1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your RECIPES Here

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by newmisty, Jan 10, 2012.

1. GoldenPoet

GoldenPoet Silver Member Silver Miner

Over the rainbow, at the end of the earth, on a di
    up your vitamin a with carrots...
    put carrots in blender with water and pulverize... strain and use the lovely orange carrot water for
    cooking lentils
    cooking soups
    adding to smoothies
    cooking rice

it makes everything taste better too!

2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I make my own spice blends of Greek & Cajun spices.
    The Greek is really good on chicken & pork.
    I think the Greek would go well on venison too.

TAEZZAR'S Greek blend
    1/2 cup Kosher salt
    1/2 cup oregano
    1/3 cup garlic powder
    1/3 cup onion powder
    1/4 cup corn starch
    1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup parsley
    1 tablespoon of all the following:
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    cilantro (dried)
    paprika
    thyme
    basil (dried)
    Mix well in a food processor.
    Makes enough for a year.
    Use to taste

3. Gennie

Gennie New Member

Can I upload a pic here? I did get a pic of the loaves when they were done baking, the bread had a WONDEFUL, robust flavor! Now, it wasn't true sourdough and I guess I couldn't have waited longer but well....that turned into dinner. We had sandwiches for dinner, delicious :)

4. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Yes you can, it's easy, just go to the little button down in the right corner (upload a file) and choose your picture from your file.

5. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Outside of a generic Toss Salad, my Low Carb. Coleslaw( No Sugar Added), Green Beans w/ Smoked Ham Hock my last vegi-offer will be:

Low Carb. Broccoli Salad:
    2-3 good size broccoli crown, just the floret portion. ( some mince them up, I just cut the florets to fork size).
    8-10 slices of fried crispy bacon OR 1/3 cup of REAL Bacon bits ( not the artificial wannabees)
    1/3 Cup chopped, diced onion
    1/3 Cup of Sunflower Seeds ( obviously Hulled)
    1/3 Cup of Dried Cranberries
    1/2 Cup of Mayonaise
    1T. Extra Virgin Olive oil OR your favorite monounsaturated salad oil.
    1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar ( some choose to omit)
    1T. Splenda
    1/8 t. Salt or Seasoning Salt
    1/8 t. Black Pepper

I mix all the wet ingredients plus the salt and pepper in a large (2cup)measuring cup until smooth.
    In a large bowl slightly TOSS the Broccoli, Bacon, Onion, Seeds, Cranberries together.
    AFTER a few tosses pour in the wet ingredients and toss until all ingredients have a mixed well coating all the florets.

Cover and Chill for at least one hour, preferably 2 hours before serving. ( some may to add more salt and pepper to taste).
    ENJOY !

gringott likes this.
  6. Gennie

Gennie New Member

Okay, will attempt a picture lol. This was the bread still hot from the oven and in the pan, unfortunately I didn't get a pic of it after because I was busy cutting and then making sandwiches but was very yummy!

Attached Files:

TAEZZAR likes this.
  7. TAEZZAR

See, Gennie, wasn't that easy.
    Welcome to GIM2.

8. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Restaurant style coleslaw.
    This is the closest I have got to the type of coleslaw I used to get in a little paper cup at diners back in the 1960s-1970s with a sandwich.

1 lb. chopped coleslaw mix [cabbage & carrots]. You can buy this pre-chopped just about everywhere or make it yourself.
    2 tablespoons finely diced onion.
    2/3 cup mayonnaise. I use the type with olive oil in it, but any will generally do, it's to your taste. Even that stuff called "Salad dressing" I guess.
    3 tablespoons extra light olive oil. Or ordinary vegetable dressing if you have nothing else.
    1 tablespoon sugar [or less]
    1 tablespoon vinegar.
    1/4 teaspoon salt.
    1 teaspoon poppy seeds.

Combine coleslaw mix & finely chopped onion in a large bowl.

Combine all other ingredients and mix together well.

Pour mixture over coleslaw mix and combine thoroughly.

Cover and chill two hours or more. Longer = better.

I usually eat the next day aka 24 hours of chilling.

The original recipe I got this from called for 1/2 cup of sugar. Way excessive IMHO.
    I am now down to 1 tablespoon, and am experimenting going lower.
    I am constantly tinkering with the amount of each ingredient. This is where I am at right now.

I started making this as I can't eat the crap they sell at the supermarket labeled coleslaw. I don't care what they call it, it is crap. The stuff with the cabbage diced into small pieces. That isn't "coleslaw" it is something else. Also they dump corn syrup into most of that I have seen, like everything else in the supermarket.

This is great with fried chicken, sandwiches, hamburgers/hot dogs, really anything informal and in a cook out type situation. Personally I like it with grilled hot Italian sausage sandwiches with hot giardiniera mix, helps taper the heat off the tongue.

9. Gennie

Gennie New Member

TY, and yes...very easy!

TAEZZAR likes this.
  10. Gennie

Gennie New Member

Something I was thinking about trying...from http://commonsensehome.com/dandelion-wine-recipe/

Dandelion Wine Recipe

Ingredients

Directions

1) Collect the blossoms when they are fully open on a sunny day. Remove any green parts; they will impair fermentation (and ruin the taste of the wine).

2) Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the flowers in a large pot or crock. Cover and let steep for three days.

3) Prepare the oranges and the lemon. I used organic oranges and lemon, zested about half the skin off and cut the rest off in very thin strips to minimize the amount of white pith I added to the brew. (I love, love, love my Microplane grater[​IMG] for zesting.) I peeled the citrus completely and sliced them into thin rounds. (My mom just sliced them in rounds without peeling when she made the wine.)

4) Add the orange and lemon zest to the flower-water mixture and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, strain out solids, then add the sugar (I used one pound Florida Crystals and two pounds white sugar), stirring until it is dissolved. Allow to cool.

5) Add the orange and lemon slices, yeast, and raisins to the liquid. Put everything into a crock with a loose lid (so gas can escape) to ferment. (I covered it with a clean cotton towel held down by a rubber band.)

6) When the mixture has stopped bubbling (2 days to a week), fermentation is complete. Strain the liquid through several layers of cheesecloth (I think my jelly bags[​IMG] would work well for this, too) and transfer to sterilized bottles. Slip a deflated balloon over the top of each bottle to monitor for further fermentation. When the balloon remains deflated for 24 hours, fermentation is complete. Cork the bottles and store in a cool, dark place for at least six months before drinking.

NOTE: Be sure not to seal these tightly before they finish fermenting, and don’t put them somewhere warm. Otherwise, you’ll end up with exploding bottles, like my sister Mary when she stashed them in the closet at the trailer house when she was first married. Apparently it sounded like there were bombs going off or they were being shot at.

11. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

This is a twist on Yorkshire pudding and my DH asked me to bake a second batch when he tasted one. My kid took all that was left. Quite easy and very amazing good.

Cheesy Herbed Popovers

[​IMG]
    Print
    Prep time
    5 mins
    Cook time
    45 mins
    Total time
    50 mins

These savoury little puffs are flavoured with sharp cheddar and lightly dried herbs. They're perfect for serving with fluffy scrambled eggs and bacon for a weekend brunch, or stuff them with your favourite sandwich fillings for a light mid-day meal.
    Author: Isabelle Boucher (Crumb)
    Recipe type: Brunch
    Serves: 10
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup lukewarm milk
    • 3 large eggs
    • 1 cup flour
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus more for greasing the pan)
    • ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
    • 2 tbsp Gourmet Garden Lightly Dried herbs (use your favourite herb or a mix)
    Instructions
    1. Preheat over to 450F. Very generously grease 10 cups of a regular muffin tin (preferably non-stick), and fill the remaining 2 cups with a small amount of water.
    2. Using a blender, mix together the milk and eggs. Add the flour and salt, and blend briefly to incorporate the flour. Scrape down the sides with a spatula then, with the blender running, drizzle in the melted butter. Blending until the batter is smooth and mostly lump-free. Stir in the grated cheddar and herbs.
    3. Pour batter into well-greased muffin tins or cast iron popover pans. Pour the batter into the greased cups, filling them about ¾ full.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, the lower heat to 350F and continue baking for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
    Wordpress Recipe Plugin by EasyRecipe

Read more: http://www.crumbblog.com/cheesy-herbed-popovers/#ixzz4LwO6PUbt

Merlin and TAEZZAR like this.
  12. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

First I've seen adding water to a muffin tin.
    Is this just to keep the empty 2 from scorching or harming the non stick surface, or is it to keep some extra humidity in the oven, so that the muffins stay a bit more moist?

13. Brio

Even baking I think. I added an extra egg and some flour so had no empty spaces but yeah. Even baking.

glockngold likes this.
  14. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Brio, I'd like to try this recipe. It reminds me, in a way, of pastry puffs my mother used to make that she filled with pudding :) Question: would they be good cold, or perhaps reheated? There are only two of us in the house, and Sam is diabetic. We shouldn't sit and pig out on them, no matter how good they may be. We're carb counting.

15. Brio

Can't help but pig out on these Merlin LOL! But they are very good reheated. And they'd be incredible stuffed with salmon or whatever. I'm making more for lunches this week.

Merlin likes this.
  16. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    How did it go?

Thanks for the link.