1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Round Stacking - GVMT Mint or Generics? Faves & Ways to beat Shipping.

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by AGRO, Feb 25, 2017.

1. AGRO

AGRO Seeker Seeker

Graphic Arts
    Hey All!
    Been a while! But I am back and beginning to stack again. I miss the old days of buying $7 ozt silver and gold was I think $700, then the frantic run up to almost 2k and 50, then the crash and now it seems we are just in the doldrums. Price doesn't have much action worth betting on unless you have a fat trading account or 1000's to lay down on weight silver then resell it piecemeal on feebay and wherever else.

Any way. I have the same problem I had when I started this game, shit, I'm about 10 years older than when I made my first post on GiM I. A little wiser. ha.

I was never that much a fan of rounds but, they don't make GVMT. minted bars, YET, so, I like when and if I have to sell my ASEs I can get that extra buck back over the generic Buffalo Nickel round.
    But, All and all it's a BUCK - and it damn well pisses me off when If and when I have to sell a full weight Brittania for generic prices to some dumb ass at a jewelry store that has coins.

I suppose it depends on your stacking purpose, but if in the near, say a year, future, you may need to cash out some, do you want to have spent 3.95 over spot for a GVMT minted coin which you will not even get more than a generic price for? Hell no. So. Here we are, do you buy what you like, and well if you have the time to sell online you will get more for if the price is up? Or just stack the sh!t outta those Buffalo Nickel 1 ozt rounds for the near future. Well. It's a hulluva lot easier to get rid of 50 rounds that are all the same then selling 50 collected rounds from each nations mint where your likely gonna lose.

In any case. What do you guys currently stack for rounds? ASEs? Brits? Mapes? Generics? (and I like those Buffalo Nickel rounds.

Which brings me to the next point on beating shipping. I had some gift cards to Amzon (they need none of my promotion) And yup go figure, they sell silver too. Albeit not a very great selection. But I got a 2016 Brit from them, some weird white stuff on the reeds I have heard of with Mapes, otherwise Beautiful coin. Now they are full weight as well.

Got another gift card and went shopping, I mean what do I want for $XX.00 bucks? I want silver.
    Bottom line. Free silver too. So. Being that Amzon prime will offer free shipping or at least a ground free options I believe on purchases over a certain amount, I was able to squeeze that last card into a buncha Buffalo Nickel rounds - NO shipping, and they a bit above spot. BUT SO WHAT!
    They are shipping FREE. Will I get the extra buck at the coin shop? NO. Do I really care? NO.

So I did a little comparison shopping and went to APMX - Before I even had the damn rounds on a card I was already into the 50's for two damn Brits! Now if I used the card, that suck you in price of "from 1.99 over spot" yeah if I am buying a 100 of the things. The hell am I gonna do with 100 Brits anyway? Explain to the guy on feebay.
    "No you don't understand, these are minted by the XX GVMT in the UK and are blah, blah blah,
    It all weighs the same troy oz.

Enough ranting. I got my two gift card Buffalo Nickel Rounds on the way for UNDER 50 bucks.
    Yes, Amzon Silver is overpriced, there was even a guy on there just saying I bought a tube of X and I am reselling them. Tack on 5 $ per round for under 100 purchase @ PMEX my rounds just went to 27 something...

OK, so what are you guys stacking round wise? Why buy unless it's a saver, any GVMT rounds?
    Sorry, I haven't posted in a loooong, long, long, time. Just chime in with any thought negative or positive when you get a chance.
    Thanks,
    AGRO

Hystckndle likes this.
  2. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Agro,
    Lonnnng time no see.
    Missed you ! :)
    U.S. Silver Eagles and Buffalos.
    Thats it for silver for me.
    Trimmed back a lot.
    Out and about already today.
    Talk a little later.
    Haystack

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Hey Agro,

We did the current math on it bit ago, and it penciled out that if you paid more than about $2.25 or so premium for Eagles, the rest you would not get back.

Shipping does not matter unless buying real small lot and exploding your price per up. It seems like that is what you are speaking to.

If you want to do real small lot, online shipping is not economic. In that case you would want to find a local shop somewhere near and just buy the 1,2, 5 or ? there.

There are constant specials on fleabay by dealers and those have free shipping on them.

JMB has free shipping on orders:
    http://www.jmbullion.com/on-sale/

4. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver maple leafs and silver eagles by the unopened tube, pcgs pr or ms 69 1 ounce gold eagles ordered direct from apmex or other reputable place.

Peace dollars, franklin or walker halves, mercy dimes, by the roll. All from the same mint and same year and BU.

I like my shiny coins to be as virgin as possible. I don't care if I'm paying more for it. The eye candy makes me happy.

I have no intention on selling.

gringott likes this.
  5. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I still buy the old art bars when I find them at good prices, do most of my buying at shows unless I get 10% ebay bucks, I'll buy libertads, maples, brits if its a year with low mintages, there are still dealers that sell them as generics pretty much. Funtopics.com show in Jan I got over 50 ounces at melt of the old bars and some engelhards slightly over. Its a numbers game though, more shows you go to the better your score, only problem is many dealers now know the old bars go for high bucks to collectors and want more for them, but there still are some selling as silver.

6. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

10 oz bars.
    Weight is all that matters when dealing with white copper and 10 oz bars are thin enough it would be difficult and expensive to fake them.

7. AGRO

AGRO Seeker Seeker

Graphic Arts
    Hey Brother! Yeah - long time, thanks for the warm welcome!

I just got my first Buffalo rounds in the mail and I love them. Nice proof like background. The back is a bit disappointing as it has a sort of indented circle in the Buffalo that says Mint Mark SI - I guess there are a bunch of companies minting Buff nickel AG rounds.

All and all I like em. AND they came in airtites! What!

Also - after comparing them to the new 2016 Brittania - they make the Brit look almost fake.... I am a little suspicious. It's so damn shiny it's weird. I have never seen a coin look like this before. Does anyone know what I mean with the Brits?

In any case I think I will stick to the same ASEs and Buff nickel rounds. I have a bunch of real buff nickels in a book that you are supposed to fill in the dates.
    It used to have all the silver Buff nicks. But alas they were sold YEARS ago.

Hystckndle likes this.
  8. AGRO

AGRO Seeker Seeker

Graphic Arts
    Thanks, Scorp! That's really interesting an a nice piece of knowledge.

Yeah I agree. I did actually find a jeweler/coin shop that popped up only ONE town over from me.
    So I'll stick to that for small purchases. Cause the shipping really is nuts. 10 bucks! So if you want two rounds and use a CC your paying like 7.50 over spot! Yikes.

9. AGRO

AGRO Seeker Seeker

Graphic Arts
    Oh man, I made a trade a while back with my last two Merc dimes. I had saved them because I was sure they would grade Mid to high MS. There were no scratches - not even a nick, and they both still had nice mint luster.
    That is one that I regret to this day.

I love my peace dollars and morgans, but unless I am at a shop and the guy is going to give me a decent price I just can't bring myself to buy them instead of the 4 9ines fine when online.

Speaking of that coin shop I just mentioned I did score a 1988 Silver Eagle off him for 2o. It has some mild toning and is in overall good condition. Might fetch 30 on feebay.

Mujahideen likes this.
  10. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Provident has a military "best price" if you are a veteran. This means you get the "as low as" price on whatever amount you buy.
    Shipping is free with $99 or more.

11. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

If I can buy a full tube of silver, I go with the Eagles or the Maple Leafs. If I am buying a few at a time at the local dealer, I go for the lower premium generics. First choice is a Buffalo if they have it, or just a generic if they don't.

I will also go with the 90%; it depends on the premium. Sometimes the one ounce .999 is a better deal, sometimes the 90% is a better deal. I may walk out with a handful of generic rounds, or I may walk out with a roll of 90% dimes or quarters. Depends on the inventory, depends on the premium.

I am happy with any of the above. Always happy to add a few Buffalo to the herd, always happy to add another roll of 90% dimes. It is all part of the larger stack...

12. farscott

farscott Silver Member Silver Miner

My approach is to purchase "blems" and "scruffy" coins from "name" governments, to dollar-cost average, and to buy just enough to get free shipping. For example, scruffy ATB for $100.10 each with silver at $17.50. That equates to $20.02 per ozt. A bit higher in premiums than no-name metal, but there is some value for "brand recognition" when it comes time to sell. In my limited sales experience, I have received above spot for US and Canadian government coins.

13. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Silver bars. Don’t forget the ‘collector’ value of something in the future. One Area is silver art bars – southfork is clued onto this. Three, four years ago I would pass on those ugly, odd sized bars (3.21 oz, 7.55 oz, etc) ‘cause they just looked fugly. You know, those bars that looked like someone hand poured then, then stamped 'em with weight and a logo.

Now… damn those same fugly bars are going on e-bait for hundreds of dollars. Boy, I kick my butt for passing those up.

BF

Silver Art likes this.
  14. Bottom Feeder

What I'm talkin' about are these type of bars that you have probably passed up yourself:

A Silver Collection.jpg

An odd weight bar very similar to oblong, finger shaped one below the two labeled 5 TO sold on E-bait for $385.00. It weighed about 3-4 toz.

If you see one of these in the wild for spot or so, grab it. Make it a ten-bagger!

BF

Silver Art likes this.
  15. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As a seller of '70's silver art bars (and other "collectible silver") on ebay, that is very true and I made a lot of FRN profit selling old rare '70's silver art bars on ebay. An addition to the old silver art bars and odd-ounce old poured bars (ex: Engerhard 2-oz silver poured bar), certain ATB bullion and ATB "P" pucks also sell very well on ebay and people can make money on those if one buys it at the right price and sell it at the right price on ebay. It also takes some patience to wait for the right "buyer" who is looking for one to add to their collection.

For gold, the Pandas (sealed and unsealed and raw and slabbed) and Isle of Man 1/25th oz gold coins can sell well on ebay if they can be purchased at very close to melt which is hard to do since LCS and coin shows have those at high premiums above melt.

16. Bottom Feeder

Oh yeah, that 2 toz Engelhard is very pricey alright, in the altitudes of $4-5,000 for the last on I saw sold. I'm glad to see you back also, Art, I read you quite a bit on the former GIM. Actually you got me started looking for an Archie Kidd book. And, speaking of pricey, wows. I have a few of those old Engelhards but not a two ouncer.

BF

Silver Art likes this.
  17. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Thank you Bottom Feeder.

I never had any old Engelhard pour but I have seen some at coin shows and certain coin shops during my travels. I came close to buying an old Engelhard poured bar but they were asking "retail" prices for them and I had to pass on them. I think that the 2-oz, 3-oz, 5-oz and 7-oz old poured Engelhard silver bars sell for the highest premiums on ebay based on what I have seen.

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  18. Unsustainable

Unsustainable Seeker

I've been very lucky and, at my request, my LCS started selling Royal Canadian Mint 10 oz silver bars. I can currently walk in and purchase $178.50 ea with no shipping...a price that beats most what I've seen cursory quick online shopping as well as on The Bay...it's at least very fair. Beautiful stuff...my dream silver upgrade stacker from SAE and Maples.