1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Speak in terms of Resilience and not Prep

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by tom baxter, Feb 14, 2017.

1. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    I read this short posting on survivalblog this morning and it hit a chord with me. How often do we get told that as preppers we need to practice skills like farming, wilderness navigation, etc etc. All of which are usually unpractical for 90% of us. So what do many of us do instead? We stockpile Bic lighters and silver coins and regularly cycle our batteries. Not that these things are not good endeavors, but I believe as preppers we can do a lot better.

The writer talks about learning everyday skills, carpentry, welding, and learning in the process of fixing things around the home and elsewhere. I'm lucky in the sense I'm a hands on man and regularly build and repair things outside of my usual experience. One thing I have learned through this process is that
    a/ It's easy to stuff up something you have never attempted before
    b/ If you take your time and think it through at every stage, your are far less likely to stuff it up.

To achieve b/ I find drawing plans and writing the steps out on paper is a great aid.
    Here is the short post. https://survivalblog.com/letter-re-sad-and-silent/