1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your generators

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

What brand do you prefer?

1. Honda

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Generac

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Coleman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Briggs & Stratton

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. DeWalt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other?

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

LITTLE FAIRBANKS MORSE GENERATOR
    SmallEngineMechanic

Published on Aug 26, 2017
    A few weeks ago I found this little generator set on Craigslist. It was built and sold by Fairbanks Morse and is powered by a model 23FBP Briggs and Stratton engine.
    I like this little bugger because it is pretty much all original and is mounted on a cart which makes it very easy to move around.

2. searcher

garage sale finds military generator aug 26 2017
    Mustie1

Published on Aug 27, 2017
    went garage sale shopping and found a gps, an old military generator and a a what is it?

3. Garyw

Garyw The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure Silver Miner

tired and retired
    I live in an RV and have a 7KW Onan Diesel,100gal fuel tank, 4 12v house batteries and 2 12v starting batteries. 3,000 watt Inverter. 200 watts of Solar Panels Tires and cat power to move.

Howdy likes this.
  4. searcher

Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Inverter Generator Review
    See More Toys

Published on Aug 21, 2017
    I picked up this genset from Harbor Freight for a little under $700. These just came out about a month ago. I needed a small generator to run the AC in my camper while boonedocking. It weighs around 100 lbs, has built on wheels and electric start. Please enjoy my review of this great little generator.

5. searcher

What Can it Power? Harbor Freight Predator 2000 Generator
    Landberg Tile-Handyman-DIY

Published on Aug 28, 2017
    This video will demonstrate what the Harbor Freight Preditor 2000 Generator can power. We will test RV trailer appliances and power tools.

Click below for my other videos!

Best Lightweight Generator Quiet Box? - DIY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGt97...

Best Tabletop Tile Saw for DIY? Quick Review - SKIL Tile Saw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G7Iz...

Click below to Subscribe!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Qz...

Thanks for watching!

6. searcher

Predator 3500 Generator from Harbor Freight - 25 Hour Oil Change & Service
    KevCentral

Published on Aug 30, 2017
    Harbor Freight's Predator 3500 watt Inverter Generator is a great deal at $699. It provides 3000 running watts of power and can run for hours on end on very little gasoline. The build quality seems to be well above anything i've seen from Harbor Freight's generators up to this point. It is very well built and has performed flawlessly for me so far.

The instructions are typical harbor freight instructions, and they contradict themselves regarding the break-in service requirements. Of course, the generator should be ran on lighter loads for the first 25 hours, but the instructions mention changing the oil at 8 hours on one page - then say to 25 hours is the break-in oil change interval. To be safe I changed the oil at 8 hours. I'm glad I did. The oil looked about as I expected with a metallic sheen common on oil in a new china made engine. At 25 hours I was pleasantly surprised to see the oil was perfectly clean of any metallic flake. Not only that, but the performance of the generator up to this point has been issue free. I did change the spark plug to an NGK plug at 8 hours, but the original torch plug showed no signs of issue.

These generators do appear to run on the rich side when going from a light load to a heavy power draw, so regular oil changes at the specified 100-hour interval are highly recommended - if not sooner.

Overall this is a great generator thus far and I expect a long life from this product. More videos to come on the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 watt Inverter Generator, so stay tuned!

7. searcher

Ryobi GenControl 2,300-Watt Gasoline Digital Inverter Generator with Bluetooth | RYi2300BTA
    WorkshopAddict

Published on Sep 2, 2017
    Best Ryobi Inverter - We have looked at the older model Ryobi Inverter Generators in the past with decent reviews of them. When unboxing the new GENControl Inverter Generator it was apparent that Ryobi was out to fix some small issues they had with other models. While the GENControl on the front of the inverter is awesome, they did not stop there. There is no longer a need to have a Philips screwdriver to check the oil. There is a nice thumbscrew that allows access. The 120v outlet has been slightly upgraded with a more stable outlet. The rear tires are a bit larger if you roll this behind you much. The larger item is how quiet this unit is compared to the older models. Not that they were loud, but this unit is Honda Inverter Generator quiet. That is a big deal for people using these tailgating, camping or on the jobsite.

Ryobi included Bluetooth in the 2,300-Watt Inverter Generator so one can monitor the fuel level, time until empty and power stats remotely. There are also some maintenance items in there, but we see this being useful to campers the most. From inside the camper, one can turn on different items and see how the inverter generator is handling the load along with checking fuel levels. For many other uses on would simply just look at the front of the inverter generator for the information.
    RYI2300BTA Features

2,300 starting watts, 1,800 running watts
    On-board LCD displays fuel level, runtime remaining and load level
    Ryobi GenControl app allows monitoring of power consumption, fuel level and runtime remaining
    On-board overload reset button and remote reset capable using free GENControl app
    Parallel kit available to connect 2 for twice the power
    Two 120-Volt outlets and 2 USB Ports
    Auto-idle & RPM control
    57 dBA at idle - 68 dBA at full load
    3-year limited warranty
    Knowing is Half the Battle

With GENControl, the user is able to monitor the load on the 2,300 starting watts and 1,800 running watts. The information and low noise level of this inverter generator has it ranking pretty high in our list of the best inverter generators on the market. We have a lot of stories of people trying to push these small units a bit too far and overloading them over and over. When they overload, they cut power to everything and have to be reset. It is an inconvenience that does not need to happen when you have access to the information this unit provides.

Like almost all inverter generators, the Ryobi unit will idle-down and vary the RPM based on the load. This keeps the unit as quiet as possible while keeping the voltage consistent so it can be used for sensitive items. If more power is needed, Ryobi offers a parallel capable, so you can link two Ryobi inverter generators together for twice the power.

Ryobi backs this inverter generator with a 3 year warranty. That will most likely not cover any issues with the carburetor, so be sure to add a fuel stabilizer to each and every tank. These small engines have tiny jets in the carburetor and they can plug very easily with today's E5 to E15 ethanol fuels.

Specifications

Running Watts: 1800

Starting Watts: 2300

Fuel Tank Capacity: 1.2 Gallons

Run Time at 25% Load: 10.3 Hours

Outlets: (2) 120V AC 20 Amp and (2) 5V DC 2.1 Amp USB

Weight: 53 lbs

Warranty: 3-Year Limited

8. searcher

$25 Generator From Lowes - Will It Run?
    Jennies Garage

Published on Aug 31, 2017
    This little generator caught my eye when I was shopping at Lowe's. I couldn't pass up the price or the opportunity for a challenge so I brought it home. It's a Generac iq2000 model that looks pretty rough.

9. searcher

predator 3500 unboxing and problems
    Andy Matthews

Published on Aug 18, 2017
    This is an unboxing of my fourth unit from harbor freight. All of the units I have gotten from them have all come to find out been starving for air. After taking this video shortly after I found that if you leave the oil fill door off they do not hesitate or run rough.

UPDATE 8/31/2017!!!!!
    PLEASE CHECK OUT PART 2 LOCATED AT THE LINK BELOW!!
    https://youtu.be/wkFM6R15zFE

10. searcher

Predator 3500 unboxing and problems (part 2) A good one Finally!
    Andy Matthews

Published on Sep 4, 2017
    This is my second video on the predator 3500 inverter generator from harbor freight. This is the fifth unit that I've been through and I finally have one that ISN'T starving for air. The previous four units were all not receiving enough air flow in order to run correctly. While dealing with this problem I found that if you removed the oil fill/check cover from the side of the case this remedied the problem. What the exact cause of this is still unknown to me, however, I finally got one that seems to be running correctly. One thing I can say though is that there seems to be a whole lot more air flowing into the case through the intake vent located at the bottom of the unit below the control panel and the battery door.

11. searcher

RYOBI 2300 vs CHAMPION 3100 - Which One is Right for Your RV?
    VagabonDaze

Published on Sep 2, 2017
    In this video, I do a comparison of the two generators when it comes to which is better for your RV.

Champion 3100 Inverter/Generator
    http://amzn.to/2wsiTmL

Ryobi 2200 Inverter/Generator
    http://amzn.to/2wsjDYX

12. searcher

ONAN GENERATOR RESTORATION (part 3) 15 KW
    805ROADKING

Published on Sep 7, 2017
    Me and Mike continue work on the Onan Generator 15KW

13. searcher

$25 Generator From Lowes - I Found The Problem!!
    Jennies Garage

Published on Sep 7, 2017
    Continued work on the neglected Generac iq2000 generator from lowe's.

14. searcher

Predator 6500/5500 Generator First Start And Review
    The Backyard Machine Shop

Published on Sep 9, 2017
    In this video go over the first start of the Predator 6500/5500 generator

15. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I had a ching chong generator I purchased after a hurricane in 2005. The only problem is having enough gasoline to go for 1 week or two. I think a dual fuel where you could store propane tanks would be much better and safer.

searcher likes this.
  16. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I got a tri-fuel one this way I am covered. I can burn natural gas, propane or gasoline. You just have to calculate your loads accordingly. You get 100% with gasoline you take a 10% hit using propane and a 20% hit using natural gas. Always base your loads with the lowest common denominator because you will always need to power something you didn't plan for.

searcher likes this.
  17. searcher

Champion Generator 3650 Watt Power Pod Build For My Lawn & Garden Equipment
    Unemployed Redneck Hillbilly Creations

Published on Sep 3, 2017
    I decided to give up on battery and 2 stroke powered infrequently used lawn and garden equipment. Purchased a small generator and made a mount for my Kubota to have a portable power pod. It allows me to use lower cost electric powered equipment in the yard that has a long life for infrequent use.

18. searcher

A GFCI Plug Will Not Work With My Champion 3650 Watt Generator
    Unemployed Redneck Hillbilly Creations

Published on Sep 8, 2017
    This is a follow up to the video about mounting a generator on my tractor. I said I was going to try and add a GFCI to the generator for extra protection, but after buying and installing a plug type one I soon found out it will not work with the floating neutral wiring of my generator. Looks like the generator is only for use in dry conditions and no extra protection can be added.

19. searcher

generator engine blow.
    Mustie1

Published on Sep 11, 2017
    l picked up this machine but it needed too much to fix it, so it was going to be stripped for parts. why not see how it does with no oil and full throttle.

20. searcher

Predator 6500/5500 Generator Follow-Up
    The Backyard Machine Shop

Published on Sep 16, 2017
    After the storm follow up on the Predator Generator

21. nickndfl

My mom burned up their massive Honda generator and drove 2 hours to get my sister's generator only to have the power return 4 hours later. The problem my mom experienced was because they never did any maintenance on their unit. They wanted me to fill the tubeless tires with one of those newly invented cordless drill air compressors while the generator was running.

In times of emergency you need less headaches, not more.

searcher likes this.
  22. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Used my coleman for Charlie and Irma, no complaints, make sure you run it dry , I left gas in mine after Charlie and ended up having to pull the carb and clean it before Irma hit. It would do you well also to pull the plug and fog the engine with a marine fogger.

searcher likes this.
  23. nickndfl

I was thinking of buying this generator for the next hurricane, but don't want a bunch of problems. For < $300 could I still go wrong? gen.jpg

Howdy likes this.
  24. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

Yes..............

25. nickndfl

26. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

That's only half the watts of the Harbor Freight. Some Generacs are made in USA, some in China, some mixed. I'm not familiar with their inverter gens.
    The problems with HF gens is they don't hold up to the vibration, threads on bolts, holes are sloppy, metals soft, camshafts plastic, coating on windings inferior. It's a gamble. Sometimes you get lucky. I've seen Chinese vibratory plate compactors with Predator engines last several hundred hours. If a generator absolutely has to work when you need it, don't buy Chinese. The Japs are using plastic cams on most of their small engines now, too, but not having many problems with them.

nickndfl likes this.
  27. searcher

will it run? free old kawasaki 550 generator
    Mustie1

Published on Sep 19, 2017
    I was given this kawasaki 550 generator from a subscriber to make this video, lets see what it takes to bring it back to life.

28. searcher

Caterpillar Generator Set Repair Part 6 (Tear Down #4)
    SmallEngineMechanic

Published on Oct 1, 2017
    Finally back to working on the CAT.

29. searcher

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER POWERED GENERATOR
    SmallEngineMechanic

Published on Sep 24, 2017
    Anybody have any experience working on or operating one of these engines?

30. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

31. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

I bought a new Honda EU3000is inverter generator a year ago for $1999. It works pretty well in warm weather. In cold weather it's only about 95% reliable. The output indicator light blinks and power disconnects. Sometimes won't start, but cranks good with electric start.
    Very quiet. Pretty good on fuel. It has a switch for "eco throttle", when it's off, it runs at high RPM all the time, when it's on, it automatically adjusts RPM according to load. I find I have to run it without the eco throttle off most of the time because it's ability to adjust RPM smoothly according to load changes leaves a bit to be desired. Eco throttle will not run a 10k BTU window AC. It will not regulate well enough to run a washing machine either, the surges ruined the electronic board and motor in my new Amana.
    I took it back to the dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong with it, bunch of incompetent kids. They did admit that it had to be run with the eco throttle off most of the time and that carbon buildups were a problem unless they were run full load full RPM.
    I expected more for $2K

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  32. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

My 7,000 surge to 12,000 Brigs/Generac fired up instantly after not having been run in 12 years after Irma. It's all USA built and I have had it for going on 20 years now. It's strong enough to fire up the 2 1/2 ton central air unit in the bedroom area. Run it for 2 hrs after the sun goes down and sleep comfortably.

oldgaranddad and searcher like this.
  33. searcher

34. searcher

Generac 27KW Natural Gas Home Generator
    upupaepops

Published on Sep 24, 2009
    Overview of my Generac QuietSource series 27KW Natural Gas Liquid Cooled Generator. This is the liquid cooled, inline 4 automotive style engine. A little out of place from other Survival videos, but having air conditioning after a hurricane is survival in my book! ;)

35. AgBar

AgBar Commodore Gold Chaser

Annoyed
    I've had one for the last 6 or 7 years. So far my only complaint is that it can be a b**** to start sometimes.

I haven't had to really work it for days on end *knock on wood*, but every few months I spin it up and run my refrigerator or some other big load off of it for a few hours. No problem. Pretty good on gas, too.

It's not the quietest generator in the world, either.

So yeah, maybe not the best 2 kW inverter on the market, but mine has been good so far. And for the money it's worth looking at, IMO.

searcher likes this.
  36. searcher

TECUMSEH GENERATOR REPAIR
    805ROADKING

Published on Nov 3, 2017
    Picked up an old Tecumseh Generator that was seized, we have to figure out what is ailing it

37. searcher

TECUMSEH GENERATOR REPAIR (part 2)
    805ROADKING

Published on Nov 11, 2017
    Picked up an old Tecumseh Generator that was seized, we have to figure out what is ailing it

Please consider supporting us on Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/805ROADKING

38. searcher

TECUMSEH GENERATOR REPAIR (part 3)
    805ROADKING

Published on Nov 14, 2017

39. searcher

TECUMSEH GENERATOR REPAIR (part 4)
    805ROADKING

Published on Nov 17, 2017
    We continue working on the Tecumseh Generator

40. searcher