1. Yet another holiday today for .gov and market types today in the US
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Monday, Feb. 20, all U.S. banks and financial markets will be closed in observance of the Presidents Day,
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/17/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1239.10-- Silver $18.03-- Oil $53.78-- USD $100.95 -- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1304.51 (1), SAE $21.15 (20)

stacking modern US commemoratives? ?

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by Fjpod, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Simply from a stacking POV, would it make sense to stack modern commemoratives instead of bullion?

2. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I think a lot of it depends on what type of premium that you pay for the US commemoratives. However, if you can buy a US commemorative for a low premium over melt, then you should pull the trigger on the purchase. However, I have seen some high premiums on some US commemorative because that a lot of them that I saw were slabbed with PCGS or NGC slabs but DYODD by shopping around.

3. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

yes, imo US coins are superior to bullion

they meet the definition of a silver dollar....and they have US gov backing for anti-counterfeiting

Ahillock likes this.
  4. Fjpod

Well, doing a quick analysis of prices from ...pmex
    Silver Eagles $20.54 per ounce
    Modern US Commems $24.00 per ounce (price extrapolated based on coin being .77 ounce pure silver)
    90% US Silver $19.34 per ounce (again, price extrapolated on coin being .715 ounce pure silver)

So, basing the decision on the prices from this one large company, the best value is US silver would seem to be 90%. But...if one could pick up US commems on ebay for under 20 bucks, it might be worth it.

5. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

If you spend time on eBay and get their offers you can frequently get these for just a few $ over melt and even significantly under melt. I would rather have these than some generic round. Just my $0.02.

CrimsonGuardJay likes this.
  6. 97guns

97guns Gold Member Gold Chaser

RETIRED
    tough to unload for any premium too so expect to sell for less than melt value,

i got out of all my silver commemoratives, sold them for barely over melt on ebay

7. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Collectible type coins will always have many advantages over bars and rounds, even if bought with a moderate premium.

8. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    It is not always the case with every collector coin/bar but, generally speaking, some "collectible" gold and silver bars/coins will hold their premiums fairly well in downward trending spot market.

9. Fjpod

So, A***x is selling modern silver dollar commems for about $17.50. My LCD always beats their prices, but he doesn't carry these. Right now he is offering Morgans at about $23 and Peace for $22. Silver content and value is the same. Mintages of the commems are generally a lot less. There are many selling on ebay but at much higher premiums. Usually, I buy his standard 90% for market, currently $13 times face.

So, regular 90% is the best value, but I can't help but feel that the commems are a good value. Why do they sell for so much less than Peace and Morgans?

10. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think it is a combination of factors. First, there have been so many commems produced over the past 30 years that the market is a bit flooded. Second, I think there is a sense that, while the current commems are non circulating legal tender, the silver dollars of a century ago were real money. There is a historic significance to the Morgan and Peace dollars. This historic significance factors into a little bit of extra 'numismatic value' that is responsible for the premium paid for an old time, albeit common, silver dollar. Note the regular 90% silver has the lowest premium because, while it is old time money, the US is still making these coins today, just not containing any precious metal any more.

Having said that, many of the designs on the modern commemoratives are nice, the coins are generally in uncirculated condition, and they are .999 silver. I think $17.50 for them is a bargain.

oldgaranddad likes this.
  11. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Savvydon and others have posted good advice. Buy the bargains if you can. Buy the ones you like for your enjoyment. Buy the key pieces at good price if you can but buy regular bullion as close to spot as you can for a majority of your purchases. The bullion, keys and bargains will be your best profit producers.

12. Fjpod

Actually, these modern silver dollars are only 90%, something like .745 troy ounce of silver. So, they are not as good a buy as regular 90%, but a much better deal than Peace or Morgans. Compared to ASEs, they price out about the same ounce for ounce for silver....but the mintages of the commems are much lower.

savvydon likes this.
  13. savvydon

I stand corrected. In addition to the low mintages, many commemorate people/institutions that may carry meaning for the collector.

14. Fjpod

I picked up half a dozen today for about $17.50 from the big A. A good price I think for US backed coinage in Proof or BU. I'll report back about which ones I got and their condition.

savvydon likes this.
  15. Fjpod

I have not received my coins yet, but the big question is: If I were to sell them to a dealer or back to A****, are they going to price them as junk 90% silver, or more like Morgans and Peace dollars.

I suppose I will ask my LCD, who is normally a very fair person. He always beats the prices at A****. Last year or so, I bought $100 face of 90% from him, and he was a little short of $100, so he threw in about $20 face of Silver ATB quarters in the mint holders. He said they weren't worth any more than regular 90% . I guess I have my answer. But still, dollar coins seem to command a premium?

Morgans, I can understand the "collector value". Peace dollars?? Why should they sell for more than regular 90%?

16. savvydon

Peace dollars were minted nearly a century ago and are prized for their beauty and historical significance.

Modern commemoratives have their own premiums, less than Morgan/Peace dollars but more than 90%.

Keep in mind the best way hold the value of your silver is to HOLD IT. There will always be dealer buy/sell spreads - that's how they make a living. If you must sell, best time to do it is when everyone else is buying.

17. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

In other words, buy when others don't want it so that you can sell into demand when they do.

Same as with anything that one actually wants to make money on. Those that run to "get in" as the price takes off are your future customers.
    Then you be their customer on the next bottom.

18. Fjpod

Makes sense. Fact is, I will likely never sell.

Just have to hope the heirs will do the right thing. Now what are the chances of that happening? Lol.

savvydon likes this.
  19. Joe King

Almost zero. Almost every case I've ever heard of when people inherit stuff like that, they usually want it all converted into cash.....right now. They have no care as to whether the market is up or down. They just see it as cash they cannot currently spend.

Even giving PM's as gifts usually just means that as soon as the recipient needs cash for something, it will soon be sold.
    ...and typically for less than what it's worth. Seen that personally numerous times. Better to just give cash and save them a trip to the pawn shop or jewelry store.

GOLDBRIX and Fjpod like this.
  20. Joe King

^^^ Which is why if anyone plans on NEVER selling and having it to leave to heirs, don't do it mon!

Enjoy that stuff yourself. The goal should be to have spent it all by the time you die, because you probably won't be thrilled if you could know how they'll handle your stash or what they'll end up spending it on. You'll have sacrificed in order for it all to end mostly being wasted.

This is why I found the Duck's story so sad. Odds are all his stacking is likely gonna end up having been for nothing. A potentially tragic lesson for stackers everywhere.

21. Fjpod

A lot of truth to what you say. Reminds me of an old friend who used to say, it was his life's goal, "to die owing a million dollars"....not owning a million, but having spent all his own, and owing somebody else a million.

Joe King likes this.
  22. savvydon

There is something to be said for this. I think the real fortune you leave family is your time, your care, and whatever of your value system you can pass along to them. The amount of goods you leave them might affect their speed limit, but the most important thing is to try to teach 'em the rules of the road.

Chester-Copperpot and Joe King like this.
  23. Fjpod

Got my dollars from A**** today. It only took 4 days.

Of seven coins ordered, there were only 2 duplicate coins. Most are proofs, one or two uncs. Variety of P, D, S. They are all of the most common mintages, except maybe the two Olympic coins....but that doesn't raise value anyway.

All seemed in "perfect" condition except one coin had a dark spot on the edge.

They are about what I expected. I know it seems nobody likes to collect/stack these, but to me it seems a low cost way to stack silver that is technically US legal tender.

24. savvydon

Freak that, I collect 'em:

IMG_0618.JPG
    Whoops, sorry about the upside down pic but you get the idea.;)

GOLDBRIX and stonedywankanobe like this.
  25. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Good lookin stuff Sirsavv. I picked up what I believe to be a proof like 1892 CHD that I will try to get a good pic of for 6 bucks at the lcs. Thinking it slipped through the cracks. Maybe it's a proof even and I'm serious.
    That's a nice set though.

savvydon likes this.
  26. savvydon

Definitely would like to see a pic of what you picked up.

There have been a ton of modern commems minted. A couple cost a bit but most can be picked up for dirt cheap, not too much over spot, as Fjpod has pointed out. Anyway, here are two more pics (both upside down again because I'm a special kind of guy). The top pic covers 1983-1994. The earlier pic I posted covers 1995-1999, and the bottom pic covers 2000-2010. Within a few years I should have another frame's worth of 'em. They look great on the wall of a study or living room.

IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG

27. Fjpod

Nice collection.

savvydon likes this.
  28. stonedywankanobe

SirSavv i didn't forget but ive been having issues loading pics from my crap phone lately. Just can't get a pic that shows how good this thing mirrors in hand. It has a minor nicks but other than that it's the nicest of any half I've plucked from the raw half box at the lcs. 1892.

20161011_190546.jpg

6 bucks!

20161011_190035.jpg

Reverse later maybe pic doesn't want to load.

andial likes this.
  29. savvydon

Jeez, Stoney, you may not be the world's finest coin photographer but you certainly have good instincts.

I'll be damned if that thing doesn't look like a proof. I can't be sure looking at the photos you have but it sure looks like a possibility. Out of the millions of coins struck, about 100 are thought to be proofs. A PR61 example sold on Heritage for $2350 less than a year ago. Do me a favor and get that coin checked out by someone reputable. If you can't find someone locally either send it in for professional grading or send it over to me for a closer look.

Outrageous score! :2 thumbs up:

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  30. stonedywankanobe

Wait till Andial hears that ol wanka may have a wide brim half dollar here! It is a fantastic looking coin in hand and imo has never been cleaned. The fields both ob and re are mirror like and the devices frosty. Ship has all lines intact on the sails and my eye just cant spot any wear anywhere. Also has a blueish hue about it.
    So it breaks down like this, my lcs guy grades stuff he sells in the shop but he has tried to feck me more than once on some ms Barber quarters and I've watched him skin folks alive many times over and don't want to give him the time of day.
    I suppose I could send it off to be pro graded but I wouldn't know where to start but may look into it.
    If your interested Saavsir I'd have no reservations about letting you have a peek at this joker. There are a only few I'd even consider letting look and you sir are a stand up fellow in my book.
    You hereby have my written permission to eye feck it if you'd like.
    Wouldn't have been so worked up about it but it stands out like a sore thumb next to any of my other Colombian halves.
    Let me know sir.

andial and savvydon like this.
  31. Fjpod

What would you buy?....Proof modern Silver dollars at $16.75 or circulated Peace dollars for $24?

32. stonedywankanobe

The Mpd's look like the deal to me. My pcs is still getting 20 mebe moar for theirs.

Average circulated Peace dollar = meh imvho.

33. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Platinum Bling

REMEMBER: Just because there is a limited supply of an item; commemorative or coin or round does NOT necessarily make DEMAND.

It takes BOTH to make a profit.

34. stonedywankanobe

That's a fact GB. Avg Morgan's are 25bucks here. Peace dollars are the same price as modern commems. All silver eagles except 87 and 96 are 24 each.

I've been getting after a few choice coins from the early yrs at a better price than I've seen online.
    Thinking the 90's coins will appreciate sometime before i die.

35. savvydon

PM sent.

36. GOLDBRIX

COR...RECT!!! When my grandfather died he left approx. 300 Morgan and Peace silver dollars he'd collected as a grocery store owner.
    My uncle, The Executor of the estate, instead of simply splitting the SDs between him and the two other siblings equally took them two the bank my grandfather had his accounts and deposited the SDs into the Savings Account One for One ( at the time SDs averaged $7.00 each). :bang head:
    I was already a Silverite but I did not hear what he had done until after the estate was settled. :bang head:

I had collected my own until that bad boating accident occurred. :blew up: cry: :don't know:

37. Joe King

Did he at least find out later what he had done? Hopefully he knows better now not to exchange $2100 for $300?

38. GOLDBRIX

He too is now in a better place. IDK if the siblings smartin' him up. I never got the chance to ask him.

39. stonedywankanobe

20161114_222646.jpg

Here's the reverse, ignore the dirty troll fingers.
    Best I could do to show the reflectivity this joker has.

andial and savvydon like this.
  40. savvydon

Still haven't seen anything to tell me conclusively that that is not a proof. Wild coin you got there.

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.