1. Potus on the way to see the Pope, dollar tries to recover some losses
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is down 3.7 to 1251, while Silver is down 11 to 1702. Crude is +13 to 5160. The USD is +2 to 97.28
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your RECIPES Here

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by newmisty, Jan 10, 2012.

1. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Granola bars are a great SHTF food that can use dried ingredients like oats, seeds and fruit as well as long term sweets like honey.

2. Sampson

Sampson Digging for nuggets of knowledge Silver Miner

Mining
    Hi Shirley, I make lots of stuff from my long term storage supplies and will try to post some of them up here when i make them. One of my favorites that i make on a regualr basis is a very simple bread. I am copying a post i made in the survival forum and putting it here since it fits well. I have stopped using the yeast since i now have a good sourdough culture that i use instead. For the culture i just started scraping down my bread bowl and put it into a jar each time i made a new batch. I then added some water to make a thin slurry and let it sit for a bit. Now when i make a new batch i just use about half of my starter instead of the yeast and then add a little fresh flour and water to replace what i use, very simple.

To add to this bread with other prep items i have used different dried herbs, but my favorite addition is raisins. Just make the bread as usual then add raisins and top with a little cinnamon and sugar, delicious.

My basic recipe is to start with two cups of barely warm water into which i dissolve almost a tablespoon of yeast. (i now use sourdough starter to replace the yeast) After the yeast is dissolved i add two cups of whole wheat flower and two cups of plain white unbleached flour with a good tablespoon of salt. After mixing gently for about a minute i let it rise in the bowl on the counter for about an hour or so. This makes enough for about four nice little loaves.

After rising the whole thing can be covered loosely (to let gasses escape) and put into the fridge and kept like this for up to two weeks. For bread i wet my hands (so it doesn't stick) and grab out a baseball to softball sized piece of dough and fold it under a couple times to create a boule (ball - french) then place on tinfoil which has been sprinkled with cornmeal to prevent sticking. (can also use parchment paper, pizza peel etc.)

I let the boule set for about a half hour to 45 min and then preheat the oven to 450 (will use toaster oven in the bush to conserve solar power or dutch oven on fire if time allows) Just prior to putting in the oven i sprinkle with flour and cut a few slices into it to allow the bread to expand easily when starting to cook. It is reccomended to use a pizza stone or other heavy flat heatsink to help provide a nice crust and place about a cup of warm water in a metal dish in the oven to create a little steam which helps with the crust as well.

I have also used this dough base to make dumplings for chicken and dumpling stew. Just add a little milk, and some baking powder prior to dropping dough balls into the boiling stew. Real basic, low cost, and damned good tasting too.

Here are a few pics of my loaf from this morning and my roast beef sandwich lunch.

Dough in the bowl. Notice the popped bubbles from the gasses (co2) given off by the yeast.

[​IMG]

Formed into a boule

[​IMG]

Dust with flower and make some expansion cuts.

[​IMG]

Fresh from the oven, notice the little "hat" from the way i make the expansion slices.

[​IMG]

I shoulda let it cool a little more before cutting but i like it when it is still warm and the butter melts.

[​IMG]

Lunch.

[​IMG]

Sometimes it is the little things in life that can remind me just how blessed i am.

3. ShirleyUGeste

ShirleyUGeste Seeker Seeker

Sampson, where in the $%%##@$^&* is my &*^&&!*% thank you button? Thank you! I'll give your recipe a try.:s11:

4. newmisty

Great post sampson! Thanks you for sharing.

5. newmisty

THAI PIZZA

A local place sells a Thai Pizza. After disecting it was found to have:
    • Cheese
    • Cumin/ Corriander Spiced Chicken
    • Cucumbers
    • Sliced tomatoes
    • Basil/Thai basil
    • Sweet Chili Sauce

I tried to make a test pizza today with some ready made crusts and other things I had on hand. I didn't really come close but it helped me get a better understanding of how to improve it.

Seems to me they use the sweet chili sauce on the crust instead of tomato sauce. Then the cheese(I used a cheese that didn't go well with it), thin slices of tomatoes(didn't have any on hand), small cubes of cukes, fresh basil(had to use dried) and some more sweet chili on top for good measure.

My "kill the closet pizza" (using the old stuff from the pantry) served it's purpose of filling the belly but left a lot to be desired to achieve a good imitation of theirs. I marinaded the chicken breasts in olive oil, S&P, cumin, coriander, red curry and lemon juice. Then fried in in a large pan with a lid stirring frequently. The chicken itself came out pretty good.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the basics and let you play with the idea if you felt so inclined.

Here is a shot of the final product. I loaded up the cucumbers and they faired pretty well and made it quick and dirty. For optimum results I would remove the skin first o the cukes and cut them smaller and more uniform, but I wasn't being picky today. I just wanted to get filled up for cheap, fast.

Attached Files:

Sampson likes this.
  6. Sampson

Mining
    Mmmmmmm, that pizza looks good. I am not sure i have all the ingrediants i will need but i am going to try to make a veggie pizza with some stuff i have in the fridge now. I just got back from a trip and have some extra bread dough in the fridge that i should eat up before it gets too old and will use that for my pizza crust base. On that same note i will post my recipe for the sourdough pancakes i had for lunch today that used the same leftover dough.

I used about one cup of my premade dough which is covered in my above post for homemade bread. I then added one egg, about 1/6th of a cup of light cream until it was a nice pancake batter consistancy, and then added a couple pinches of baking powder. Mix thoroughly. Using the sourdough base gives them a nice flavour that many pancakes lack.

I use a cast iron skillet on medium low heat with a tiny bit of butter at the start and drop on large dallops of batter. It will bubble while cooking and i check the underneath when the bubbles stop. Once the bottom is browned well and there are no bubbles i flip them and cook until the other side is also nicely browned. Thicker batter and more baking powder makes lighter and fluffier pancakes while thinner and less powder makes them a little more chewy although i tend to like them like this when cooked a little longer and slightly crispy around the edges.

Now comes the fun part, toppings. One of my favorite toppings is to butter them and sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon on them. Today i also had one with traditional maple syrup, and a couple more with some homemade saskatoon preserves. Also good with honey, different types of jams or jellies, fruits, etc. A good change from the ordinary is to cut them up and put in a bowl with a little cream and some strawberries, mmmmmmm. You can always use more exotic toppings too like guacamole, salsa, chopped herbs, etc. I like to experiment with different toppings and use whatever i have around the kitchen or is in season.

Overall it is a really basic recipe but can be made with just some basic ingrediants that just about everyone has on hand. The best part of this recipe is that the total cost for my lunch today was probably around 50 cents to one dollar tops.

Edit to add: I was too lazy to get the camera out for pancake pics and they would have been pretty boring anyways but i just finished eating my pizza and i got a pic of it before i skarfed it all down. It turned out pretty good and the crust was nice and crisp. I baked the crust for about 7 minutes at 425 before putting the toppings on and it worked good. Toppings were tomato paste with onion, green pepper, spinach, tomato, and chedder cheese. Only thing i was lacking was enough cheese, it was just barely enough and it definitely could have used more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  7. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

This is GREAT!!

My kid and Zed shamed me into trying this. I used wilted spinach, sun dried tomato, mushroom and brie cheese for the stuffing. EXCELLENT, but tying it up is a challenge, for me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  8. Sampson

Mining
    It got cold here again (about -15c) and was snowing so i took out a .22 and was able to shoot a good sized rabbit for dinner. Since Shirleyugeste had asked about prep related recipes i thought i would share this one since it could easily be made by using just canned and/or dehydrated materials most of us have. I did use some fresh carrots, onions, and celery but any of us with gardens probably grow them anyways so we would probably have them in longer term seasonal preps.

First step is to skin and cut up the rabbit. Could also use chicken or other small game like squirrels, rats, birds, etc.
    Fry it in a pan for a while till slightly brown then put into a big pot of boiling water.
    Boil for about 20-30 mins until the meat is soft then remove into a large bowl to let cool.

Add veggies into the water/broth and cook till soft. I cooked my carrots, celery, and onions for a while before adding some canned peas and green beens. If using dehydrated veggies it might take longer for them to soften up so plan accordingly.

Once the meat is cooled pull it all off the bones and if needed cut it into smaller pieces. Add deboned meat back into pot.

Add spices and seasoning to taste. I used seasoning salt, garlic, lots of pepper, sage, basil, oregono, tarragon, and majoram.

Cook it all together for a while and eat as is or add the next couple ingrediants to really step it up.

I added one can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk but you could also use any cream soup like cream of celery, cream of mushroom, cream of asparagus, etc.

I made a dumpling batter out of some of my bread dough from the above posting and added about 1/4 cup of cream and one big teaspoon of baking powder. Mix it all up well.
    Get the soup boiling well and drop the dumpling batter into the soup in big spoonfulls and cover with a tight fitting lid for about 15-20 mins. Dont remove the lid while they are cooking to ensure the dumplings are light and fluffy.

You can add things like potatoes for filler, or put it on top of cooked rice as well. If you want to thicken it up a bit just add a bit of corn meal or flour and let cook until thicker. Any other normal stew or soup veggies or additions can make for a great addition depending on what you have available.

I am just letting it cool in a bowl on the table before i eat it and here it is in the pot just bofore i filled my bowl. Notice how light and fluffy looking the dumplings look. My mouth is watering so much while i type this it is hard not to drool on my keyboard.

[​IMG]

Ohhh yea, the whole thing probably cost me just over $5 to make and will feed me for numerous meals. I will heat it up and make new dumplings as needed since i like them so much.

Enjoy.

9. ralleia

ralleia Silver Member Silver Miner

Student, homemaker, mom.
    Potato-kale soup

Yesterday I harvested kale out of the greenhouse, scraped off the aphids to give to the chickens, and made potato-kale soup. Very simple and yummy. The original recipe said to use only 1/2 lb sausage, but we like to use more.

----------------------------------------------
    Potato-kale soup (serves 6)

4 medium potatoes
    8 cups water
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 lb sausage, cubed (the pre-cooked kind, like Hillshire Farms)
    2 lbs kale

Peel and cut potatoes into large cubes. Cook in water 20 to 30 minutes until fork-tender. Remove potatoes from water, reserving the liquid. Process potatoes through food grinder or mash through sieve. Return them to potato liquid. Add salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.

Wash kale, discarding any overly tough leaves. Cut into coarse shreds. Add to potatoes and cook for 25 minutes.

Add sausage and simmer for 5 minutes.
    ----------------------------------------------

10. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

I just found a new site called Dehydrate2Store with an awesome free recipe section. Dozens of ideas for how to enjoy our dehydrated preps, plus other stuff too. Here's a pic.

Recipes pic.jpg

The full collection is at http://www.dehydrate2store.com/recipes/. They have an easy print button too. :)

11. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Yummy! subscribed. Any gluten free recipes out there?

12. Buchan

Buchan Silver Member Silver Miner

There are some great recipes here! Thanks for sharing!

I'm in the process of posting on my website my grandmother's recipes that she collected over the years (1940s-1970s or so). It's a work in progress, but you're welcome to take a look at what's up so far. The majority, by the way, are desserts of one kind or another -- especially cakes and cookies.

http://www.globalfeline.com/wp/recipes/grandma-wibes-favorite-recipes/

13. Sampson

Mining
    I made up a real simple ham and lentil soup today that i thought i should share. Real easy to make, real delicious, real nutritous, and real cheap too. :thumbs_up:

I made a honey coated ham a few days ago and now that i got it down to mostly bone left i decided to make a soup with it. Since it originally had a honey glazed coating on it it was slightly sweet and of course fairly salty like most hams.

Start by putting about 6 to 8 cups cold water in a big pot and throw the ham bone in to boil for an hour or two.
    Once the ham is falling off the bone pull it all out and put it in a bowl to cool.
    Add about two cups of green split lentils inot the broth.
    Cut up and add three or four large carrots, 3 or 4 stalks of celery, a couple large onions, and a full bulb of garlic.

Once the ham in the bowl is cool pull it all off the bone and cut it into small pieces then add back into the soup.
    I put the cleaned bone back in the mix to let it cook as much of the flavour out of it as long as it is cooking.

I don't have a bay leaf but i would normally add one along with some parsley and cracked pepper. The ham is normally salty enough that you don't need to add any and the overall flavour of the veggies adds enough taste that you don't usually need much extra flavouring.

Of course it can be varied and added to as you may desire but this is how it looks when i make it.

[​IMG]

It won't be much longer before my big pot full is done cooking and i can hardly wait to dig in tonight.

Ishkabibble likes this.
  14. Ishkabibble

Dang it Sampson, you could put most Amish housewives to shame. That's such fine cooking for a bachelor. :)

Sampson likes this.
  15. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Rhodium Imam Gold Chaser

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn!
    Would it be out of place to request recipes here?

16. newmisty

No problem at all.

17. Unclad Lad

To make a long sob story short, my panty has been slimmed down over the last 2 years, and I've discovered a lot of canned salmon on hand. Since salmon loaf loses its appeal after time, I was hoping to get some fresh ideas.

18. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Well, then, consider the charms of salmon salad. With diced celery, chopped green onion, sweet relish or chopped sweet pickels, mayo or salad dressing, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and dill, salmon salad is great on the side of a tossed salad. Better yet, make a grilled salmon salad sandwich with American or cheddar cheese. Yummy! Salmon salad is also tasty baked in the oven as the stuffing for green peppers.

Sampson, Unclad Lad and newmisty like this.
  19. Ishkabibble

I use salmon for the following (non-intuitive recipes are included)

Sushi
    Salmon stuffed puff pastry
    Salmon Pasta salad

Pizza
    Burgers
    I also like the Asian salmon salad from AllRecipes.com - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asian-salmon-salad/detail.aspx

20. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Speaking of Yum...
    Spring is here! I planted these guys 20 years ago & they are still doing fine.

Pressure Washer 008.JPG

A little over cooked, I got distracted doing the Alfredo sauce while the asparagus was still on the burner.

Asparagus 002.jpg

Pick those buggers at about 6" - 12" & trim off to uniform size.
    Rinse off & blanch about 2 minutes, then chill & drain (just like you were gonna freeze them) & set aside.
    In a fry pan melt 3 Tbsp. butter & toss in 1tsp. garlic powder.
    As soon as it starts to brown, throw in the asparagus & toss & try to evenly coat with the garlic butter.
    A little salt & done.

& (king of easy here)

EZ Alfredo sauce.
    Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in saucepan.
    add 1 Tbsp flour.
    Cook till smooth.
    Add 1/2 cup milk
    Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Sampson, mnmom and newmisty like this.
  21. Ishkabibble

A very good question that all here should seriously consider. While only 1% of the population is diagnosed with celiac disease, it is estimated that 97% of celiacs are undiagnosed (University of Chicago). This equates to a probability that 33% of the population is celiac PLUS the population that is not celiac but is gluten intolerant. That's high enough risk to warrant your attention. It's also good to note that diabetics benefit from a very similar diet to those who are celiac and/or gluten intolerant.

Celiac disease and gluten intolerance often remains dormant until extreme stress brings it to bear. In other words, you can have it and not know until SHTF. Long term effects of celiac disease and gluten intolerance include osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, nutrient deficiency, chronic diarrhea (leading to consistent dehydration), and more. Celiac disease and gluten intolerance is most common among O blood types and those with a diabetic family history.

I recommend all people plan their food storage to allow for the possibility you or a loved one is gluten intolerant. A shorter unhealthy life awaits those who are intolerant but eat gluten containing foods anyway.

The best recipes I have found for gluten intolerant people is "Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" by Elana Amsterdam. It can be downloaded free from ThePirateBay.org, but it's 140 pages and very worth the ~$15 list price. The author has a site as well... http://www.elanaspantry.com/ and now is the time to visit it. She has the best gluten-free recipes I have ever found.

Also note that the common gluten-free alternatives to wheat are very high on the glycemic index. That's one reason celiac and gluten intolerant people often develop lifestyle related diabetes. Almond flour is lower than 1 on the GI, compared to 98 for white rice flour. To put this into perspective, table sugar is 68 and the higher the number the more rapidly it will spike blood sugar. Cooking with almond flour is more costly, but it will not contribute to possible diabetes like other flours. That's an edge to Elana's recipes that most gluten-free recipe books and sources do not offer.

PS. Not related to Elana in any way, just @#%'n impressed with her work. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Kingfisher likes this.
  22. mnmom

mnmom Seeker Seeker

You're all making me hungry :p

I like granola in the morning and this has been a great standby. Very easy to make and store. Uses mostly stockpile items. Its kid approved too. I make larger batches of this and store in an air-tight container.

Grainola

4C Old fashioned Rolled oats
    1C Blend of grains ( I use millet/amaranth/quinoa)
    3/4C Sunflower seeds
    3/4C Walnuts
    1C Unsweetened shredded coconut
    1 1/2C dried fruits
    Grated zest of 2 oranges (dried works well too)
    3/4C raw honey
    1/4C coconut oil

Preheat oven to 300*
    Combine oats, blend, sunflower seeds, walnuts, coconut, dried fruit, and zest in a large bowl. Gently heat the honey and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix well and pour over oat mixture and stir until everything is combined.

Place this on baking sheets in a thin layer. bake, stirring every 10 minutes for 40minutes. Cool completely.

I'm partial to soups and this is one of my favorites

Roasted tomato and paprika soup

5 tomatoes cored and quartered
    1 large red bell pepper
    3 small yellow onions quartered
    Olive oil
    5 cloves garlic
    3C veggie stock
    1/2 tsp smoked or hungarian paprika
    salt
    pepper

Heat oven to 375* and rub 2 baking sheets with olive oil. Arrange tomatoes skin side down on a sheet. Arrange bell pepper and onion on another sheet along with whole bulbs of garlic. lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake until tomatoes collapse and onions start to carmelize (about 45min). Puree all veggies. add in stock and paprika and adjust seasoning to taste.

Sampson, Unclad Lad and newmisty like this.
  23. Sampson

Mining
    I've been so busy working recently that i missed most of the last recipes here. They all look pretty good and i will definitley refer back for a few new meals for me.

The rivers around here are finally starting to go down and clear up enough that i can go fishing again and eat more of my favorite meat. Not only is it delicious and very healthy if you have the gear and don't lose your lures or use fuel to drive to the river it cuts out the cost of meat for your meals.

Blackened herbed trout.

I made up five pan fry sized trout with this amount but feel free to increase/decrease as necessary.

1 cup flour
    1tbs thyme
    1tbs parsley
    1tbs lemon pepper

Mix it all together in a big bowl or plastic bag. Clean and wash your fish and while they are still wet coat them well in the flour mixture.

I use a blend of butter and olive oil in a cast iron pan but you can use any oil or pan of your choosing.

2 tbs olive oil and 2 tbs butter melted in a medium high heat pan.

After coating put fish in pan and cook about 3 min per side or until the breaded coating gets a nice dark color to it. Turn down heat to medium low and cover for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the flesh firms up and flakes apart nicely.

I like to eat the skin and many of the small bones but make sure to chew it all well and watch out for the bigger bones.

Tonights veggies was a nice salad of iceberg lettuce, celery, orange pepper and finely chopped brocoli stem. Most people would recommend white wine with fish but i decided on a lighter fruity red wine from a local winery. My choice was blackberry wine from the "Bonaparte Bend" winery which is on the same river i caught the fish and only about 30 miles downstream.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

newmisty, Scald and searcher like this.
  24. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Most everybody in the you ess of A lets this most delicious food rot on the vine... You can get them for free from most farmers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

found this recipe online- vary to pleasure...

Nonna's Pan-Fried Zucchini Flowers

Serves 4 to 6

Eat these like candy; they are that good. Fry up a batch, enjoy them fresh, then do more. You want male flowers which have stems. Females are attached to the squash. Harvest flowers once they have just opened and use them as soon as possible. Ask for flowers at farmers' markets and in specialty food shops. Do be sure the blossoms are from zucchini as other squash flowers often have strong, unpleasant flavors.

If you wash the flowers, do it very gently and dry them suspended upside down. Both the coatings below are excellent. The first is fly-away crisp and a more batter-like finish. The second is my grandmother's and is barely noticed on the flowers. Use a cold-pressed vegetable oil (peanut or grape seed oil are best), if possible. If the flowers are organic, life is truly good.

24 male zucchini flowers (with stems)
    about 4 cups cold-pressed peanut or grape seed oil
    2 large eggs, beaten
    2 cups flour seasoned with salt and pepper
    salt

Gently remove the pistel from each flower. Cut stems to about 1 inch. Make sure blossoms are dry.

Heat 1 inch of oil in a 12-inch saute pan over medium high until oil is hot but not smoking. It should be about 365 degrees on a candy thermometer. Have eggs and flour in 2 shallow soup dishes.

Dip several blossoms in the egg, let most of it drain away, then roll in flour, shaking off excess. Fry a few minutes until crisp and golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels, season with salt and serve hot.

Variation: My grandmother also often made a light flour and water batter, blending it to the consistency of heavy cream. After dipping the blossoms, most of the batter was allowed to drain away.

Copyright 1997 by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, All Rights Reserved

newmisty likes this.
  25. Scald

Scald Tungsten collector Silver Miner

Shepard
    Just brought home some fresh caught pan-sized rainbows, gonna try Sampson's recipe. Thanks!

26. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Another garden bachelor meal:

Pick a handful of green beans nip & wash.
    Scrub 2 small potatoes that weren't worth peeling for mashed recipes.
    Toss potatoes on top of greenbeans in a saucepan with an inch of water.
    Bring to boil, then cover & simmer on low till beans are soft, maybe 20 minutes.
    Spill out any remaining water.
    2 tabs butter (God I love butter!)
    Sprinkle sharp cheese.
    Salt & eat out of the pan.

Knife, fork & pan to clean up. (or leave in sink for wife to wash later) :fisheye:

Snap-On Impact Shallow Half Inch Drive Sockets & Green Beans 012.JPG

27. newmisty

I've recently started to make "ice pops" after giving up my seasonal ice cream addiction. Last time I made "juice pops" as we called them was with my mom at 5-7 years old.

I bought a package o molds through ebay for 4 bucks shipped from the Han region(China). The are almost identical to the ones we used to use. Ice cube trays will do the trick too.

I've been experimenting for a week or two with freezing different things as a cool refreshing "snack".

So far I've tried different juices on hand(cran grape, pineapple etc.) coconut milk, and chocolate soy milk(not bad, kinda like a pudding pop).

This morning I froze an Italian blood orange soda in the pops.

Well, that's surely a winner. These are Reeeally good! Wow :cheerful:

Sweet, tart, refreshing and the bubbles do some magic when frozen.

As expected, unlike the juice and soy milk, these guys got over zealous when frozen so if you try it, don't fill them TTT. The pics of the overflow were from the first batch. The pics of them being filled are after I learned my lesson. Hopefully there is enough space there.

Attached Files:

28. Scald

Scald Tungsten collector Silver Miner

Shepard
    Optional: add cooked bacon or bacon bits :cheerful:

29. newmisty

Hey there. :eating:

I'm trying to cook much more at home(free gold!) and could use some help expanding my horizons a bit. We have thousands of years of collected experience here and I am expecting some sharing of ideas that work for you.

Ok, time to start sharing!

30. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

I chose a new processor for my deer this year and while he did a beautiful job trimming it up, he packaged it in rather large pieces. I did up a package of steaks last month, it made a dinner for 2 and 2 other smaller servings. I did it like this:
    package of venison steaks, soak in milk for a couple hours, pour off milk and pat dry. Mechanically tenderize and dip in beaten eggs and drege in seasoned flour mixture. Brown in bacon fat. Reduce heat and top with sauteed mushrooms, bacon and cream of mushroom soup. Cook slowly over low heat for ~20-25 minutes, serve and enjoy!

It isn't low-cal, or particularly healthy, but mighty tasty!

I got a couple of large shoulder roasts and I never had much luck with venison roasts before, except cook long and slow and tacking bacon over the roast. Any help here?

31. Unclad Lad

newmisty likes this.
  32. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

my Mothers layer bars,

basically a home made candy bar, or quick shot of energy,

-1 Pkg Graham Crackers
    -1 stick real butter
    -1 bag chocolate chips
    -1 small bag coconut
    -1 small bag walnuts
    -1 can sweetened condensed milk

melt stick of butter in 9x11 pan,
    evenly on the bottom of the pan,
    crush the crackers (finely chopped) and spread evenly into the melted butter
    that is your base,
    spread chocolate chips in next
    then sprinkle in chopped walnuts to liking, (some use less, etc, some use finely chopped, others chopped)
    spread coconut over the top of this, (use enough to your taste or liking)
    drizzle milk evenly over the whole concoction, 1 can is enough to do so

put in oven and bake at 350 until top just turning golden brown,
    do not overcook, otherwise base gets too hard,

have used this one for years for get togethers and they always disappear

newmisty likes this.
  33. MisterNatural

MisterNatural Seeker Seeker

Got one for you:

If you've never had smoked meatloaf, you don't know what you're missing. It's so good, I can't even eat oven baked meatloaf anymore. You can use your favorite meatloaf recipe but here's a nice easy one:

* 2 - 3 lbs. of ground meat, beef , pork, or veal. I usually use 1 lb. beef, 1 lb. pork sausage, and 1 lb. venison but any combo will do. If you use mostly venison, make sure to add some beef or pork for the fat.
    * 1 small onion finely chopped
    * 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic minced
    * 1 C. fresh bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs
    * 2 eggs lightly beaten
    * 3/4 C. ketchup
    * 1/4 C. milk

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. blend the mixture about 4-5 minutes and then form onto a metal baking pan or flat cookie sheet.

The thickness and size of your meatloaf isn't too important but I make mine around 6" ×10" and about 3" inches thick. It's best if you can keep the loaf elevated out of the juices. I have a wire rack that fits in my baking pan and works well.

It takes around 3 hours at 250 degrees in the smoker but it varies depending on how well you can regulate temperature. When it's 160 to 165 degrees inside, you're good. I like to lay bacon strips on top when it's about halfway done. You can eat it like this or cover with ketchup, bbq sauce, or whatever else about an hour before it's done to form a crust. That's about all there is to it. I promise it will be the best meatloaf you've ever eaten.

newmisty likes this.
  34. MisterNatural

I follow Rich Franklin's philosophy on healthy eating: Eat clean during the week but reserve one day for a pigout day, it's important for the mind and soul. This time of year my pigout day is usually football Sunday, so for those of you who like wings, here we go. I have three recipes, two breaded and one bare naked. I'm posting the breaded ones because they're so similar. One is for buffalo style wings and one is for honey barbeque wings. If I'm making a lot, like 8 lbs. for a party, I'll make half and half. If you eat wings a lot, the honey barbeque is a nice change of pace.

Breaded Buffalo Wings:

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    20 chicken wing segments
    1/2 cup butter OR margarine
    1/2 cup hot sauce

-In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper.
    -Coat chicken entirely in the flour mixture; refrigerate coated wings for 1 hour; coat chicken again with remaining flour mixture.
    -In a 2-quart saucepan, heat butter and hot sauce just until butter melts; turn heat to low and keep warm on stove top.
    -Deep-fry chicken, 8 - 10 pieces at a time (I have a big deep fryer...use common sense here), in 375 degree oil (vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil) for 18 minutes, give or take.
    -Drain chicken on a wire cooling rack or brown paper bags for 30 seconds, then immediately toss fried chicken in buffalo sauce mixture and remove with a slotted spoon.
    -Repeat with remaining chicken.

Adjusting the spiciness of the sauce: As is, the recipe produces a medium sauce. To change the amount of spiciness, simply adjust the butter-to-hot sauce-ratio:
    Mild: Use 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup hot sauce.
    Hot: Use 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup hot sauce.

Use Frank's Hot Sauce. I'm sure another hot sauce like Tabasco would work fine, but Frank's has a great flavor, not just heat. Use ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing as a dip for these wings.

Honey Barbeque Wings:

2 cups Bullseye or Sweet Baby Ray's (preferred) BBQ Sauce, Original flavor
    1/2 cup honey

Make wings the exact same way but instead of hot sauce and butter, heat BBQ sauce and honey until warm in a small saucepan then turn heat to low and keep warm.

If you like your HB wings gooey, mix them in the sauce and put in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

newmisty likes this.
  35. MisterNatural

Here's a really good cube steak recipe that's so simple it's almost idiot proof. I use venison but beef is just as good:

Ingredients:

* 4 to 6 cube steaks
    * 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    * 1 sm. onion, chopped
    * 1 soup can of milk
    * 1 can mushrooms, drained
    * vegetable oil

Dredge cube steaks in flour and brown in a small amount of oil.
    Add onion and cook until it is almost transparent.
    Mix soup with milk until smooth, mix in mushrooms.
    Pour soup and mushrooms over meat.
    Reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes.

Eat as is, or over French bread, noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

newmisty likes this.
  36. MisterNatural

I'm on a roll so here's one more then I'll give someone else a chance lol. Great thread by the way! This is a drink recipe you make the day before. It tastes amazing and packs a pretty good wallop. It's kinda foo foo and girly but I'm secure with my masculinity so what the hell:

Bourbon Slush:

1 1/2 cups sugar
    6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
    12 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
    46 oz. can pineapple juice
    2 cups strong brewed tea
    2 cups bourbon
    lemon-lime soda

-Combine all ingredients (except lemon lime soda) in large plastic sealable container.
    -Place in freezer for 24 hours, stirring every 4 hours if you can.
    -Spoon into glasses, leaving 1" - 2" space to the top of the glass.
    -Fill glass with lemon-lime soda.

newmisty likes this.
  37. newmisty

Frankly MisterNatural we need to make up for lost time and get more action in here so PLEASE feel free to post at your hearts content!

38. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

This came from the west side of Grand Rapids MI.

Ever wonder how poor folks back in the day made their less than choice cuts of meat taste tender and wonderful?

This is one way my family did it. I have smelled this recipe being grilled at parties so it isn't a total secret but man o man is it good! :cool:

Polish meat marinade

1 1/2 cup salad oil
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup worchester
    2 1/4 teas. salt
    1/2 tablespoon coarse black pepper
    1/2 cup wine vinegar
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 1/2 teas. parsley

soak for 3 days flipping often then grill.
    we use chuck roast or english roast

newmisty and MisterNatural like this.
  39. MisterNatural

Sounds great Irons, I'd like to try that. Our butcher shop always runs dirt cheap loss leader sales on chuck roasts, shoulder roasts, flank steaks, stuff like that. I think that might be pretty good for grilled amberjack, kingfish, or blacktip shark steaks too. I catch a lot of those, some really huge (Kings to 40 lbs., AJ's 60 to 80 lbs., and blacktips from 50 to over a 100 lbs.) but rarely keep them because I generally catch plenty of other better tasting fish. That's a lot of meat to toss back in! When I get a chance to try it out, I'll report back.

Irons and newmisty like this.
  40. newmisty

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying that too...got a couple things in the freezer that could stand the treatment.

MisterNatural likes this.