1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Situational Awareness

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by searcher, Jan 6, 2015.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

[h=1]5 Drills For Situational Awareness[/h]March 21, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

[​IMG]

Situational awareness
    is being aware of one’s surroundings and identifying potential threats and dangerous situations.
    Situational awareness is more of a mindset than a tangible hands-on skill.
    Situational awareness can be applied by anyone with the resolve to do so.

To help you practice, here are a few drills that you can do to hone your mindset…

First though, to establish a mindset of situational awareness one must first recognize that threats do exist. If someone is in denial of the potential for a threat, that person’s chances of recognizing an emerging threat quickly enough – and avoiding it – will be highly unlikely. Bad things do happen.

One must also be of the mindset to take responsibility for one’s own security. The ‘authorities’ cannot be everywhere (and we don’t want them everywhere) and cannot stop every potential criminal action. People need to look out for themselves.

The situational awareness mindset also includes trusting your “gut” or instinct. Often a person’s subconscious can notice subtle signs of danger that the conscious mind has difficulty quantifying or articulating. Have you ever suddenly had that feeling of danger without being able to put your finger on it – so to speak? Ignoring such feelings can lead to serious trouble.

Practicing situational awareness requires discipline and is the conscious effort required to pay attention to your surroundings and gut feelings to surrounding events even while you are busy and distracted – because when you are distracted even obvious eminent danger or hostility can go unnoticed. Individuals need to learn to be observant even while doing other things.

Here are a few drills that you can do to improve your situational awareness skills.

1. Identify all the exits when you enter a building.

2. Count the number of people in a restaurant, subway or train car.

3. Note which cars take the same turns in traffic.

4. Take a look at the people around you and attempt to figure out their stories. Imagine what they do for a living, their mood, what they are focused on and what it appears they are preparing to do, based merely on observation.

5. Next time you’re in a parking lot, look for – and count – the number of cars with people sitting in them, whether you’re walking to the storefront, or coming back to your car, or even driving through.

Engaging in such simple situational-awareness drills will train a person’s mind to be aware of these things almost subconsciously when the person is in a relaxed state of awareness.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/5-drills-for-situational-awareness/

2. searcher

[h=1]3 More Drills To Practice Situational Awareness[/h]January 6, 2015, by Ken Jorgustin

[​IMG]

Situational awareness is key to personal security. While its definition goes beyond just this realm, it can be summed up by this very basic concept – knowing what’s going on around you.

It sounds simple enough, and you may think that you’ve got it or that you are aware of what’s happening around you, but in reality most people are not aware as they should be. And in fact, while observing those in our modern world today – it appears that a great many of them are entirely unaware.

Here are three ‘drills’ to practice your own situational awareness:

Earlier, I gave you 5 drills to practice. You might want to try them too [​IMG]

[h=2]Use Your Peripheral Vision[/h]We all have peripheral vision, but what we see there is often ignored while we ‘tunnel vision’ what’s directly in front of us. When you are out in public it is especially important to ‘see’ with your peripheral vision. Practice looking ahead (as you normally would) but while doing so – mentally notice what’s in your peripheral. You can do this even while talking with someone. Monitoring a wider field of vision will enable you to see (or be more aware) of anything which may be out of the ordinary.

[h=2]Use Reflective Surfaces[/h]When you are walking in an area where there are windows along the side (e.g. walking downtown, etc..) practice glancing at these reflective surfaces to see what’s going on behind you and areas which you cannot see while walking forward.

[h=2]Visualize[/h]No matter where you are, it’s good practice to visualize a threat or emergency, and figure out what you would do – right then. The more scenarios you practice, the more mentally prepared you will be for the ‘real deal’.

If you’re interested in more on situational awareness, here are more articles I’ve written on the subject.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/3-more-drills-to-practice-situational-awareness/

xhomerx10, Treetop, D-FENZ and 2 others like this.
  3. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Sit on the ground behind a tree in cougar country and blow on a call that sounds like an elk in distress.

^^^^
    That'll enhance it guarantied.

historyrepete and ttazzman like this.
  4. searcher

:thumbs_up:..................lol :beerglass:

5. searcher

[h=2]Thursday, January 8, 2015[/h][h=3]Are You Prepared for a Mass Shooting at Work?[/h]

A few decades ago, a mass shooting was a rare event. These days it is happening with more and more frequency. Yesterday's mass shooting in Paris is the most recent even to send the media into a frenzy and the general public into a minor panic.

I say minor because no one ever thinks such a thing will happen to them. Yes, we know that it could happen but really, what are the odds? Whether the shooter is a mentally ill person targeting children at school or religious terrorists striking in such a way as to receive the most media coverage possible, there is a very, very slight possibility that such a thing could happen to you. Are you prepared?

Now I won't say that the office workers targeted in Paris weren't prepared--one of the people targeted even had his own police guard because there had been threats on his life and if you aren't even safe with someone guarding you then, well, there isn't much that I can say that would be of use. However, for the average person, there are some things that can be done to prepare for such a scenario:

• Always be on alert. Be aware of your situation--where you are, who is around you, what is happening. Most people wander around on auto pilot and someone could be pulling out at Uzi and the people walking by wouldn't even take notice of such a thing.

• Be inconsistent. Obviously this is easier for some people than others but being consistently inconsistent in your schedule and activities makes you, specifically, a more difficult target.

• Make sure your workplace has a security plan. The more comprehensive the plan, the better.

• Carry a concealed firearm and know how to use it. When it comes down to it, the (second) best response to someone shooting at you is for you to be able to shoot back.

• I say that shooting back is the second best response because, if possible, your best response to an active shooter situation is for you to be able to escape immediately from the area. Sometimes this is possible, sometimes it isn't, but by the time you get into a firefight, it's iffy if you will even survive such a confrontation.

• Practice multiple responses to a mass shooter in your home/office/work area/etc. Where would you hide? How many ways could you escape? Is there cover and concealment if you do need to take up a defensive shooting position?

• If you are going to carry a firearm is it licensed? Are you licensed to carry a concealed weapon? Do you have extensive training not only the basics of using a firearm but using it in a tactical situation? Do you practice tactical shooting on a regular basis?

• Are you in good physical condition? You can't run away from an active shooter if you can barely walk a block without having to stop and catch your breath. You can't hide in certain advantageous places if you can't even squat down in a hidey hole without throwing out your back. Plus, if you need to make a last ditch effort at saving yourself by physically attacking your attacker, the better condition you are in, the slightly better your chances are of being successful at this.

• Always attempt to have multiple layers of security around you. In the same way you want multiple layers of security at your home (a perimeter fence around your property, a couple of dogs in the yard, reinforced doors and locks on your home, an interior and exterior security system in your home, a safe room in your home), you want the same emphasis on multiple layers of security at work if possible (a guarded gate to get into the facility, a secure way to enter and exit the facility itself, securable interior spaces, etc). Obviously this isn't possible in all types of employment scenarios, especially if you work with the public.

And here are a few more resources you should check out to prepare for such a scenario:

The bottom line is that anytime there is a workplace or school shooting, people aren't prepared because, psychologically, no one thinks it will happen to them. Also, due to the randomness of such a situation, there is no step-by-step guide that can be given to you that says "if you follow this plan, you will be able to save yourself." Each active shooter situation will be different necessitating variable responses depending on what is happening on a minute-by-minute basis. A little practice and preparation on your part, however, can only be a positive thing in preparing you for the remote possibility of such an incident occurring at your workplace.

http://codenameinsight.blogspot.com...aign=Feed:+blogspot/ubFKh+(Code+Name+Insight)

6. searcher

Situational Awareness- Urban Survival- Black Scout Tutorials

[video=youtube_share;W_Xa35An7ig]http://youtu.be/W_Xa35An7ig[/video]

http://youtu.be/W_Xa35An7ig

Published on Nov 29, 2013

This episode discusses situational awareness and how to develop it.This is a crucial aspect of Urban Survival. I will also go over an experience I had that changed my mindset toward it. Please subscribe, like, and share! Thanks for watching.

7. Argentsum

Argentsum Gold Member Gold Chaser

The flip side to situational awareness is just as important.

You can't stay in condition yellow all of the time.

Figure out when/where you can relax and do so as opportunity allows.

Getting enough sleep and exercise will help you stay frosty.

8. 97guns

97guns Gold Member Gold Chaser

RETIRED
    there was a lady in my city that got knocked out and purse taken, she was 71 years old and has been in the hospital for a week now.

i am always on the lookout for a threat, today i took my mom shopping and told her she needs to be aware of here surroundings, most times
    she goes out its with me

does a gazelle grazing on the african plains ever let his guard down?

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

If you are in a bagel shop and two people with beards and AK47s run in, you should think that something is up.

10. dirt to oil

dirt to oil Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

pipe trades
    glad I live where I do , no need to keep your guard up , or even to lock your door when you are out

mtnclimberjim and pitw like this.
  11. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

All good advice, straight out of DOS anti-kidnapping training. It was good training. Second advice, ditch the personal electronic devices. My 5 year old flip phone stays " off" more than it does on, kids today will never see it coming. Other tips, walk on the left side of the street, do not wash your car, when walking in a crowd, walk slow.

searcher likes this.
  12. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    searcher,
    These are all good things to occasionally review and practice. Complacency can kill.

Someone told me a long time ago in 2002, "You can be a wolf or you can be part of the sheep"
    then he added, while pointing his finger into my chest and looking me in eye, "Who are you?".
    I decided from that day on I was a wolf. I'm not saying ever go looking for trouble, No.
    Just go about your life in a calm collected manner but always be ready for when TSHTF.
    Carry everyday. You'll always regret that one time you don't.

Edit: Last night, Monday Jan 19th, my wife and I sat down an streamed "American Sniper". In it was a scene of the family of Chris Kyle sitting
    at the dinner table when he was a young boy. He father was explaining this exact story.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    REO 54 and searcher like this.
  13. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Dirt to oil,
    You've obviously been around long enough, with that number of posts, to not be naïve. No offense. I personally hope that beautiful Canada always stays pristine with low crime but things can change. When they do change they tend to change fast. A big false flag, heaven forbid, or a couple nasty elections and you can have a political turn around anywhere. I think what searcher is saying is to just be ahead of the curve if they do.
    Peace.
    F2G

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    searcher likes this.
  14. searcher

Personal Safety While in Crowds or Traveling

Posted on January 9, 2015 by admin

[​IMG]

I like to travel and go out occasional, but at the same time, I am concerned about personal safety. So I always take a few minimal precautions. Part of this comes from spending time in both law enforcement and the fire service. Now I don’t travel outside of the US other than Canada, so there may be additional factors you want to consider if you are traveling overseas.

Many years ago, I can remember discussing personal safety in the firehouse. I knew many firemen that would not stay in a hotel room that was over 5 stories, because that was the maximum height that an aerial ladder would reach. When I check into a motel or hotel, one of the first things that I always do is locate the fire exits that are nearest my room. I pay attention to where they are, so that I could find my way out while crawling in a dark and smoky environment. This might mean remembering something like that the exit is five doors to the left.

The same thing in restaurants, theaters and other large public buildings, I always know of at least one way out and preferably more. Try to sit near emergency exits if given the choice. This can help you in case of either a fire, explosion, active shooter situation or a terrorist attack and is probably one of the most important things you can do for your personal safety.

Guidelines to follow that provide you, with a degree of personal safety.

1.Stay out of bad neighborhoods, I know several people who have had trouble because they got lost and ended up in poor areas. Make sure you know where you are going.

2.Pay attention to the crowd around you avoid sketchy looking people.

3.Wear clothing that does not attract a lot of attention,

4.Don’t look like tourists, no camera around your neck.

5.Don’t flash money around, or wear expensive jewelry.

6.Remember there is safety in numbers don’t travel alone.

7.Be careful of strangers; don’t give out too much information.

8.When in conversation with someone you do trust, be aware of people around you who may be listening.

9.If someone knocks at your hotel room door, don’t open it until you can verify their identity.

10.When traffic slows, lock your doors and close the windows of the car.

11.Keep your travel plans, including accommodation details, to yourself.

12.Ask your hotel or motel manager for advice on ‘safe’ versus ‘unsafe’ local areas.

13.Use ATMs during the day, when there are people around.

14.At the airport, watch for your suitcase as it appears on the carousel. Don’t give someone else a chance to get your luggage.

15.Be careful where you park your car, try and park in a well-lit, busy area.

16.Use common sense (which I am beginning to think is uncommon)

If a terrorist action or an active shooter situation occurs, you have options

■Evacuate; use one of the exits you observed earlier.

■Hide, avoid being seen by the perpetrators, don’t forget to turn the sounds off on your cell phones.

■As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down. When the shooter is at close range and you cannot flee, your chance of survival is much greater if you try to incapacitate them

These guidelines are by no means complete. There are many more areas that can be discussed, but even following just these few steps can improve your personal safety.

Howard

http://preparednessadvice.com/security/personal-safety-crowds-traveling/

15. argentos

argentos Former Boat Owner Gold Chaser

Retired
    Excellent advice.

I have never been in a real building fire, but many years ago, I attended a course in London. It was so long ago that I cannot remember what it was about.

We were sent downstairs to a classroom at the back of the building, one floor below street level. The instructor said that he would be back in 5 minutes and left. Soon afterwards the fire alarm went off. We sat around looking at one another for yonks. Eventually somebody said it might be a real alarm, so we traipsed back along the corridor we had arrived by, then up the stairs to street level where we were met by the instructor.

The alarm stopped ringing and the instructor sent us back down, where he pointed out a door, clearly marked "Emergency Exit", right next to the classroom door. That door opened directly onto another street behind, the building being on a slope.

I learned two lessons from that:
    1) Follow the advice given in the OP and locate the nearest fire exits on arrival.
    2) Leave immediately an alarm sounds.

Ragnarok and searcher like this.
  16. searcher

Situational Awareness, Don't Get Killed . WeaponsEducation

[video=youtube_share;rdKz1lIQ36A]http://youtu.be/rdKz1lIQ36A[/video]

http://youtu.be/rdKz1lIQ36A

Published on Oct 30, 2013

17. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Where I learned Situational Awareness, was in the Army. You went to another state for training or dropped in a foreign country on deployments. You had to find out right there and then, if the local were hostile. I learned and still do, to adapt to the local culture. Who not to pi$$ off, who to stay away from and who to look out for.

One of the mistakes, I saw fellow military members make stateside, was to go to the local taverns, without finding out what the local populace was. Granted, some taverns outside military installations were populated by active and retired military, some were not. Gangs and the like hang out at local taverns. Be careful which ones to frequent and never go alone.

When you arrive at a new place, getting an haircut from the local barber helps. You get the "style" the local guys have. If 10 men are in a place and your haircut looks different than the other 9, you look like an outsider.

Assimilating in the local culture is important. If you look out of place, you can be a target, because of that.

searcher likes this.
  18. searcher

:thumbs_up:...........................:beerglass:

Mtnman started a thread on this subject a while ago called The Grey Man Concept. If anyone is interested you can read it here http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthread.php?41787-The-Grey-Man-Concept

19. searcher

20. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    I'm not a sheep, not a wolf, I'M A SHEEPDOG

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

(From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

"Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself.

The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?"

- William J. Bennett

In a lecture to the United States Naval Academy
    November 24, 1997

One Vietnam veteran, an old retired colonel, once said this to me: “Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident.” This is true.

Remember, the murder rate is six per 100,000 per year, and the aggravated assault rate is four per 1,000 per year. What this means is that the vast majority of Americans are not inclined to hurt one another.

Some estimates say that two million Americans are victims of violent crimes every year, a tragic, staggering number, perhaps an all-time record rate of violent crime. But there are almost 300 million Americans, which means that the odds of being a victim of violent crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any given year. Furthermore, since many violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, the actual number of violent citizens is considerably less than two million.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the situation: We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin’s egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful. For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

“Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.” Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

The gift of aggression
    "What goes on around you... compares little with what goes on inside you."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warriors.

One career police officer wrote to me about this after attending one of my Bulletproof Mind training sessions:

"I want to say thank you for finally shedding some light on why it is that I can do what I do. I always knew why I did it. I love my [citizens], even the bad ones, and had a talent that I could return to my community. I just couldn’t put my finger on why I could wade through the chaos, the gore, the sadness, if given a chance try to make it all better, and walk right out the other side."

Let me expand on this old soldier’s excellent model of the sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. We know that the sheep live in denial; that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids’ schools. But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid’s school. Our children are dozens of times more likely to be killed, and thousands of times more likely to be seriously injured, by school violence than by school fires, but the sheep’s only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their children is just too hard, so they choose the path of denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog. '

As Kipling said in his poem about “Tommy” the British soldier:
    While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

The students, the victims, at Columbine High School were big, tough high school students, and under ordinary circumstances they would not have had the time of day for a police officer. They were not bad kids; they just had nothing to say to a cop. When the school was under attack, however, and SWAT teams were clearing the rooms and hallways, the officers had to physically peel those clinging, sobbing kids off of them. This is how the little lambs feel about their sheepdog when the wolf is at the door. Look at what happened after September 11, 2001, when the wolf pounded hard on the door. Remember how America, more than ever before, felt differently about their law enforcement officers and military personnel? Remember how many times you heard the word hero?

Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be. Also understand that a sheepdog is a funny critter: He is always sniffing around out on the perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go bump in the night, and yearning for a righteous battle. That is, the young sheepdogs yearn for a righteous battle. The old sheepdogs are a little older and wiser, but they move to the sound of the guns when needed right along with the young ones.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep, that is, most citizens in America said, “Thank God I wasn’t on one of those planes.”

The sheepdogs, the warriors, said, “Dear God, I wish I could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have made a difference.” When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.

While there is nothing morally superior about the sheepdog, the warrior, he does have one real advantage. Only one. He is able to survive and thrive in an environment that destroys 98 percent of the population.

There was research conducted a few years ago with individuals convicted of violent crimes. These cons were in prison for serious, predatory acts of violence: assaults, murders and killing law enforcement officers. The vast majority said that they specifically targeted victims by body language: slumped walk, passive behavior and lack of awareness. They chose their victims like big cats do in Africa, when they select one out of the herd that is least able to protect itself.

However, when there were cues given by potential victims that indicated they would not go easily, the cons said that they would walk away. If the cons sensed that the target was a "counter-predator," that is, a sheepdog, they would leave him alone unless there was no other choice but to engage.

One police officer told me that he rode a commuter train to work each day. One day, as was his usual, he was standing in the crowded car, dressed in blue jeans, T-shirt and jacket, holding onto a pole and reading a paperback. At one of the stops, two street toughs boarded, shouting and cursing and doing every obnoxious thing possible to intimidate the other riders. The officer continued to read his book, though he kept a watchful eye on the two punks as they strolled along the aisle making comments to female passengers, and banging shoulders with men as they passed.

As they approached the officer, he lowered his novel and made eye contact with them. “You got a problem, man?” one of the IQ-challenged punks asked. “You think you’re tough, or somethin’?” the other asked, obviously offended that this one was not shirking away from them.

“As a matter of fact, I am tough,” the officer said, calmly and with a steady gaze.

The two looked at him for a long moment, and then without saying a word, turned and moved back down the aisle to continue their taunting of the other passengers, the sheep.

Some people may be destined to be sheep and others might be genetically primed to be wolves or sheepdogs. But I believe that most people can choose which one they want to be, and I’m proud to say that more and more Americans are choosing to become sheepdogs.

Seven months after the attack on September 11, 2001, Todd Beamer was honored in his hometown of Cranbury, New Jersey. Todd, as you recall, was the man on Flight 93 over Pennsylvania who called on his cell phone to alert an operator from United Airlines about the hijacking. When he learned of the other three passenger planes that had been used as weapons, Todd dropped his phone and uttered the words, “Let’s roll,” which authorities believe was a signal to the other passengers to confront the terrorist hijackers. In one hour, a transformation occurred among the passengers--athletes, business people and parents--from sheep to sheepdogs and together they fought the wolves, ultimately saving an unknown number of lives on the ground.

“Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself after that?”

"here is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."
    - Edmund Burke

Reflections on the Revolution in France
    Here is the point I like to emphasize, especially to the thousands of police officers and soldiers I speak to each year. In nature the sheep, real sheep, are born as sheep. Sheepdogs are born that way, and so are wolves. They didn’t have a choice. But you are not a critter. As a human being, you can be whatever you want to be. It is a conscious, moral decision.

If you want to be a sheep, then you can be a sheep and that is okay, but you must understand the price you pay. When the wolf comes, you and your loved ones are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there to protect you. If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest, safety, trust or love. But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.

For example, many officers carry their weapons in church. They are well concealed in ankle holsters, shoulder holsters or inside-the-belt holsters tucked into the small of their backs. Anytime you go to some form of religious service, there is a very good chance that a police officer in your congregation is carrying. You will never know if there is such an individual in your place of worship, until the wolf appears to slaughter you and your loved ones.

I was training a group of police officers in Texas, and during the break, one officer asked his friend if he carried his weapon in church. The other cop replied, “I will never be caught without my gun in church.” I asked why he felt so strongly about this, and he told me about a police officer he knew who was at a church massacre in Ft. Worth, Texas, in 1999. In that incident, a mentally deranged individual came into the church and opened fire, gunning down 14 people. He said that officer believed he could have saved every life that day if he had been carrying his gun. His own son was shot, and all he could do was throw himself on the boy’s body and wait to die. That cop looked me in the eye and said, “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself after that?”

Some individuals would be horrified if they knew this police officer was carrying a weapon in church. They might call him paranoid and would probably scorn him. Yet these same individuals would be enraged and would call for “heads to roll” if they found out that the airbags in their cars were defective, or that the fire extinguisher and fire sprinklers in their kids’ school did not work. They can accept the fact that fires and traffic accidents can happen and that there must be safeguards against them. Their only response to the wolf, though, is denial, and all too often their response to the sheepdog is scorn and disdain. But the sheepdog quietly asks himself, “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

The warrior must cleanse denial from his thinking. Coach Bob Lindsey, a renowned law enforcement trainer, says that warriors must practice “when/then” thinking, not “if/when.” Instead of saying,“If it happens then I will take action,” the warrior says, “When it happens then I will be ready.”

It is denial that turns people into sheep. Sheep are psychologically destroyed by combat because their only defense is denial, which is counterproductive and destructive, resulting in fear, helplessness and horror when the wolf shows up.

Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.

Chuck Yeager, the famous test pilot and first man to fly faster than the speed of sound, says that he knew he could die. There was no denial for him. He did not allow himself the luxury of denial. This acceptance of reality can cause fear, but it is a healthy, controlled fear that will keep you alive:

"I was always afraid of dying. Always. It was my fear that made me learn everything I could about my airplane and my emergency equipment, and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit."
    - Brigadier General Chuck Yeager
    Yeager, An Autobiography

Gavin de Becker puts it like this in Fear Less, his superb post-9/11 book, which should be required reading for anyone trying to come to terms with our current world situation:

"..denial can be seductive, but it has an insidious side effect. For all the peace of mind deniers think they get by saying it isn’t so, the fall they take when faced with new violence is all the more unsettling. Denial is a save-now-pay-later scheme, a contract written entirely in small print, for in the long run, the denying person knows the truth on some level."

And so the warrior must strive to confront denial in all aspects of his life, and prepare himself for the day when evil comes.

If you are a warrior who is legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today. No one can be “on” 24/7 for a lifetime. Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.”

This business of being a sheep or a sheepdog is not a yes-no dichotomy. It is not an all-or-nothing, either-or choice. It is a matter of degrees, a continuum. On one end is an abject, head-in-the-grass sheep and on the other end is the ultimate warrior. Few people exist completely on one end or the other. Most of us live somewhere in between. Since 9-11 almost everyone in America took a step up that continuum, away from denial. The sheep took a few steps toward accepting and appreciating their warriors, and the warriors started taking their job more seriously. The degree to which you move up that continuum, away from sheephood and denial, is the degree to which you and your loved ones will survive, physically and psychologically at your moment of truth.

http://southwestshootingauthority.com/1775255.html

21. searcher

Re: I'm not a sheep, not a wolf, I'M A SHEEPDOG

[h=1]3 Types Of Thieves Preppers Should Be Planning For[/h]
    January 21, 2015

[​IMG]

The purpose of this article is to discuss the Human threat to your retreat location. This Human threat can take on multiple modes, some very dangerous to your safety and others not so much. The trick, of course, is figuring out the nature of each and every encounter while you can still affect the outcome.

Much like playing in a Role-Playing-Game (RPG), you won’t know the nature of an encounter until you’re in it. Will you benefit from it? Will you be in danger because of it? What type of benefit might you obtain or what threat might you face? There is no way of knowing in advance, and every encounter carries some degree of risk. With a RPG such things are decided by a roll of dice. With real life things are decided by the minds and morals of men, though some might consider the “fickle finger of fate” in the mix as well.

Note: A RPG, such as Twilight 2000, is an excellent way to test your defensive concepts in a fairly realistic manner without having to do a full exercise with all your people as well as someone to stand in for your opponents etc. Use the RPG environment to get an idea of how many attackers a specific defense can hold against, how weapons variations can make a difference to both attackers and defenders, as well as how the introduction of other “variables” might affect things.

What kinds of threats are we talking about? I’ll start with what I refer to as two-legged Locusts (or 2LLs for short). These are people who will, for whatever reason, wander across the landscape much like a swarm of Locusts. These people will consume everything in their path, only pausing when they stumble across a well-stocked area, and then only until they’ve eaten everything available in that place. Bear in mind that while the amount of food in a place will govern how long they stay, they will likely strip most places of everything else of use or value while they are at it. Some Preppers refer to this threat as the “golden horde” which is also an apt describer of them since they will almost certainly strip the land much as the Mongol Horde did in ancient times. Why might people leave their homes to become 2LLs? They may elect to leave their home area due to food shortages, encroaching threats, or similar. Alternately they may have been physically forced from their homes. Why they ended up as 2LL is immaterial, the fact that they are is all that matters to the people they run into. The good news is that most of this type of threat won’t be very organized, nor will they have much tactical skill. Their most common approach will be what’s known as “hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle” AKA the well-known frontal assault. No real finesse, just the equivalent of a bum rush. Some of these might exhibit some organization, but it won’t be much or they’d be organized enough to stay in an area and homestead it. This is also the group I think of when people talk about zombies, as I expect these will have very similar results to a “zombie apocalypse”. Sure, the 2LLs won’t eat your brains (I hope), but whether they kill you to get to your food or devour what was going to keep you alive the end result is the same. This type of threat may be somewhat tolerant of casualties, meaning that a few casualties may not convince these people to pass your retreat up. In fact, if they are desperate enough, it may take substantial casualties inflicted on the 2LL before they will leave you alone.

The next group of concern is what I call raiders. These will be more organized than the 2LLs, and in many cases far more violent. While these may be nomadic or operate from a fixed base, I see these as different from the 2LLs because their attacks will be more hit and run or grab and go in nature. In other words these threats will be of shorter duration and typically very specific in their objectives. I expect that this threat will be far less tolerant of casualties than the 2LL, in fact I suspect if they encounter anything resembling a well-organized defense they will avoid it and focus their sights on easier prey. Of course, much depends on the “prize” they anticipate from the target of their attention. The more they want what a specific target location has, the more willingly they will accept casualties. Much also depends on the nature of the raiders themselves and how they came to be raiders. I expect many raider groups will grow from motorcycle clubs (or gangs if you prefer), though they could develop from a variety of other groups as well. I expect that the ones from clubs made up of folks who like to ride to be less violent and more opportunistic in nature. I anticipate that those made up of “outlaw” club chapters (Hell’s Angels and similar) will be far more violent in every aspect of their activities. Raiders will, for the most part, be highly mobile and heavily armed. These will be the “run and gun” threats for most folks after TSHTF. Note: A Raider group may be under the direction or control of an Overlord, see below.

>Editors Note: If you are concerned about facing this third threat, then I’d highly encourage you to pick up a copy of our DVD that goes beyond weapon handling, and focuses on teaching you how to defend your homestead or property with a battle buddy. You can learn more about that DVD via this link:
    Battle Buddy Tactics For Preppers

The most serious threat to Preppers is what I’ll call Warlords or Overlords. The basic concept resembles a feudal system, where a person in a position of authority provides protection or control over other people for a percentage of whatever they have or produce. In Medieval times the person in charge would have belonged to the nobility and have knights as well as men-at-arms to enforce their will and protect their holdings. In modern times the person who ends up “in charge” of a given area following TEOTWAWKI might be the County Sheriff (as they already wield much power in their county), some other “elected official”, the patriarch (or matriarch) of a wealthy family, the owner of the largest employer in the area, etc. The “men-at-arms” could be local law enforcement, members of various “clubs”, or a local militia. The major threat to Preppers would arise if the Overlord sees them as a threat, though confiscation of weapons and/or supplies would also pose a threat to them. Secondary concerns would include things like requirements for Prepper group members to provide labor, services, or taxes as well as limitations to the group’s ability to trade etc. The severity of these threats will be based on 2 considerations; the personality of the Overlord (tyrannical, domineering, paranoid, charismatic, benevolent, etc.) and the severity of the SHTF situation that led to the current status.

There are other potential threats for Preppers following TEOTWAWKI, ranging from neighbor issues to assorted smaller groups approaching the retreat. These should not be discounted or ignored. But they will be minor in comparison to the 2LL, Raiders, or Overlords. Dealing with any of these dictates 24X7X365 vigilance for as long as ROL (Rule of Law) is not in force and the maintenance of a low profile in general. How you deal with these threats will be based on the size comparison between your group and the threat group and the specifics of the situation you find yourself in. Good luck!

http://theprepperproject.com/3-types-thieves-preppers-plan/

22. searcher

Re: I'm not a sheep, not a wolf, I'M A SHEEPDOG

A prudent man forsees evil and hides himself..............

One of Ferfal's best:

Predictions and Advice for 2015

[video=youtube_share;QRn8ZtquzRg]http://youtu.be/QRn8ZtquzRg[/video]

http://youtu.be/QRn8ZtquzRg

Published on Jan 25, 2015

My Two Books In Amazon!!

"Bugging Out And Relocating"
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482...
    "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse"
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/9870563457?t......

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com
    http://www.ferfal.blogspot.com

23. searcher

Be The Gray Man, by M.F.

January 27, 2015 - 5:41 am

Blending In for Survival

One of the lesser-discussed survival topics, even among preppers, is the eventual need to go out into what’s left of the world after the fan turns brown. Most preppers focus on making preparations to survive the onslaught of unforeseeable calamities that are more than likely heading our way in the near future. While none of us can say for sure what exactly will happen to bring on a survival situation, we are all pretty sure that something wicked this way comes. Even non-preppers can “feel” that something is wrong. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the world has changed drastically in the last 15 years or so. The evidence is all around us. Strange weather patterns have emerged and are now the norm. The threat of terrorism, both real and contrived, is always lurking around the corner. The worlds’ financial markets are a mess of lies upon lies that will have to end at some point. Bubbles within bubbles comprise the whole of the stock markets, and financial collapse is a certainty that looms over us like a giant cloud. Racial and religious tensions, which are promoted by our so-called leaders, have escalated to a near boiling point. Talk of a third world war is now commonplace, as the United States or at least what used to be the United States, seems set on pushing Russia towards outright conflict, and let’s not even talk of all the stuff happening in space. The threats are at an all-time high. With so many possible causes of disaster facing the population of this planet, you’d be crazy not to be prepared to survive it. However, what happens once you make it past the initial phase of the chaos? What happens when you are a year and a half into survival mode and the beans and rice are running low? How do you get by when you no longer have all the necessities stocked neatly on the shelves in your bunker or bug out location? You will have to return to the world you left behind and scavenge for supplies, like those who did not prepare. The good news is that you will have less competition than you would in the early days of the chaos, but the bad news is that when you go out into this newly devastated world, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Picture the people who have managed to survive on less than nothing for the last year and a half while you were eating MREs and reading the classics. These people will look vastly different from you, or rather you will look vastly different from them. This will be problematic. People will be so desperate, and their survival skills will be so sharp that they will spot you coming a mile away with your clean clothes and your extra body fat. Who knows what these depraved souls will be willing to do in order to get a proper meal or just to find any measure of relief from their daily struggle to live. They may follow you back to your camp or shelter and attack you for what you have. They may try to rob you of those nice new boots you are wearing. They might even try to cook you up and dine on your meaty remains. It has happened many times in the past and will happen again in the future. Human nature forces you to do what you have to do in order to live. As ugly as some of it may be, the will to live is stronger than the will to do what’s right. Even the best of us can succumb to hunger, thirst, and hopelessness. I don’t even want to think of what the worst of us will be like. In today’s world of plenty, we slaughter each other wholesale for petty reasons that in no way effect our own survival. Think what mankind will do when every second of every day may be the last. That is a scary world– a world where you don’t want to stick out or be noticed but rather to blend in and seem just as desperate as the next man.

In today’s society we are obsessed with appearance only for the sake of vanity. In the world of tomorrow, appearance may become a matter of life and death. Moreover, it may not only get you killed but may get those around you killed as well. If you come out into this new world with clean clothes and a “newish” backpack, you will certainly draw the attention of those who are barely making it. They will resent you for being prepared and for not suffering as they have. They will want your food, shelter, ammo, socks, and even your women and children. They will be more desperate than anything you have ever seen or heard of. They will try anything to ease their suffering, and you will look like a nicely-wrapped Christmas present to them.

This is why you have to be the gray man. You have to blend in with the masses, and you need to look and seem as desperate and hopeless as they are. There are many facets to accomplishing this task, and you will need to master this concept, if you intend to live.

This means you need to start thinking about it now and prepare for it like you would anything else.

Where to Begin

The obvious starting point is appearance, as we have been discussing appearance from the beginning of this article. However it won’t end there, but we will keep the cart behind the horse, where it belongs, and start with an old set of clothes. The older and more drab colored and worn out, the better. Head to toe, you need to look ragged and bland. Old boots that have seen better days is a good place to begin. Jeans with natural wear holes will be good for lower legs. You can stress jeans by putting them on and keeping the fabric tight while scraping it with a knife or sharp blade. Just lightly shave it thinner in the areas you want holes in and with a little bit of wear, they will tear and shred naturally; in this way, you will get the desired effect. Several layers of shirts that are also in shoddy condition will top off your look.

A t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and hoodie is a good combination. Plus, you can pull the hood up to hide that nice, clean hair of yours. You will probably also want to have a jacket– one appropriate for the winter in your bugout location and one which you won’t mind trashing. Hats will be popular, as they will actually have a more important function when you are spending the majority of your time outdoors, as most will be forced to do.

I would keep this outfit together in a bag and have them ready to use when you have to go out into the world. If you are part of a group, you will want each member that may go scavenging to have a similar set of hobo threads. For now, they can be clean while they are stored, but when you do finally go out into the heart of darkness, you will want to dirty them up with dust, ash, mud, or all of these.

You will want to use ash and mud to dirty your hands and face as well. Now, you don’t want to overdo it either, as that will draw attention just as quickly. Blending in means looking like everyone else, so you will want to appear as dirty and worn out as the next man but not noticeably dirtier. Be sure to apply your dirt makeover fairly evenly, and then randomly splash a few spots of mud across the bottom of your legs of your jeans. Be sure to have some dust on your face, under your fingernails, and around your ears and eyes. Don’t shave for a while before you go out, so that you look like everyone else. Most men will probably be bearded, so you may want to consider joining them from the start, so that you look like you have been without a shave for as long as they have. Never go out with a cleanly-shaven face. There is not enough dirt in the world to cover up that mistake. If you are reading this, then you know you cannot afford to be complacent when it comes to survival, and this is one area you need to be sure to focus on.

Evolving

As time goes on, your outfit should evolve with the look of the people in your area. Adapt to your surroundings, and blend in as much as you can. As I mentioned before, it may be time to embrace the beard and forsake the clean face altogether. If it’s safe enough to do so, you might also consider making regular scavenging trips at the beginning of it all, just to be a familiar face. Get folks used to seeing you here and there. Take no chances; pick up what you can, and move about as your fellow man. If they are a bit slow and lumbering, due to lack of nutrients, mimic that when you are out. Eat light, and try to seem hungrier than you actually are. If it’s complete chaos outside, then stay in. Remember you prepped to live and do what is safe. If you are in a rural area, it will be much easier to go out and blend in. Cities will be cesspools of crime and death. Blending in will be twice as important here. In my opinion, it’s time to leave the cities now. Get into the countryside as far as you can without interrupting your daily life. Maybe a change of job and location is needed altogether. Only you can make that call, and that is one of the main tenets of prepping in the first place. Location is key, so if you are in a city, get out. If you are thinking about going into one, don’t. The same is true for the suburbs, as there will be war zones of homeowners waiting on the government to come stop it all while they fight with the city folk who have looted the city clean. If you have to move through a city, travel along a train track or power line. Stay off the roads as much as you can.

Remember that being the gray man is just another means to an end– your survival. Take it seriously. Also, if you are in a group that goes out, be sure they do too. Be smart, and take off any rings, bracelets, or watches before you go out. Take the time to scout the area for a while, if you can. If you have some binoculars or something similar, you can scout from a greater distance. Then try to match the conditions of the people as best you as you can, just enough to blend. Watch for the times of day that people move through the area. Try to match the natural rhythms to your purposes. If you are looking to interact with people to gain intel or some other reason, you will want to go when there are more folks, or maybe you have noticed one person that seemed approachable; you will have to be there when they are. The same thing goes for folks that you wish to avoid, or maybe you don’t want to see people at all. Timing can be very important. If you don’t have time to scout and have to plunge in, be careful and keep in mind that you are the gray man. Act accordingly. Improvise when you have to. Adapt when you can, and always, always overcome.

http://survivalblog.com/be-the-gray-man-by-m-f/

Canadian-guerilla likes this.
  24. searcher

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Ragnarok and Canadian-guerilla like this.
  25. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

.......this is a difficult concept for many to grasp......

Attached Files:

<SLV> and mtnclimberjim like this.
  26. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    Words to live by:

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

<SLV> and Canadian-guerilla like this.
  27. searcher

Lessons Learned While Living in San Francisco, by JGD

I’m writing this as I wrap up my 18th year of living in San Francisco to outline a recent experience with crime in this city. Beneath the surface, this city has big problems. Above the surface, San Francisco is a beautiful city, and it’s a ton of fun to live here. There are thousands of things to do and amazing places to visit; you name it, and it’s here. I’ve got a great career and a beautiful, like-minded woman. I own my house and have a great sailboat and lots of friends. I could not be more blessed. Things just could not be better, or so it seems. Sadly, they are far from great, because of the taxes, rules, and constant lack of enforcement of even the most basic laws. Most notably, our District Attorney (DA) does not prosecute enough, and I’m sure that even if he did that the prison system in this beautiful state would be able to accommodate any more criminals. I’m to the point that the have-nots in our entire ecosystem of cities (i.e. The Bay Area) no longer worry about any crime other than murder. After my girlfriend was victimized by yet another broad daylight car break in, I took matters into my own hands. Here’s my story…

My Story

Around 13:00 on Sunday January 11th, my girlfriend and I were at Trader Joe’s doing some grocery shopping. I usually avoid the place like the plague on a Sunday, because it is overrun with idiots all vying to get their weekly fill of granola or whatnot. However, there are a few products that are amazing and you just can’t get anywhere else. Usually, we use AmazonFresh or Instacart to avoid the public masses in the city, but on this day, we just felt like doing it. It takes a lot of special services or expenses to make living in the city comfortable, but it is worth it if you want to have a quality of life that is on par with other more suburban areas. Prior to our visit to Trader Joe’s, we had just left the local homeless shelter where we donated four garbage bags full of clothes. Even at the homeless shelter, it was a mess of chaos, so we didn’t stick around to get paperwork for tax write-off purposes. We just wanted to get our errands done. There’s a theme here, isn’t there?

Upon returning to our car, we noted that the right rear window was smashed in. We quickly inspected the vehicle and did not notice anything missing. Having had my car broken into perhaps seven or eight times over the past 18 years, I figured that we should take the car to a secure place and schedule a safelight auto glass repair. So my girlfriend dropped me off at my place so I could get my Hummer H2. The plan was for me to follow her home and then we’d go together to the local police station and file a report. Things weren’t as they seemed though, as after she left me to head for home, she realized that her backpack, which contained her ipad and work laptop, had been stolen.

As luck would have it, right after my girlfriend dropped me off, she called me and advised me that she ran into a cop and the theft victim he was helping showed her how to use “find my iPhone.” We had initially thought she didn’t have it enabled, but it was. They were able to see that her stolen iPad was headed towards the 101 freeway south. We hurried over to the police station and proudly showed the “find my iPhone” location on the screen to the officer behind the 1.5 inches of bullet-proof glass with the little slotted communication ports. He looked up at us and said, “I’m sorry; we do not respond to these, and we do not advise that you do anything about it other than file a report.”

I was livid. With all the taxes we pay, the parking tickets to succumb to, and all the other fees and assessments that we endure, this was not what I wanted to hear. We had a location of our stolen property right there for the local law enforcement officers to see. I was not going to stand for it, so I turned to my girlfriend and said, “Let’s go get it, Honey.”

We battled traffic to get onto the 101 freeway and head south in pursuit. The entire time, I was thinking to myself, “What should I do if we find them? I don’t want to put my girl in harm’s way, so how do I do this?”

We were gaining on them; they appeared to stop at a Lucky grocery store just south of the city. I kept thinking to myself, “How can I do this safely? I won’t be able to live with myself if something bad happens!”

Our criminals got back on the 101 and headed south past San Francisco International Airport. This time I called my friend, Jay, who is a former LEO. He said to me, “Don’t approach them; it could be dangerous. The cops can’t do anything, because they need probable cause to search someone or arrest them.” I said to Jay, “What if I see them with the stolen property?” Jay replied, “Then they can go get them.”

Having satisfied my mental state with a plan, I refocused on tracking them. My girlfriend kept calling out their location every time the “find my iPhone” application updated. We were getting closer, but this time the criminals had turned around and headed north again on the 101 freeway. I focused on safely exiting, and rapidly getting turned around.

We were less than two exits behind them, and they appeared to have stopped at an IHOP restaurant in Brisbane, which is just south of San Francisco. Then, they quickly got back on the 101 freeway and headed north again into San Francisco. Shortly thereafter, they exited onto Vermont Street and sped through Potrero Hill. This is my neighborhood, and I had them right where I wanted them. At this point, I was no more than three blocks behind them. My nerves were on edge and adrenaline was flowing.

The criminals appeared to be heading to the Oakland Bay Bridge, which wasn’t a good sign, because crime and criminals go hand in hand in Oakland. Still we pressed on over the bridge to the 580 freeway, to the 980 freeway, and then to the 880 freeway, where they exited and appeared to park at Laney College, just across from a huge swap meet. That was no surprise there, and I was somewhat happy that we tracked them to a large, open, crowded, public place. I don’t know if I would have had the guts to enter a dark alley, but my goal was to spot the stolen property and call the police, never to approach them. That was the mental plan that unfolded in my head numerous times while pursuing these punks.

My girlfriend noted that we appeared to have passed the criminals by using the “find my iPhone” application, and there were two vehicles parked on the side of the road that we just passed. I was careful to pass them by 30 or 40 meters before I parked. I looked around and made a mental note of the surroundings, possible cover, people, and just about anything. I didn’t know what to do, but my plan was to track them from a distance and give law enforcement probable cause. So, I casually got out of my Hummer, like I was hunting for a good lamp at the local swap meet. I instructed my girlfriend to stay in the car, but she wasn’t having it. Conceding, I plead with her to stay 10-15 meters behind me. She did.

As we walked down the street towards the first car that was stopped on the side of the road behind us, I casually walked by and used all the peripheral vision I could to inspect the vehicle. What appeared was an old family, all doors open, a walker, a baby, and no bags or stolen goods. “On to the next one,” I thought.

As I focused on the next car, I realized I had found them. There was a heavy set Hispanic male leaning into the vehicle with a wad of cash conducting a transaction with the front passenger, who had a stack of laptops. As we walked slowly up to them, my girlfriend, who was still behind me, advised me that the “find my iPhone” application lost the signal. Obviously the purchaser of the stolen goods had informed the criminals that they were capable of being tracked, so they had shut down the iPad. It was too late though; I had eyes on them.

I dropped back to my girlfriend and walked between them and the car, advising my girlfriend to act like nothing at all is happening. We just simply walked by. As soon as we passed them, I got their license plate number and kept walking. Once we were 10 or 15 meters past the vehicle, I looked back and so did my girlfriend. She said to me “Honey, there’s my iPad and my laptop!” She could identify her iPad from the shiny fancy red cover she had on it.

This was our probable cause, and despite all my mental simulations while pursuing these thieves, I acted quickly and ran across the street so I could track the stolen property, which was now in the hands of someone who obviously had a booth at the local swap meet. This person was stuck on the traffic median waiting for a “walk” signal. I went off script and yelled assertively, “You are in possession of stolen property, which we just observed you buy from that vehicle. We have tracked them all over the Bay Area. Place the stolen property on the deck and we will not call the police. DO IT NOW!”

The car drove off rapidly, and the person who bought the stolen goods placed the stack of laptops and iPads down and then took off into the crowd. Not one single person stopped to help. In fact I don’t think a single person even broke stride.

Seconds later, my girlfriend came running up, found her laptop and her iPad and was very happy. I advised her that we needed to maintain situational awareness and that we were in no way in a happy place just yet. I called the Oakland police department to file a report. Honestly, the thought of just leaving the stolen property that wasn’t ours behind did cross my mind, but returning the stolen property to the authorities seemed appropriate.

After getting off the phone with the 911 dispatcher, we waited over 20 minutes for an Oakland police officer to show up. While we were waiting, though, my girlfriend fired up each laptop and found out who their owners were, then sent them an email letting them know we retrieved their stuff. After 25 minutes and still no police response, I decided to pack it in and drive the stolen property back to the San Francisco Police station that told us not to do anything and that they wouldn’t do anything. I figured, “Hmmm, this will be a nice surprise for them to deal with.”

Humorously, we drove about 300 feet toward home, turned the corner, and there was an Oakland Police officer in the car just sitting there doing nothing. We had called the police 25 minutes prior, and there was a police officer in a car just around the corner the entire time doing NOTHING. This was par for the course. We were let down by not one but two different police jurisdictions.

We pulled over to the police, informed them of what happened, and they gladly took possession of the stolen property, filed a report, and gave us a case number. Ironically, while we were divulging information to the police officers, my girlfriend’s phone rang; it was one of the victims who we reached out to via email. They were overjoyed and very thankful. We gave them all the information they needed to retrieve their property, thanked the Oakland police officers for their help, and headed home.

Lessons Learned

1.PREPARE. This one turned out okay, but it might not have. I have spent the past few years preparing and training so that, as I put it, “I’m not the hapless idiot in the movie where everything goes wrong and people die.” I prepare and train to help others. I prepare and train, because one day I realized that this beautiful city we live in is inches from a WROL scenario. It’s all just below the surface.

2.PREPARATION ISN’T ENOUGH; LOCATION IS KEY! This was a wakeup call for me. While I am prepared for anything, when it comes to band aids, beans, and bullets in the most almighty way imaginable, thanks to my professional successes. However, the one thing you cannot overcome, no matter how hard you try, is living in the wrong location.

3.MOST MAJOR POPULATION CENTERS ARE LOST CAUSES. Our beloved city, in all its glory, is on the verge of lawlessness. You cannot spend your way into a utopian society or educate yourself to prosperity, if there isn’t security. Right now, where I’m sitting, we have a law enforcement system that is broken because of the right intentions coupled with the wrong principles. We have a penal system that is overflowing. People in the San Francisco Bay Area are going to have to learn to live with crime that goes unenforced in broad daylight, because there is just too much of it. It’s just slightly below the surface.

4.TRAIN TO COMPLEMENT YOUR PREPS. Aside from having an extensive array of preparations, I advise that you train extensively whenever you can at things like first aid, firearms, trade craft, self-defense, fitness, communications, and anything that interests you and will complement your tangible preps.

5.BE MENTALLY AWARE AT ALL TIMES. My mind was on overdrive throughout this whole process. Driving rapidly on the freeway, trying to be safe, tracking someone, and rehearsing what you are going to do– it was a mental workout. Simulate all possible outcomes of any scenario to help balance risk. Be situationally aware. Don’t be stupid; be wise. Also, allow time to unwind afterwards. My mind kept racing for hours after the incident to where I couldn’t focus.

http://survivalblog.com/lessons-learned-while-living-in-san-francisco-by-jgd/

Agavegirl1 likes this.
  28. searcher

Urban Survival- Pace Planning- Black Scout Tutorials

[video=youtube_share;kHvzwSFxch0]http://youtu.be/kHvzwSFxch0[/video]

http://youtu.be/kHvzwSFxch0

Published on Jan 28, 2015

In this episode we cover a planning protocol that will help you develop your personal urban survival strategies. Please Like, Share, and Subscribe. Thanks for watching.

29. searcher

[h=1]The Hidden Weakness In Your Defense Plans, by T.S. -Part 1[/h] January 31, 2015 - 5:29 am

The mental and emotional considerations of using lethal force to protect your home and loved ones after TEOTWAWKI is not going to be as easy, as you have imagined it.

By way of introduction, I am a retired street cop who spent his entire career on the streets of a gang-infested neighborhood in a large, inner city. I have shot people, though none died. On several occasions, I was myself shot at, and I was hit once. I want to share my thoughts and experiences with you, lest you have naïve and unrealistic ideas, which will prove counterproductive, at best, and possibly fatal.

I am not going to address a shooting incident today, when and where there is effective law and order. The venue we will address here will be strictly for a time and place where society has broken down and the rule of law no longer exists. This is only intended to address a post-apocalyptic scenario.

I know. I know. You readily say, “I won’t have any trouble at all shooting riffraff that’s coming after my food or family.” Really? Let’s explore that thought, because here’s the thing– I know you think that, and I know you believe it with all your heart, but may I suggest that a critical component that is necessarily involved in the act of shooting a human being may have been left out of your thought process? This is the potentially fatal flaw for the majority of preppers in a self-defense scenario.

First, let me say up front that while this is based on my first-hand experiences, it is also covered in much more detail in Colonel Dave Grossman’s excellent books On Combat and On Killing and also Warrior’s Mindset by Asken. All of these are MUST reading for anyone who is prepped up on guns, ammo, and attitude. Unless you have been personally involved in shootouts as a cop or firefights as a soldier, you must read these books, but I will condense some of what’s in them and add my own experiences for those who can’t or won’t read three more books.

We think and believe that we live in our conscious world; that’s wrong. We are more what our unconscious mind thinks than who we consciously think we are. Have you ever tried to break a bad habit? Have you ever tried to lose weight or get into better shape? How about making New Year’s resolutions? How did that work out for you? You lose those battles because your unconscious mind is much stronger than your conscious mind, and the unconscious one usually wins. You can make all the conscious decisions you want, but no matter how much determination and willpower you add to that if you don’t get your unconscious mind on board you will likely fail.

So when it comes to shooting another human being, you need to understand the mental and emotional dynamics involved. When cops are on the line at the range, they will consistently hit a man-sized target every time without fail. Yet, statistically on the street, they will miss 75%-80% of the time, and they will miss a target that poses a clear and present danger when they would never miss a piece of paper. Why is that? S.L.A. Marshall did extensive studies and found that during WW II, 90% of the Japanese and German soldiers that were shot by small arms fire, were shot by less than 20% of our soldiers. Please look that up if you don’t believe it, but it’s documented and indisputable. That doesn’t mean the others were cowards, because many were capable of extraordinary acts of bravery, such as running out into the face of enemy gunfire to get to an injured man, for instance. So, if they weren’t cowards and were good shots, why didn’t they shoot an enemy soldier? The now-defunct Rhodesian army pioneered the system of charging directly into the enemy when being ambushed because they took fewer casualties doing that. At the time, they had no idea why it worked, but they knew it worked.

What they did figure out was that when you look into a man’s face, it’s harder to shoot him, even if he’s shooting at you. On the world’s battle fields, strewn with casualties even in ancient times, the vast majority of the slaughter came only after the enemy turned and ran. This is counter intuitive if you bought into what Hollywood has taught us, but the truth is that it’s much easier to shoot an enemy in the back than it is to shoot a man at close range in the chest or face, and fear does not change this dynamic. Most of you reading this article are going to think it’s all wrong, so I’m going to burden you with some statistics, because you need to buy into this documented phenomenon, even though Hollywood has poisoned our reasoning and our true history.

Even back to the time of Alexander the Great, in all his massive battles during which he conquered the known civilized world, he lost less than 700 men. Of the slaughter and carnage that followed, the vast majority of the enemy were smitten from behind after the battle was won. During the battle of Rorke’s Drift during the Zulu wars, the English soldiers fired continuously into the packed ranks of Zulus, literally at point blank range knowing that Zulus never take prisoners. Even a 50% hit rate would seem impossible under those circumstances, but when the bodies and the number of separate wounds were counted and the ammo used was checked, the hit rate was 13%! At the battle of Wissembourg in 1870, the dug-in French fired over 48,000 rounds into the German troops, who were advancing packed shoulder to shoulder at a slow walk in an open area, and hit 404 of them. After the battle of Gettysburg 27,574 muskets were recovered from the battlefield. Over 24,000 of those, more than 90%, were fully loaded. Over 12,000 were loaded more than once and over 6,000 were loaded between 3 and 10 times, with one being loaded 23 times. On the black powder field, a loaded weapon is the most precious of commodities, because 95% of a soldier’s time was taken up with the reloading process and only 5% actually firing. Logic and math would require that if those soldiers wanted to kill the enemy, then 95% of the those who were killed would be found with an empty weapon in some stage of being reloaded. Any weapon found fully loaded and ready to fire would have been pure gold on a battlefield, picked up, and used, which further exacerbates the evidence. What happened was that individual soldiers, who couldn’t shoot the enemy, didn’t want to be seen by their comrades doing absolutely nothing, so they occupied themselves loading over and over.

During the civil war, the generals on both sides realized there was a serious problem and saw that their men were shooting too high, over the heads of the enemy. Orders went out to shoot at the knees, but that didn’t help, because poor aim was not the problem.

Sociopaths aside, your subconscious mind abhors the idea of taking a human life, for any reason. This is true, even though your conscious mind has fully grasped the need to take a life in order to save yourself or a loved one. Until I studied this, it always amazed me how many armed women were robbed, assaulted, and raped in their own homes by an intruder who took their gun and had his way with her because she couldn’t shoot. Pointing the gun straight at him, they were unable to pull the trigger. That was their unconscious mind at work. Your conscious mind may clearly see a criminal and imminent danger, but your unconscious mind sees a human being.

However, we don’t want to just shut down the unconscious mind, because in fact it can be a life saver. Any man that has been in a life-threatening situation knows about “trusting your gut”, and many women are alive today because of “women’s intuition”. Both are the same documented phenomena with gender-specific names, but these phenomena are actually easy to explain. What they are, pure and simple, is our unconscious mind picking up on cues from our environment that we did not notice consciously, but it’s what the unconscious mind did notice. So we don’t want to shut down that valuable asset, but we do want to be able to act consciously.

There’s no purpose pointing all this out if there is no solution for the problem. However, in this case, there are. While it’s not quick or easy, the unconscious mind can be reprogrammed. If you’ve tried to lose weight chances are you either failed outright or you succeeded for a time but then gained it back. I’m talking about simply eating less. How can we fail so consistently when we want it so badly? The answer is that if your unconscious mind has a picture of you being a certain weight, it will fight to maintain stasis, because “that is you”. Your unconscious mind always wants to feel comfortable and will fight for that comfort.

http://survivalblog.com/the-hidden-weakness-in-your-defense-plans-by-t-s-part-1/

30. searcher

The Hidden Weakness In Your Defense Plans, by T.S. – Part 2

There are two tried, proven, and scientifically-documented ways to program the unconscious mind. Any professional or Olympic athlete will tell you that visualization works. If you watch winter Olympics downhill skiers stand at the top of their run, they are moving their bodies imagining the run as they want it before they even start. This programs the unconscious to see the same picture that the conscious imagines, and when the two work together amazing results follow. The other way to reprogram the unconscious mind is also well known and documented, though few have applied that knowledge to shooting; it’s positive affirmations. If you continually bombard your unconscious mind with verbal suggestions, what you are essentially doing is brainwashing yourself. If the unconscious mind hears it enough times repetitively and over a long enough time span, it begins to believe it. To be effective, your self-talk should be short, simple, and to the point. For instance, let’s say you aren’t the most observant person in the world. Your self-talk statement might be something like this; “I am always alert”. Your positive affirmations should be spoken several times a day and as often as you can. Remember repetition and time are the proven basis for brainwashing. If you do this, you will find that over time you will be looking less at your shoes as you walk and instead looking around at your surroundings more.

If you are one of those people who have less-than-excellent situational awareness, it’s critical for you to improve in this area, because you can’t defend against something you don’t notice until it’s too late. You’ll find that as soon as you say it, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you can’t make that statement and not involuntarily (unconsciously) start looking around. If you routinely look down while walking on a flat surface, like a sidewalk or road, and say something like that to yourself or even just think it, an autonomic response will follow that makes you look up and around. You don’t have to consciously do a thing or think a thought, it just happens. This is your unconscious mind working FOR you instead of against you.

If we fast forward from WW II to Vietnam we find something totally different, because now 90% of the riflemen are shooting the enemy. What’s the difference? Once the military learned about this phenomenon, we found ways to correct it. We did that by reprogramming our unconscious mind and also by temporarily bypassing it altogether. Training (correct training) is the key.

During WW II and the Korean War, we trained men to shoot paper bull’s-eye targets. They were encouraged to take their time, pull the trigger slowly, and breathe correctly; sound familiar? They became very good at taking their time, breathing correctly, and hitting paper bull’s-eyes, even at distance, but that training did not translate well into real combat. While there were other minor changes, the two big changes in military training that resulted in such an increase of the effectiveness of the riflemen were:

1.They now shoot at paper targets that are of real people, not bull’s-eyes. That conditions the unconscious mind to shoot something much more similar to the real thing.

2.If you fire the shot within three seconds, the unconscious mind is bypassed, because it takes 3-4 seconds to kick in what you’re doing and the consequences. By the time your mind decides that you should probably miss that target and just try to scare him away, the shot has been fired. When a bad guy is drawing a bead on a team member, you do not want to start thinking things like: “He probably has kids at home”, or “I’ll be widowing some poor woman”, or “He’s just hungry”. With training, your conscious mind will be screaming, “He’s drawing down on my friend; I have to shoot him or he’ll kill my teammate and me too, take my wife, and eat our food.” Your unconscious mind will cause you, at the very least, to hesitate for a few crucial seconds while it searches for alternatives to killing a human being.

After the collapse of society and in the absence of any effective law enforcement, we’re not talking about facing a military unit that possesses military-grade weapons, military training, and military vehicles. If you are, give it up; you’ll lose. What you are very likely to face, though, are individual criminals and gangs. These are “animals” and easier to “put down”. They may even make it easier for you by looking the part. However, what if it’s your neighbor, with whom you have refused to share what little food you have, and he has returned, armed and desperate? Can you shoot “Fred”, who you’ve known for years and who used to bring the cold beers to all your barbecues? What if your spouse is in the garden collecting vegetables for dinner and an old, frail, skinny man is drawing a bead on him/her? What if it’s a lady, a pregnant lady, or a thirteen-year-old boy who is starting to squeeze the trigger? Could you really shoot that pregnant lady or that child? If you hesitate for even a split second, your spouse just died, and it’s your fault. Still think this is going to be easy?

So, let’s talk in more detail about those solutions.

1.Stop right now and throw away all your bull’s eye targets; buy human targets to shoot at. I’m not talking about silhouettes or zombies either. I’m talking about real, human-looking targets of people posing as bad guys who are facing you. Start that process of reprogramming immediately, because it takes a lot of time, a lot of ammo, and we may not have all the time you’ll need if you procrastinate. That’s the easiest part.

2.The next part requires that you practice enough times at acquiring that stop watch. Then have them shout a stop order. They will stop the watch at exactly the three-second mark. Practice this with the target being at all points of the compass, as that can happen in real life.

3.The next part is the visualizations. The more detail you insert, the more effective they are, but detail will take you some time to develop and add. Here’s a hypothetic scenario for you. Let’s say you imagine yourself shooting an armed attacker who has just come out from behind a tree or building, depending on whether your environment is going to be urban or rural. You easily imagine yourself raising your weapon and shooting the guy, but there’s no detail there, so your unconscious is not going to buy into that. The lack of detail is what makes visualization fail for most people. The scenario I just described is not visualization, but it is the foundation for visualization. That’s where you have to start, but that’s not real life, is it? The devil is in the details. Did you visualize the target drop? In real life, people don’t usually just drop dead. They run until they bleed out, they fall, and they scream in agony. They call out to their mother in their death throes. They beg for their life. They use their last ounce of energy and last pint of blood trying to shoot back at you. (You must make sure the people you kill are dead. Many a good cop has been shot by a criminal who was fatally shot but returned fire before bleeding out.) Imagine that the target sees you at the last moment; does he freeze? Does he run? Does he pull his firearm up towards you? Does he drop his? Does he tell you to drop yours? Does he ask you to let him go and tell you he will never come back? Murphy’s Law says whatever you failed to anticipate is what will happen, so think through all the possibilities. You also have to engage all of your senses in the visualization, to make it believable to your unconscious mind. Did you see blood oozing from his wound? Did you even imagine, in detail, exactly where you hit him? Did you see, in your peripheral vision, the spent casing go flying? Did you see the look on his face the moment he saw you and knew he was going to die? Did you hear the sound of your rifle? Did you feel the recoil? Do you feel how dry your mouth has become and how wet your palms are? Did you smell the gunpowder right after the shot? Tunnel vision is normal during an adrenalin dump, but it’s not all exclusive. Did you notice the area around the target? If you are convinced the target has been neutralized, did you immediately start scanning the environment for another person, in case this one wasn’t alone? To be effective, you have to engage as many of your senses as possible and in as much detail as possible. Now repeat all that with a woman, an old man, and a thirteen-year-old boy as the perpetrator.

4.I want to add one more thing, which is the post-shooting situation and action. Please do not ignore this, or you radically increase the chances of suffering some form of PTSD. Unless you are all alone, never, ever, ever go look at the person you just shot. Let someone else check to make sure they are dead. Let someone else strip them of anything valuable, and especially let somebody else bury, burn, or otherwise dispose of the body. If you get a good, solid look at their face, your conscious mind will accept what you’ve done (assuming it was indeed a righteous shooting). However, at night, in your dreams, your unconscious mind will be thinking, “I shot the father of some kids somewhere”, I just killed my neighbor, Fred”, “I shot some lady’s husband or some mother’s son”, and/or “I shot a starving man who only wanted food” and other similar thoughts. There will likely be blood, guts, bone tissue, and so forth that can traumatize any normal man’s soul and sear it with memories that can never be purged without years on the couch of a good shrink.

Shooting another human being just isn’t built into a normal person’s DNA, unless you are a sociopath and have no conscience, remorse, or guilt. Be sure it is a righteous shooting, or you will deserve the guilt and trauma that follow. There can be a fine line between killing in self defense and unnecessary murder. We all have a moral compass, and for each one of us that compass points somewhere a little different than everybody else. I think we are all on board with shooting someone who would kill a loved one, but what about someone who is going to steal food, which is required for sustaining life and without it will result in the death of that same loved one later down the road? Is that also justified? We each have to make that decision, and I urge you to do that ahead of time, so you don’t have to work it out in your head in the middle of an adrenalin dump. Know exactly what you are willing to do, when, where, and how you will do it. Preparing your whole mind (both halves) ahead of time is your best defense. Without your whole mind behind you, all the marksmanship, training, and the finest weapons will almost certainly fail you.

http://survivalblog.com/the-hidden-weakness-in-your-defense-plans-by-t-s-part-2/

31. searcher

dirt to oil and argentos like this.
  32. searcher

Anyone into tradecraft :hmmmm2:

Black Scout Tradecraft- How to Use a Dead Drop

[video=youtube_share;pUDTrDe1Hq0]http://youtu.be/pUDTrDe1Hq0[/video]

http://youtu.be/pUDTrDe1Hq0

Published on Feb 3, 2015
    This video is about Dead Drop Devices and how to effectively use them and the techniques to do so. We will also cover some applications on how you can use them in a grid down scenario

33. searcher

34. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Drug dealers use this a lot.

Look for two sneakers tied together hanging in a tree.

Lately though they've adopted the so called tribal script, looks like graffiti.

Both are line of sight, that is the dealers house can be seen from the mark.

35. searcher

Learn to Use Body Language to Establish Trust

February 12, 2015

Building a prepper community that you can rely on to come together in times of need is high on everyone’s list of goals. Sadly, however, most of us have an issue with determining just who we should let into out inner circle of trusted friends. That includes family. Who is to say that a trusted family member will not turn on us when the chips are down? This a special concern when there is a perception, real or imagined, that an immediate member of his or her own family is at risk.

These are tough questions that have come up over and over again as together we have explored the viability of building a trusted network of preppers that we can count on to watch our backs as we would watch theirs.

[​IMG]

I do not have the answers myself. Being somewhat reclusive, those in close physical proximity know little about me and my personal life and circumstances. Having said that, I know that to prevail after the tipping point we call SHFT occurs, I will need to learn to surround myself with people I trust. Learning who they are after the fact will be too late.

To help with this dilemma, I asked Jim Cobb, who you know as a prolific, and well-grounded survivalist and author, to share his experience in reading body language to establish trust. He is a licensed private detective and deals with body language and trust issues on a daily basis.

Here is what he has to say about learning to use body language to establish trust.

Body Language – What are They Really Saying?

By Jim Cobb

Experts differ a bit on the exact percentage but they all agree that the vast majority of interpersonal communication in non-verbal. Often, this is why people have so many disagreements online. Without those body language cues, as well as a lack of vocal tone, misunderstandings are very common. I’ve often said that the person who comes up with a specific font that is universally recognized as indicating sarcasm will be a billionaire overnight.

A basic understanding of body language can go a long way toward not only having a deeper understanding of communication but helping to discern honesty among those with whom you are communicating. However, it is important to note that no individual cue should be seen as authoritative in that regard in particular. Every person is unique and what might be seen as an indicator of dishonesty in one person might just be a tic or affectation in another. Think about it like this, you can’t easily determine the entire plot of a novel by reading just a single sentence. Body language is about the sum of its parts, not just any one particular cue.

If the person is someone you know well, pay particular attention to behavior patterns that differ considerably from the norm. For example, if they almost always look you dead in the eye when speaking and now they suddenly seem to want to look at anything but you, that’s a pretty strong indicator something is going on.

Interpreting body language involves paying attention to things like facial expressions, eye movement, posture, and gestures. Obviously, you aren’t going to become any sort of expert just by reading a single blog post. However, given that most of us would be more concerned with determining honesty more than anything else, let’s look at some common indicators of lying.

Often, body language cues of dishonesty are the same or very similar to someone who is afraid. This stands to reason as most liars fear being caught. So, if the person appears afraid, such as their breathing is somewhat rapid and their face flushed, that can be a clue that something is amiss.

Of course, avoiding eye contact is one of the most common indicators of dishonesty. Most parents learn that one early on. However, an inability to look you in the eyes might also just be because the person feels nervous or intimidated by you. Again, you need to read the whole book, not just a sentence or two.

Someone a bit more accomplished at deception might look away from you as they give thought to their answer, then look you dead in the eye as they speak. Consider the question you’ve asked and whether it should take them a bit of time to think of the appropriate answer.

Often, someone who is lying will unconsciously try to cover their mouth or divert their mouth away from you. They may rub their face or turn their head slightly. Of course, they might also fear they have bad breath.

A posture that leans away from you, such as leaning back when they are seated, can indicate they want to get away from you. It could also mean you have bad breath.

Crossing the arms is a common indicator of defensive body language. It can also show anger or an unwillingness to cooperate. Then again, they might just be cold.

When under stress, the body can do some funny things. For some reason, for example, the mouth can often get very dry. If the person to whom you are speaking seems to have trouble talking because of a dry mouth, that can be a clue they’re not comfortable with the conversation.

Adept liars are often very aware of their own body language and will work to curtail any telltale signs of dishonesty. For example, while squirming is something most parents would recognize as indicative of lying, those who are practiced liars will remain absolutely stock still. Again, if remaining that still is unusual for the person, that should be noted.

While not strictly a part of body language, it is important to pay attention to what the person is saying. I know, that sounds obvious, but let me elaborate. Liars often repeat themselves over and over in an attempt to get you to believe them. They figure if they say it often enough, it will be true. They will also share an overabundance of details, most of which won’t be relevant to the actual answer. They do this in hopes that they’ll be seen as cooperative and open.

Perhaps the most important thing to do when attempting to determine honesty is to listen to your gut. Quite often, our unconscious mind picks up on subtle cues that our eyes aren’t registering. How many times have you gotten out of a bad relationship and only then realized what your inner mind, your gut, had been telling you all along?

I know I’ve said this several times but it bears repeating once more. It is absolutely crucial to not get hung up on any one individual indicator of dishonesty. You must take into account the whole picture, including what is “normal” behavior for that person, if known. Read the whole book, or at least a few chapters, before determining the appropriate course of action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jim Cobb is a recognized authority on disaster readiness. He has also been a licensed private detective for about 15 years. Previous to that, he spent several years working in loss prevention and security.

During this time, he has interviewed countless individuals suspected of dishonesty and received training in interpreting body language.
    Jim’s books include Prepper’s Home Defense, Countdown to Preparedness, and Prepper’s Financial Guide (coming March 2015). He can be found online at http://www.survivalweekly.com/ and http://www.DisasterPrepConsultants.com/. You can connect with him on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/jimcobbsurvival/.​

The Final Word

Merriam-Webster defines trust as “Assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something”.

For those of us that strive for autonomy, self-sufficiency, and unilateral preparedness, trust is a tough topic but an important one. This goes beyond talking (or not) about your preps and your stored supplies. It involves knowing that your trusted comrade is strong enough in character to do the right thing when called upon to act on behalf of the group.

As we look to develop trust in others, we also need to look inward at ourselves. When push comes to shove, could you be trusted?

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider voting for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites! In addition, SUBSCRIBE to email updates and receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-book The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.
    Related Articles:

Spotlight:
    Jim’s books have been very popular with Backdoor Survival readers. I can recommend any one of them without hesitation. Here is a link along with some other favorite items to foster your preparedness journey: Preparedness Books by Jim Cobb[​IMG].

http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/learning-to-use-body-language-to-establish-trust/

36. searcher

Collapse Survivor Explains Strategic Savagery: “You Have Two Choices – Fight To The Last or Run”

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Selco
    February 18th, 2015
    SHTF School

[/TD]
    [TD="width: 350"]
    [TABLE="align: right"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]

Editor’s Note: The following commentary comes to us from Selco of SHTF School, one of the preparedness community’s most well known authors – and for good reason. Selco survived the Balkan war of the 1990′s and described his experiences in his online course One Year In Hell.

He has seen the worst that humanity has to offer and once again shares his thoughts on living in a world that has completely fallen apart.

If you want a first person perspective on what collapse looks like then keep reading.

It looks like there is no sense and order in what ISIS folks are doing while they are terrorizing people and burning them alive, stone them to death, kill captured soldiers or simply women and kids. But spreading terror and pure fear makes lot of sense in terms of strategy, especially in already „chaotic“ times and territories where they are trying to advance.

Terror is a psychological game.

The “they are coming for me feeling”

I have experienced for myself, more than once the feeling that „they are coming for me“. It is that moment when you are armed and ready, together with more folks, who are armed too and we are all waiting for attack.

And guys who are attacking are famous for the fact that they do not take prisoners, or that they have few sick guys who are collecting ears from the captured people, while they are still alive.

No matter how well you are armed and prepared and ready to fight, if you hear about their atrocities for weeks and then one evening you are forced to fight with them it will have impact on you.

You will face stress of battle but also have to deal with your own fear.

Of course different people react in different ways, so some guys will break down or give up even before fight, without single bullet flying through the air.

Some guys will even surrender without fight and beg for mercy, even they listened stories about „no prisoners“ for weeks. Often they are the people who can not imagine how truly evil people act. They think because they would not kill and torture other people they do not know nobody would. It makes no sense, but it is what terror does and why it works. It makes people act without sense, makes them do stupid things, to be confused and not logical.

Terror is advanced level of trash talk in sports where one opponent tries to make the other one angry that he loses focus. When it comes to terror it is just fear that is used as weapon.

I have seen that sometimes only rumor about some infamous unit coming to attack is enough that groups who are very well organised simply fall apart.

If you hear that there is unit coming and they will torture and kill everyone in their way including your kids and woman, you have two choices: To fight to the last or run.

In the movies folks will fight to the last, but in reality most of the folks will simply run. The difference is like walking on edge of the sidewalk or walking on edge of a high building. In both cases you walk on edge but only in one case a wrong step has much worse consequences.

Few times I asked myself why ISIS has so much success over there in Iraq and Syria. One of the answers is terror. Nothing spreads so fast like terror.

I also think the idea you can have ultimate power over life and death of people makes many people want to join them. People get high on power and that they can decide who lives or dies. If this happens in group you usually find people trying to be more brutal than other people in their group. To be the most respected a feared one.

You finally can rule over people, to judge, it does not have anything to do with religion, it is in human nature of some folks.

Few months ago I read some US weapon forum and one of the members shows his rifle and said how he bought it cheaply and how it was probably used in Balkan war.

On the rifle butt there was still small engraved sign of the unit visible. And strangely I knew that unit.

Unit was famous in war because they (like many others) did lots of bad things, rape, kill prisoners and similar things like private prisons etc.

But at the end most of them ended up dead, killed like the people they killed.

Once when people realize that bullets can kill you no matter how famous or infamous you are it all gets easier.

People dealt with them, and today they are just something like weird war memory with a sign on someones rifle butt. This is a lesson you need to keep in mind in situations when you face enemies that cause fear and terror in you.

First you need to accept your fear and terror. Some people do not accept it and try to pretend its not there until it breaks out and makes them unable to function. Often in situations when it matters most.

Be aware of your fear and terror but also confident in your abilities to face this enemy. This is attitude that you need to show openly also to all members of your group. In groups emotions always get amplified.

Just like walking on edge of high building you focus on the task at hand, the walking or fighting and forget about consequences for that moment.

Terror needs to be dealt with brute force, before it spreads way too much to be contained. It is like disease.

You can get sick from terror, just like from pneumonia for example. Symptoms are fear,panic, doing illogical things, or having urge to run away before even you realize who is your enemy and how you can defeat it.

This is why we prepare, practice and learn to focus on what matters to achieve our goals. Terror only works if you give it power.

What do you make of ISIS and their actions? Please share your thoughts on this and how you try to deal with terror in community forum or comments below.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-ne...two-choices-fight-to-the-last-or-run_02182015

37. searcher

38. searcher

Something a bit different..............

The Enemy Agent And You (1964)

[video=youtube_share;c37R8PpFbjU]http://youtu.be/c37R8PpFbjU[/video]

http://youtu.be/c37R8PpFbjU

Published on Jul 31, 2012
    This U.S. Army film discusses security awareness and responsibilities in relation to overseas travel. -

National Archives and Records Administration - ARC Identifier 653932 / Local Identifier 263.2424 - The Enemy Agent and You - National Security Council. Central Intelligence Agency. (09/18/1947 - 12/04/1981).

Defense Against the Spy (1967)

[video=youtube_share;RNNs-5u-HoY]http://youtu.be/RNNs-5u-HoY[/video]

http://youtu.be/RNNs-5u-HoY

Published on Jul 31, 2012
    This film is a case study of devices that were used for espionage. -

National Archives and Records Administration - ARC Identifier 649321 / Local Identifier 263.1924 - Defense Against the Spy - National Security Council. Central Intelligence Agency. (09/18/1947 - 12/04/1981).

39. searcher

[h=2]Wednesday, November 26, 2008[/h][h=3]Principles of Clandestine Behavior[/h]

The following article was originally published in the Winter 1995 issue of THE RESISTER, Volume I, Number 3.

RESISTANCE
    ----------

Principles of Clandestine Behavior

-by-

Michael Bateman

Individual underground and resistance operatives, expected to cope with sophisticated law enforcement practices or security organizations are often as a singular disadvantage in their efforts to understand systematized techniques and practices of clandestine behavior. The varieties of this behavior, known collectively as "tradecraft," are a traditional province of secret intelligence and special operations; fields reluctant to shed light on operational methods and procedures. There is a dearth of reliable material in the literature of underground and resistance intelligence and unless the operative has an appropriate background, attempts to obtain useful extracts from the broader open literature will prove difficult indeed.

The purpose of this article is to provide the reader with an introduction to elements of tradecraft important to evade enforcement operations or security investigations by underground and resistance operators. we have enclosed disciplines set a pattern of practitioners and this pattern is liable to prediction or analysis. We disagree with this theory when it is applied to clandestine behavior. The logic of tradecraft is the logic of fear. Fear is an individual matter.

The _Oxford_English_Dictionary_ defines tradecraft with eloquent simplicity as, "skill or art in connexion with a trade or calling." The trade or calling with which we are immediately concerned is that of the underground operative. Definition therefore becomes a practical matter of describing components expressed in the training literature of intelligence agencies and federal paramilitary organizations. Allowing for purely stylistic variation, or variation born of contextual circumstance, the study of tradecraft is regarded as inclusive of six broad elements:

1. AGENT HANDLING. What we refer to as agent handling includes target group analysis; spotting; assessment; development; recruitment; operational management and termination.

2. PROTECTION. Protection includes methods of establishing and maintaining cover; countersurveillance; use of safe-houses, and technical skills relating to disguise, document work and forgery.

3. COLLECTION. Collection methods are primarily technical in nature and include photography; audio surveillance; physical surveillance; surreptitious methods of entry; flaps and seals work; drawing and sketching, and elicitation.

4. COMMUNICATION. Communication studies include the use of drops and letter boxes; clandestine meetings; secret writing; concealment devices; radios; codes and ciphers, and numerous other forms.

5. INDIVIDUAL SKILLS. Individual skills include observation and memory; evasion and escape; close combat; interviewing; elicitation, and report writing, among others.

6. SPECIALTY SKILLS. Specialty skills include methods of infiltration (ingress and egress), expertise with certain weapons and explosives, and technical specialties relating to any of the categories noted above.

Our delimitation of each category is idiosyncratic. We do, however, present an accurate portrait of the interdisciplines of tradecraft as tradecraft is best regarded by underground operatives.

A major task of the opposition intelligence specialist is developing information concerning underground activity conducted in secrecy. To the extent the activity in question is indeed secret, and presupposing secrecy's role is to actively deny the opportunity for information collection, then the underground operative must be conversant with the pure practices of counterintelligence.

A useful definition of counterintelligence for underground purposes is: intelligence activity, with its resultant product, intended to detect, counteract, and prevent opposition collection encompassing security measures designed to:

1. Conceal the identify or origin of the participants
    2. Conceal the activity during its incipient, or planning stage;
    3. Conceal the support apparatus exploited by the participants;
    4. Conceal the activity or activities during commission;
    5. Protect the participants during withdrawal.

Please note that our definition of counterintelligence relates to the study of secrecy as an instrument of concealment. Concealment is the very aim of secrecy. The two are intermeshed but not identical. Concealment apart from being the aim of secrecy is a form of secrecy, while secrecy is a variable of concealment. To study secrecy one therefore begins with the study of concealment.

The study of concealment begins with categorical notice of how concealment is to be achieved. concealment is a three-fold process of manipulation involving 1) the object of concealment, 2) the observation process, inclusive of the observer, and 3) the environment. The manipulation process itself involves a philosophical ground consisting of 1) an assumption of knowledge, 2) a known category of perception, and 3) a time frame into which are injected variables of disguise, deception, and secrecy. Each variable serves an element of the process in consort with each other variable. Disguise manipulates the object, deception manipulates the observation process, and secrecy manipulates the environment.

Proceeding forth from the above we reach the modalities of concealment. These are the techniques employed to fit each variable to the corpus of knowledge and category of perception. With references to disguise, for example, we find cosmetic changes in appearance and substantive changes in form. With reference to deception we find the technique of imbedding, which redirects attention, and dispersal, which expands attention.

By way of illustration we are reminded of an old story concerning a famous smuggler who, for sake of narration, we shall call Pierre. One day Pierre appears at the frontier pushing a red bicycle on which he balances a basket filled with straw. The inspectors descend in force and for their trouble produce a single brick from the bottom of the basket. Breaking the brick, they are disappointed to find it quite genuine.

Weeks pass and the scene repeats itself. Specialists are called in to no avail and always with the same result. The inspectors know Pierre must be smuggling something but they do now know what. Curiosity changes to anguish when informants report Pierre has crossed the border for good and is living comfortably on the other side. In desperation, the Chief Inspector decides to pay the smuggler a call.

"I have, as you know, no power here," he says, "and as it seems you now reside here permanently we shall not meet again. I will ask you, no... I will beg you as one man to another to please set my mind to rest. I know you were smuggling something but I do not know what it was."

Pierre thinks for a moment and then he answers: "Bicycles, your honor, and we did it together."

"Bicycles! We together? But how?" cries the Chief.

"I painted them red," replies Pierre. "You hid them among the bricks."

In the example given, the object or aim of concealment is to prevent detection of criminal activity, id est, smuggling. Pierre's fame as a smuggler and the reaction of the inspectors is the assumed corpus of knowledge. Visual search of objects by inspectors is the category of perception. The element of disguise is red paint, the element of deception a brick, and the time frame is expanded to create the effect of dispersal. Note how all these elements work together in secrecy; so closely that an error in one can contaminate all.

To expand the shades of meaning for secrecy and concealment the technical terms "clandestine" and "covert" evolved. Clandestine refers to activity hidden but not disguised; covert to activity disguised but not hidden. This distinction is important for us to grasp. Clandestine activity is secret because it is concealed. Covert activity is concealed because it is secret. Both are secret, both exist in a continuum of concealment and at the point where one form passes into that of another the same principle of tradecraft apply.

In the traditional sense distinctions between covert and clandestine are deemed necessary to permit denials; a matter of statecraft, not tradecraft. The opposition finds these distinctions significant for other reasons. Sophisticated underground activity from inception through the planning stage is clandestine in character. Upon commission of the activity and thereafter it is covert.

Acknowledgment of the dual character of conspiracy brings us to the dual character of counterintelligence. Counterintelligence is itself clandestine activity expressed 1) defensively, or 2) offensively. The defensive aspect is often referred to as the security function. The security function involves physical and investigative measures designed to safeguard information, installations, personnel and operations. The offensive aspect refers to application of active countermeasures;
    counterespionage, countersabotage, or counterreconnaissance as necessity or fashion may will.

Offensively expressed counterintelligence activity is composed of two elements; the control element (sometimes called "preventive" counterintelligence), and operational element (sometimes called "defensive" counterintelligence).

Control measures are regulatory in character. Indeed, all federal, state and local government regulatory agencies are "feeder services" of the opposition's counterintelligence agency. Control measures involve the exercise of influence in five areas:

1. CONTROL OF IDENTITY. The exploitation of identification systems such as vital statistic certificates, driving and other licenses.

2. CONTROL OF MOVEMENT. Limitation or other regulation of internal and external travel.

3. CONTROL OF ACTION. Use of regulations prohibiting certain activities such as public meetings or possession of firearms.

4. CONTROL OF COMMUNICATION. Regulation or exploitation of broadcast communications and telecommunications, whether public or private.

5. CONTROL OF PUBLICATIONS. Censorship, tacit or expressed, of newspapers or private publishing.

Operational measures are uniformly based on the extensive use of informant services. Operational measures are as follows.

1. SURVEILLANCE. Surveillance includes the selective use of static observation posts located in the area of targets of continuing counterintelligence interest. Examples are organization headquarters, airline terminals, bus stations, hotels, and the homes of suspects. Also included is mobile surveillance of counterintelligence targets and sub-targets.

2. INTERCEPTION. The techniques of interception are applied against communications. Included are postal monitors, telephonic and telegraphic monitors, detection and monitoring of clandestine transmitters and the direct interdiction of secured information systems, carriers, or repositories.

3. PROVOCATION. Provocation involves offers of service or supply, the use of false information, and incitement.

4. PENETRATION. Penetration of groups or conspiracies may be accomplished by direct involvement, indirect enlistment, or the exploitation of double agents.

5. INTERROGATION. Interrogation is used against targets and sub-targets in custody, and persons named in previous interrogations.

6. SEARCHES. Searches are conducted against persons, places, or conveyances. Searches run the gamut from extensive cordon operations to snap searches.

Brief notice must be made of the so-called human factors approach to counterintelligence operations. Human factors operations involve the production of estimative intelligence intended to portray the psychological profile of a given counterintelligence target. Examples of techniques employed are indirect personality assessment; analysis of written materials by means of word count and frequency of use; indirect monitoring of certain biological functions; observance of historical behavioral trends, and (in desperation) mystical methods such as handwriting analysis and astrological charting. Please note that what we here describe is not uniquely counterintelligence methodology as assumes much of the character of the
    basic analytical function.

Having developed a common ground of terminology and having offered delimitation to the broad expanse of subterfuge and detection, we now propose to justify the study of tradecraft as an end in itself. Our thesis is fortunately rather simple and expressed as follows.

Opposition counterintelligence officers engaged in the application of control and operational measures will be faced with the task of observing and reporting clandestine and covert activity. As discussed, such activity bespeaks greater or lesser degrees of secrecy and concealment designed to foil observation. The very processes of secrecy and concealment therefore become a valid and in many cases the only target for observation. Understanding the character of these processes (id est, understanding tradecraft) will sensitize the counterintelligence officer to the manner in which observation is being manipulated, and in consort with other methodology permit him to pierce the veil of secrecy, uncovering that which is concealed.

We again briefly note the functions of counterintelligence, this time in terms of the corresponding means of secrecy and concealment used to cloak underground activity.

1. CONTROL MEASURES. Control measures are foiled by the arrangements of cover, the application of countersurveillance techniques, and the use of safe-houses.

2. OPERATIONAL MEASURES. In addition to cover, countersurveillance, and safe-houses, operational measures are foiled by the techniques of clandestine meetings, drops, and secret writing.

Each opposition counterintelligence function has to contend with one or more diametrically opposed protective or communicative elements. This is because hidden activity is, after all, a normal process of interaction between human beings; complicated by necessity for secrecy and concealment and the assumption of active attempts at detection.

Axiomatic in the counterintelligence profession is the idea that individuals are most vulnerable when in communication or movement. Why is this? One answer has to do with the quality of counterintelligence itself. Another has to do with the exigencies of agency. Human beings, when used as instruments for the performance of secret activity in lieu or on behalf of others are known as agents. Extensive use of agents, as we know, is a hallmark of conspiracy. Agency by its very definition includes measures of direction and control and an altogether logical and safely assumed process of dialogue. Detection of such communication is in many cases de facto evidence of underground activity. The foiled equipment buy or the foiled
    passage of documents are two ready examples.

_

Posted byLeslie Bates at 9:29 PM

http://newresister.blogspot.com/2008/11/principles-of-clandestine-behavior.html

40. searcher

[h=1]Survival: Are We Aware Enough?, by S.S.[/h]
    March 9, 2015 - 4:41 am | Survival Mindset

There is a common theme in most of the dystopian, post-apocolyptic, zombie, killer virus, alien invasion novels that goes unnoticed by many reviewers and readers alike. Perusal of the vast survivalist and prepper websites out there shows few articles or references made to this theme. Yet, it remains the most fundamental aspect of survival– self-awareness. I mean that no matter how many gadgets, survival kits, food kits, and weapons you have, if you are not mindful of how you will react to fear, sadness, loneliness, and loss, your survival is threatened.

Sam Sisavath has written a wonderfully entertaining book on a version of the zombie apocalypse that carries throughout it one theme– “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.” I take from this not only to have the right tools for survival but to increase your self-awareness. Unfortunately, in the good ole’ USA, survival preparation has fallen victim to commercialism, and so we seek out the “stuff” to protect ourselves. However, no amount of weaponry or supplies will matter, should you be unprepared to evaluate situations, formulate a plan, and be aware of what may go wrong, and it doesn’t end there. One’s awareness has to focus internally, on what you will think and feel in times that are scary and threatening to you and your loved ones.

Awareness comes in many forms. Awareness of one’s surroundings, including physical, situational, and political, is perhaps what is taught most in many survivalist courses and books. These are critical to dealing with threats, both minor and major. What is often missed in teaching awareness is how we will emotionally react to these threats. We are so lucky in 2015 in the U.S. to have relatively significant means by which to live and prosper. Compared to most countries, our ability to eat, sleep, find resources, and thrive is very easy, even for people at lower income levels. So, I ask these questions to you: What part of your life will be most affected if the power grid fails? What will you miss most about your life should a nuclear accident occur? Is it the Internet? Is it your favorite burger? These are small questions, and they may not seem important relative to whether you have sufficient iodine tablets for water purification, but this leads me to the most important aspect of awareness– self-awareness.

Please forgive the remainder of this essay, as I will delve into more philosophy than tactics. However, I feel that this hits at the fundamental problem with a survivalist philosophy. Self-awareness is the most underestimated aspect of life. We live in a world where our motivations and desires derive from many different sources. This is based largely on how we were raised. Many of us turn to religion for answers regarding what we should seek from our lives and how we should judge our own and others’ actions. Some of us find those answers in different philosophical traditions. Some of us rely more on our own intuition. How ever we have formed our life philosophy and how we make decisions, both large and small, relies on that philosophy to carry us.

Remember, however, that our philosophy is based on the challenges we have encountered in our lives. So, if we were raised in a Christian ethic with few encounters with violence, illness, or struggle, our philosophy may be vastly different than that of the atheist who has dealt with violence on an almost daily basis. The choices we have made regarding career, family, money, housing, transportation, and more are all shaped by this life philosophy whether we admit it or not.

So what? What does this matter when the situation changes? Many survivalist writers and bloggers have stated plainly that the survival instinct trumps any life philosophy, because we will revert to more animalistic tendencies. Perhaps, but take a minute to think of your family. Many of us who appreciate the possible threats to our comfortable American life have spouses or family members who think we are “crazy” or “reactionary”. Where does this reaction come from? Likely it is from fear, fear of a world that is violent and unforgiving. Perhaps it is fear of discomfort without the luxuries of modern American life. I will argue that it comes from a lack of self-awareness. Let’s return to the question, what will I miss most in a world without power? For those who deny the survivalist philosophy, I argue that they cannot ask that question because they fear they will not be able to live in a such a world. In a world of discomfort and violence, the life philosophy you have created with those comforts will likely fall apart, and for many people that will challenge their very core beliefs.

So what really fuels our survival? Self-awareness will guide you through the most trying of times. I am not writing this from any religious or philosophical point of view, except to say that when all semblance of modern society is gone, how will you react? I don’t mean tactically; I mean how will you react to fear, to sadness, to isolation, to threats from people you trust, and to feelings of hopelessness. Because in modern society, where we can suppress our reactions to the most dire situations with a latte or a beer, we are often able to avoid challenging our most basic human emotions. We are different from animals, and it is our reason and intellect that is most at threat in a survival situation, even if we can physically survive on beef jerky and rainwater.

Our preparations are necessary. Learning tactics for finding food, surviving environmental and human threats, and rebuilding necessary infrastructure are vitally important. However, this preparation assumes that we are emotionally stable and motivated to do so. While survivalist courses and even many of our experiences in life have given us tastes of deprivation, both physical and emotional, many of us are lucky to return to the comfortable life. Have we all thought about the scenario where that comfortable life is gone? Where we can’t call our loved ones in another state to “check in”? Where our sons and daughters who are away at school are no longer in contact and we don’t know if they are alive or dead? No matter how big our bunker is, are we prepared emotionally for the loss of our family?

I don’t pretend to know the answer, but I think about this often. I love my family more than anything on this earth. If I were to be without them, could I survive? If my children were without me or their mother, could they survive? Would any of us be self-aware enough to understand our sadness or loss and to keep going despite little hope of a return to “normal society?” Do we intend to suppress our emotional response to survival situations, only to have that emotional response present itself at the wrong time? Faced with a true threat to our family or ourselves, will we be able to truly disregard our humanity and kill another person? These questions are central to survival, and our modern life has allowed us the luxury of avoiding them.

All of us have dealt with loss in one form or another in our lives, so I don’t mean to imply that we are incapable of dealing with it, but we have done so in a comfortable society and environment without imminent threat. In a world where those comforts are gone, will we still have the fortitude to manage our emotions and maintain a level head? Unfortunately, many of the situations I describe above we will not ever face in today’s modern society, and so if we don’t ask these difficult questions we may never be prepared.

I don’t have the answers for these questions, but in our worst case scenarios we will inevitably face them. Perhaps answers exist in religious doctrines. Perhaps philosophical tenets will provide guidance. Above all, preparation for a chaotic and violent world requires emotional preparation, if not only for you then for your family. If you have not thought about this, please do, because your survival depends on it.

http://survivalblog.com/survival-are-we-aware-enough-by-s-s/