1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Silver guy

Discussion in 'Hello! New Member Incoming' started by FthePolice, Jan 21, 2016.

1. FthePolice

FthePolice Seeker

Hi all, I just started investing in Silver and I found this site. Looking forward to learning more about it. Two questions that I have.

1) NTR 10oz Silver bars: Are these still good to buy? Elemetal bought NTR last year and wanted to know if that would effect my selling ability.

2) What does it cost to make an ounce of Silver. I googled it and it said $6.69 an ounce back in 2013. does that sound right?

2. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Welcome to GIM! This is a great time to build your stack. :2 thumbs up:
    I don't have good answers to your questions :don't know:, so I will answer different questions instead.

1) You might want to consider 10 ounce or smaller as alternatives to 100 ounce bars. I have no doubt that 100 ounce bars you would buy from a quality dealer will be OK, but would you be as confident if you were buying from a stranger? That is the question a future buyer would have when you want to sell the bars. Do a web search for 100 oz silver fakes, and you will find millions of reasons that buyers would be concerned about 100 oz bars. Smaller bars and coins are more difficult to fake, and are easier to sell when the time comes.

2) Part of the problem with finding the cost per ounce to mine silver is that approximately 70% of mined silver is byproduct from base metal mining. The base metal miners treat that byproduct silver as a cost free benefit in their mining process, and they dump the byproduct on the market at any price they can get. Primary silver miners like PAAS may say what their cost per ounce is to produce, but the market will see a much lower cost per ounce by factoring in the "free" byproduct silver. My view is the current economic slowdown will result in less base metal mining, which will then produce less byproduct silver. That reduction in the supply of silver will then trigger the next bull market in silver and gold. You can read more about that viewpoint in the link below.

When Will the Price of Silver Explode?

FthePolice likes this.
  3. FthePolice

FthePolice Seeker

Great Article. I know the mining companies stocks are in the tank so that probably means silver may take awhile to make solid gains. That's an interesting relationship that silver has to copper. Thanks for the welcome Weatherman.

Weatherman likes this.