1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Coins with Political Messages, Unwise?

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Charlie Prime, May 6, 2015.

1. Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime Banned

I'm looking to convert another $1,000 into silver this week. Check out all the political messages on silver coins being sold by this website:

https://silvershieldxchange.com

I agree with some of the messages, but I don't think I should buy silver like this. In times of need, selling silver that half of people might not want doesn't seem like a good idea.

Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps people really like these types of messages.

[​IMG]

Here is their Texas ISIS video:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Po'boy and lumpOgold like this.
  2. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

people that buy silver aren't very diverse in their politics

as long as not much over spot, worth a shot with potential numi kicker 10-30 years out

look at the political bars from the 70's. they don't suffer today

Charlie Prime likes this.
  3. dpong

dpong Gold Member Gold Chaser

No, Charlie. Your instincts are correct. If I buy rounds, whatever they say on them, the message is 'trust me, I am a real silver round'.

4. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

5. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Silver is going to the moon; JP Morgan knows this, that's why they bought 50 million ounces last I heard. No coin dealer cares about the message on the coins just the market for them.

6. dpong

dpong Gold Member Gold Chaser

I'm all for having some fun. But it wouldn't hurt if they said Johnson Matthey on them, I'm just sayin'.

7. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Seeker Seeker

A lot of the Silver Shield coins seem to be available for 2-3 dollars over spot depending on quantity purchased which is very similar to an ASE or Canadian Maple.
    Considering that the ASE never changes {except for the date} year after year I'm thinking the Mint must be making some serious "coin" just pumping out the same design.
    Many of the designs are very well done making the coins much more than just a siller bullion coin.
    There are those who say get me as much silver for my dollar as I can and that's a reasonable approach. Big bars and generic rounds are a decent option but acquiring some of the nicer designs makes it a little more interesting while we're waiting for Silver to "go to da moon"
    Spice of life and all, I think they are worth a look.

8. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Decent video, BUT, not for selling silver rounds !!

I would not buy from such heavy handed sales techniques (scare tactics).
    I believe recouping the premium on these rounds will be difficult.

I buy .999 or .9999 silver (rounds or bars) with the least premium. PERIOD.

JayDubya likes this.
  9. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

Buying these rounds is better than buying silver eagles in my opinion. For example I've bought some of the zombucks from Provident and have always gotten more than the 2.99 premium Provident sells them for when I sold mine. I know I wouldn't be able to do that with a silver eagle. If you are going to pay silver eagle premium ($2-$4 over spot) might as well get a round that has a realistic chance of premium appreciation. A coin with 30-40 million mintages is not going to appreciate premium wise, even 10-20 years down the road.

The only reason I can see for buying silver eagles is for ease and quickness when selling and I do have some but won't be buying anymore because I can't justify the 15-20% premium.

10. Annie

Annie Silver Member Silver Miner

Full time scooter trash.
    I wouldn't touch them unless they could be bought at near spot. I don't flip rounds or collect, I stack.

11. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

The fact that there are SO many new rounds and bars being produced now, and some Governments are minting their bullion coins with anti-counterfeiting measures, leads me to think that 90% may be the way to go. I don't think anyone is going to bother counterfeiting a Washington quarter, or a Kennedy halve, etc. Does add to the bulk of your stash though! I'm thinking of a worse case, WTSHTF scenario, when you are bartering, and there are no "Dealers" to sell to! No one questions the authenticity of a US 90% coin!

12. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

100 percent agree. the secret service/dc back the US mint products. i imagine they are less interested in defending the integrity of competitors.

also a silver or gold COIN is what the face value says it is -- unless sold for more

not a commodity, but money -- whole different ball game

Po'boy and Charlie Prime like this.
  13. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

edited for advertising

enough is enough there 917,

told ya to quit polluting threads with your mantra

please abide by that

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  14. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

90% is good, especially if you can get mercury dimes/walking liberty half dollars at reasonable premiums. Those might appreciate significantly in premium over the next 20-30 years for anyone who's in it for the long haul.

As you suggest counterfeiting is also a lot less common with 90%, although if you go to Alibaba you can still see the Chinese are counterfeiting it.

15. 917601

I will add a note: with the huge demand for PM's in China, the Chinese is making baby steps in combatting and shutting down counterfeiters, the last thing they need is their own population buying fake silver and gold.......made in China.....

16. 90%RealMoney

I would be buying 90% in bulk as a bullion investment only. In that case, I would prefer dimes, quarters, and halves dated 1964. They have NO wear usually. Walking Libs are a special coin in themselves, usually go for a premium (hopefully you can read the date!) Standing Lib quarters, and even Mercury dimes tend to wear badly. The few Standing Libs I've ever gotten in a mix were so thin, and dateless, I wonder what the silver content is. I bought one of those poured Chinese (silver) bowls off Ebay 15 or 16 years ago, when I first started. That's all the lesson I needed about Chinese "Silver". Luckily it was a fraction of the spot price of $4+ per ounce back then. The price should have been enough for me to stay away, but we've all had our lessons with "Greed" I imagine.

Charlie Prime and 917601 like this.
  17. Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime Banned

Thank you everyone in this thread for the good advice.

I do genuinely appreciate it.

Right now I'm checking around http://www.providentmetals.com for something standardized, yet without the word "dollar" on it.

I'm thinking this time I'll buy a mix of 90% coins, some art coins, and some government mint coins.

18. 917601

I understand you think the Shemitah cycle is " Mantra", but judging by the many Shemitah posts many do not. I find it troubling you deleted the picture of the same round CP posted, and the picture of an author's NY Times best selling Christian book. I took the time to take that picture of my purchases and share it. In any case, your objection ( and censorship) has been noted.

19. 90%RealMoney

Annie likes this.