1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gold and Silver finish the week down
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/29/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- DOWN 20.80 Silver $17.19-- down 61 Oil $49.33-- down 0.29 USD $98.89 -- down 0.99

Selling silver on ebay

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell Area' started by Someone_else, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well, I got roped in to selling on ebay and using paypal. Have fifty transactions so far, mostly low dollar sales, but some are $20 to $90. My wife wants me to sell anything on ebay to get our reputation up...

I could sell some silver. I don't feel like selling ordinary rounds because they probably won't get past spot, and I think I would come out worse after the fees. But I have some plastic sheets of the Johnson Mathey "Bill of Rights" rounds (10 x 1 ounce) and maybe I could get some interesting action on them. The few sellers I looked up seemed pretty damn proud of a sheet of 10 rounds.

My only experience selling silver on ebay was in 1999, two 100 ounce bars and a box of 90% No problem, but one guy buying a bar sent me a check, where I specifically stated it MUST be a money order. Dick.

So I am asking for advice from those experienced with silver and ebay. First, is a good idea or dumb? How should I send the rounds with minimum chance of theft or fraud by the buyer? Any other advice?

Thanks!

2. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Selling bullion on eBay is a tough go. The average 'little guy' will see 10-15% in eBay/paypal seller fees. Bullion is a tight market. Tough to get the numbers to add up. 2c

glockngold, Someone_else and D-FENZ like this.
  3. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

A "good reputation" for selling soap, won't be enhanced by selling other categories.

Someone_else likes this.
  4. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Don't sell plain bullion, look for some old art bars , your rights rounds and start the auctions at 25 bucks and up. Any item over 100 I pay for signature confirmation and make sure you get tracking on every sale. Cost a tad over 2.50 now for shipping with DC

Someone_else likes this.
  5. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

I've sold a few pieces (I know shock as I usually don't sell anything)
    Lets just say I fell into a few pieces at a good price (spot or less) and flipped them to someone that collects and would pay a premium.
    I listed the items as a BIN or Best Offer (that keeps most shady bidders away and IMO the best way to go about selling Bullion on the bay)

Do Give us a heads up on your auctions he so we can get you closer to your goal...I too like cheap silver. :beer:

Someone_else likes this.