1. Macron and Le Pen in French election, main event later, Stocks go nuts to the up on the news
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold is down 15 to 1273, while Silver is down 5 to 17,80 on the news. Crude is up 44 to 5006 and the USD is down 100 to 98.88
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

Standing Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by birddog, Aug 4, 2016.

1. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Point well taken. If I'm still around in 5 years, I'll see if I made a mistake or not. It wouldn't be the first one I made. I had the opportunity to buy the 2009 UHR from the mint and didn't. Now I wish I had.

If I remember correctly, they had a purchase limit on those too. But had to remove it to move the rest. Maybe the same will happen to the quarter.

Where's that time machine parked?

2. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

The UHR is hands down the best modern gold commemorative released by the mint. Nothing else really comes close, not the reverse proof buffalo, not the first spouses, not these 1916 releases... Nothing.

If you haven't found a details-damaged example to de-slab and hold, it truly is amazing, like nothing else out there. If I could buy these for spot +100, I'd gladly get those over gold eagles and maples any day.

birddog likes this.
  3. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

I was trying to highlight the comparison between the precious metal value of the gold coins and the rarity of the silver coins.

Even if you just stay with MS 60 grade for the 1916 silver coins, the original 1916 silver standing liberty quarter has sold for around $10,000 in auctions.

4. CrimsonGuardJay

I just took a look myself, how the hell is this possible? Did they make like 12 that year or something?

5. Starter

The original mintage for the 1916 standing liberty quarter was 52,000, but only about 430 graded by NGC as MS 60 or higher.

The mercury dime is the most affordable in mint state of the 1916 coins, with prices under $50.

6. CrimsonGuardJay

Thats pretty insane right there.

I wanted a standing liberty quarter once, it was shown in an episode of mad men in a flashback sequence, that showed Don Draper in the early 1930s, a homeless man passed through and offered to do chores and farmwork in exchange for a bed and a hot meal. His stepmother stated that she understands the difficulties of being homeless and retrieved a single standing liberty quarter for him.

But then I woke up and saw the prices on those things were so far beyond anything that could be considered reasonable unless they were worn down to a guitar-pick.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  7. Starter

It is definitely a scarce coin, but I think most of the price is inflated.

My very own 1906-s gold 5-dollar coin graded MS 62 by NGC has less than 300 NGC coins graded equal or higher, but its current selling price is only in the 400s, even with its higher precious metal content.

The reality is that the standing liberty quarter is a very strong brand in coin collecting, but the liberty 5-dollar coin is just starting to get noticed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. Starter

Finally delivered the coin to the dealer today and received cash in the amount agreed upon earlier (535, or 45.05 over the cost of the coin + shipping).

I am glad that the owner kept his word regarding the price, even when knowing the coin did poorly in its 1st week and will almost certainly decrease in value during the coming weeks. Originally, he wanted an unopened package, but he said this time he would be opening it for a customer who wants the coin. When the owner went to get the cash, I asked whether I could take a picture of it, and he said sure...

std_lib_gld_qtr_small.jpg

It is truly an impressive coin, but I am now happy that the coin is out of my hands, with the cash reward now safely deposited in the bank...

9. CrimsonGuardJay

I got mine yesterday as well, but I'll be keeping it.

The way i see it, a local coin dealer might give you or I +50 for it, and maybe if I threw it on ebay right now someone would give me +100 (doubtful)...

The reality of it is, as an insurance professional, I worked for a few hours on the phone and doing data entry and I probably made close to $1,000 or more... I gotta face it, the only way I'll "make money" with buying and selling is just hoping some good run-up to $2,000 an ounce happens in the coming years. No idea.

10. Starter

I understand your point of view, especially after looking at the coin and taking a close-up picture of it...

Most of us on this forum have a background in stacking and numismatics. From a numismatics point of view, this is a great coin because it symbolizes one of the greatest icons in coin collecting by replicating the coin in gold, on the 100th anniversary of the initial coin minting. From a stacking point of view, this coin has an excessive premium of 47% over its melt value, with today's spot price. Even gold commemorative coins sold at the Mint (which I plan to buy this year) have a lower premium, at 33%.

Putting numismatics and stacking together, one also may realize that the mintage is unusually high for its premium, with the only remaining strengths being the excellent quality of the coin and the great name of the standing liberty quarter brand. If you believe in these strengths, then you are one more person to justify any upward price movement for this coin. But there are probably equally many people in the market who will provide a justification for the price to move downward.

11. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Just remember if metals run to the moon, numismatics wont mean much.

12. CrimsonGuardJay

I'd have to disagree... Numismatics often continue to maintain the price above spot... The UHR is a good example of that.

13. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I'm paraphrasing a bit as I can't remember the exact statement, but in Jordan's book, he addresses this. I believe the $ value he was talking about was in the neighborhood of $5000.

"As the price of gold increases, the premium above spot (for numi's) decreases to the point where there is no premium."

14. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Don't doubt there will be some exceptions to that. You are right. Im talking about the lower end of the spectrum

15. CrimsonGuardJay

If the price of spot explodes by $500, then I can live with that, in general.

16. Starter

If you plan to keep the coin, then I think that hoping for gold to reach 5000 dollars is your best bet for the coin's future. A spot gold price of 5000 would encourage more melting of the coin, with the possibility of turning the coin from an over-minted coin to a scarce one.

After gold crashes down from 5000, you would emerge with a better coin than you had before (that is, assuming that you had other gold coins to cash in on the spot price of 5000 instead of the gold quarter).

17. CrimsonGuardJay

Thats a good point. Personally, when it comes to actually selling, I think greshams law would apply and people would sell bars and rounds before they would sell That ultra high relief or standing liberty, mercury dime, etc.

18. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Buy all you want now...HH limits removed

birddog likes this.
  19. CrimsonGuardJay

AHAHAHAHAA, omg, what a dud.

20. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Actually you will probably have to wait until 12 noon

21. Starter

Advantage dealers.

The household limit was the only reason they needed help from individuals like us. With their ability to sell coins at a profit without paying selling fees, regular guys like us are left in the dust because we still need to overcome the steep fees in order to make a profit.

Good thing I sold my one coin already to the dealer...

22. CrimsonGuardJay

There are ways to sell without fees, but yes, it is a challenge. eBay, PayPal, etc.. Those are obviously an issue.

Truthfully, bullion coins are actually a good investment for avoiding fees: there's a company in my Oklahoma City that will wire money to you when you send them a tracked package with said inside.

23. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Ya, took the $50 bounty, fortunately. I did pick up an SP70 PCGS dime for $245 before the 8% ebay bucks expired. Hoping for a near issue price pickup for the quarter as well.

24. Starter

I can't say much about how these coins will do next year, but one thing I know is that with the household limit removed now, this coin will take sales away from other Mint products, especially gold coins.

This is good news for collectors interested in other gold coins sold by the Mint, who may want those coins to be as low in mintage as possible.

25. Starter

Latest mintage report of the Standing Liberty gold quarter...

Precious Metal Products 16XC 2016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ 85325 12/18/2016

Still not sold out, after a few months!