1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your generators

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

What brand do you prefer?

1. Honda

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Generac

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Coleman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Briggs & Stratton

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. DeWalt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other?

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. searcher

15K Diesel Generator uncrating and startup
    msfirefighter662

Published on Mar 27, 2013
    A 15k diesel genset from affordable generators being opened and started for the first time.

3. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

My only portable genset is a Honda 1000, too small to be really useful for powering anything but electric power tool or lights. I tried to use it for running some refrigeration one time and it couldn't handle the startup. But, I like generators and have 3 Onans - a 6.5k propane in an rv, a 6.5 diesel that needs some tlc (bought it off craigslist for $300 but it was missing the fuel cutoff solenoid, which are no longer made and on ebay used ones cost as much as the generator - but it runs goods and have put it on the backburner until I find the part at the right price.) and 4k gasser that is the closest Onan to being portable.

I would definitely consider the bigger Honda's if I was in the market. There's a foodtruck nearby that runs a Honda 5 days a week several hours a day and has for years. He has to buy a new one every few years but wouldn't use anything else for his situation.

searcher likes this.
  4. searcher

Harbor Freight Generator Review
    doublewide6

Published on Feb 10, 2013
    http://goo.gl/53LyVG A very nice comparable generator.
    Learn about harbor freights predator generators. Harbor Freight 8750 generator has enough power to power your entire house. I have my generator bolted down on Harbor Freight Platform cart 68894 it is a near perfect fit.

5. searcher

VERY QUIET GENERATOR SILENT BACKUP DIESEL GENERATOR.
    OBXSOLWIND

Published on Nov 10, 2013
    There is no such thing as a silent generator that uses an internal combustion engine. I do understand that the quieter the better. This is a video of my generator and or genset that is very quiet. There are many reasons why you would want a silent generator. I know this video offers very little information to most emergency generator owners but may give some ideas on making your generator silent or quiet. SAFETY is my number one concern. Please use common sense when modifying or enclosing your generator.

6. searcher

Kubota D600 generator 5kw
    Bill Rae

Uploaded on Aug 26, 2011

7. searcher

Honda EB12D 12KW silent diesel generator
    Hatch955

Published on Jan 18, 2013
    This is my Honda EB12D 12KW diesel generator. I added a short exhaust pipe to it in order to deflect the exhaust away from the machine and to keep crud from falling into the pipe.

8. searcher

15KW Onan Diesel Light Plant
    SmallEngineMechanic

Uploaded on Nov 12, 2011
    Hauled this out of a school in Philadelphia yesterday. 15 KW 1800RPM. 4 cylinder Onan diesel.

9. searcher

Oldest working Cat® Generator Set on record in North America
    Cat® Products

Uploaded on May 6, 2009
    Dick and Gene Bertrand have the oldest working Cat® generator set on record in North America. They have worked with their Cat dealer over the past 60 years to ensure proper maintenance practices to extend the life of their equipment. Learn more at: http://www.catelectricpowerinfo.com/YT

10. searcher

Harbor Freight 800 watt generator reliability
    The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist

Published on Nov 30, 2012
    I was impressed with this little inexpensive HF, Chinese generator for a backup generator for storms. I show you a little about the generator, and which parts to locktight, as well as what to change right away. I also show you a little break in procedure I found online from a business that uses these regularily.
    THE BACKUP GENERATOR I HAVE AND RECOMMEND IS BELOW. THIS ONE GETS GREAT REVIEWS, AND AFTER CONVINCING A FRIEND TO BUY IT, HE LIKES HIS AS WELL. The only problem is that it doesn't put out 220volts.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HSP7EK?t...

11. searcher

Honda EU2000i Gas Generator VS Harbor Freight Tools Generator
    Guns & Gears

Uploaded on Sep 12, 2011
    Bought this Honda generator when our power went out for 3 days, Paid $750+tax at Fleet Farm. I was using a $89 Harbor Freight generator at first but it was not powerful enough to run my big refridgerator. So in this video I show all the features of the honda generator, and compare how loud the Harbor freight is to the Honda.

12. searcher

Honda Generators EU 2000 Vs. EU 3000 ! Comparison Storm Prepping By KVUSMC
    KVUSMC / Kenneth W Viar Jr

Published on Jul 20, 2013
    This Is A Video Of My 2 Honda Generators Ready For Hurricanes Tornadoes Or Bad Thunderstorm Power Outages Stay Prepared Thanks For Watching Please Subscribe Kenny

13. searcher

14. searcher

Honda EU3000is Generator - Ready for camping at the cabin. And truck update.
    The Fox Shop

Published on Jun 28, 2016
    Honda EU3000is Generator - Changing oil and getting it ready for camping at the cabin. Also a little truck update!

15. searcher

Honda EU2000i Inverter / Power Generator - Real User Review & How To
    ToolSELECT.com

Published on Oct 30, 2012
    ToolSelect.com put the Honda EU2000i inverter into the hands of Jason Reckner to get his unbiased real world user review on this inverter by Honda.

16. searcher

Military surplus generator repair, and first start after years of sitting
    sewerzuk

Uploaded on Oct 31, 2011
    In this video I go through a typical repair, maintenance, and startup of a MEP-004a 15kW military surplus diesel generator. This is pretty typical of the sets I get; a few parts missing, a few repairs needed. This particular set literally fires up on the first revolution of the engine, despite sitting for years; a testament to how rugged and reliable these things are!

This video was condensed from about 8 hours of work. I will release additional videos as I finish up repairs, maintenance, and load test this generator set.

17. searcher

Military surplus generator repair, and first start after years of sitting part 2
    sewerzuk

Uploaded on Nov 4, 2011
    In part one, I replaced missing parts and made repairs necessary to start the engine after it had been sitting for several years. In this video, I perform a series of functional checks and tests to verify proper engine and generator operation. Some problems are uncovered, which I repair in the video. Watch as this great piece of equipment comes back to life!

18. searcher

Military Generator Backup System
    tylerlavite

Published on Jun 30, 2013
    This is the video test of my military generator hard wired to my house as a backup generator.

19. searcher

First start in 24 years! NEW Onan Military diesel generator first run!
    ETprepper

Published on Apr 13, 2015
    This MEP 003A Military 10 KW genset has .9 hrs on it since new!

Yes, less than 1 hour run time! I bought this from a police dept that didn't want it for a song along with a trailer.

Should run for a long time. Before the first start, I removed all 4 glow plugs and spun engine for a few min to bring oil into diesel engine. Once I had oil pressure I put the glow plugs back in and fired it up as you see, This is a real nice generator.

Subscribe! Thanks.

20. searcher

Bringing another military diesel generator back to life
    sewerzuk

Uploaded on Feb 14, 2012
    In this video, I bring another MEP-004a military surplus diesel generator back to life. This one posed its own challenges, including a faulty switch, leaky injector lines, and more.

24:24 and 29:14 are both interesting points in the video...I figure if I don't post links to them here, somebody else will!

21. searcher

LEID DIESEL'S 1939 GENERAL MOTORS / DETROIT DIESEL 1-71 10KW 1200RPM GENERATOR
    screaminjimmy6V53T

Uploaded on Jan 22, 2012
    Leid Diesel's 1939 GM DIESEL 1-71 Generator (10KW @ 1200rpm) (15HP @1200rpm)
    This is the first 1-71 I have heard in person. Its a very quiet engine at idle, but once you set it to 1200rpm, it just roars. You can feel the ground shaking right next to it. I can only speculate on weight, but the combined unit is probably close to 2000lbs with the GM generator end.

22. mayhem

mayhem Rebel Fire Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Guess on my small screen I missed this post and I voted for the Genrac because I have had one for years. Got a full oil pressure US made Kohler 16hp motor and is rated at 8,000, surge to 12,000. It ran all my needs when I was working and runs most of what I need here at the house. Last time I needed it was when Wilma blew through (05?). It will run the 2 ton AC I have on the bedroom side of the house with a strain. But within a couple of hours it be comfortable to sleep in any of the three bedrooms. Jury rigged a dryer cord into the 220 plug on the gen. All US made parts, not like those wussey ones from China that last about 72 hours, if run non stop.

I start it up every 6 months and let it run for a couple of hours. Good thing it has electric start because this old man prolly couldn't last more than a half dozen pulls. :-)

I did get a deal on it when I bought it back in 03 it cost $1,700, and I got it for 1,200 new. Otherwise I would probably buy a Honda if I were in the market today.

23. mayhem

mayhem Rebel Fire Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Even though this post above is almost a year old I'll tell ya how to make those new gas can's work just like the old ones, so listen up.

Buy yourself a tire stem valve. Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the spot where the old snap cap used to be. Remove the inners from the tire stem. Feed a coat hanger from the hole ya drilled out the fill hole. Slip the tire stem (you didn't throw away the cap did ya?) onto the wire. Make a tight loop on the end of the wire beyond the fat end of the tire stem. Draw the tire stem towards the hole ya drilled. When you get it almost all the way through use some channel locks to grab the tire stem, and pull it till it snaps into the hole. Remove the wire and put the cap on the tire stem and you have a old fashion gas can.

24. searcher

If you or any one else is interested there is a pretty good thread on the newer gas cans here: The NewGasoline Cans

25. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have three of the "old" gas cans and you could not take them away from me with a gun.
    Also, I have a Yamaha EU3000 electric start inverter, and I like it better than my previous Honda inverter.

26. searcher

Yamaha Generator Evaluation
    Dirt Trax Television

Uploaded on Sep 19, 2011
    http://www.dirttraxtv.com

Dirt Trax Television Co-Hosts Luke and AJ Lester have a look at just how much fun you can bring along when you have a Yamaha generator.

Click "Like" if you enjoyed this video and visit our website to watch full episodes online!

27. searcher

"The Deuce" 2-71 Detroit Diesel Generator
    emerson4436

Uploaded on Aug 26, 2008
    Since 1986 Emerson & Matkin has been providing replacement parts, repair and rebuild services along with technical support for the EMERSON 2-71GM 12.5KW 15KW 20KW Generator sets. Whatever your needs are we can provide quick response and affordable pricing. We have every part available in new, used, repaired, rebuilt exchange or outright purchase. Visit us at www.emerson2-71gm.com.

28. searcher

2-71 Detroit Diesel generator running
    Possum Living

Uploaded on Apr 7, 2008
    My 3rd world shop power solution. Runs on just about any kind of oil you can scrounge, has enough power to operate welders, air compressors, and other shop tools, and runs 2 to 3 hours per gallon of fuel when running at light loads, as it is here.
    I have a more efficient, Lister type genset as well, but it doesn't have enough power to run much shop equipment.

29. searcher

Generator shack
    NYHalfassprepper

Published on Jun 3, 2012
    This is a look at the inside of my generator shack. I work offshore so I must leave my family for a week at a time. Here is the solution I came up with for power outages and winter storms.

30. searcher

Gentleman...Start Your (generator) Engines!!!!!
    58 Powermaster

Uploaded on Jan 31, 2012
    Is your generator ready??? Don't just put it in the garage and think it'll be there ready and waiting for the next power outage. A little TLC will make sure you won't be in the dark when the power goes out.

31. searcher

WWII Signal Corps Generator
    steamer123

Uploaded on Jul 23, 2011
    WWII Signal Corps Generator. 120/230 Volts AC 300 Watts. Rope Start 2 Cycle engine with shielded ignition also has original water tight case and 2 War Department 1944 manuals. It looks like it has very low time on it. The generator work fine. In the video it was running a little rich as you can see when I turned the gas off and it leaned out the rpms went up. I put extra oil in the gas also figuring it would help lube the piston sense it hadn't ran in a long time.

32. searcher

WW-2 P.E. 210 Generator
    D. R. H.

Published on Dec 29, 2014
    I bought this little generator from a friend about a year ago. When I got it home and started looking at it, I discovered that allot of the nuts and bolts were very loose.
    So I took it completely apart, tightened everything up, replaced some parts that were broken, mixed up some gas and oil and got her running.
    It's a great little gennie for some camp lighting. 120v A/C, 300 watts.

33. searcher

Drews New (old) military Generators
    tommartyn

Published on Oct 5, 2012
    So he finally did what he's been wanting to do for a long time now :) bid on something from http://www.govliquidation.com/ 2 things actually, these generators. And after working on them, these beasts run and generate. :) So no more slacking you fuckers, get on that website, and buy some Deuce and a halfs from a military base near you :) Or shit, why not go for the 5 ton's? Or maybe 3 pallets of strange electric motors? Theres so much awesome weird, cool, useful stuff that gets auctioned off, from bases all across america, check it out! and let me know what you end up buying.

34. searcher

One Of Drews New Generators Running
    tommartyn

Published on Feb 28, 2013
    Already got rid of 1, firing up the one with the sound suppression kit here. Also turning on power to the broken glass stove top as well. 4cyl air cooled ONAN diesel, probably around 16hp, being that the smaller ones were the same as these, but only 2 cyl's, and they were about 8.2hp? i think drew said one time. For 7200 watts, and these are about 12000 watts i believe. They say 10KW, but thats just the conservative, run forever output. The math works out to i think 12000 or so watts. The power usage gauge goes up to like 150 percent or something :) Because the gauge is setup for 10KW. I'm not explaining this well. Sorry i haven't been making many videos lately guys, i've been really busy. Just spent the last few days doing the canopy addition. Footage of that soon.

35. searcher

My cheap Chinese generator - $20 - a bargain
    xynudu

Published on Dec 4, 2012
    I picked this little two stroke generator up locally for only $20. The pull start mechanism had destroyed itself. The unit had done very little work, and after a bit of work on my cheap Chinese lathe the generator was running better than new.

Here's the small bench lathe I used to make the parts to fix it:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~gloamin...

and the cheap little pencil air die grinder I used with a carbide burr to easily make the cut out in the pulley for the rope to catch on:

http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/microgr...

and here's a link to my other web pages dealing with similar stuff:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~gloamin...

After I made the video I located an idle mixture adjuster hidden away on the carby and managed to smooth out the voltage a bit more, but power from this cheap generator will never be very "clean".

It's OK for power tools and lights, but not electronic equipment.

I later sold the little genny as it wasn't really any more powerful than my 550 watt Kawasaki unit, despite the 750 watt rating.

But for the money they are certainly a handy little unit for power tools.

36. searcher

german ww2 generator motor -Typ C1
    MrMauserk98k

Published on Feb 18, 2016

37. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Have an older Honda EB3500 that I purchased from a pawn shop. It's basically still new. That thing has sat for two years with, or without fuel in it (Stabil) and starts on the first or second pull every time. We've been using an old piece of shit looking Makita on the jobsite. Thing runs all day, never had a problem with it, til it shut down due to low oil level. Oil in it was blacker than tar. General Contractor's generator. We topped it off with fresh oil, and it kept chugging! He said he couldn't remember when, if ever changing the oil on the thing!

searcher likes this.
  38. searcher

MEP-002A 5 kw Diesel Generator - Military Surplus
    Gene -

Published on Jul 18, 2013

39. searcher

World War II Army Generator - Still Burning Bright!
    Journeyman

Uploaded on Nov 10, 2008
    https://sites.google.com/site/briggsa...
    1944 Briggs and Stratton PE-77-D Power unit. 3876 - Phila 44 2700 rpm 250 watts 115 volts. Made from 1938 -1949, 2.00" Bore, 1.50" Stroke -3/4 - 1 HP Briggs Model I L-head, (flat-head) engine used the WM series engine block. These engines use the deep oil sump with an oil pump. This engine was used on WWII generator units.

40. searcher

1939 Ruston Hornsby VRO4 WWII Mawdsley Generator cold start
    jrvintage

Published on Nov 16, 2013
    He we have a 1939 Ruston Hornsby VRO 4 with a Mawdsley 31.3KVA generator set, belived to be a back-up generator from a Goverment Office building in London durring WW II. Serial no.195820
    The video was shoot on a cold day around 5 degrees, It requird two sniffs of the dreaded easy start to help it along (the battery was slightly to small and very flat)
    The Load was across two phases one with over 100 x 100 w bulbs on it and the other 2x very large sodium lamps.