1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Should I comply with the Real ID Act?

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by Merlin, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:59 AM.

1. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

It is nearly time to renew my driver's license and I can do that without supplying the additional documentation required to make my new license Real ID compliant. I would then be able to drive my car anywhere I want, but would be forbidden to fly or ride an Amtrak train after October 1, 2020.

I view the federal government's constant intrusion into my life to be abhorrent. But should I feel so strongly that I refuse to participate? I have my social security card, my passport, my voters registration card, and a credit card statement (address confirmation) handy. If I comply with Real ID now, there is only the cost of my license renewal. If I wait until later to comply, then the upgrade will cost an additional $9.00.

So, weigh in on it. How do we feel about having a federal identification card in our wallets/

JayDubya likes this.
  2. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

They forced it on us in Texas - wouldn't renew without giving your SS.

Merlin, BigJim#1-8 and TAEZZAR like this.
  3. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Same in Oregon - Gestapos !!

Merlin and Silver like this.
  4. Merlin

When they implemented social security decades ago, we were promised that our social security numbers would not be used for identification. Now it seems to go into everything.

I'll also be required to give them my passport (to prove my identity), my social security number (just because), and two proofs of my Indiana residency (voters registration card and a credit card statement with my address on it.) What a crock!

searcher, JayDubya, hoarder and 6 others like this.
  5. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

In KENTUCKY we are going to be late to "the party" too. I'll drive wherever I got to go when the time comes.

But I quit flying when TSA came into effect and wanted to feel up my family. TSA - Perverts get paid for a job they love.
    Probably where Al Franken(sp?) will end up working. - My WAG

6. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

SS Card 1 - Copy.jpg

searcher, Merlin, arminius and 2 others like this.
  7. TAEZZAR

I totally agree !!!

8. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I really don't want to go anywhere, but can't see a good reason to obsess about another federal ID.
    "They" already know about you.
    If "they" want you... they're on the way... check the front door.
    If you need to take a stand, this one doesn't seem worth the inconvenience.

searcher, Merlin and GOLDBRIX like this.
  9. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    42 USC Sec. 408 provides that:

“Whoever ... discloses, uses, or compels the disclosure of the social security number of any person in violation of the laws of the United States; shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.”

10. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    I didn't comply with it when my license came up. I don't fly and try to have as little to do with bureaucrats as possible.

Heres a more complete version of the law re SS privacy from TN.

Notice
    To Financial Institutions and Account Holders Regarding the Possession and Use of
    Social Security Numbers There is no law requiring a person to obtain, have or use a Social Security Number to open, use or maintain a bank account or to perform bank transactions in the United States.

31 CFR 103.28 requires identification as follows:

“Before concluding any transaction with respect to which a report is required under Sec. 103.22, a financial institution shall verify and record the name and address of the individual presenting a transaction, as well as record the identity, account number, and the social security or taxpayer identification number, if any, of any person or entity on whose behalf such transaction is to be effected.” (Emphasis added)
    Financial institutions may be required to ask you for proper identification and a social security number. The financial institution is required to make a record of the identity records that you provide to them. However, there is no law requiring an account holder or customer to provide a social security number. Additionally, there is no law prohibiting a financial institution from opening an account or completing a transaction because a customer lacks a social security number.

31 CFR 103.33

requires financial institutions to include a “notation in the record” that a customer lacks a social security number or certain other identification.

31 CFR 103.34 provides:
    “In the event that a bank has been unable to secure . . . the required identification, it shall nevertheless not be deemed to be in violation of this section if (i) it has made a reasonable effort to secure such identification, and
    (ii) it maintains a list containing the names, addresses, and account numbers of those persons from whom it has been unable to secure such identification, and makes the names, addresses, and account numbers of those persons available to the Secretary as directed by him.”

18 USC Sec. 242 and 42 USC Sec. 1983 provides that:
    “Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;”

42 USC Sec. 1983
    further provides that a violator “shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress.”

42 USC Sec. 408 provides that:
    “Whoever ... (8) discloses, uses, or compels the disclosure of the social security number of any person in violation of the laws of the United States; shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.”

searcher, solarion and Merlin like this.
  11. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Merlin, the answer is looking you right in the face.
    You said you have a passport.
    That's all you need.
    Why show a DL when flying - I never do. I show my passport.

And yes, the TSA backhanded my genitals directly last time I flew. I only flew home because I didn't want to walk.

searcher, Silver and Merlin like this.
  12. Merlin

My daughter lives in the Phoenix area and it is a heck of a car drive from here to there. And if I want to take a cruise, it's a long way to departure ports from here. But, hey, if that's the way they want it to be, I think I'll drive. Besides, I might not even be here in nearly three years. And perhaps gringott is right and the passport will be sufficient :)

Silver likes this.
  13. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired

That they want a SSN for a 'drivers license' tells you something about the requirements for having a driver's license.

Merlin, Joe King, TAEZZAR and 5 others like this.
  14. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I'll never comply. It's always just one. little. bit. more. with these tyrants. They push and push until you draw a line and refuse to cross it.

Requiring ID to vote is somehow racists, but I have to be raped at the airport to fly. So I no longer fly. When Amtrak starts requiring realID for me to get on a train...they can go to hell too. I'll drive or I'll stay home.

Now I need to provide all kinds of crap just to "drive" my own gd "motor vehicle". No thanks...keep your realID crap. It's the same playbook over and over...they make it too inconvenient to avoid their tyrannical bs and people cave...every time.

TAEZZAR, Joe King, Merlin and 4 others like this.
  15. Merlin

So, today I renewed my Indiana drivers license without Real ID compliance. I agree with you solarion.

TAEZZAR, gringott, solarion and 3 others like this.