1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your RECIPES Here

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by newmisty, Jan 10, 2012.

1. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Lately I have been trying to cut my food bills down a bit. I try to balance eating out with eating in, eating well with eating convenient and I am one who needs variety.

Please feel free to share your recipes here for food you enjoy.

I'll start. Here are a few different and unrelated recipes that I have been using lately.

1. BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

(2 dozen small muffins 1 dozen big boys)(Sugar content has been reduced from standard recipes)

3 eggs
    1 cup milk (or soy milk)
    1 cup salad oil (can also substitute apple sauce. Will change texture a bit)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1.5 cups whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup almond flour
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup ground flax seed
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    3/4 cup frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 375-400 degrees. Grease muffin cups. (different tins will result in different cooking times and textures.)
    Beat eggs; stir in milk and oil. Mix remaining ingredients together then add blueberries to dry mix. combine ingredients and stir. Do not over mix- batter should be lumpy.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.
    Grease Muffin Tins

2. Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
    1 cup WW flour
    1 ts Baking soda
    1/2 ts Salt
    2 Sticks Butter; softened
    1/2 cup Granulated sugar
    1/2 cup Packed light brown sugar
    1 ts Vanilla extract
    2 Eggs
    8 oz Dark Chocolate Chips
    1/4-1/2 cup Sunflower seeds
    3/4-1 cup Chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 375. Stir together dry ingredients. In large bowl or mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in chocolate chips SF seeds and nuts, if desired. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto parchment paper on cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 25 small cookies or 15 large.

3. Egg Breakfast Burrito

1 large flour tortilla
    2 eggs
    3 tbs shredded cheese
    4-5 tbs Sweet Chili Sauce
    1 ts Sriracha Chili Sauce
    Cucumber slices(optional)
    Hellmans Mayo to taste

Break eggs into hot pan, stirring frequently.
    Push eggs to side, add sweet chili sauce and sriracha
    Slightly caramelize sauce, scramble in with eggs
    Add cucumber slices at this time
    Remove from heat add cheese and cover

Put mayo on tortilla and add egg mix

Roll up and tuck in both ends of tortilla
    Add rolled burrito to separate heated pan on medium high heat
    Brown tortilla over entire surface

Enjoy!

4. Killer BB-Q Sauce This one I haven't personally tried

2 c Ketchup 3 cans tomato sauce
    1/2 c Balsamic vinegar
    1/3 c Cider vinegar
    1/2 c Brown sugar
    1/3 c lemon juice (3 lemons)
    1 T Garlic (3 cloves)
    1 T Pepper
    1 ts Salt
    1 T Cayenne pepper
    1 ts Hot red chili
    1 ts Paprica
    2-3 ts Tabasco sauce
    1 ts Cumin
    1 T Mustard
    1 T Worchester sauce

Combine all in double boiler. 45-70 minutes for thick sauce *Do not boil

5. Quick and dirty Shepard's Pie

Make mashed potatoes with 8-10 small to medium potatoes.
    Fry up 16 ounces of hot sausage (I use JC potters. Cheap and no MSG)
    Cook 1 bag frozen peas in boiling water.

Layer potatoes, sausage and peas in container and stick in fridge. Heat and enjoy.

There is my first contribution. What do you have to share?

2. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hey Newmisty,
    I'll be right over for a snack. sounds like your place is the place to be!

But seriously folks..
    I can cook & use more than a single utensil if I have to, but I am a fan of what I call bachelor cooking.

Mock Scallop Potatoes.
    Put 2 scrubbed sliced potatoes (from the bunker of course) in a saucepan with some water & salt & boil till just barely soft.
    Dump out the water.
    Shake some onion powder, pepper, & a little garlic powder on top.
    Melt 2 tabs of butter on top. (oil in a pinch)
    Shake some parm cheese on top.
    Let melt a little & eat out of the pan.
    Only a pan fork & knife to clean up.

Takes about 15 minutes & tastes as good as my Wife's that takes an hour... oops.. Hi honey :biggrin:

Merlin and newmisty like this.
  3. newmisty

A few months ago my mother made a few different granola bars for my birthday. They were EXCELLENT!

She got the recipes from Alton Brown and altered them slightly. Man were they good!

Here is her email to me. We have yet to try and replicate them so if you do, please share your results!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-bars-recipe2/index.html

is the link to the recipe. There is also a video of him doing them, if you click on the video link above the stars at the top of the recipe. Since I already knew that I wanted to make a few different flavors, I started out toasting all of the oats and wheat germ together without the almonds and sunflower seeds to make 3 batches. (I didn't have enough sunflower seeds, so didn't use them at all). Then I made enough of the sticky syrup for 3 batches too. Then I toasted separately: chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds and coconut. I also used salted butter and added just a tiny bit more salt, not the entire amount that he suggested.

So, there were 3 flavor combos:

toasted coconut and choc chip
    peanut butter (extra chunky) and toasted pumpkin seed
    chopped toasted almonds and chopped apricots.

What you got were 3 batches worth. I was able to bake all 3 together in one pan (something like a 11x20" sheet pan). I mixed each batch up separately and pushed down into a pan. I found that spraying my hands with Pam really didn't work very well, but spraying a piece of wax paper did, so I used that instead and pressed it into 1/3 of the pan, you need to press them down pretty hard to make them compact. I took 2 dinner knives and laid them across the pan, blade to blade to act as a separator between the next batch, which worked really well, but you don't need to do that for yourselves, it won't matter if a little from one gets into the next batch for yourselves.

FYI, if you do the choc chip, you need to mix the syrup in with the oats and let it cool a bit (but not too much), or it will melt your choc chips before they get mixed up. Also, I only used a few heaping tablespoons of peanut butter, since I wasn't sure how it would affect the consistency of the bars.

4. Sampson

Sampson Digging for nuggets of knowledge Silver Miner

Mining
    Mmmmmmmm, those muffins sound good.

I also like to keep my food costs down to a few dollars a day but i like to eat lots of good food so it is a balance.

Right now i am actually eating a can of beans with a couple scoops of pulled pork which is surprisingly tasty for only a couple of bucks. I tend to like to make one or two massive meals which can be used in different ways over the course of a few days and this week it was the biggest cheapest pork roast i could find. I just barely fit in the slow cooker which is a great tool to turn tough cheap meat into soft tasty meat.

This one was a pork roast about 7 or 8 lbs. Thee onions diced and a whole bulb of garlic cut up fine. About a quarter cup of soy sauce and a few tablespoons of maple syrup. Lots of fresh black pepper and the juice of one lime. After cooking for about 8 hours in the slow cooker i used to big forks to pull it all apart into little shredded pieces and poured in about a quarter bottle of bbq sauce and two finely chopped peppers, red and orange. Then let cool and refridgerate overnight. In the morning all the excess fat is cooled on top and can be pulled right off and saved for other cooking or in this case used to top my dogs food for a couple days. Drain as much of the extra juice and boil down in another pot until thick then add back to the meat and stir it all up and heat it for another 6 to 8 hours in the slow cooker again. (not really needed but it doesn't hurt)

First meal with it was just the pork and some veggies. Then lunch was pulled pork sandwiches with cheese on homemade brown bread. Next dinner was the pork on thinly sliced potatoes and veggies. Lunch was more pork sandwiches on homemade bread. Dinner tonight is a can of beans with two scoops of pork and there is still enough for lunch and dinner tomorrow. I think i will put it on rice for tomorrows dinner. Some people may think it sounds kinda monotonous but as long as you vary it with other additions it is a great way to stretch cheap meat into easy meals for a few days. (Can of course be substituted with cheap beef roasts too).

I just happen to have a shot of the roast in the slow cooker when i saw all the bighorn sheep out the window so i took a pic of both.

[​IMG]

5. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Dana Pullen's Chicken Feet and Rice

You can't get chicken feet at the supermarket these days so you got to go to a butcher store and beg for them (they're usually thrown away). Once you get them, rince them off, drop them into a pot of hot boiling water for five minutes, and then take them out and the outer skin will just roll right off. Make sure you get it all off because there's no telling where the chicken's been walkin'.

Now that the skin is cleaned off, take your cast-iron Dutch oven cover the bottom with oil, put in the feet and fry til golden brown. Then put a handful of chopped onions and one toe of garlic (flattened). Fry the onions until you can see through them, put in the desired amount of rice (depending on the number of people you're feeding), and cover with water. Salt, pepper, and bring to a boil. Put the lid on and cook the rice til fluffy and the chicken feet are tender.

The only way to eat a chicken foot is to gnaw on it. The round ball of the foot is the best part. They are a gristly kid of thing and can be used in soups, but when you fry them they're really good. Serve with potato salad, greens, and biscuits.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  6. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Chicken Marbella (mar-bey-ya) Spanish!

Serve with Cous Cous! Brilliant when you have guests, prep well ahead and just whack it in the oven 50 mins ahead. Cous cous takes 5 mins!

chicken-marbella-b.jpg

PS> You can overload on the herbs and back off on the sugar and it works better IMO. It's a fairly flexible recipe, thigh fillets work well if you don't want overly rustic!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    searcher, newmisty and Goldhedge like this.
  7. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

this is for 6 gallon wash

4" of sweet feed in the bottom of the bucket
    7 pounds of white sugar
    5 packets of bakers yeast or 8 tablespoons

heat 2 gallon of water to good hard boil then pour the water in the sweet feed add your sugar and stir for about 15min. the let stand for 90min. fill to 6 gallons with cool water after waiting 90min., your temp should be around 90F sprinkle your yeast in and stir gently. cover with lid and add your airlock. Mine is normally bubling away in about 4-6 hours. will run pretty good for about 2 days then will slow to a very slow rate. leave it for 5 days or untill you see it trying to clear sometimes it is 6 days. after that set it a cool place for about 24hours then rack it off and distill it. I normally get about 4 qaurts of low wines. sometimes my quart in the middle taste good enough I keep it aside and drink it just as it is.

after I run this through a pot still I use about half of my backset while it is still hot I put 7 pounds of sugar in the hot backset and convert my sugar. Let that cool to about 90F pour this back into your fermentor on your grain and yeast that was left in your bucket. add enough water to make 6 gallons normally my yeast wake up and are bubling away in about 4-5hours.

It seems very easy to me. I have really had good success with it. you can normally get your sweet feed at any farm supply store 50lbs for 7 bucks. It will last a long time

WhyKnow, Merlin and glockngold like this.
  8. Godswill

Godswill Seeker Seeker

Chicken tacos

I am a very picky eater and have never liked chicken tacos until I tried this very simple crock pot recipe.

2-4 chicken breasts or boneless thighs. (Can also use pork, I haven't tried yet)
    8 oz. Jar Salsa or picante sauce. (I use medium heat)
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 cup water
    flour or corn tortillas

Combine and cook for 4 hrs + then pull apart and serve on flour or corn tortillas with lettuce and whatever topping you like. Add a dash of taco sauce. This will be your favorite taco recipe!

Set it up in the morning before work, it will be more than ready when you get home, just heat the tortillas.

newmisty likes this.
  9. AgBar

AgBar Commodore Gold Chaser

Physicist
    I found this cookie recipe a few years ago and it quickly became my favorite. Yes it uses oats, no it tastes nothing like an oatmeal cookie. This recipe makes a lot of cookies, so you might want to half it.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

* 1 cup butter
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 1 cup packed brown sugar
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    * 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Non-Bachelor directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

2. Cream butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla until very smooth and fluffy.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a food processor, blend oatmeal until fine. Add to flour mixture.

4. Stir butter mixture into flour/oatmeal mixture. Blend well.

5. Add chocolate chips. Stir until blended. Roll into golf balls size and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Bachelor directions:

Oven to 350 F.

In a food processor, blend the oats into a fine powder.

melt the butter over very light heat (don't crack it, just get it liquid)

Put all the ingredients -- except the chips -- into a bowl. Mix the hell out of it.

Add the chips (the batter is fairly stiff, you might want to kneed them in by hand)

Golf-ball sized lumps onto the cookie tray.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. You don't want to over-bake these; they'll be underdone when you take them out of the oven, but will continue to cook as they cool.

Let stand for about 10 to 15 minutes while you fight all sorts of terrible temptation to eat them.

newmisty and Zed like this.
  10. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    High energy side dish.

Honey Garlic Carrots.

Great if you are sick or just low in winter!

Quantity of all ingredients is flexible to taste! It is really hard to mess this up!

Ingredients

1. Carrots
    2. Garlic
    3. Olive Oil (cold pressed extra virgin is my preference but whatever!)
    4. Butter (I use salted)
    5. Honey

If you have the knife skills or a mandolin then julienne the carrots for preference, if not, slice thinly at 45[SUP]o[/SUP]. Throw around 50-60g of butter in a fry pan, that would do a couple of large carrots, add a small slug of oil to stop the butter going nutty, add the carrots and garlic (at least a clove!). Sauté over a lowish heat for a couple of minutes, coating the carrots with butter and garlic. Add honey until you have enough juice slopping around the place. Keep cooking until al dente, yeah I know its not pasta! Serve and pour remaining juice over! Done in about 5 mins.

About 10 mins after eating you will feel the charge it gives you! :biggrin: If not, then you cheaped out on the honey! :biggrin:

Great for sickies, good seduction food... makes sure you have the energy for hanky panky after dinner and don't just wanna go to sleep! :biggrin:

For comfort food I serve it with Peri Peri Chicken and mash potatoes - straight, green (with spinach whipped in) or orange (sweet potato and potato) and mebe French beans. The mash is good for soaking up the excess sauce from the carrots.

For a twist on it you can use whole fresh Dutch carrots, just slit in two and leave some green on the top (stop-pis-tic-kated!) and/or add ginger to taste!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    WhyKnow, newmisty and Merlin like this.
  11. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Meh...
    I call out for pizza. :redface:

DodgebyDave likes this.
  12. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

I have perfected microwave ramen. Add spam.

13. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I have always been partial to fava beans and a nice chianti. :s13:

14. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Chianti is good. Fava beans give me gas. :bear_unsure:

15. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Bacon! Just wrap it in bacon. Anything. :biggrin:

skychief, Emc2, Usury and 1 other person like this.
  16. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Let's take this foodfest a step further and do something entirely out of the food storage pantry.

Scalloped Potatoes (in one casserole dish)

3 Cups Dehydrated Potato Slices (yes, home dried work fine)
    2 3/4 Cups boiling water
    1 Tbsp Butter (Red Feather canned butter in my pantry :)
    1/2 Cup Nonfat Dry milk
    2 Tbsp Flour
    2 Tbsp Cornstarch
    1 tsp Onion Powder or 1 Tbsp Crushed Dried Onions
    1/8 tsp Black Pepper

Stir ingredients together in an ungreased casserole. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. For variety, add diced Spam or Canned Ham or Corned Beef. Or put grated cheese on top and call it "au gratin." This preparedness pantry recipe tastes as good as anything Betty Crocker ever put in a box.

newmisty likes this.
  17. Sampson

Mining
    One of my favorite quick meals when i don't have a big pot of something on the go is just a quick and simple stir-fry. Can use just about any type of meat you have on hand although cooking the meat varies depending on type. If using chicken then it goes in early to ensure it is cooked well but if using beef, venison, or buffalo you want to put it in towards the end so it doesn't get overdone and turn tough.

Heat a good skillet to medium-high heat. (I use a 10inch cast iron pan)
    Start about 2 cups of water to boil in another pot with a bit of salt and a little bit of butter too.

In the skillet add;
    About a tablespoon of butter till its melted and hot. (can use oil instead, or even non stick pan if that is your taste.)
    One large onion, chopped up a bit.
    Once onion is starting to get soft add other hard veggies like carrots, beans, celery, etc. also chopped small of course.
    If using chicken it would go in around now. Other meats later.

By this time the water is usually boiling so add 1 cup rice (brown or white) and stir once or twice till it is all boiling again, Turn heat way down and cover to simmer.

Once the hard veggies are starting to get soft i like to add peppers (red, yellow, or orange) sliced thin, maybe mushrooms, maybe greeens, and a couple cloves of garlic.
    This is also when the short cooked meats would go in, sliced into thin strips.
    Add a dash of sauce, maybe soy, worstershire, any oriental sauce, lime juice, or use your imagination with anything that will steam up a bit.
    Fresh cracked black pepper goes in now too.
    Throw a lid on it and let it all steam up for a couple minutes.

By the time the other stuff is cooked up the rice should be pretty much boiled off and ready to remove from heat. Some people say to not touch it but i like to give it a good stir now and let it stand for another minute or two off heat.

Get a big plate or two and lay the rice out on it then dump all the veggie and meat mix on top of that. Make sure to scrape out all the good sauce and eat it too. Pretty basic and can be adjusted lots of different ways for variety, all done in about 20-30 mins and fairly healthy to boot.

Kkernell and newmisty like this.
  18. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

hey up new,

great idea!

I stuck it and put the thread on top in Real Life so it could stay there for awhile.

Scorp

19. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Fava Beans! Turns out it is just a fancy a$$ed name for plain old broad beans! Here I was thinking I'd never had them!

Chianti is what my field workers drink!

Fava beans and Chianti.... LOL, if an Aussie wrote that script it would be Broad Beans and Plonk!

20. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    One day you will learn to cook ya old curmudgeon!!!!!

21. newmisty

This recipe is very dear to my heart. It is my great grandmother's recipe from when she ran a boarding house in NY state. She farmed, butchered, cooked, cleaned, raised kids, baked breads and pie, made her own pillows with the chicken feathers etc. Hard core Great granny passed her resourcefulness onto my mom who in turn passed it onto me.
    I started to make this coffee cake with my mom when I was just a little guy. I could then and sill now, eat an entire recipe in a day...yummy stuff. :)

Great Granny Hoff's
    SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
    Bake: 350*
    45-50 min

2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda

1 cup sour cream
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    1tsp vanilla

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs, beat well.
    Add dry ingredients & SC, Van, and beat well

Topping: (more or less per taste)
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

Forgot to mention to pour half the batter in the pan, then add a fair amount of the topping over top of the batter and then add the remaining batter. Now when cut open, there will be a marble type effect with the sugar mix inside (very important :) )
    link: Smacznego

Goldhedge and Zed like this.
  22. WhyKnow

WhyKnow Thnk Tank Gold Chaser

In college I was super fast with baking powder biscuits. I stopped rolling them out and cutting them, just dropped them on the pan. In an hour, I could ride my bike home cook a batch and eat with butter and jam or honey and ride back to class.

Straight off the can:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 cup shortening
    ~3/4 cup milk
    Mix the dry stuff, cut in the crisco to coarse-crumb appearance, add milk till the dough pulls away from bowl (slightly sticky).
    Flatten and slice into shape or drop blobs on a pan and flatten. Bake at 475* about 12 mins till golden brown on edges.
    They split better for butter if they are rolled out and folded, I hate them mealy.

Add sugar to dough to change flavor. Dump a can of peaches on them hot for cobbler-like meal, add ice cream.

I found and like this kid's link: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/109432-woods-meals?p=1063429&highlight=

newmisty likes this.
  23. Gray

Gray Silver Member Silver Miner

I dunno why you are asking for recipts, but ok

BuyingPhysicalGold.png

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  24. newmisty

Let's please do our best to keep fluff out of this thread. And I'm not referring to the marshmallow variety. :36_1_11:

25. dogman

dogman Seeker Seeker

Jack of all trades , master of some.
    For a no fuss meal, stuffed bell peppers!

Have never been a fan of the hamburger/rice that most do. Instead I use canned corned beef hash. Gut the pepper and stuff with the hash and bake at 350-400°F for about an hour, or use a crock pot slow cooker. Before leaving for the day stuff the peppers and then put them in the crock pot on low or high depending when you expect to come home.

Takes way less than 10 minuets and is finger licking good!

Edit: Wrap them in foil when bakeing, crockpot , it's your choice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    newmisty likes this.
  26. newmisty

I have some ground venison in the freezer and would like to hear any ideas on a great tasting preparation for it.

27. Sampson

Mining
    Mmmmmm, ground venison meatballs i would recommend.

My ground packs are usually about 2 lbs so adjust as necessary if you are using more or less.

Chop one medium onion and some garlic very, very fine and mix into meat with a couple eggs and a package of plain dry onion soup mix.
    Can add dry bread crumbs or crushed crackers for filler and to help bind it all together a bit.
    Form mixture into balls about 1.5 - 2 inch round.

Use a pan that is big enough to fit all the balls but not overly big so the juices don't have too much room to run away. (cast iron if you have it)
    Heat up a pan to med high heat with a bit of oil with a few shakes of oregeno and sage in it. Turn on oven to about 325.
    Drop in the meatballs and fry without turning too much to get a bit of an almost hard dark crust on the outside.
    After all sides are browned well put in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until fully cooked.
    Once cooked let it mellow for 5 or 10 minutes and roll them around in any juices while they cool so they get good and sticky coated on the outside.
    A little bit of salt and pepper on top before they cool too much so that it sticks.

I like to serve them with fried potatoes, or maybe one of the good scallop potato recipes above would go well together.
    Also goes good into any type of pasta or tomato sauce, but maybe cook them a little extra if going into sauce so they don't fall apart too easy.
    Venison is my favorite meatball meat since it cooks up firm and holds together well.

28. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

healthiest chili ever

large can v8

one pound lean beef

one can kidney beans drained

one can pinto beans drained

one can ro-tel

two tablespoons chili powder

teaspoon of garlic

and if you want some extra heat -- add cayenne pepper to taste

======================================

1. brown beef in pot (with onions if you like)

2. add all other ingredients into same pot, low simmer 1 hour

3. remove one cup of beans, mash into paste, stir back into chili

4. low simmer another 15 minutes

optional: bell peppers, corn added in with step 2

one pot, super healthy

and good for the uhh constitution :angel_smile:

29. newmisty

Thanks button disappeared. I have most of those ingreds on hand. I'm going to try that today with the spicy V8 that's been hanging out in the cabinet. :36_1_11:

30. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    If you use it too much it will! It is to stop "over thanking" just for the sake of rep. Wait a little and it comes back... it has a speed limit :biggrin:

31. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    WOW! With the chili powder we get that would blow your head off! and I do like HOT! I'm thinking you have either mild powder or an asbestos stomach! :biggrin:

32. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

mine must be mild - i just buy the stuff at megacorp grocery store

maybe start with 1 tablespoon and add more if needed? esepecially if starting with spicy v8 instead of the regular

warning - this chili recipe is rather soupy. which reduces calories per bowl..

now i want to make some - we just got a good cold front...and some chili and crackers or jalapeno cornbread sounds good :yes:

love the thread! i need to go to the grocery store so i can try some of these.

Zed likes this.
  33. newmisty

I'll have to post my mothers MEXICAN CORNBREAD.

Basically cornbread with cream corn, Jalepenos or Pepperoncini and cheese added. Y U M M Y !!!

I usually eat half the batch in a night. Will send her an email for it now.

EDIT: The chili is looking good so far! :p

Attached Files:

EO 11110 and Zed like this.
  34. newmisty

MEXICAN CORNBREAD

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-chefs-rio-grande-cornbread-recipe/index.html

Found this online, very close to my recipe: I either put it in the large quiche pan or in the iron skillet, oiled first. Don’t bake it in a too hot oven, 325-350 (no more), it is too dense and will not cook in the center, but will get too brown on top. It may take close to an hour, but def check it at 30 and 45 minutes.

2 ears corn, husked substitute the creamed corn
    1/4 cup bacon fat use corn oil
    1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup creme mexicana (Mexican sour cream)
    1 cup chopped fire roasted Hatch green chiles
    1/8 cup water
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    12 ounces goat cheese or whatever cheese you like, I prefer sharp cheddar

For tonight, I just took some Jiffy Mix and dumped in some cream corn, shredded mexican mix cheese and Jaleneno's. I sprinkled on some cumin and cayenne for color.

Attached Files:

EO 11110, Zed and Sampson like this.
  35. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Piri Piri Chicken

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    newmisty likes this.
  36. Sampson

Mining
    So whaddya do when you bananas look like this?

[​IMG]

Why, you make banana bread of course. This recipe will make 2 big loaves or one big cake like i made. Like anything i make it can be adjusted to suit your tastes and i will post recommended substitutions and additions below.

About 4 cups of bananas, i used 8 big bananas for this one.
    Mash them up and add 4 big eggs.

In another bowl mix 1 cup butter with 1+1/2 cups brown sugar. I throw it in the microwave for a min so soften it all for mixing.

In a really big bowl, put 4 cups flour with a tablespoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of salt, mix it up a bit.

Looks kinda like this.

[​IMG]

Add the butter/sugar mix to the banana and mix it up reall good.

Then add it all into the flour and mix it all up a bit. Don't mix it too much at this point though or you will end up making banana brick instead of a nice soft caky texture. A little chunky is ok. If it is too dry you can add a bit of milk, if it too wet just add more flour.

Looks kinda like this.

[​IMG]

I use a big flat pan instead of a bread loaf pan, I also like to top with a little sprinkeld sugar and cinnamon. looks kinda like this.

[​IMG]

Throw it in a 350 oven for an hour or so, check with a toothpick in the middle to ensure it is done, toothpick clean, done, toothpick sticky, not done. Looks kinda like this.

[​IMG]

Last step is to let cool for a bit and then Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Ohhh yea, Can add nuts, vanilla, chocolate chips, dried banana chips (Nickelesss) substitute half the sugar for honey, or even applesauce, etc.

shamash and newmisty like this.
  37. newmisty

Great post Sampson, thank you.

I'm not sure how rare it is, but in my late 20's I developed an allergy to banannas. I ate them all my life with no problems before that but since that 0one day, I can't have a bite of banana without having a mild form of Anaphylaxis...sucks.

HOWEVER, I am able to eat dried bananas or banana bread.

38. Strawboss

Strawboss Intergalactic Silver Guru Gold Chaser

IT Consulting
    1 7.25oz box of Kraft Mac and Cheese - prepared according to directions.
    1 can of Hormel Chili with beans
    A generous splashing of hot sauce

Mix well.

Eat while surfing GIM2.

newmisty likes this.
  39. AgBar

AgBar Commodore Gold Chaser

Physicist
    Another cookie recipe. These things are half brownie / half cookie bundles of pure chocolate and sugar with a token amount of flour to hold them together. If you like chocolate, these are absolutely sinful. No, really, you will probably commit at least 3 deadly sins (most likely greed, lust, and gluttony) over these.

Fudge Ecstacies

Ingredients:

12 oz (1 package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    2 oz unsweetened chocolate (if you can get 100% cacao, go for it)
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Instructions:

Oven to 350 F.

In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt together the butter, unsweetened chocolate, and half of the chocolate chips.

Add the eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla, and baking powder. Mix well.

Remove from heat and add the remaining chocolate chips (they should only partially melt into the batter).

Spoon-size blobs onto a cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes.

newmisty likes this.
  40. ShirleyUGeste

ShirleyUGeste Seeker Seeker

Lord, I would LOVE to see a thread like this for recipes using only stockpiled goods. I mean, we've all got pails of rice, beans, flour, cornmeal, oats, etc, etc; but what exactly are you going to do with your stores? Maybe one of you super-cooks could start us a thread for SHTF recipes, when we likely won't have fresh milk, eggs, fresh fruit & vegetables, and all the other goodies we're used to. Anyone???

newmisty likes this.