1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Spreadsheets for Keeping Track of Purchases

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by HoldingAg, Apr 17, 2011.

1. HoldingAg

HoldingAg Seeker Seeker

Hello fellow GIM forumers,

I recently read a post by someone in one threads here in the Purchasing Precious Metals forum that went on to describe a spreadsheet used to keep track of purchases, that days spot price, the price paid so on and so forth. I suck at spreadsheets and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to upload a copy of theirs, minus the purchasing info of course, so I could start one as well. I save all of my receipts and purchase orders in an envelope and would like to track everything in one convenient place. Oh yeah I only have Microsoft Works so preferably something that works in that.

Thanks,
    holdingag

2. Silver Buck

Silver Buck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Gin Bottler
    I can make you one up (mine is customized for what I want).

Just let me know what you want to input and what you want to see, I'll take it from there.

Things I anticipate that you want to input:

Date of purchase
    Metal
    Ounces
    Spot paid
    Premium
    Tax
    Other costs (shipping for example)

Things I anticipate you want to see:

Total amount in ounces of each metal
    Total amount in costs for each metal
    Cost per ounce paid
    Percentage and amount of increase/decrease in value of each metal
    Total value of investment
    Current GSR

I haven't tried to figure out how to have a sheet pull the 'spot at the moment' prices from a website. I simple copy and 'paste special - text' the box at 'CoinInfo into the sheet and *presto*, instant update of all metals information.

I do spreadsheets for fun and wouldn't mind doing one up for you. If you have a different site that you would like to get your info from (or you could simply manually enter the info yourself) just let me know what site and I'll see if I can do something up for you from there.

I can save the sheet in .xls format if that works for you.

If anyone has a way I can have a sheet grab data from a website I'm all ears.

3. KGMe

KGMe Gold Member Gold Chaser

EDITED: Removing source material that has not been approved by the GIM2 staff as concession to our advertisers.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. npd1078

npd1078 Seeker

Im with you. I have been trying to find one as well. I have a note book but it gets confusing! If you find one and you wouldn't mind please share it. Thanks

Hello fellow GIM forumers,

I recently read a post by someone in one threads here in the Purchasing Precious Metals forum that went on to describe a spreadsheet used to keep track of purchases, that days spot price, the price paid so on and so forth. I suck at spreadsheets and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to upload a copy of theirs, minus the purchasing info of course, so I could start one as well. I save all of my receipts and purchase orders in an envelope and would like to track everything in one convenient place. Oh yeah I only have Microsoft Works so preferably something that works in that.

Thanks,
    holdingag

5. HoldingAg

HoldingAg Seeker Seeker

Silver Buck,

You are 100% right on the things I would want to imput into the sheet and the things I would like to see on the sheet. I basically use kitco at the end of the trading day to get my spot price, why do you use something else that would be better for the spreadsheet? If so just make it however you would make it for yourself. All the options you listed are perfect for what I would want/need. If you could save it in .XLS that would be awesome.

I really would appreciate a spreadsheet done up by you, and I am sure others here would as well! Thanks for your time and effort!

Thanks again,
    holdingAg

6. HoldingAg

HoldingAg Seeker Seeker

Buck,
    Now that I re-read your post... I think I might start to use CoinInfo for my spot prices as well. I was using kitcosilver.com

HoldingAg

7. KevinR

KevinR New Member

Here's what mine looks like (only showing 1 entry)

[​IMG]

8. Silver Buck

Gin Bottler
    I use CoinInfo because I can easily copy and paste. The Kitco box here cannot be copied and pasted so easily. Also, CoinInfo tends to have spot prices a bit lower. I like to be on the conservative side. Also, CoinInfo has the scrolling news articles that I'll check out from time to time.

9. Silver Buck

Gin Bottler
    Here's a pic of the basic structure of the sheet.

[​IMG]

I simply copy the info from CoinInfo and 'Paste Special - Text' onto the indicated cell in the sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sheet will update all information.

To add new purchase entries, simply highlight the row under the metal you purchased and 'Insert' a fresh row. In this case you would be clicking on '13'.

[​IMG]

Right Click and select 'Insert'.

[​IMG]

You will now have a fresh row to enter your information.

[​IMG]

As you enter your info, it will be bolded and will look like this.

[​IMG]

Once you are satisfied that your info is correct, you can un-bold your entry by highlighting the row and clicking on the 'Bold' button (you may have to click it twice).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's your updated purchase with the sheet automatically updating the rest of your data.

[​IMG]

I can customize this sheet some more. I created it with entering all of the purchase data by hand; however, I can have the sheet do any desired calculations.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

MoMoney likes this.
  10. hapai

hapai New Member

I "pull" spot prices directly from the internet using the Data->From Web functionality in Excel.
    This way I don't have to manually update spot prices every time my Excel file is opened.
    Attaching a sample file I created.
    To update the prices all you have to do is select cell A1, right click and click Refresh.
    You can also schedule the update to run automatically when you open the Excel and you can also define at what interval you want the auto-update to run when the Excel file is open!
    HTH,
    Hapai

Attached Files:

NotTheOne and Silver Buck like this.
  11. AguA

AguA Seeker Seeker

Has anyone here ever used the "MyBullionTracker" program from NWT Mint? Any issues?

Im looking to get a Mac and am not familiar yet with what I will be able to use on it.

>> Nevermind. I downloaded it and its very basic in the data displayed. I like the ability to have a detailed breakdown shown such as the examples already posted above. Not to mention, just the idea that it's linked to a website makes me leery. I may only own 2 plug nickels and a few thin dimes but they ARE mine.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011