1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Small US Gold Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Starter, Mar 5, 2016.

1. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Lost another 4 coins to 5160.

Starter likes this.
  2. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

When one coin is the center of attention, there is no need to point out which one it is.

Something tells me that the 2017 Boys Town coin coming later this year will be overshadowed by this coin, even after the release. Maybe it will still get a low mintage, due to lack of attention...but it won't have the advantage of as many competing gold coin offerings at the Mint.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Starter

By the way, Louis Golino seems to have high hopes for the Boys Town coin, but I have learned to disregard his prognostications, for the most part.

4. hernancortes

If there's a prognosticator who is consistently, uncannily correct about moderns I have yet to meet him. The 2008-2011 years had a lot of people like me thinking this is all a piece of cake and look at us now. Until a new bull in pm's and a subsequent bull in numis the pain for those who bought high, and the boredom for others continues.

savvydon likes this.
  5. hernancortes

10 more removed. 5150.

6. Starter

Good insurance to cover for any counting errors.

I think it is now safe to say that the new mintage record will stand.

7. Starter

One lucky bidder on eBay got a 2013 5-Star Generals coin at MS70 for $490 (with $5.95 shipping), about a week ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-P-5-St...993147?hash=item3ad8d5cbbb:g:FWcAAOSwImRYgq89

Granted, this coin was knocked from the 2nd place spot in the mintage rankings by the 2016 NPS coin, but its mintage is only a few hundred higher than the 1997 JR coin and it was easily going for $600 less than a year ago.

I will be looking for this coin to stabilize somewhere around this price, but maybe closer to the mid-500s.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Starter

oldgaranddad likes this.
  9. hernancortes

Grading results/ submission of 20 Parks gold $5 unc at pcgs: (14) MS70, (6) MS69

savvydon likes this.
  10. Starter

That is one more thing still on my to-do list for this year.

I will probably go with NGC, as that is my preference.

11. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I decided to stay 'raw' this time.

12. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Pretty bold move to the hoop.:2 thumbs up:

hernancortes likes this.
  13. Starter

Speaking of sports, seeing this coin win the "super bowl" in overtime was quite a relief, especially for someone on the wrong side of this year's actual super bowl.

14. Starter

Finally...sales of the 2015-w US Marshals gold unc have been rising in price on eBay within the last 6 weeks, with sales of 485, 440, 469, and 465 for MS70 coins.

My buy prices for the MS70 coins I purchased were 419, 405, and 388. Taking the average of these prices, 404, and comparing it to the average of the 4 recent sales on eBay, 464, we are genuinely starting to see solid footing for this coin's price on eBay. I credit this development to the recent success of the 2016-w National Park Service gold unc coin, which has created a positive ripple effect in the prices of other gold unc commemoratives (especially the 2016-w Mark Twain coin, which I now regret not buying last year...the Mark Twain coin is now selling in the upper 600s, only about 100 below the NPS coin).

I have been patiently waiting for this time over the course of more than a year!

15. Starter

Speak of the devil...I found auctions for both of these coins over the weekend and won both of them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-W-US-G...975145?hash=item2cbcda29a9:g:s1IAAOSwSlBY4Vd~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-W-US-G...972051?hash=item2cbcda1d93:g:qR8AAOSwU8hY4VbB

Due to the unusual timing of these auctions (both ending on an afternoon, instead of an evening), I think there were fewer bidders than usual, resulting in lower auction prices. The prices with shipping for the two coins were 439 for the Mark Twain coin and 399 for the US Marshals coin, both graded at MS70, which are both significantly lower than recent sale prices for both coins.

The moral of the story is that auction prices tend to be lower than "buy it now" prices. In these examples, the difference in price for each coin was substantial. I enjoyed an "auction discount" of $50+ for the US Marshals coin and $150+ for the Mark Twain coin (readers of my posts may have noticed my anxiety over failing to buy this coin at a good price...at last, this anxiety has been dispelled!).

It seems that the "auction discount" tends to be larger for less well-known coins. In these cases, the scarcity of both of these coins was probably not recognized by casual bidders, but more informed buyers (aware of the low mintage of these coins) were willing to shell out more money for these coins with the "buy it now" method.

16. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nice snags. Seems like you are on your way to forming the nucleus of a nice $5 gold commem collection. Congrats

Starter likes this.
  17. Starter

As I remember from last year, I started collecting these coins in order to branch away from the ATB 5-oz series I have been collecting over the last 4 years.

Out of the 18 $5 gold coins I have bought up to now, many of them are NGC-graded coins bought by auction on eBay. I enjoy being in the driver's seat and having some control over the prices of the coins I buy. I try hard to discipline myself to avoid paying too much for a coin, by setting limits on my bids. I also like the extra security provided by the NGC slab and serial number (although a few NGC counterfeits exist, I believe the modern commems will be harder to counterfeit).

My first gold coin was a MS70 NGC 2015-w Marshals gold unc coin, and yesterday's auction win will bring my count of that coin to 4. I am happy to own these 4 coins, as I still think the coin has more upside in the market. I believe this coin marks the first issue of the new wave of rare unc gold coins from the Mint, closely following the previous wave of coins from 2011 to 2013. There is quite a gap in price between this coin and the 2012-w Star Spangled Banner coin, which I still believe will be narrowed.

I am also encouraged by the great performance of the 2016-w NPS gold unc in the secondary market, but I still have work to do for the 6 of these coins I bought last year. I plan to send them in to NGC for grading, along with some of the 2017 silver dollar commems I ordered recently.

After the dust settles from tax reporting, spring yard maintenance, and my most recent wave of coin purchases, I will look into sending in those National Park coins for grading.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  18. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I did pick up a NGC PF-69 Ultra Cameo 1997-W Jackie Robinson $5 Gold coin (Proof version) for $375 from a LCS last month. I usually do not buy $5 gold commemorative coins since it is outside what I usually collect but I liked that particular one and that is why I bought it. This is my first $5 gold commemorative coin that I purchased.

Starter likes this.
  19. Starter

If that was your first one, I'd say it was a very good choice. Reason number one is that it is a well-known coin. Reason number two is that you probably saved a lot of money by choosing the proof over the unc.

Silver Art likes this.
  20. Starter

Some good news and bad news...

First, the bad news.

This afternoon while I was at the office for work, I just witnessed the 2015-w US Marshals MS70 $5 Gold coin making a fresh low in eBay prices, shattering the low point of $395 held a few weeks ago by 3 auctions in one weekend. Today's auction of the coin broke that low by $26, and together with the sub-$400 sales a few weeks ago, rejected the uptrend in price that seemed to be taking place in the last few months.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-W-Five...371755?hash=item2832680d2b:g:CjMAAOSwRUhY~6QM

Now, the good news.

I was the winner of the auction! With a winning bid of $368.85, this auction brings down my price average of comparable coins from $402.95 to $396.13, and the coin has a First Day of Issue label! We are now looking at average prices equal to or below issue prices, when grading costs and results are taken into consideration. This coin has the 5th lowest mintage in the series (after both 2016-w coins, the 2013-p coin, and the 1997-w Jackie Robinson coin) and a great design, but it just can't seem to take off into the next tier of pricing.

21. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I took a look at some prices on ebay on the uncirculated version of the 1997 Jackie Robinson gold coin and I will have to agree with you on this. The premiums on the unc. version of the 1997 Jackie Robinson gold coin are a lot higher than I initially imagined.

Starter likes this.
  22. Starter

The 1997-w Unc Jackie Robinson is a coin that I consider part the "old guard" of the series. This coin, along with the 2001-w Capitol Visitor coin, seems to have established a strong collector base over the years.

Despite falling behind in the mintage rankings--the 1997-w Unc Jackie Robinson barely fell behind the 2016-w Unc National Park, and the 2001-w Capitol Visitor barely fell behind the 2015-w US Marshals (and also the 2016-w Mark Twain and 2013-P Generals coins)--no "changing of the guard" has taken place, in terms of market prices...at least not yet. The high premium of the older coins does not magically transfer to the newer coins with lower mintage, unfortunately...

At some point later, though, the low mintage of the newer coins will lead to scarcity in the secondary market, and "buy it now" sales on eBay should be able to help push up the prices of the lower mintage coins that are undervalued in the current market (such as the 2015-w US Marshals coin).

Silver Art likes this.