1. Markets swoon moving into Monday open, Metals catch a nice bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold is up 8.8 to 1257, while Silver is up 18 to 1793. Crude is falling 40 to 4757. The USD is down 50 to 9893.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Sectional or Configurabile Sectional Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by gringott, Oct 3, 2015.

1. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    We have a European sectional couch, basically in a U shape, that has the middle section that "folds out" to the same level as the surrounding seating, making a square area that you can sleep on or a big "pit" for the grandchildren to play on. The problem is that it is covered in "bonded leather" that is coming apart, and the padding is going south. We have been looking for a while for something, I had eyeballed a pit type grouping from Basset for a couple of years, but two problems - it's expensive as hell, and after viewing one in person [showroom version was extremely high quality] I did a web search for consumer complaints about Basset. All their furniture is "custom made" meaning you don't get what you see. I won't get into details, but after reading several hundred reports of bait and switch and a complete lack of customer service starting the moment your check clears, I would not even consider purchasing from them, unless I could get the showroom sample.

What I would like is that you, actual humans, who have recent experience buying a sectional, could give recommendations as to a reasonably priced furniture maker that produces sectional couches that actually fit into a "normal" size room. We are looking for an L shape, hopefully with ottomans that can be pushed into the center section to form a "pit" or a sleeper something like what we have now. We are looking for cloth not bonded leather or leather etc.

If this isn't the right place to post this, mods, please feel free to move it where it should be. Thanks to everyone.

2. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

If you like what you have, what about getting it re-upholstered?

Usury likes this.
  3. gringott

N/A
    We thought about it. But I suspect it would be more expensive than getting a new one, if we could find one we like.

4. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    first off ......reasonably priced and good furniture is a oxymoron......(we have had local amish etc build stuff for us sometimes)(had good luck with Bernhardt brand furniture but its pricy)

if the frame is good and you like the configuration as Joe said have it reupholstered

watch on cloths and pading etc to be aware of allergy issues.....(we bought a pair of couches a while back that something in the padding is allergetic to some people)

for grand kids and grand pups etc....we had custom quilted fitted covers for our couches etc ....easy to take off n toss in the washer etc. we liked them so much we keep them on all the time cept when good company comes :)

also its not hard to get ottomans made that will fit in a sectional

also .....seems most all furniture is "made to order" these days if its decent at all and takes X number of weeks to get

gringott likes this.
  5. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Last time I went sectional shopping, I ended up getting my old one reupholstered. It was much cheaper than buying similar quality new. Of course we did cloth not leather.

gringott likes this.
  6. gringott

N/A
    Maybe I'll look into it. If it's anything like auto upholstery, I'm not too optimistic. I ended up doing my car myself. Nobody seems to want to do it any more.