1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Metals finish week on a up note.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Selling silver on ebay

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell Area' started by Someone_else, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well, I got roped in to selling on ebay and using paypal. Have fifty transactions so far, mostly low dollar sales, but some are $20 to $90. My wife wants me to sell anything on ebay to get our reputation up...

I could sell some silver. I don't feel like selling ordinary rounds because they probably won't get past spot, and I think I would come out worse after the fees. But I have some plastic sheets of the Johnson Mathey "Bill of Rights" rounds (10 x 1 ounce) and maybe I could get some interesting action on them. The few sellers I looked up seemed pretty damn proud of a sheet of 10 rounds.

My only experience selling silver on ebay was in 1999, two 100 ounce bars and a box of 90% No problem, but one guy buying a bar sent me a check, where I specifically stated it MUST be a money order. Dick.

So I am asking for advice from those experienced with silver and ebay. First, is a good idea or dumb? How should I send the rounds with minimum chance of theft or fraud by the buyer? Any other advice?

Thanks!

2. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Selling bullion on eBay is a tough go. The average 'little guy' will see 10-15% in eBay/paypal seller fees. Bullion is a tight market. Tough to get the numbers to add up. 2c

glockngold, Someone_else and D-FENZ like this.
  3. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

A "good reputation" for selling soap, won't be enhanced by selling other categories.

Someone_else likes this.
  4. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Don't sell plain bullion, look for some old art bars , your rights rounds and start the auctions at 25 bucks and up. Any item over 100 I pay for signature confirmation and make sure you get tracking on every sale. Cost a tad over 2.50 now for shipping with DC

Someone_else likes this.
  5. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

I've sold a few pieces (I know shock as I usually don't sell anything)
    Lets just say I fell into a few pieces at a good price (spot or less) and flipped them to someone that collects and would pay a premium.
    I listed the items as a BIN or Best Offer (that keeps most shady bidders away and IMO the best way to go about selling Bullion on the bay)

Do Give us a heads up on your auctions he so we can get you closer to your goal...I too like cheap silver. :beer:

Someone_else likes this.