1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your generators

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

What brand do you prefer?

1. Honda

32 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. Generac

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Coleman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Briggs & Stratton

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. DeWalt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other?

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Generator Troubleshooting, Repair, Maintenance, and Starting Issues - Ranch Hand Tips
    Yanasa Ama Ranch

Published on Sep 10, 2017

Generator Engine is running, but no AC output is available.

1. One of the circuit breakers is open.
    2. Fault in generator.
    3. Poor connection or defective cord set. 4. Connected device is bad.

Generator Engine runs well at no-load but “bogs down” when loads are connected.

1. Short circuit in a connected load.
    2. Engine speed is too slow.
    3. Generator is overloaded.
    4. Shorted generator circuit.

Generator Engine will not start; starts and runs rough or shuts down when running.

1. Engine switch set to off position (O).
    2. Fuel valve is in “Off” position.
    3. Low oil level.
    4. Dirty air cleaner.
    5. Out of fuel.
    6. Stale fuel.
    7. Spark plug wire not connected to spark plug.
    8. Bad spark plug.
    9. Water in fuel.
    10. Flooded.
    11. Excessively rich fuel mixture.
    12. Intake valve stuck open or closed.
    13. Engine has lost compression.

Generator Engine lacks power.

1. Load is too high.
    2. Dirty air filter.

Generator Engine sputters, “hunts” or falters.

1. Carburetor is running too rich or too lean.

In this Video we'll be working on a Troy Bilt 6250 Generator. This has issues starting, once it is started, it runs weak, blows smoke, sputters, and cuts off. We'll show you how to repair the generator, and perform routine generator maintenance that will help the generator run stronger and provide more energy.

About the Troy Bilt 6250 Generator:

Powered by a Briggs & Stratton 1850 Series™ OHV engine, the Troy-Bilt® 6250 portable gas generator produces 6250 running watts and 8500 starting watts to power home comforts such as lights, television, phone, refrigerator or sump pump. This portable power generator has an 8.5 gallon metal fuel tank that provides up to 11 hour run time @ 50% load while the control panel features 4-120V 20A household type outlets and 1-120/240V 30A locking type outlet. (Unavailable in California)

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tro...

Troy Bilt 6250 Generator Operators Manual / Owners Manual:

http://www.troybilt.com/wcsstore/Troy...

2. searcher

3. searcher

Something a bit different.............

Wood Stove SMOKE used to run a generator, with a load test!
    MrTeslonian

Published on Dec 10, 2017
    This is the "Green Energy Independence Stove", or "GEIS". This system Heat's your home, heat's your water, runs your propane fridge, produces gasoline for your car and POWER'S your home. This Stove can burn all paper and plastic trash, cow dung, wood, grass and even dry human waste plus just about every other dry organic compound. The bio-digester manure can be burnt after it produces methane for you and used as Syn-Gas.

4. searcher

Ryobi 700 / 900 Watt Generator Review RYi911LP
    Fernbark Frist

Published on Dec 17, 2017
    It Runs On Propane!! My impressions of this generator after running it for a few hours.

As with any do-it-yourself project, unfamiliarity with the tools and process can be dangerous. This video should be construed as non expert, informational advice. I, will not be held responsible for any injury or damage due to the misuse or misunderstanding of any DIY project or videos. By Watching or following anything in this video, you assume all risks associated with using the experimental information or advice given, with a full understanding that you, solely, are responsible for anything that may occur as a result of putting this information into action in any way, and regardless of your interpretation of the advice.

5. searcher

Predator 3500 RV Edition
    Roland White

Published on Dec 27, 2017
    I own a Winnebago Rialta. It's 20 years old. There are no new generators currently available for it and you can no longer get parts for the Generac that came in it. So if I wanted a new generator I would have to build it myself. So I did.

The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Watt Inverter generator turned out to be the idea candidate for a donor machine. Not only was it compact enough to fit, it was also the most affordable and most modern inverter generator on the market today. And it's turning out to be very dependable. It get's rave reviews from those who own one and I sent several of them over to Puerto Rico after hurricane Irma where they ran them constantly and I've have not had a single complain. So I'm comfortable with my decision to use this model.

I started the conversion in early August 2017 immediately after purchasing the generator, but I had to put the project on hold for a couple of months to focus on more pressing projects. But since I plan on heading to Florida for the winter, time was running out to complete the generator. I jumped back on the project full steam ahead right after Thanksgiving and finished it up on Christmas Eve. It's not perfect but I didn't expect it to be. This is just a proof of concept. The next version will be so much better and go together so much quicker. I learned so many ways to improve on the current model and I've already started on version II.

Although this conversion was for the Rialta, this generator could be retrofitted practically any RV designed to house a generator. Given enough request, I may create a version for your RV too. Give me a shout!

6. searcher

Predator 2000 Inverter generator power quality compared to other cheep generators
    Chainsaws and generators

Published on Nov 8, 2017
    see why your ups dose not like your portable generator

7. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

I bought a new EU2000i generator on sale for $899 out the door. I put around 35 hours on it so far. It works pretty well in temps down to 10 degrees f so far (haven't tried it below that), but will not start at that temp. Fortunately (unlike my EU3000is) it's light enough to carry indoors to get it warm enough to start. Usually takes about 5 pulls to get it to fire. I bought the optional 12 volt charging leads and have been using that to charge my battery bank, which takes several hours at high throttle. If you try to charge 12 volts at eco throttle, it puts out very little, which leads me to believe that the 12 VDC doesn't go thru the inverter.

Update on my EU3000is: The operational limit is 25 degrees F. It will not start below that. If I manage to start it at 26 degrees it will run until the temperature drops to around 22. I bought some Mobil one 0-W-30 oil which I will replace the 10-W-30 with to see if that helps. I was impressed that the battery and starter cranked it so vigorously and repeatedly in cold weather without slowing. It would even fire and stay running a few seconds at full choke/almost full choke, but never came up to speed below 25 degrees.

I suspect that the poor performance in cold weather is due to lean carburation. They achieve low emissions and good fuel economy at a price.

Hondas are fair weather generators. I wonder if anyone has tried rejetting them.

Soon I will purchase a 5 to 7 KW gasoline generator to use as the main house generator and it will not be a Honda. The main purpose of the house generator will be to supplement the solar when there is snow on the roof or just overcast winter weather. Cold weather reliability is what gasoline powered generators are known for. Too bad Honda chose low emissions and fuel economy instead. I'm looking for an old Onan RV generator made in the eighties.

8. searcher

Sportsman GEN4000DF SS 4000 Watt Portable Dual Fuel RV READY Generator
    Јоhn Daniel

Published on Dec 30, 2017
    If you want to know about that generator, see http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-532... Generator PRI-G Fuel Stabilizer at http://amzn.to/2DD8m92 for cars, trucks, generators, motorhomes and boats. Over flights performed by SYMA DRONE http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-532... Syma X8SC 2.4G 4CH 6Axis

*THE TRAVELING WINNEBAGOS™ 2018 ℠ and the JOHN DANIEL channels are a linked source for whats full of Odd and Crazy DIY Projects with Reviews.
    *Videos shared to PrepperMountain are on share use agreement.

Sportsman Sandstorm generador de emergencia de generador de combustible dual de 4000 vatios http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-532...

9. searcher

Life in a Tiny House called Fy Nyth - CHAMPION vs. HONDA Generator & Maintenance
    Fy Nyth

Published on Jan 5, 2018
    How I maintain my generator which is used to backup my battery bank when sunlight is in short supply such as this time of year. And a comparison of small Champion vs. Honda generators.

The generator I have (it does occasionally go on sale for more like $250) http://amzn.to/2CDxFuK

And the little Honda my neighbor has that I've used. http://amzn.to/2CDbJzY

More details on my whole power system.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXyjZ...

10. searcher

11. searcher