1. Stocks flat after recent runs. Metals flat to up.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Am. Gold is up slightly, +.5 to 1264, while Silver is up 2 to 1739. Crude is down 44 to 4918. The USD is down 5 to 9887.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

Rate your generators

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

What brand do you prefer?

1. Honda

31 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. Generac

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Coleman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Briggs & Stratton

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. DeWalt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Small type generators for the jobs where power isn't available,

or to be used as temp replacement power,

not talking about whole house, longer term systems

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

There was a thread on this last year. I had a ching chong generator, but sold it because I could probably never get fuel for it for an extended period of time. I can go a week with no electric, but two weeks no a/c in the summer is a bitch.

3. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

If I voted in this one it would do nothing but add random to the mix. I don't really know how it stacks up vs. the others but I did vote with my wallet and bought a small Honda eu2000i inverter generator. I love it.

The price at around $950 is on the high side but available online with free shipping and no tax if you look. They are impossible to find used. It's extremely portable like a suitcase at 40 pounds or so and puts out 1600 watts-2000 peak barely sipping fuel and whisper quiet. The reason I bought is was that I have a diesel pickup that just does not want to start in cold temps without the block heater plugged in. This thing can get thrown in the back seat (fuel cap seals tight, no fuel vapors ever) and used as needed. I also picked up the 12 volt plug/harness that can be used to charge the pickup batteries while it heats up the engine. I direct the exhaust heat toward the oil pan.

It is about as easy to carry around and use where needed as it would be to drag extension cords. I store it in a Greenlee bender box that serves as a faraday cage in case the SHTF. I was told it should run up to 10,000 hours properly maintained.

It comes with my highest recommendation.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Agreed, no matter how much I hate to say it, Honda is number one

I have a Honda power washer too, and every year, starts and runs

5. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Silver Member Silver Miner

My Honda eu2000i has been a real trooper for many years. I have it set up to run on gasoline or propane. I also have a new smaller inverter generator, an 800 watt Earthquake IG800W. Had it only 5 months. It's a bit louder than the Honda, but in every other way within its rated power, just as good.

6. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    got a bunch of them......but the inverter style Hondas or Yamahas are some of the finest portable gennies out there.....(yamaha wasnt a option)

7. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Onan. I don't know why they gave it the same name as the guy in the OT.

8. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I have a Honda Odyssey with 210K miles on it. I don't have a generator, but if I did, it would be a Honda.

The quality of the van is the best I've seen so I'll assume their gen sets are equally as good.

9. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Gold Member Gold Chaser

No questions. Honda is the way to go. As long as it has the HONDA motor, it will start when needed and perform with efficiency and reliability. This carries to lawnmowers. I'll take a Honda motor over Briggs and Stratton. Just give me an old school gas can, please.

10. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    Another nice thing about a lot of the little Honda/Yamaha generators is you can connect two of them to get twice the power when needed without running a bigger unit when you don't need all that power. One bad point of the smaller inverter sets is , they have no option to make 220V available. Personally, I have a Honda 4KW that is almost 30 years old and they don't make the brushes for it any more. The last time I had the brushes replaced, they took them out of a scrapped unit. It will be a sad day when I have to part her out. :( Just like any other Honda motor, it still starts on the first or second pull. If it doesn't, something is in the off position. I also have a Kubota 6.5 KW diesel. I would recommend either of these brands to someone I liked.

Hystckndle and D-FENZ like this.
  11. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

It is quite easy to make brushes for obsolete motors or generators. I made a set for a motor even though they were available but I didn't want to wait for the 2 days for them. Just find some similar but larger and put them on the grindstone. And you really don't need to be precise with your grindings either. You can find them cheap all over eBay or dig through a brush selection at your motor shop. If the wire shunts are wrong you can usually just crimp splice them as needed. As a bonus your sense of satisfaction and well being will benefit from the accomplishment.

Just make sure to wear a dust mask or grind them in an area with good ventilation or you will be picking black boogies for a day or so.

12. SheepDog68

SheepDog68 Gold Member Gold Chaser

Honda has owned this market with its small inverter generators for a while, but I think the Yamaha's inverter generator will take the market away from them unless they step their game up!

Yamaha is a newer design that eliminated several of the Hondas shortcomings and is reported to be just as dependable and long lived!

Guys that sell/work on both tend to like the Yamaha better and I just got a 4 year warranty on the blue 2000 watt one I got!

SD

13. JFN111

JFN111 Silver Member Silver Miner

I voted Honda but mine is a house brand of Northern Tool but uses a Honda motor. Always starts within two pulls.

blue96 likes this.
  14. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

After Hurricane Sandy I upgraded to a Winco HP12000HE with a Honda GX620 marine motor and a Mecc Alte S.p.A. generator head. The EPA stuck its nose into the booming generator business after Sandy and they had to switch to the Honda GX360 engines for emissions.

It might seem like a little overkill but I supply my two elderly neighbors, one on an oxygen generator, with power during outages. The thing runs on gasoline (15 gallon tank), propane and natural gas. Just stay away from the exhaust port. I almost lit my wooden fence on fire while running a periodic test on it last year when I had it too close to the fence.

This is the current incarnation: http://www.wincogen.com/HPS12000HE/

I keep joking with the Mrs. that I need a diesel/coal/wood burning combo to be fully covered for any power outage.

searcher likes this.
  15. SheepDog68

Ok bunny trail alert!

Just got my hands on an old Honda ER 400 that had been tucked into the corner of a garage for 25 years or so. Yea it started on the 5th or 6th pull after I'd done an oil check and added some gasoline!

I was pretty tickled as I expected shop time to get it up and running.

SD

16. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Do whole house standby generators count? I have a Generac 14kw that simply works! I have 95% of the house tied in (including heat and central air) and it never skips a beat

michael59 likes this.
  17. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    I have been fiddling with a KATO 60Kw which is spun by a 471. Ok, ok it is for pumping water.....3phase water.....Oh yeah phased water? Why solid, liquid and gaseous of course. :)

18. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have a Yamaha EU3000 electric start inverter, and I like it better than my previous Honda inverter.

Zed likes this.
  19. tigerwillow1

Let me contribute that I have one of the Earthquake/PortaSource IG800w 800 watt inverter generators and rate it highly over the short period of time I've had it. It's a bit louder than the eu2000i and is of course seriously limited on its power capability. On the other hand, it runs really well and at 20 lbs. is super-easy to move around. Only time will tell for durability, where Honda and Yamaha have already proven themselves.

20. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I hadn't seen this thread until this morning, but I had the opposite opinion from a dealer that I visited yesterday evening. I was looking at a 2000 W Yamaha and a 2000 W Honda. I spoke with two sales people and a manager, and all three recommended the Honda. They also service generators, and I asked about the Yamaha 4-year warranty vs. the Honda 3-year warranty. They told me that the only Honda generators that they see in for repair have either been improperly maintained, or been seriously abused. One of the managers told me that he dropped his Honda inverter 12-15 feet onto concrete and it only received a scuff mark. I must admit that I have not spoken to anyone who owns a Yamaha, but the two independent sources that I have spoken with who have had Honda 2000 W inverters for a couple of years both were very satisfied.

21. <===Foolsgold

<===Foolsgold Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

Someone with the Yamaha told me over the weekend that the Honda had a plastic push rod in the engine.

22. tigerwillow1

I'm afraid he/she is mistaken because the eu2000i uses an overhead camshaft. The camshaft is indeed plastic, and many look down upon that. The other side of the coin is that the eu2000i has an outstanding longevity record.

Zed and <===Foolsgold like this.
  23. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I have a Honda EM500SX, it sat for 3 or 4 years without being started. I needed it for
    remote power. I thought, damn, this is going to be a job to get it going after all this time.

Hahahaha, the battery was dead, so I had to pull start it, 3 pulls & it started, well almost,
    it choked, it gasped, it farted, it smoked, I thought it would die, then for about a minute or so, it went through a bunch of convulsions.
    Then it settle down & ran perfect. I like Honda products.

Zed likes this.
  24. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think the Honda and Yamaha are both reliable. The only ones that I have heard that are trouble with a capital "T" are those cheap, yellow, generators made in China.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  25. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

I voted honda, kick butt and bullet proof. Older inverter style. Used to run the saws and heavy stuff and is now a back up generator.:wink_smile:
    Updated to a Yamaha 2400 watt inverter type. $1400 was worth it so far. Not as loud as the honda either. Runs the cabin off grid all weekend for the last year, (48 hours total a weekend).

This last month got all the solar panels hooked up and done.. But will keep both generators up there. Like having a rifle and two pistols.

26. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Even though I don't have one, I voted Honda. When I was looking for one, Honda was at the top of the list of choices. You can convert it to run on propane if needed, so you don't have to worry about fuel storage. Almost everyone has a propane grill, use that cylinder to run the generator. Just google for the carb kit conversion.

27. SheepDog68

Honda GX620
    If the shop you stopped at sold and services both brands ok, but most will push their brand above others.

The folks I spoke with have experience with both in fact one salesman has I think two Hondas and three Yamahas and found he generally used one of his Yamaha generators. The mechanic took the Yamaha to his grandmother during the last blizzard even though either would have worked.

What I like in the Yamaha is that any two 2000's will link! This allows you to even out the hours on both generators. Honda needs one regular and one companion to link.
    Yamaha has a fuel gauge. Handy but not a deal breaker.
    Yamaha has a fuel shutoff valve that allows easy dry carb shutdown.
    Yamaha is reported to be all metal inside no plastic cams or what have you.
    Yamaha is not noisier and some argue that it is quieter.

Can't argue against Honda and they will likely pass Yamaha during their next model change, but right now the Yamaha seems to be a more intelligent design and possibly better made!

SD

Zed likes this.
  28. Shortstack

Shortstack Bain of the Authoritarian Follower Gold Chaser

I have an Iowa made Mi-T-M Generator. They use Honda engines, so you get the best engine out there, with everything else made in the USA (Peosta Iowa). People in the trades tell me it is the best portable on the market. You can only get these at a contractor supplier in my area. If properly taken care of, this ‘contractor grade’ generator will run for 5 thousand hours easy. Purchased this right after Hurricane Sandy hit. Used it for about a week when my power went out – about 46 hours total. Changed the oil and start it once every few months. That Honda engine always starts with only one or two pulls. It cost me about 4 grand, but some of that was the Hurricane Sandy premium for sure. This contractor supply company was the only place we could find a portable generator within a 150 mile radius. Impossible to find one at that time, even places as far as Northern VT were sold out. I guess nobody but my wife thought of calling a contractor supply company for a generator. Every big box and hardware store was sold out - but I am delighted to have a USA made generator.

The service at Mi-T-M is fantastic, you call Iowa and they pick up by the second ring.

Attached Files:

29. <===Foolsgold

<===Foolsgold Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

30. tigerwillow1

This is incorrect, any combination of Companion and non-Companion eu2000i generators can be connected in parallel. The non-Companion and Companion Hondas are electrically identical. The only difference is in the AC outlet configuration. If you use the Honda parallel cables, the output is limited to 20 amps from a single outlet because of the outlet rating. With the higher rated outlet on the Companion, greater than 20 amps can be pulled. Several of the aftermarket parallel kits include a higher rated outlet to allow greater than 20 amps to be pulled from dual non-Companions. Here's an example http://www.steadypower.com/products.php?product=Honda-EU2000i-Parallel-Cable-Kit-%252d-RV-Ready.

An often cited advantage of Honda over Yamaha inverter generators is that the Honda uses a fuel pump while Yamaha does not, making the use of an external fuel tank much easier with Honda.

Zed and Someone_else like this.
  31. SheepDog68

Interesting!

That's not how it was explained to me! Even my reading about them didn't make it sound that way.

Is that after market only or can you get that option from Honda?

SD

32. tigerwillow1

Honda sells only one type of parallel connection cables to connect 2 generators. It does not include an additional outlet. I see there are fewer aftermarket cables on the market than there were a year ago. Many people have made their own. The generators are paralleled by simply hooking their AC outputs together. They automatically synchronize the outputs. The simplest way to describe the DIY solution is to start with the Honda cable, cut it in half, and put a 30 amp outlet in the middle. Here's a video showing how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqts2Lfgzk . In the past there was a kit to hook 3 generators together (not sanctioned by Honda). There have been a lot of reports of successfully paralleling different size eu generators together, also not sanctioned by Honda.

33. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

They sell Yamaha and Honda, and no other brands. I was a bit surprised that the employees all seemed to prefer Honda, as they had a large Yamaha display and the Hondas were slightly off to the side with a modest display.

34. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

First Month Living off the Grid with Our Portable Generator - Honda EU3000i Handi Review
    Pure Living for Life

Published on Sep 25, 2015
    We picked up our Honda eu3000i Handi generator (find on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1P0NxHL) prior to moving to moving to bare land to start our off grid homestead from scratch. We have been using this small Honda 3000 generator for about a month now and are happy to report that we love it!

We use this portable Honda generator to power our entire RV, run numerous power tools at once, and it will serve as backup for our off grid, solar powered home eventually. Best of all, it's super lightweight, portable, and has a nice, quiet humm to it! It's music to our ears :-)

35. searcher

Generac GP7500E Consumer Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    SSLFamilyDad

Published on Mar 28, 2014
    This is a general overview and review of the Generac GP7500E electric start generator. I have owned this for about 4 months now and have been impressed with the power and performance. I use this generator to power our entire home through a transfer switch tied into our breaker box. The generator has no problem powering all of our essentials and more when needed. There have been some complications with the generator however that I discuss in the video. I do hope that this helps anyone out there looking to purchase a generator by giving a fair and realistic review of the product.

You can purchase this generator here - http://tinyurl.com/kh3mnxh

36. searcher

RIDGID 6800W Portable Generator with Yamaha MZ360 Engine - RD906814P
    Tools In Action

Published on Apr 12, 2016
    We take this RIGID generator available at The Home Depot for a spin. It is a good option for the Jobsite or as a home backup when storms hit.
    6,800-Watt Idle Down Gasoline Powered Electric Start Portable Generator with Yamaha MZ360

37. searcher

Detailed review of the All Power America 6000 watt propane generator
    Spruce Tree

Published on Dec 28, 2012
    Assembly and initial review of an All Power America 6000w propane generator. It was relatively straight forward to assemble. Its a little heavy, but with the wheel kit installed its a breeze to move around on a hard surface. The instructions were ok. I have seen better but they are nowhere as bad as some people indicate. Had a little trouble locating a battery to fit the dimensions and cranking amps, however I found one at Walmart. I started it using the pull cord and using electric start . . . three pulls with the cord and vroom. Purchased it from Canbuilt in Ontario and had it shipped to NL. Great bunch to deal with.

Canbuilt - http://www.canbuilt.com/

Impressions after first use - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL01g...

38. searcher

All Power America 6000w Propane Generator - First Use & Review
    Spruce Tree

Published on Jan 28, 2013
    We had an opportunity to try our 6000w All-Power America propane generator. It did not let us down and we were quite impressed. In the video I mention several hints and tips about using the generator and do a cost comparison with a gasoline model. You will be surprised with the results.

Initial generator review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHdb-e...

31 hours without power - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/2013/01...

39. searcher

Update - All Power America 6000 watt propane generator
    Spruce Tree

Published on Jan 17, 2014
    After a year in storage I check the generator to see if everything is working. We are then hit with a mega storm, frigid temperatures and blackouts lasting for 10s of hours. We realize a limitation to the generator, but resolve the issue easily and cheaply.

40. searcher

REVIEW: Dual Fuel Generator (Propane & Gasoline); Smarter Tools GP7500DEB
    Vicos

Published on Jun 5, 2014
    First, I discuss my rationale for selecting this generator. Next, I unbox it up and go through the setup process with a brief demonstration. Wrapup includes a brief look at a 40 pound propane tank.