1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Silvertowne Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by KGMe, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Silvertowne Dealer Ranking

1. One Star

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Two Stars

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Three Stars

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Four Stars

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Five Stars

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

They must have hired Tulving and are using his business model.

2. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

5/5 easy. I took advantage of their 99 cents over spot on 10 count, 1 oz bars and rounds deal that started last week. I ordered on 6/17, package was on my doorstep 6/25, with free shipping. I paid via personal check and they actually processed the check when they received it and actually shipped it when it cleared the bank. I love how they didn't play the delay game with my personal check like other dealers do.

stoli likes this.
  3. louky

When I made my original post rating silvertowne, I didn't realize all the complaints posters here have about calls, junk mail, 3rd party contact, etc. My previous post was my first purchase with them (June 14). I've since made numerous purchases and I've never received one call or anything in the mail other than what I requested (ie silver bullion). For me, I just can't beat their pricing during non sale periods, plus I receive deliveries lightening fast from them due to my proximity. Nothing I hate more than waiting a month to get the silver in my hand and the spot price has since dropped $2. So that is what wins me over with silvertowne, every day pricing, free and fast shipping on their most popular items.

Anyway, my real point of bumping this topic. I posted in the deals thread a while back, but thought it is kind of hidden there and could be more useful here. From my research, here's how to ensure you won't receive any calls or mailers. I never received any previously, but I went ahead and made the request just to be safe.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    gringott and Annie like this.
  4. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I placed an order last week on the downturn in spot and when I called yesterday to find out a status, I was told they are behind in processing orders by a week or two.

5. louky

Sorry to hear that. Not to defend them, I have no skin in the game, but I would imagine everyone is getting back up right now with the price drop. My last silvertowne order was on my door step the 2nd day after purchase. When it came, I was expecting it to be a different order from another dealer I'd been waiting a month on. I'm like, "what the hell, silvertowne already?". I had to double check against my records to make sure which order it was. Of course it was a credit card purchase from one of those too good to be true ebay deals ;) so that sped things up versus waiting on a check to clear.

6. bulloncoins

bulloncoins Silver Member Silver Miner

They took a little too long to ship for my taste. I got it...will not be going back for more direct from them.

7. Usury

Ironically I got a notification of shipment this evening.

8. 97guns

97guns Gold Member Gold Chaser

RETIRED
    ST has been my go to dealer for gold purchases except for apmex on ebay with bonus bucks

their pricing on gold coins is the best around, just cleaned them out of 20 peso's with a $10 premium, premiums on their 100 corona is always under $10

9. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

10. 97guns

RETIRED
    sorry, 50 peso

11. gold4278

gold4278 Silver Member Silver Miner

I think a couple of products for gold at least have great premiums compared to competitors (Sovereigns, 20 pesos), but their other products do not compete well.

12. 97guns

RETIRED
    noticed their silver premiums have come down, .75 over on a 1000oz

13. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

Placed my first order with ST on 10/1. Mailed them a check, which cleared on 10/6. So far, I'm not impressed with their slow shipping.

14. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

UPDATE....I emailed them today. My order was placed 10/1, my check cleared 10/6. It's now 7 days later. I asked when my order might be shipped. Their reply was:

We have received your order and it is in the process of being fulfilled. Due to the high demand for silver we have had, there has been a slight delay in shipping. As soon as your silver is available, it will be shipped and you will get a shipping notice. We are sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your business.

Translation:
    Thank you for allowing us to hold your money. We are selling silver that we may not yet have on hand. Please send us more money so that we might float it too.

A better dealer might post on their website that orders will be delayed. They might also post if items are out of stock.

Never again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  15. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

Silly me...I thought I'd give Silvertowne another chance. I ordered some more silver on 10/31. My check cleared 11/5.

I emailed them 11/12, asking about my order. I received the same ??boilerplate?? response about there being a delay in shipping. hey shipped my order later that day.

Around 5PM, I checked my email and saw a UPS shipping notification from them. My metal was to be here today. Unfortunately, it seems that Silvertowne can't even address a package correctly. The UPS tracking shows that it was shipped to an oddball address in my city, but not anything close to my street address.

Rather than doing a shipment address change through UPS, they're having the package returned to them, then hopefully sent to my correct address.

Inefficiency and incompetence at its finest.

One star.

16. Annie

Annie Silver Member Silver Miner

Full time scooter trash.
    JJ, I think you are overreacting. The typical process time with most discount dealers Is 4-5 days after receiving funds. The option is to buy from bgasc or the like and pay a premium for fast processing.

****5 STARS**** I have received 4 orders from them in the past 60 days.

17. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

My one star rating was not just due to their order processing time. They not only took 7 days, but could not ship my order to the correct address. When I pointed out their error, rather than handle it in a way that would get me my order today or tomorrow, they take the "long way around." Inefficient & incompetent.

18. 97guns

RETIRED
    i buy from these guys often and see they have a shipping delay and its posted that they are taking longer right now.

their check processing and shipping is the quickest service that ive used and i use a lot
    when they are under normal shipping times they receive my check and ship the very next day

19. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

I had good luck with Silvertowne at major coin shows. I was able to sell rare numismatic coins to Heritage Auctions, get a check, and then sign it over to Silvertowne in exchange for bullion coins. It's tougher to do that now.

20. plata_oro

plata_oro Seeker Seeker

IT / Product Manager
    Yeah I got one of those mailers today too. I didn't realize that Silvertowne was behind this.

This is definitely a breach of my privacy. I will write the return address on the mailer first but will contact Silvertowne too. This has to stop!

21. 97guns

RETIRED
    these guys really raised the premiums on their gold across the board.
    i was buying stuff like kangaroo, 100 corona and 50 peso for $9-$12 over melt, now they are like $60

22. Usury

They were giving away Gold Maple Leafs below spot in the recent 4X ebay bux offering if you're into buying via ebay. But yeah, their pricing on website hasn't been anything great on gold that I've seen lately. I did get some branded silver bars at a decent price a month or two back--took FOREVER to ship due to check hold, but finally arrived and look good. FWIW, I'm supposed to get a delivery today on the GML purchase via ebay, which I think is precent decent/fast turnaround.

23. Usury

That's disturbing, but I haven't seen any sign of this as of yet. Hopefully I don't...

24. Usury

Completed several eBay deals with them this month. All shipped lightning fast and as advertised. I haven't seen any nefarious advertising so far either...

25. Smokeymike

Smokeymike New Member

Comparing prices it's interesting that you can buy Silvertowne bars much cheaper from other dealers than from Silvertowne itself! Anyone else notice this phenomenon?