on Oct 2, 2015

Enjoy!

part 4 is here:

https://youtu.be/XmqsLRGBAw0

15. searcher

Husqvarna 394xp bolt for bolt assembly and rebuild part 4 finale!
    Matthew Olson

Published on Oct 4, 2015

Enjoy!

EDIT: here is an addendum with some good information about another 394xp project I did, and a pitfall
    http://www.arboristsite.com/community...
    https://youtu.be/DYNLCYkADZ4

16. searcher

Chainsaw How To - Maintenance
    Husqvarna USA

Published on Aug 13, 2013
    Learn proper chainsaw maintenance techniques and tips from a Husqvarna trainer to keep your saw running at optimal condition.

Learn more about Husqvarna chainsaws:
    http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/...

17. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Baus...

German name, Japanese design, Chinese build and CHEAP!

... I tell ya it is a damn decent little saw. For the price if it only does a couple of years its paid for itself and it looks like it will do a lot more than that. In fact it has paid for itself already... really.

Bought as a temporary measure and really I am shocked at how good it is for the price, frankly I couldn't ship it from China to Aus for what I paid.

searcher likes this.
  18. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

13620324_10209915752875987_7136400095516385531_n.jpg 13592844_10208126686583689_3334354890758777581_n.jpg Craftsman 18" electric does a great job. Very safe and quiet with more than enough power. The 18" is better than the 16". $99 on sale and comes with a spare chain.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    searcher likes this.
  19. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Presently 3 Stihls. Also have 3 other brands I don't use any more, 1 is almost impossible to find parts for, other than spark plugs, chains etc. 1 just doesn't work right, and a third that I've had for about 35 years, I just kinda keep, cause it still works, but is kinda heavy and slow. All 3 Stihls work great. 2 are MS180s and one is a Farmboss MS290. I cut a lot of brush from fence rows so the MS180 get a lot of hard use. Why 2? One hits a rock or piece of wire, I grab the other. Sharpen later.

searcher likes this.
  20. searcher

Husqvarna 262xp throttle lock spring installation
    Matthew Olson

Published on Jul 9, 2016

I was having trouble figuring out the throttle lock spring on my 262xp ... its all better now. I figured someone else might have the same or similar issue.

You need to do this with the tank off the saw, it cannot be done with the tank still attached to the saw. If you need to see how to remove the tank I have other videos on the 262xp that show a bolt for bolt rebuild. The throttle locks often get broken or remove on these saws, this vid shows how to fix that!

21. searcher

electric chainsaw review - including cordless chainsaws
    paul wheaton

Published on Nov 27, 2014
    http://permies.com

Emily Aaston, Lumberjill (as opposed to lumberjack) reviews two gas chainsaws and five electric chainsaws, including two corded saws and three cordless saws. She also touches on felling trees with a crosscut saw and an ax.

Emily has dropped trees for over ten years for the national parks service before setting up shop at Wheaton Labs. She has used Stih and Husqvarna (Husky) chainsaws.

Using electric chainsaws have their problems. The idea is not to be perfect, but to find something that could be "better".

Emily starts with a Stihl 170 - to compare to the electric saws. She points out that gas saws have been optimized a lot over the decades, while electric saws are still pretty new to the scene. It is reliable, has good balance, needs gasoline mixed with oil and sometimes starting can be tricky.

The electric chainsaws are from Remington, Makita, Greenworks and Oregon.

The Remington electric chainsaw cost about $65. It has a plastic sprocket and plastic chain tensioning housing. The oiling device tends to put too much oil on the chain, thus wasting bar and chain lube/oil. It will even drain oil when the saw is not in use. No kickback safety. The power is pretty good, but when those extension cords add up, the power is reduced. Emily feels she spends too much time troubleshooting the Remington.

The Makita electric chainsaw costs about $250. It has a metal sprocket, but plastic housing. The plastic chain tensioner needs frequent adjustment. Emily mentions that it has an awkward feel. A bit of a surprise is that Emily thinks the Makita is less powerful than the Remington.

The Makita cordless chainsaw costs about $370. One great feature is that the 18 volt battery packs work for all sorts of makita tools. And the battery packs are quick to charge. Unfortunately, the charge does not last a long time. Not much power. Weird weight distribution that ends up making your wrist tired.

The greenworks cordless electric chainsaw uses a 40 volt battery pack and costs about $220. The weight is well balanced. The battery takes about an hour to charge and you can get about 40 minutes of use per charge. It has a reasonable amount of power. It does poorly with binding or tension. Sometimes the bar and chain oiler does not oil enough.

The Oregon cordless electric chainsaw was a gift to us. It came to us brans spanking new from ebay. The Oregon saw is well made. Lots of metal components instead of plastic. The bar and chain oiler works well. Good weight balance. The 40 volt battery takes a couple of hours to charge - a bit long. Running time is about 20 minutes per charge. This chainsaw has a self sharpening chain, which is really cool in a lot of ways, but, it turns out, REALLY expensive! The chain is very different from regular chain - and the saw has a sharpening stone built in. It takes only a couple of seconds to sharpen the chain and requires no skill whatsoever. Seems to made of better components and will probably last longer than any of the other electric chainsaws.

Emily makes a comparison between all of the saws on how long it would take to drop a 12 inch tree.
    freaky big stihl chainsaw: under a minute
    stihl 170: 2 minutes
    remington: 4 or 5 minutes
    makita corded: 8 minutes
    makita cordless: more than 10 minutes
    greenworks cordless: 3 or 4 minutes
    oregon cordless: 3 or 4 minutes
    crosscut saw: 7 minutes with two people, including peeling the bark from the tree
    ax: 12 to 15 minutes

We finish the video with a quick demonstration of dropping a tree with the Oregon cordless chainsaw. You get a pretty good idea of how quiet it is.

Video editing by Raleigh Latham http://elementalecosystems.com/index.... - thanks Raleigh!

Trailing music is by Jimmy Pardo http://permies.com/t/30796/Jimmy-Pard...

You can find all sorts of chainsaw discussion at our woodland care forum
    http://www.permies.com/forums/f-25/wo...

relevant threads at permies:
    http://permies.com/t/28750/solar-chai...
    http://permies.com/t/6557/sharpening-...
    http://permies.com/t/33212/electric-c...
    http://permies.com/t/40208/Cordless-c...

22. searcher

Husqvarna 550XP Chainsaw Ported
    blsnelling

Published on Nov 3, 2014

23. searcher

Stihl Ms170 Overall thoughts and Review
    jerry bskorner

Published on Jul 18, 2016
    Thinking of getting a Chainsaw ? http://amzn.to/29FCw0S

Today I look at my Ms170 after i've used it a few times. Overall i'm very happy with this saw. Like I said in the video this is not a powerhouse saw but good for the average person who may use it a few times a year. The saw fits great in your hand, while it's still new it's easy to start however I do wish it had a primer bulb. The only thing I really don't like about the saw is that the linkage for the choke seems kind of stiff and binds.

24. searcher

Something a bit different.................

Chainsaw Fail !!! You don't cut a tree like that-Compilation
    potatojoee

Published on Dec 21, 2015

ArkWv likes this.
  25. searcher

More of the above...............

Chainsaw Fail !!! You don't cut a tree like that-Compilation 2
    potatojoee

Published on Jul 11, 2016

ArkWv likes this.
  26. searcher

"Cool Tool" Chainsaw Shop Tool To Assemble Husqvarna 372XP Cases
    afleetcommand

Published on Aug 16, 2016
    Basically a puller that grabs onto the crank shaft ends and allows you to pull it through the main bearings.....

27. searcher

6 types of Chainsaw trial.
    RoryTrackrod

Published on May 15, 2016
    Trying out my 2 new saws and comparing them with my old ones.
    Featuring, Stihl MS 180 32cc, Husqvarna 236 38cc, Chinese Asoika Scatco 52 cc, Ryobi PCN 40/40cc, Jonsereds 621 56cc and pole saw, Ryobi RBC30SESB 30cc, cutting a telegraph pole in a try out. I'm going to have a closer look at the Chinese saw next, because It's looking pretty good, especially for the price (£56). I now know that the the Jonsereds 621 is 56cc and not 61cc as stated in the vid and 3.6 hp and the Ryobi 40/40, is more like 10+ years old.

28. searcher

How To Destroy A Chainsaw
    Wranglerstar

Published on Mar 20, 2016
    How To Destroy A Stihl Chainsaw.

29. searcher

Spike60's Saw College Husqvarna 372xp Series (362 / 365 / 372XP &XPW Jonsered 2071 )
    afleetcommand

Published on Aug 2, 2015
    Bob rambles through the different iterations on that saw chassis....and there are a lot of them! AND this video and the next (Part 2) video Bob drops some detail information every shop should hear and certainly anyone who works on them would be interested in knowing.....

Some models discussed:
    Husqvarna 372XP "X-torq"
    Husqvarna 372XP
    Husqvarna 372XPW & 375
    Husqvarna 371XP
    Husqvarna 365

Jonsered 2172
    Jonsered 2171
    Jonsered 2166
    Jonsered 2165
    Jonsered 2163
    Jonsered 2071

A second video is in the works to discuss "simple" mods a typical tinkerer can do with tools you can purchase from a place like Lowes or Harbor freight

30. searcher

Spike60's Saw College Husqvarna 372 series Part2
    afleetcommand

Published on Aug 4, 2015

31. searcher

"Big Old Saws" A Sampling of 90cc class chain saws & Ramblings about "Online" video comparisons
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 26, 2015
    I did this video and hacked out a lot of commentary .. you will probably see that. Some might get the point some not. So I will give a few hints. One...in YouTube land & online forums "cyber world" comparisons you can only get part of the story (I try really hard to keep things simple, upfront, and minimize variables as much as I can when doing comparisons)....AND some will take what they see in a particular video compared with ANOTHER completely different video and assume what they see as differences translates to ALL things similar. (Any one understand the concept of "tolerance stack"? ) So what I did here is brush on that just a bit...then just throw information at you. Cylinder configurations. Timed cuts... Bar & Chain combo's Sprocket size etc.. AND on that given day of the video there was faster and slower times. SO many variables I intentionally put into play in this video to make a point. Some will see them AND be able to come to some intuitive conclusions, some will need the explanation below.

First changing log conditions effect everything (a discerning eye will see..:) )
    Second, in timed cuts, chain is EVERYTHING.... chains can make a bigger impact than minor motor changes and differences.
    Third...I hint at the evolution of cylinder design. Why?? subtle and I'll let you guess...:)
    Third...Part "A"...saw builders. They can make huge changes to how a saw runs. BUT the cylinder designs present boundaries. For example.... those Jonsered and Stihl based designs have been around for a long time, Builders have worked around their limitations equally as long...( finger ports can make them run like a more sophisticate "quad" port design...flame away! )

But I'm rambling... just want this video to both be somewhat "trivia" informational, entertaining, AND open up eyes a bit to the many variations/variables. Also (The fun part) point out some of the characteristics common to saws from the early 1980's and 1980's designs sold up until very recently...:)

Finally, if those variables are understood, you CAN see a video like this and go away with real information about how those saws compare. The information is in there. Just have to see through the prism of understanding those variables and how they effect times.

Think its time to shut up now.

Oh yeah... had fun taking that ugly monster out of moth balls. It needs a saw life as well. And the "stalwarts" of this years cutting operations, the "Cyclops" saw, Jred 920, and the Chinese MS660 run really really well. They are and were in the video as they are maintained & set up for their particular roles on the farm as the "go to work saws". The three most used saws here this year. Had enough of mini saws for a bit! :) And yes there is a bit of a sleeper in that mix of saws in the video. Can you guess which one?

OK...from a different angle. If all the saws in that video had the same bar & chain and attacked a uniform piece of..
    say 24inch hard wood. Which would be the fastest? How about same situation on a 10x10 cant of soft wood? Just askin..

32. searcher

"Origins" A View Of The Saw World From A Jonsered Enthusiast & Historical Saws At Work
    afleetcommand

Published on Nov 23, 2015
    A "Mini GTG" Fall 2015, Using vintage saws to do real work? Can that happen? Well of course it can! There was a time these saws were "State of the Art". Then the Swedish saw design revolution completely changes the saw world, first with the professional and now with almost all saws from home owners to pro.

33. searcher

Spike60's Saw College, Husqvarna 40 thru 444 & 133 Through 246
    afleetcommand

Published on Aug 21, 2016
    A brief look at two series of "Small" Husqvarna saw series..

34. searcher

Chainsaw Bar Weight Does It Matter?? Stihl, Sugihara, Total, Oregon Bars Measured & Fugly 350 Update
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 6, 2015
    Decided to start putting numbers to these online discussions. Weighed a 32in Stihl, 24/(25) Inch Stihl, 24 Inch Total, 24 Inch Sugihara, 20 inch Forester, 20 inch Total, 20 inch Oregon.. whew!!

And some might be surprised at what is revealed..:)

AND I got "Fugly 350" back after a few months on the road...had to do a few field repairs and.... guess you will need to watch and see.

(Fugly 350 is a Husqvarna 350 built with a Huztl top end & chronicled in an earlier video series....it also was used in one of my logging operations along with a firewood season a year or so ago)

35. searcher

36. searcher

Snap Shots of the Weekend.....Firewood Op's 2016 Weekend 1
    afleetcommand

Published on Sep 5, 2016
    That big Maple from the "Origins" video needed to come out. Had to do it in pieces. Its on a hill side with limited access...couldn't really depict that well with a video....so chopped it down to a couple of minutes. Bob was here and brought the usual array of interesting saw including one with a ....375xp sticker on it! Actually a XPW and I understand for a short period of time Husqvarna considered marketing it as a different than 372 saw....then the "X-Torq's" smashed that entire series...:(

37. searcher

38. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Husqvarna 455 Rancher, 20" bar
    I have 2 acres of redwood forest that is constantly needing some care. So with my chainsaw, a 3000 watt generator and some grub I can keep busy all weekend.

39. searcher

HUSQVARNA 327 PT5S POLE SAW!!!
    That Chipper Guy

Published on Sep 7, 2016
    Had to clear out some overhanging limbs today and the Husqvarna pole saw did the trick!!! The saw worked great hope you enjoy a little pole saw action!!!

40. searcher

WICKED 395XP!!! PORTED AND POLISHED!!
    That Chipper Guy

Published on Aug 6, 2016
    Mike had the Husqvarna 395xp out dropping some big clump maple and ash!! The husky 395xp is ported and polished by WICKED WORK SAWS!! What we have is a ditch full of these nasty maples and some ash that need to come down. If these nasty maple trees don't come down it will stunt the regrowth that would come up. So by cutting these down the regrowth has plenty of sunlight to grow into full mature trees! The trees Mike is cutting have some logs and with a little chainsaw work can fill a chip van with ease!! Time to watch the Husqvarna 395 xp rip and boy does it sound good!!