1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Reduce your prescription drug costs?

Discussion in 'Alt Medicine/Coll Silver' started by Crockett, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

No this is not an alternative medicine solution. however, it could be a solution that reduces the cost of the prescription drugs that you require.

I recently found a great solution, especially for those of you like me that do not have prescription drug coverage. Look into Singlecare. It is free, has no fees, and reduced my drug cost significantly.

I need to apply eye drops daily. I called around and the highest cash cost for my prescription was $73.00 per month, and the lowest was $49.00 per month.

With the Singlecare Pharmacy savings card my cost was $22.41 (or $7.47 per month) to fill a three-month prescription.

Why does a bunch of numbers on a free card, entered into the Pharmacy computer, result in a price that is cheaper than simply a cash price is beyond me???

By the way I have not found an alternate medicine solution for my condition to even try.

Note: Singlecare may save you money even if you currently have prescription coverage.
    Note: Purchasing a 3-month supply saved me 50% over a 1-month supply using Singlecare.
    Note: I do get an email once an a while regarding their video doctor service (has not been an issue).
    Note: I only use their service and have no other interest.​

Goldhedge and TAEZZAR like this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I found COSTCO to have exceptionally low prices. My BP med's are $15 for a 90 day supply, compared to $85 else where.

3. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I don't need any prescription drugs just yet... though that could change in the future.

Looks like this could be a supplement for Medicare part D??

4. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

To sign up the only information that they requested was my name and email.

I’m certain an anonymous email and fake name will also work. Then the only possible downside would be that your name would not be on the card. You would need to use the card to see if the pharmacy will accept it with the fake name.

Note you can access the card online per your “account” and print it out.

I do not have Medicare.

The Singlecare site says they partner with most pharmacies.

5. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

There are other options also. I use a smart phone app called Good Rx. They don't ask me for my info, I'm sure they take all they can off of my phone. Anyway, just type in the name(s) of your med(s), the strength of the med(s) and search. If your location services are turned on in your phone it will look for the best prices in your area, automatically apply it's discount and then display the discounted price at all participating locations around you. When you go to get your script filled just show the cashier your phone with the Good Rx discount info and they enter in their terminal and you save the dollars.

I used to get any scripts filled at the local CVS. This year's insurance plan (BCBS) will NOT cover any prescriptions until a $4500 deductible is met. Yes, OUCH! Anyway, went there to get my script filled, 30 days, $218.00!!! A friend turned me on to Good Rx. Did the thing next month and it pointed me to Meijer (mega-mart, walmart sort of place). Script was $52 and change. Mr. Wallet felt much better...so did I.

Not sure how or if it will work with medicare since I won't need to know for a year or so...if it's still around.

I've shared this info about Good Rx with other folks locally and some have told me about other similar plans that they use.

Crockett likes this.
  6. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Alton, be aware that the good RX price will not be applied to your deductible. If you have no expectation to meet your deductible you come out ahead but should you meet your deductible then you actually lost (especially if you go to 100% after deductible like my plan).

7. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    On another note....zenni optical is a good place for cheap glasses. Need your script. Enter Rx on line, upload a pic and use it to view frames. Wife picked up her standard lenses (variety of options) and frames delivered to house in less the 7 days for under $17.

Bifocals and progressives start at $24 I believe.

Someone_else and Crockett like this.
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

What about a good place to buy non-prescription drugs?

9. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

The best way to sane on prescription drugs is not to take them at all. In most cases you'll be better off.

Bigjon and Crockett like this.
  10. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Good Rx would be a couple of bucks more for my prescription which would not be a deal breaker. Looks like Good Rx is a good option.

11. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

I agree for things that can be corrected by changing your diet etc. Doc says I will eventually go blind without.

Howdy likes this.
  12. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    Yea, blanket statements about the horrors of Rx need to be taken with a grain of salt when issued by people not dealing with ailments that a Rx "fixes".

13. engineear

engineear Seeker Seeker

Medical field
    I've been a licensed optician for 42 years. I saw a woman yesterday that got her glasses from there. 4 pair. 2 were good and 2 were bad. I suggested she send them back and she replied that was not an option. Who took the measurements for pupillary distance and bifocal height, I asked? She did, she said. That's your first mistake. And who do you think is going to adjust these glasses you got on line? Oh, the website says to take to any optical and they'll do it. Well, I can tell you folk that get them online....go back to where you bought them! If you've had good luck with your on line purchase, good for you. I've had more complaints from people about online glasses than I'd care to talk about. You get what you pay for and if you want to play optician, have at it. Just don't bring that crap to me. I won't fix or adjust. Take it back to where you got it. They repair and adjust over the phone...or so I heard on the internet.

Hystckndle likes this.
  14. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

[​IMG]
    Receive Savings and Ongoing Support From Lantus® Connection™
    With your Sanofi Rx Savings Card, you’ll pay $10* per Lantus®prescription for the program duration.
    You’ll also gain access to content featuring tips on diet, exercise and improving your blood sugar levels from Lantus® Connection™. Plus downloadable tools, support, and inspiration from our mentor network and personalized mail or email.
    https://www.lantus.com/sign-up/savings-registration

My insurance decided to not cover Lantus any longer. My wife however used this program to get Lantus for 10 dollars per month. I do not think it will apply if someone is on medicaid, medicare or Tricare. We are saving a bundle using this card and it loos to me like its the cheapest insuin out there today.

15. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater

You are right. You get what you pay for. But her last glass at a "real" optometrist cost her $425 (with insurance)....like the lady said...not an option.

The lady you spoke of was an idiot for doing her own measurments. Any quality exam will have those measurements on the script.

16. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I purchased my glasses online and they have been fantastic. Everybody loves them.

25340_main.jpg

17. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

^^^^^ I wish I could afford such luxury.

18. engineear

engineear Seeker Seeker

Medical field
    The Pupillary Distance is not required to be on the RX in a lot of states. That's the opticians job. I'm not sure today, but a few years back, an optician I know in Nevada charged $50 for a PD if you didn't get the glasses there. You will get a copy of your RX that you paid for but wherever you buy, the optician will take that measurement. How is that done online?
    As far as a bifocal height measurement, that is not on your RX. How could it be? All frames will have different measurements. How is that done online?
    This is America. Free enterprise. Charge what people are willing to pay. Eyeglass insurance, for the most part, is a scam. I work in a family owned chain of 5 stores that have been in business over 35 years. We don't do exams, we don't sell contacts and we don't accept insurance. We don't have high priced designer frames but carry the best lenses available. We will put lenses into your designer frame. All frames are $24 dollars and some of these I've seen selling for $120 or more elsewhere. Not junk frames. They look and adjust like your Tom Ford stuff. Frames and single vision plastic lenses are $29, add $10-$20 for high power. Flat top 28 bifocals are $49. Progressive digital lenses by Zeiss are $179, $200 with anti glare coating. Turn around is 1-2 weeks. We are busy when the economy is good, we are especially busy when it is bad. Simple formula. Low prices, great quality and good service.

Some will question the quality part regarding the frames. I've worked in ultra high end stores and budget stores. I can tell you that, for the majority of frames, the material used in high end and low to mid priced frames, are the same. The finish will vary depending on how long it was in a tumbling machine.(There's a lot more to this but due to time constraints...) To me the quality is also in the hinges and the metal core in the temple. We're seeing frames without any or very little metal all the way through the length of the temple. I've sold gold filled Cartier frames worth $1200-$3000 and the screws came loose just as fast as a $24 frame. I once waited on a celebrity and his wife. They each got 2 pair. Each got a Cartier and a lesser brand. Total was over $4000. They can afford that quality.(meaning name brand and materials used) But I can tell you I've sold 4 pair of progressive lenses with coatings and frames to many people in one sitting and they are more than pleased with paying $800.

The higher priced optometrists prices are partly due to the fact that they need to take insurance to survive. The insurance companies don't make up the difference of that discounted insurance price. So, they will charge more for coatings and other extras. They have to make it up somewhere. But you know what? If it's too high....go some place else...just not online.

I would bet there are places in your AREA that have better prices, but people want it next door, they don't want to go out of there way. We have people come from all over North America. Honest. From Canada and from the east and the west coast. They are visiting family or are 4 month snowbirds but they get their eyewear from us. Those people send in others who are initially hesitant to come in because we must be...."junk, schlock optical, I couldn't go in such a place". When they do come in and see the frames are pretty much what everyone else has without the logo and the total price is so low...."that includes frames? and coatings?" Yes, that's the price. Well, they start telling people. People come from all over the city, 40-60 minute ride times. It must be worth it for them.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just trying to convey that glasses purchased online isn't the best way to go. There are much better options but you may be inconvenienced, as are so many things in this life.

To the moon!!