1. Stocks continue up, all is aok. Metals flat to weaker.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold is down 0.8 to 1260 while Silver is down 5 to 1714. Crude is down 49 to 5064. The USD is down 10 to 9677.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Silvertowne Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by KGMe, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Silvertowne Dealer Ranking

1. One Star

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Two Stars

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Three Stars

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Four Stars

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Five Stars

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. KnurledNut

KnurledNut Seeker Seeker

[​IMG]

2. iamwayne

iamwayne New Member

I would not order from SilverTowne again. I ordered 2xPF69 PCGS FS and 2xMS69 NGC 2012 ASE eagles. Shipping was quick, they used UPS and somehow UPS ended up to be USPS.

Problems was with the graded slabs. Milk spots galore! I have ASE proofs with no milk spots that's not even graded so I was shocked.

I called to get a obtain a RMA. After pressing 1 on the option line, the lady ask why I told her the milk spots and it was very disheartening when I saw them. She transferred me to another lady that ask for my zip code and looked my order up. She ask I was returning and I told her. This lady was rude! She raised her voice and got all defensive and tried to over talk me into accepting the coin. I refused, the item did not meet my expectations. She told me silver eagles are like that and us mint released a press statement saying milk spots will appear and it doesn't affect the grade of a coin. I told her I have silver eagle proofs that don't have them and the picture online doesn't even show or mention them. You would be expecting a coin similar to the picture posted. I wanted to return the proofs only but decided to return the whole order, they do not deserve my business.

I decided to take my business to APMEX and order all OGP instead of slabs. Seems like in the FAQ at least they guarantee the quality of the coins sent out. SilverTowne shouldn't have mailed the slabbed coins, the shipping department should have looked at the quality of the slabs and sent them back to PCGS instead of this ordeal.

3. SilverClover

SilverClover New Member

I received this bar today from silvertowne. While it is still silver and silver is silver is not much to look at from the bottom. It looks like two pieces were melter together and possibly reused some old stuff as you can see in the third picture. This is the first hand pour from silvertowne for me with the hand poured bars it's a love hate thing. I like it from the top but underneath just isn't what I expected from previous purchases other places.

Attached Files:

4. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Cold pour. Nothing to worry about.

5. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

I got similar results when I bought a cast bar from them,blowholes and misrun. The logo side of the mold (drag side) is in the bottom of the mold, while the defects are in the open top of the mold (cope side).

'cubed is right, the problem is too low of a pouring temperature. Although bullion is bullion, to me this indicates lack of process control and lax inspection. I have bought cast bars from other suppliers without these defects.

I make a bigger deal about this than others, because my line of work is producing iron castings and I assure you that product like that would never leave my foundry and I recognize shoddy work when I see it.

Ahillock likes this.
  6. The_Head

The_Head Seeker Seeker

Oilfield Laborer
    I suspect they do it on purpose, for looks, to put in a little imperfection in the poured bars.

I have a 50 oz bar from them, and it has some imperfections in it as well.

7. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

I never thought of it that way, but it is obvious that these are a cast product. My main gripe is that based on my many years of industrial experience, is that it costs just as much doing things right, as doing things wrong. The only difference is a management POV that we will do things right and quality matters.

8. The_Head

The_Head Seeker Seeker

Oilfield Laborer
    Yeah it was just a theory. Make it look more "rustic"

Silver is silver though, right?

9. TiKi

TiKi Silver Member Silver Miner

No they do it cause they want to push product out as quick as possible. Sacrificing quality in the process.

Argentium likes this.
  10. stoli

stoli New Member

Placed a small order on 1/6. Delivered 1/10.

11. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

People bitch and moan and cry and wail and bitch again if they don't. Tell me I'm wrong.

It's Bullion!!:vollkommenauf:​

12. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Ordered 20 1oz Silvertowne bars 1/4/14 and received them 1/15/14. I gave them four stars because the amount of time it took to receive them also because the free shipping is really a better deal when ordering smaller quantities. They do take paypal and I consider that a plus as most purchases can be finance 0% for 6 months through bill me later.

13. gold4278

gold4278 Silver Member Silver Miner

Bought a half-sovereign proof online when they had 2 in stock. My other order with them, they shipped out a full sovereign the next day, but this time I didn't hear anything. I called them and they said they overbooked the item. They tried to find me the same item, but couldn't, so I requested a refund (after they tried to sell me a 1/10 oz maple for the same price or something).

14. TiKi

TiKi Silver Member Silver Miner

Like most other dealers Silertowne has now gone to 2 tiered prices. Of course the first price displayed is the cheapest.

Wire: Credit Card or PayPal:

15. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Yeah. However their ebay store still has the wire price from their website as the listed price. Hope they don't change that.

They rarely have much in stock of what I am interested nowadays. Been awhile since I ordered from them now.

16. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anyone else get a sales call from MN last night stating that they knew you were a customer of Silvertowne who they are partnering with and that they want to discuss some great coin deals they have??? Not too impressed that Silvertowne is selling/sharing my info like that.

ppius13 likes this.
  17. Ahillock

Wow really? I did not receive any call. Didn't realize they would sell off customer information like that. Poor taste on their part. :thumbs_down:

That plus lack of inventory most of the time + increasing the pricing on the coins probably means I won't be shopping with them any longer.

*Hope they didn't sell off other private information as well? Name and phone number is bad enough.

18. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

They were always great at the fun show, never bought online.

19. ppius13

ppius13 Seeker Seeker

Yes, I just got a call from Burnsville, Minnesota -- the dreaded Govmint.com.! I immediately called Silvertowne to register a complaint. They admitted that they released my personal information to the third party, but assured me that my account was protected.

How dare they! The sales rep I spoke to at Silvertowne said that they did it so that I could participate in a unique offering on an item that they don't carry. What a bunch of horsesh-t -- and I told her so.

I would encourage anyone who receives a third-party unsolicited phone call from Govmint to call Silvertowne to complain. Silvertowne cannot be trusted with their client's personal information. Now that my name, address and telephone number are in the hands of Govmint.com, there is no telling where it will be circulated. Silvertowne lost a customer today.

20. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Now we know why they had the great deals. They wanted some contact information to sell.
    Another take on the magazine deal.

21. Tinbox

Tinbox YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR! Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I actually purchased once from govmint.com themselves, big mistake! They had rolls of silver eagles for $2 over spot shipped. The entire roll ended up being milk spotted, something I've never run into before with eagles, and on top of that they seem to call me at least once a week. :vollkommenauf:

22. Ahillock

With the recent development of selling customer information and raising price on Paypal orders, they have lost a customer in me. Good luck ST.

23. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Just looked at their bullion prices on silver over 50 bucks, unbelievable.
    http://www.govmint.com/precious-metal/silver-bars-and-ingots.html

Tinbox likes this.
  24. Tinbox

Tinbox YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR! Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Yes their prices are normally ridiculous, I don't know if it was a pricing error or they just wanted some new customers.

25. 97guns

97guns Gold Member Gold Chaser

RETIRED
    has anyone sent in a check for an order, wondering how smooth it went

26. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Aye carumba! Is that in U.S. dollars? Yeah I can see what that is. Calling up senior citizens with scripted lies and scaring them into paying way over market price. Hope they enjoy their riches in this life cause eternity is going to be a a might unpleasant.

27. 97guns

RETIRED
    sent these guys a check for the first time and their check processing is speedy,

placed order on 3/19, sent the check out 3/21, they got the check on 3/24 and shipped today 3/25

28. Ahillock

I'm surprised they didn't hold it for 5 business days.

29. 97guns

RETIRED

i was surprised too, tracking shows movement already

30. Ahillock

Funny thing, I ordered on the 20th, did a wire transfer on the 21st as I figured that would be the quickest method of getting my order shipped. Still haven't received my tracking number. Note to self, I should send a check next time.

31. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    No marketing call from govmint but I got a full color flyer in the mail with Silvertowne written on the outside along with a bunch of other PM writing that need not be on the outside of a piece of mail. I called both Silvertowne and govmint and told them to take me off from their mailing list and that this will not happen again or I will be contacting their local BBB. I recorded the names, date and time I spoke with of each them. I am sure that Silvertowne may be questioning their poor judgement by now.

I did look, it is stated in their privacy policy that they can do this. That however does not make it right in my book.

gringott likes this.
  32. ppius13

ppius13 Seeker Seeker

I received another unsolicited phone call from gov.mint. I am told that Eskimos have 30 words to describe variations of snow. There should be 30 words to describe how I will never do business with Silvertowne again.

33. PhucilliJerry

Huh, I missed 2 calls from 651-365-4797 last week while I was at work, Wednesday and Friday. Just called it back, sure enough, govmint.com. No more Silvertowne for me either.

34. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Just got a giant envelope from Silvertowne that was really for Govmint, with silver and gold pictures and statements all over the outside. Can these people be any stupider or more crass?

Nail in the coffin. They will never see another dime from me no matter what.

Ahillock likes this.
  35. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    I like their trademark bars but they take too long to ship and the premium is roughly the same as small quantity ASE's from Aydin on ebay. They advertise products not in stock and when I received my partial order that's when I find out. They gave me a full refund but it took three or four phone calls to get them to realize the item they failed to ship also had a shipping charge of $11.95 that also needed to be refunded. When I purchase with CC I will do so with Aydin.

36. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    Got mine yesterday. Formal complaint with BOTH Silvertowne and GovMint will be placed this evening with the BBB in their areas. On 03/28/2014 I called and spoke with both of them re: having me taken off from any future mailings. At that time, they told me it would be done. Maybe this will get their attention!

37. PhucilliJerry

I received the same large envelope yesterday. I really liked Silvertowne before this too.

38. stoli

stoli New Member

I just got the big graphic envelope in my mail. First time they sent me this crap.

Just fired of a email to them too.

39. astrodiver

astrodiver New Member

Hello.

This is my first reply on this site. I have placed a dozen orders from Silvertowne over the past few years with absolutely no problems. I really liked their old U.S. coinage "grab bags".
    Unfortunately about a month ago they paired up with GOVTMINT (whoever the hell they are) and it has become a disaster! I have logged 23 phone calls and 2 big colorful mailers
    that just scream "this person is into precious metals!" - I am done with them.

I am not a PM dealer, maybe they figure this is the best business plan for them but it seems a lot of people are turned off by this.

40. 97guns

RETIRED
    the catalogue in the mail or the phone calls do not bother me. i order those catalogs all the time, use them as bathroom reading material. phone calls dont bother me either because i rarely answer the phone, when i do answer and someone asks for me im never home anyways