1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Snowflake Warning

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by itsamess, Sep 10, 2017.

1. itsamess

itsamess Silver Member Silver Miner

So wife and I were discussing how to tell when home grown pumpkin is ready ( farm girl, city boy). Grown them a few times but this year they are still green. Anyways looked up on internet and found the following at sfgate.com

Tip
    • Some pumpkins may be too heavy to lift up for evaluation. In these cases, you can carefully tilt them from side to side to determine color. Checking for a hollow sound can be done on the ground, as well, but you will need to kneel down so that you can hear the sound produced when you tap the surface.
    Warning
    • Do not try to lift the pumpkin if it is particularly heavy; you can easily injure yourself or nearby people. If necessary, use a small dolly to lift the pumpkin for evaluation.

2. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Next time you see language like this, thank a lawyer!

bb

3. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

It's a valid warning. Some pumpkins reach HUGE proportions and due to water content are incredibly heavy. Seriously, you don't want to try to lift these monstrosities as you could very well hurt yourself. Average sized pumpkins, 1' - 2' diameter can and will be heavy but not so much that they can't be turned or even lifted safely depending, of course, on one's health and physical condition.

Avg. sized and larger pumpkins are great for decorating and canning. Smaller pumpkins are great for pies and other baked goodies. Mrs. Alton prefers to avoid commercial canned pumpkin and instead uses fresh pumpkin for making her pies. I have to agree that fresh pumpkin makes for a superior pie. Of course topped with real whipped cream and not that stuff from the freezer at the store.

4. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Ok this really concerns me.
    Let's say you take your family to one of those farms that advertises they will take you out into those dangerous pumpkin fields to select your own pumpkins.
    How far back should we stand while watching a professional moving the pumpkin during inspection?

itsamess likes this.
  5. Joseph

Joseph Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

slacker
    Seriously ? This is beyond belief. A treatise on how to examine a fucking pumpkin.

6. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

And then we will also need a treatise on how to use the knife to cut up the pumpkin. That could require multiple certifications.

bb

7. BigJim#1-8

BigJim#1-8 Silver Member Silver Miner

We live in a Freakshow.

8. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

That's so old school...... they paint them now. Like this....
    [​IMG]

9. Joseph

Joseph Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

slacker
    We need OSHA in on this ....

10. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

I rent to some of these snowflakes and I swear they never cease to amaze me. Just the other day for example one called saying the bathtub leaked water on the floor. Long story short was that they had hung one of those nylon net things that hold a bar of soap in a way that water from the spout was splashed on the floor. What I thought was the funnies t though is they think I am some sort of genius for figuring that out...and to think these kids are in college too.

11. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

City boys and girls don't know diddly squat about this stuff. If you told them McDonald's was having a sale on meadow muffins I guarantee they would get in line!

When it comes to pumpkins and melons, yes, they can be dangerous to lift because it's an awkward package and they really can be quite heavy. Oops! There goes another back injury!

As far as telling if melons and pumpkins are ripe, you do have to know what to look for. Them folks sitting at desks all day staring at computer screens who think they've had enough exercise from pushing a mouse around all day are truly out of their element in a pumpkin or melon patch. There's no LED screens them things to say they're ripe and pushing a mouse doesn't necessarily qualify one to lift a handsome 2' diameter pumpkin.

12. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    ...and don't forget to breathe!!!!