1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Silvertowne Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by KGMe, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Silvertowne Dealer Ranking

1. One Star

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Two Stars

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Three Stars

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Four Stars

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Five Stars

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. stas3000

stas3000 Seeker Seeker

Come to think of it... I believe I was offered a cancellation w/ restocking fee too but I didn't take that. What exactly are we restocking here? :confused: I can see why people would rather buy somewhere else. Too bad.

2. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

I will never recommend these bass turds again. Now I'm pissed.

This is like when pot dealers use your money to front more weed to sell and make you wait for yours. :mad:

jogslvr likes this.
  3. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Agreed how can you charge a restocking fee for something on order.... Its robbery

I just paid it to get it over with, but I will never order again
    They are taking advantage of the situation...

4. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Just sent them an email asking them to forgo the restocking fee , telling them that 4 weeks for a 10 oz bar is not shipping issues but that they are selling items not in stock. No dice they are charging me anyway..

Well its ok Im glad it happened now, i was planning to load up for about 3k.

What bothers me is their attitude they just dont care

5. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Yeah that sucks. I had a similar experience with Silvertowne as well as currently with Provident. I will never use those two again. Personally I have had great experience with TPM as well as Gainsville Coins. APMEX is also a good seller in terms of my experience with them.

6. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Who is TPM?

7. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I ordered a 100 Koronas from Silvertowne on 4/23. I received a shipping notification yesterday. I have had shipping in two or three days from them in the past. The owner of my LCS knows someone at Goldeneagle, and he said that even they are thousands of orders behind.

8. Irons

9. Ahillock

Irons answered the question, Texas Precious Metals. I highly recommend them (sorry to derail the thread). They don't sell anything that they don't have in stock. If it is shown online, they have it in stock. Plus they guarantee to process the order within 3 days business days. From the time they confirmed my payment, I think it has taken 2-3 days for the package to show up at my home. Great company from my experience. They don't have as wide of an inventory selection as some of the other larger online dealers, but what they do carry they are decently price competitive plus I love their customer service. :thumbs_up:

10. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

I just sent the staff at Silvertowne an email to ask if they really do have the older sovereigns in stock or if their website was just fooling, as I was interesting in some but not wanting to wait a month of Sundays for delivery? LOL.

I also mentioned that there were a bunch of pissed off, once loyal customers and invited them to review their current feedback if they give a rat's arse.

:cheerful:

BTW: checked out Texas Metals - good prices but shipping seems a little steep.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Irons likes this.
  11. Ahillock

They probably have some lame excuse regarding unusual demand or market constraints and how they have been exceptionally busy do to demand and have been delayed in shipments.....Bla..bla...bla. Always an excuse. Don't see how hard it is to have an online website that is directly linked to your actual inventory. This is 2013, everybody is doing it. :cool:

12. Irons

This is like dating all over again.

I went from being totally in love to wanting this entity the fock out of my life in less than a month.

And like a female they have my money.

crypse likes this.
  13. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I placed an order last week, and got mine in about five days, must have had the 20 Francs in stock.

Irons likes this.
  14. stas3000

stas3000 Seeker Seeker

Called ST today. Was told that there were three days in April during which a total of 400 online orders did not interface to their ordering system. Basically, those orders were not picked up by anybody at ST (CS, shipping dept, etc). Those that called did not have that problem. However, I was told that they are working through them and that my order would ship today. Maybe I misunderstood something as I got no shipping notification today anyway.

I did not sense any burning desire to right the wrong although the lady was nice. So as I anticipated my CC will most likely have to manage a dispute on this one for me. Whether I receive product or not, this is a very uncool buying experience. :thumpdown:

P.S. I was told that they are dealing with several other IT issues. Those of you that don't mind buying from ST will have most certainty about your order getting though if you call rather than purchase online. I don't think pricing differs online vs phone.

15. Ahillock

It seems in a business like this with many other competitors offering similar products and pricing, that a company should go the extra mile to make sure the customer is taken care of.

16. jogslvr

I received a short and terse reply from ST. Basically, all it said was, "you need to address your question to Kyle-in charge of world coins- at 765-305-0211."

So Irons, you may want to call Kyle and ask he were your damn sovereigns are?

Irons likes this.
  17. Irons

I got a shipping notice at around 8 am today so Thank You Sir, you shook the right tree with your email. :party30:

For every one of us who posts here there are dozens if not hundreds who just read and follow along.

18. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Bottom line its bad customer service

they should not be taking new orders for items they dont have.. I was told my item was not there..THEY SHOULD SHOW THE ITEM AS OUT OF STOCK

SO HOW CAN YOU SELL SOMETHING YOU DONT HAVE, THIS IS NOT THE COMEX.

I am done with them, lots of other good retailers

19. stas3000

stas3000 Seeker Seeker

So did I. So the customer service person I had talked to yesterday was for real. They must have just not been able to ship yesterday but really are working through those 400 orders that were "lost". :thumbs_up:

20. Ahillock

Just save up enough FRNs so that you can do a large purchase and get the free shipping.

21. jogslvr

Buying large quantities at one time is not how I operate unless I know for sure a near bottom is in place. Given the current market instability, I prefer to buy in small increments, cost averaging, if you will. I find accumulating is more prudent than going all-in so as to maintain a good supply of dry powder in the event that the bottom does indeed fall out as it can, and has done so in the past.

I was just pointing out that to conservative stackers who tend to accumulate a roll or two at a time, TPM's shipping is almost twice that of Provident. It doesn't matter so much what price a dealer quotes on a website until one factors all the hidden costs and find the bottom line. Price delivered to the door is what matters to some.

just my 2 cents, other's milage may vary.

Argentium and Irons like this.
  22. Ahillock

Sure, if you like to stack a few coins here and a few coins there that will make more sense. However, another issue to consider is how slow Provident has been in shipping out orders. I am on almost 3 weeks since my order and still haven't seen a tracking number. I ordered something that was "in stock" and should have shipped now. Getting tired of their excuses.

For me, the extra ~$10 for shipping but getting the order within 2-3 days is more important than saving $10 and having to wait 2-3 weeks. YMMV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus for me when I occasionally want to do a large purchase or split a purchase with a family member or friend, it is nice to be able to get free shipping on that order than to have to pay ~$25 for it. A free oz of silver at that.

23. jogslvr

I totally understand your POV and agree with you on the shipping time situation. I understand that many are currently having problems with long delivery delays on items they were led to believe were in stock. I'd be pissed, too. Dealers should be more careful about that kind of thing as it will hurt their business pissing off loyal customers, as we've seen.

Provident may have realized they screwed up and are trying to correct the damage. I noted that for the past 2-3 weeks they've had a "pre-sale" going on OPM 10 oz bars, yet today, the item showed up as being sold out. Did they "pre-sell" all they had ordered or did they get word from the refiner that there was a problem? I don't know but it seemed weird that the item went directly to "sold out" from "pre-order" without passing go?

In my case, I made SURE that they had the item I wanted was in stock and shipping time was not an issue. I paid with personal check and got by silver in 14 days of order.
    :beerglass::beerglass:

24. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I didn't know what to expect, as this was my first Korona purchase. It was worth the wait. I received a BU 1915 yesterday. A quick search on the bay showed them starting at $1899, and I paid $1450. What a beautiful coin! I think that I will hold off on ordering from them until they get caught up on orders but this is the first time that I have had any kind of delay from them, and I have always been happy with the coins.

Irons likes this.
  25. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

I've been in a holding pattern for over a week on future purchases. I finally got everything I had on order with Provident and I'm not eager to repeat that experience at all. So far, I haven't had a problem with ST and I like their prices and free shipping on Euro gold, but when I hear about the problem Irons is having, it makes me wonder.

IIRC, they did a "upgrade" to their website a few weeks ago, I wonder if that has anything to do with these issues? Well, I'll take a chance with some Swiss Misses.

26. stas3000

stas3000 Seeker Seeker

To close the loop on the order I placed on April 12... the coin (MX 2 Pesos) finally arrived this morning, May 18. Hopefully those of you that are still waiting will get yours within a day or two. I'm pretty sure the whole hold up was due to technical issues I mentioned earlier as opposed to extremely high demand, metal shortage or stuff along those lines. Well, maybe a surge in orders played a part but that was not the real reason. My opinion FWIW.

Irons likes this.
  27. Irons

Same here Silvertowne came through. I believe them, things happen and I'll continue to buy from them. :thumbs_up: :cheerful:

b_cahill likes this.
  28. Buffalo

Buffalo New Member

Gah! They sent me the wrong coin!!
    Hope I can get this fixed in the morning...

29. Buffalo

Buffalo New Member

They were nice on the phone and are sending me a self addressed envelope to return the coin.
    Wish I had enough gold to get it confused:bear_blink::bear_blink:

Irons likes this.
  30. KnurledNut

KnurledNut Seeker Seeker

I placed a small $200 order with Silver Towne on some in-stock items. Ordered on Monday, received on Friday. Order was correct and well packaged. 5 stars from me.

31. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Haven't ordered from them yet. Reliable? I find their free shipping deals nothing more than a joke. Price of shipping simply built in to the order price.

32. KnurledNut

KnurledNut Seeker Seeker

I did a shopping cart comparison. After CC fees and shipping fees from other sellers it all balances out.

33. Rollie Free

Comparing what?

Silvertowne one ounce Kugerrand: $1,405

Provident: $1,339 plus $11.95 shipping ($1,351)

If you insist on using a credit card its a 3% charge which brings you around $1390. Then I guess you could say they are at least in the ballpark although I'll take the cheaper of the two.

Point is, there is no free shipping. It's just a marketing ploy, built into the cost.

The one time it would be advantageous is if you want a small order of house brand silver bars. That is a pretty decent deal. Not in to house brand myself (think Apmex, yecch!) although Silvertowne's are alright.

gringott likes this.
  34. KnurledNut

KnurledNut Seeker Seeker

I apologize for not clarifying myself. I'm only a small time silver buyer. The only gold I have is in one of my teeth. :biggrin:

35. Rollie Free

That's more than me. I just like to play fantasy pm boarder. My actual stash is some silver dimes I've gotten in change .

36. eyeball

eyeball New Member

I thought I would try them again and bought a gold sovereign it was NOT listed as AU, and the coin came in fast enough. But it has scratches on the front is the normal condition I would expect? I guess I ordered circulated?

37. SilverClover

SilverClover New Member

Many orders from them. 1 and 10 oz bars came fast. 5oz bars seem to have a delay. Not that I mind just a quick email from them saying there is a delay would have been nice. After emailing them my shipment went right out. Normally fast shipping and love free shipping on small purchases.

38. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

I made a fairly sizable purchase from Silvertowne a couple months back - it took them almost a month to get the goods to me. However, the customer rep I contacted (a number of times) was very helpful and speedy with her reply. I gave them 3 stars for delivery, but 5 for customer service...so it averaged to a 4.

39. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Hats off to Silvertowne. They made good on my 2013 West Point Eagle set, and sent me the First Strike PCGS set, after a mistake with their picture.

40. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Wow your rich, I grew up poor and only have silver in my teeth.

KnurledNut likes this.