1. Snow and cold in the North as winter returns
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1258.30-- UP 19.20 Silver $18.33-- UP 30 Oil $53.99-- UP 21 USD $101.09 -- UP 14 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1309.66 (1), SAE $21.82 (20)

Small US Gold Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Starter, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

One of the coins has a tiny speck on the front.

I'm not sure whether the mark is part of the coin, the capsule, or just a piece of dust.

My expert numismatist friend or the coin shop owner might be able to tell me whether it is worth sending in for grading...

The price is a little lower, and I don't plan to sell them.

More importantly, though, I don't like milk spots!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

I have a bunch of the silver ATB quarter proof sets. My LCD sold them to me a year or so ago as junk 90%. I think I paid 12xs face. All still in mint case. I just don't see the upside in these....except for the eventual increase in the price of silver 30 years from now (maybe sooner, but not this week apparently).

3. Starter

The Mint sales figures are in now!

9/25/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CH 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 12325
    Commemoratives 16CJ 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5314
    Commemoratives 16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4256
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3146
    Commemoratives 16CG 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 12901

10/2/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CH 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 12351
    Commemoratives 16CJ 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5321
    Commemoratives 16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4292
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3157
    Commemoratives 16CG 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 12953

That comes to 11 coins for the NPS gold unc and 7 coins for the MT gold unc.

For the gold prf coins, it is 88 for the NPS gold prf and 26 for the MT gold prf.

Sales of the NPS gold unc have actually dipped the last week, even counting the 3 coins I purchased on 9/26. Not counting the coins I bought, only 8 NPS gold unc coins were sold in the last week...no wonder my order was delayed a few days!

One week from now, a price drop from the Mint may happen, and I expect more gold coin sales at the Mint. Going by the existing trend, though, I think that any extra sales will more likely happen with the NPS 3-coin prf set instead of the NPS gold unc.

4. Starter

I believe you got a good deal on those silver proof sets. As I understand, there actually is a collector market for those. Personally, I buy the clad ATB proof sets specifically to collect them.

Many of the common/lower-graded gold commemorative half eagles can also be purchased near their melt value (usually around 5% premium or less above melt).

If a higher premium is attached to the price of the coin, then one should be very careful to weigh the potential value of that coin in numismatic terms. The highest premium I paid for a gold coin was about 40%.

5. Usc96

Usc96 Gold Member Gold Chaser

Here is what comes to mind when I hear small US gold coins.

Attached Files:

Fjpod, savvydon and Starter like this.
  6. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nice stuff!

Usc96 likes this.
  7. Usc96

Thanks! Next up is a Mint State $3 gold coin. They are not easy to find.

savvydon likes this.
  8. Starter

10/2/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CH 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 12351
    Commemoratives 16CJ 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5321
    Commemoratives 16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4292
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3157
    Commemoratives 16CG 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 12953

10/9/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CH 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 12375
    Commemoratives 16CJ 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5334
    Commemoratives 16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4319
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3180
    Commemoratives 16CG 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 13030

So this time, we saw sales of 23 coins for the NPS gold unc and 13 coins for the MT gold unc.

At this point, it may be useful to take a step back and compare these mintage figures with those of the 2012, 2013, and 2015 gold unc coins, for the week of mid oct:

About one month ago, I listed the above figures to help project the mintage numbers of the 2016 gold unc coins. Last month's figures of the 2016 coins, combined with this month's, gives us the below figures:

2016 Mark Twain
    mid sep 5,283
    mid oct 5,334

2016 National Park
    mid sep 3,047
    mid oct 3,180

This shows sales of 133 for the NPS gold unc and 51 for the MT gold unc, over the last month. By comparison, the 2012, 2013, and 2015 gold unc coins had sales of 235, 255, and 111 in corresponding months. Clearly, both 2016 gold unc coins are lagging their prior year counterparts in sales for the month.

With today's price drop at the Mint for gold coins, however, the true test comes regarding whether the 2016 gold unc coins will maintain their very low rate of sales. The jump in sales of the 2012 and 2013 coins may have been the result of lower prices at the Mint. Over the next few weeks, we will see whether today's price drop results in higher sales for the 2016 gold uncs.

Up to now, however, the outlook for low mintage still looks great for the NPS gold unc. Even if a surge results from the lowered price, the current total is still low enough to give us a good buffer through the rest of the year, in order to compete with the 2013 coin.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  9. Starter

10/9/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CH 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 12375
    Commemoratives 16CJ 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5334
    Commemoratives 16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4319
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3180
    Commemoratives 16CG 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 13030

10/16/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CH 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 12402
    Commemoratives 16CJ 2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5348
    Commemoratives 16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4331
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3197
    Commemoratives 16CG 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 13100

That makes 17 coins sold for NPS gold unc and 14 coins sold for MT gold unc.

For the prf gold coins, we have 82 coins sold for NPS gold prf and 27 coins sold for MT gold prf.

This is great news, as it means that the drop in prices due to lower spot price of gold did not result in higher sales for the NPS gold unc!

We only need to wait 11 more weeks for the final sales totals to be known. Time to get ready for the next purchase of 2 more gold unc coins...

10. Starter

Two of the NPS gold unc coins just went for 635 this week:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=291730233256&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

I believe that the collectors are starting to feel the squeeze with this coin now, and this trend will begin with the buyers who are uncomfortable either buying at the Mint, sending their coins in for grading, or both.

Fortunately, I am someone who is comfortable buying at the Mint, and willing to try sending in coins for grading for the first time.

By the way, regarding the choice between 2 NPS gold unc or 1 NPS and 1 MT gold unc, I am now leaning toward 2 NPS gold unc, for a few reasons:

1) With one NPS gold unc having a noticeable speck on the front, I want to increase the chances of having MS 70 coins of the NPS gold unc.
    2) Up to this week in mid-October, there are no signs of accelerated sales of the NPS gold unc; on the contrary, sales remain very slow, even after a price drop at the Mint.
    3) As mentioned above, there are signs of upward price movement on eBay for the NPS gold unc.

Although it would be nice to have at least 1 MT gold unc, I feel that I cannot afford that luxury, with my current budget that allows buying only 5 of the 2016 gold unc coins.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  11. Starter

A slight change of plan now...instead of buying just 2 more NPS gold unc coins, I now plan to buy 3 more, leaving only 1 more coin to be purchased until the end of 2017.

I made this decision because 1 of the 3 coins I already bought has a tiny speck on the front, as I wrote earlier. Rather than risking that coin grading at less than MS 70, I will just keep it as a raw coin until the next batch of 5 coins is ready to be graded.

Although this probably means keeping the coin in OGP for a few years or so, at least I will then have a better idea of how the 2016-w NPS gold unc coin stands in the market before sending in this coin to be graded.

If I continue on the track of focusing on gold half eagles (both classic and commemorative), I can see myself looking at the mintage numbers of the 2017 and 2018 coins, to see whether I should buy raw versions of those coins--but I'm pessimistic for years 2017 and 2018, at this point. My feeling is that this year, 2016, is a perfect storm for the gold unc commemorative coins (in particular, the NPS), and we may never see a year like it for many years to come. Even then, coins with mintage comparable to the 2013 5-star generals or the 2016 Mark Twain may still emerge, bringing buying opportunities of that caliber.

Reading between the lines my statements above, one can correctly say that I believe the 2016 NPS gold unc coin will probably perform better than the 2013 5-star generals coin, starting next year.

12. Starter

Here we go again, though the plan is now to buy 6 coins instead of 5, leaving room in the budget through the end of 2017 for only 1 more gold half eagle (whether modern or classic). I made this change of plan to allow for keeping one of the coins ungraded, in case there happen to be imperfections in one of the coins.

On 9/26, I purchased 3 of those coins, while the Mint prices were in the 1300 to 1350 price bracket. Now that the Mint prices are in the 1250 to 1300 price bracket, I plan to buy the other 3 coins while Mint prices remain in this bracket. Looking at recent gold prices, this window of opportunity may end as soon as 11/9, or next Wednesday.

The mintage numbers of this coin are very promising. For the week ending October 30, 2016, we have:

Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3246

So over the course of 8 weeks, the Mint sold 199 of these coins, or about 25 coins per week. If this pace is maintained for the rest of the year (which has less than 9 weeks remaining), it would mean that less than 225 more coins will be sold this year, resulting in a total mintage of 3471, easily breaking the mintage record for this series.

Of course, this still assumes that no massive surge in sales happens for this coin throughout the year, but even if one happens, the coin can still afford a sales surge of 200 coins per week (amounting to about 1800 more coins sold for the year), resulting in a mintage of less than 5100, which still breaks the mintage record.

Even so, with all the other gold alternatives being offered at the Mint to compete with this coin (e.g., the Mark Twain coins and the Centennial coins), I do not anticipate such a sales surge happening for this coin, with any high likelihood.

13. Starter

Order completed again!

100th Anniversary of the National Park Service 2016 $5 Gold Uncirculated Coin
    WEST POINT (W)
    $412.60 Qty 3 Total: $1,237.80

Amount: $1,242.75
    Items (3) Subtotal:$1,237.80
    Shipping & Handling: $4.95
    Order Total:$1,242.75

Due to the very good mintage numbers and sales records on eBay, I have decided to focus on the NPS gold unc coin.

Forfeiting the opportunity to buy the Mark Twain coin was a hard decision for me, but I wanted to give myself the best chances of having more NPS coins graded at MS 70. The one coin with an apparent imperfection is a little concerning to me, and I addressed that concern by buying one more National Park Service coin than originally planned.

On the topic of eBay sales, this weekend I saw that one MS 70 coin was sold at 640 in the last few days, up a tad from the price of 635 about a week ago. Less than 9 weeks remain in the sales period for this coin, so we will soon be able to see how prices of the coin on eBay respond to the sales cutoff!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  14. savvydon

If you are buying multiples with the idea of sending them in for grading one technique is to purchase a couple more than you think you need/want and examine them all closely under a 5x or higher loop or binocular microscope. If you see significant imperfections you can return the offending coin to the mint for a full refund.

Starter likes this.
  15. Starter

I should practice that technique in the future.

With this group of coins, I'll just let my expert numismatist friend comment on the one problematic coin. If it is the worst coin of the 6, then the next question to ask is whether it has a good chance of grading at MS 70. Depending on the price picture of the coin next year, it may be worth a gamble to get it graded anyway, if the price difference between MS 70 and raw is large enough.

Based on my limited knowledge, the tiny speck is just a by-product of the special sandblasting process that appears to be done on these uncirculated coins. At one tiny point on the surface, the orientation of a sandblasted particle is pointing in a different direction than most of the other particles, resulting in the particle being more obvious when viewed in light.

16. savvydon

Grading is certainly an inexact science. With practice comes consistency. Definitely use at least 5x power and a good light source. You may see irregularities on the MS coins that are part of the minting process, including faint die polishing lines. Usually these will show up in the same place on multiple coins.

To hone your accuracy record your expected grades before the coins are submitted. Over time you will get a better feel for what is 70 and what is 69 at the grading services.

Starter likes this.
  17. Starter

Today my second set of 3 NPS coins arrived, but I have some doubts about the condition.

Similar to the one coin in my first set that has a bright speck when viewed at a certain angle, all 3 coins in my second set have two specks a few millimeters apart from each other, at approximately the same location on each coin. The double specks make the single speck on my other coin look minor.

Maybe it is a byproduct of the sandblasting process used for these coins and perhaps not serious enough to endanger the condition of the coins, but I am a little concerned.

I plan to take them to the coin dealer tomorrow to ask his opinion regarding the condition.

18. Starter

The dealer was not willing to give his opinion on the coins, with modern commemorative coins being out of his area of expertise.

After looking at the imperfections on the 3 coins myself many times (using both indoor and outdoor lighting), I decided that I could not keep the coins with a clear conscience. Moreover, the price of gold crashed yesterday, as we all know, raising the likelihood that the Mint coin prices will actually drop soon (not rise, as I was led to believe only a few days ago).

Ultimately, I decided to send back all 3 coins for a refund, using the return label and form provided by the Mint. It will be a tense 3 to 4 days as I monitor the tracking number and make sure that I get my refund for returning the coins.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  19. Starter

Mintage numbers are in again!

Let me now post the numbers of the 2016-w NPS gold unc coins over the last 3 weeks:

10/30/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3246

11/06/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3280

11/13/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3376

Finally, sales of this coin have started to accelerate in the last week, with 96 coins sold, compared to 34 coins sold in the previous week. Fortunately, however, only about 6 weeks remain until the product will be discontinued, and the current mintage still enjoys a significant margin below the mintage record of 5,174 (held by the 1997 Jackie Robinson coin).

Buyers are beginning to see the merits of this coin, but they are torn between spending their precious funds on this coin, the Mark Twain coin, the Centennial gold coins, and other gold products sold by the Mint--including the highly coveted First Spouse coins. It is a very difficult balancing act, from a buyer's perspective, that serves to keep issues like this under the radar. This perfect storm will probably not be in place next year, or many years to come.

By the way, I found that my return package containing my 2nd set of 3 NPS gold coins was received by the Mint return facility today, and I expect to get a refund within a week. The timing of this return was lucky, as the price of the coin just dropped today due to the drop in spot gold. Though this was a factor in my decision to return the coins, my lack of satisfaction in the quality of the coins was an equally important factor.

I still need to remind myself to buy the 2nd set of coins (to replace the ones returned), before the price goes up or the coin is discontinued.

stonedywankanobe and savvydon like this.
  20. savvydon

Two important points you are illustrating:

1) it is VERY hard to predict the next winner ahead of time. Many factors - timing, going against the crowd, dodging unexpected bullets, and plain old good luck, are all in the mix.

2)For all the bashing the mint gets around here and elsewhere they are generally very responsive, generous, and more than fair with the way the treat their customers.

Starter likes this.
  21. Starter

11/13/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3376

11/20/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3423

This week's sales of the NPS gold unc totaled 47, a significant drop from last week's sales total of 96. This number confirms my observation that although collectors and dealers are beginning to see the potential of this coin, they are not buying the coin in large numbers due to the many other numismatic options being offered by the Mint this year, drawing away potential funds that could be used to buy this coin.

The credit for the return of my second set of 3 coins has now been applied to my credit card, giving me back the dry powder to buy a replacement set of 3 coins, at a lower cost than before--this cost may possibly go down again next Wednesday, depending on how spot gold performs in the meantime--anyway, I should wait some time to ensure that the Mint does not send the same set of 3 coins that I returned earlier!

I am still thinking about buying a Mark Twain gold unc or a silver NPS unc, instead of the 3rd NPS gold unc. All 3 of the NPS uncs, including the gold, silver, and clad, are on track to end the year at record low mintage numbers! Besides the gold unc having a very low number of 3423, the silver unc now stands at 19,288 and the clad at 17,432...both very low as well. And the Mark Twain gold unc, despite selling on eBay at lower prices than the NPS gold unc, is still worthy of consideration, as it may be difficult to get one next year at a reasonable price, if I decide later that I want to have one.

22. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Fame is fleeting.

I have been tracking a certain gold coin, though not particularly small. It is a PF70. I missed the opportunity to buy it when it came out and kicked myself ever since. Well lo and behold, it's apparently no longer as 'hot' as it was. Now the price is within $100 of where it was "back then". So with the dropping price of gold and apparently the loss of hotness (I guess everyone has theirs now), opportunity is knocking once again. Will this coin ever be hot again? I doubt it, I would just like to have it to complete a certain set I'm making. But I could make a different set without it too. Decisions, decisions.

23. Starter

The coin you are describing must be the 2014 Kennedy gold half dollar.

I think the hype was unjustified. It can be argued that the coin is not a true Kennedy half dollar, being so much different from the others. The coin diverges from the norm with its color, composition, proof finish, and dual date.

The Mint was smart in making the 2016 Centennial gold coins have a non-proof finish and single date--but I think platinum would have been a better metal for all of the coins, due to the color--the issue price also would have been more attractive, compared to gold.

The 2014 Baseball HOF coin, on the other hand, had a good reason to justify the hype, in being a curved coin. As a unique type of coin, I believe it will establish a solid price level in the secondary market over the years, unlike the Kennedy coin. Even the 69s will be in demand, I believe, as they are still curved coins, after all.

If you really want the coin, then patient bidding with a set price limit will give you good chances. Just look for auctions where the competition is likely to be weaker.

24. MrLucky

Gambling man
    No, it is not. I have one of those in PF70 already. I bought it raw & submitted it myself. I also have Jackie, first spouse in 70 grade. They make a nice pair.

This coin is older than that. Christmas may come early this year.

25. Usc96

Are you considering the 2009 UHR saint? Great coin and one of the very few modern gold coins from the US Mint that is truly a hit in my humble opinion. I got one when they came out, still appreciate it when I pull it out of the lockbox.

26. MrLucky

Gambling man
    I made this post just to make note that today's great coin, may be tomorrows good coin. Here's what I was thinking to do & the collection I was trying to make. I have the 2013 bullion Buffalo in MS70 and a 2013 reverse proof Buffalo in RP70. I ran out of funds/couldn't decide to pull the trigger and buy the 2013-W coin (back in 2013). I thought back then it would be nice to have all 2103 Buffalo's in 70 grade. Well that didn't happen and the coin sold out. To compound the problem, the 2013-w ended up with a lower mintage than the 2008-w (the previous key) and it was then the new key for the series. Prices shot up. groan. What I could have bought in PR70 for $1640, now cost over $2300-2500. Oh well, I didn't want it 'that' bad.

Fast forward.

It turns out that the 2015-w Buffalo now has the lowest mintage. It's the new series key, but it's not appreciated as it's too early (read Jordans book for more info). The 2013 is now the second key and the 2008 is the third key. So here I sit...... the 2013-w has now dropped to a price I would consider, BUT the opportunity to pickup the new key at a very desirable price is clouding my judgment. Meanwhile I have watched both coins get sold (at the dealer I was watching while trying to decide) and he is now sold out. I'm sure the next batch will cost more. : facepalm
    I was an idiot here too. I remember when History Student was hawking this coin constantly. At $800 raw (I think that was the price), it may be the biggest steal of the century. Here is my second problem. I have the 2015 UHR in 70 grade. Picking up the 2009 UHR in 70 grade would make a nice pair. And is an option as prices seem to have fallen here too, making the coin more reachable.

Or just buy some bullion at the now rather depressed prices.

Or sit on the powder and wait for prices to drop some more.

Decisions, decisions.....

27. Starter

The fundamental problem you illustrate here with both types of 1-oz gold coins is the size of each coin. A 1-oz gold coin from the Mint, whether it be a Buffalo or a Saint-Gaudens 1-oz coin, is approximately 4 times the cost of a gold half-eagle at the time of issue.

This means that collectors of these coins must pay 4 times as much money for each variety of the coin they want to include in their collection, compared to buying coins for a collection of half eagles, whether classic or modern.

The more expensive nature of the 1-oz coins serves to drive overall mintage numbers down, but it also makes it more difficult to accumulate the coins in your own collection.

28. MrLucky

Gambling man
    What you say is true, but also I've come to notice that many here have very deep pockets. So size doesn't really matter to some. I am not one of them. ;)

29. Starter

11/20/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3423

11/27/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3456

Only 33 coins sold over the last week! The possibility of this coin breaking the low mintage record is now one step closer to reality.

On the other hand, everyone knows by now that a price drop at the Mint is almost certain to happen tomorrow afternoon. Maybe people are saving their money in anticipation of the price drop, just like me...

I've made the decision to buy at least 2 more NPS gold unc coins, with the possibility a 3rd coin. Depending on my mood when making the order, I may buy a 3rd coin, an NPS silver unc coin, or a Mark Twain gold unc coin.

30. Starter

11/27/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3456

12/04/2016 cumulative sales:
    Commemoratives 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3699

As expected, the drop in price at the Mint resulted in a surge of sales, with 243 coins sold over the last week!

If there were more than 4 weeks left in the buying period for this coin, I would be waiting to see whether the price drops again, but now the Mint is offering free shipping until 12/11, and this coin will be discontinued very soon--which means I'll be preparing to buy this week.

At this accelerated rate of sales, we are most likely to see the mintage number exceed the 4k mark, but not the 5k mark--this would result in the only coin in the series with a mintage below 5k.

31. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Worth following the Park unc gold definitely. However, I expect to see heavy sales the last week of availability.

32. hernancortes

33. Starter

The hope is that other products like the Centennial gold coins, the Mark Twain coin, and the First Spouse coins will take a chunk of potential sales away from this coin.

34. Starter

Order completed again!

100th Anniversary of the National Park Service 2016 $5 Gold Uncirculated Coin
    WEST POINT (W)
    $388.30 Qty 2 Total: $776.60

No 3rd coin for this order, as I will probably not have the time to make another return.

The plan is now to send in all 5 coins for grading, when I am ready.

35. hernancortes

12/11/2016 16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3984

Starter likes this.
  36. Starter

An increase of 285 coins over the previous week's total.

As I understand, the ending date for this coin is 12/29/2016, which gives it about 2.5 more weeks of sales past the last mintage report date.

At this rate, I guess the coin would end with a mintage of around 4750.

37. Starter

The coins have arrived!

No glaring defects. The coins seem to have rough surfaces, but this seems to be part of the design.

38. chud

chud Seeker

Systems Administrator
    Wow, that is a fascinating (and scary) article. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  39. Starter

After closer inspection, I found a speck in between the date numerals on both coins.

I believe there is still time to return the coins, and I can expect to get a discount on the replacement coins once the Mint lowers their prices this Wednesday. I just need to make sure to buy the replacement coins separately (not as a direct replacement of the returned coins). I also need to make the final purchase before the 12/29/2016 deadline, even if the refund credit hasn't been processed by that time. The return process should be easier the second time around...

40. Starter

I just sent my 2nd return package this afternoon. The USPS tracking status is currently "In-Transit".

Being somewhat familiar with the return process now, I have faith that I will get my refund, sooner or later. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the price to drop this Wednesday, so that I can buy my replacement coins at a lower price.