1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Marine Magum 12 Ga pump

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Joseph, May 26, 2012.

1. Joseph

Joseph Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

slacker
    I have a stainless steel folding stock Remington 870 Marine Magnum 12 ga, but do not like the pistol grip pump. I stopped by a gun shop yesterday to see if one of the gunsmiths would know how to change the pistol grip to a regular pump handle. Neither of the gentlemen had any experience with it. was unable to find anything helpful on line.

anyone have an idea how this is accomplished ?

Thanks
    Joseph

2. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

There are two small holes in the butt pad of the stock. Guide a Phillips head screwdriver into the holes and remove the butt pad. Using a long flathead screwdriver remove the screw in the center of the stock. To add new stock simply reverse. It is fairly easy to take apart and modify and the 870 (along with the Mossberg 500) has a dizzying array of aftermarket parts. That is why I recommend them all the time to my firearm safety class students.

REO 54 and Joseph like this.
  3. oldgaranddad

I forgot to mention that if you have trouble with the large screw that hold the stock to the receiver coming out you may need to put a few drops of Breakfree CLP (or any other good lubricating oil) or a spray of WD-40 to lubricate the screw threads. You may need to let it sit for a while for the stuff to penetrate the threads. That screw being a Pain in the rectal orifice is common but not a showstopper.

4. Joseph

slacker

OGD - not understanding ...

It's not the stock (butt?) that I want to replace - unless you're telling me I have to remove the stock first to get to the slide pump handle. Should I continue to pull the folding stock and grip off the back of the gun??

100_0277.jpg

thanks,
    Joseph

5. Maximus

Maximus Silver Member Silver Miner

You can see the forearm nut in front of the forearm in the picture. There is a tool/ wrench that fits in the small notches. Forearm wrench ? I made one out of 1 1/8 brass pipe. You do have to remove the magazine cape and the barrel to get to said forearm nut.

6. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Mike likes this.
  7. oldgaranddad

My mistake. I thought you meant the "stock" instead of the pump action "slide".

SilverCity sent you in the correct direction.

8. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

If you fire it in the folded configuration, I think the slide grip would be useful in preventing muzzle flip. Personally, I would remove all the existing "tacticool" furniture and replace it with conventional non-pistol-grip furniture.

9. Joseph

slacker
  10. electric-amish

electric-amish Seeker Seeker

Good Job

I like to see people customize guns to their needs.

E-A

Joseph likes this.
  11. Mike

Mike Silver Member Silver Miner

Hi, that's a usefull YouTube. I recently replaced the forend with a SureFire light.www.surefire.com/illumination/weaponlights/shotgun-forend/remington870.html This entailed removing the forend and tube assembly and nut. The 870 was over 30 years old and try as I might (even with the Brownell's tool) www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=968/Product/REMINGTON-MOSSBERG-FOREND-WRENCH I couldn't get it off. I got a new assembly and nut and kept the original forend intact. I also changed out the safety ,follower and added a magazine extension. All in all I'm happy with the results but took a $200 shotgun and turned it into a $700 shotgun.;) As for the two "gunsmiths" , the 870 is basic;they are not real "gunsmith".:thumpdown: Regards, Mike

12. Joseph

slacker
    Yes, I watched the vid SC provided - never having done anything like this before, it took me less than 10 minutes to have a well functioning shotgun again. No, those two at the armory are not gunsmiths. They're gun salesmen :cheerful: