1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Swing the golf club like you throw a ball

Discussion in 'All Things Golf' started by BarnacleBob, Jan 31, 2016.

1. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

My first question with a new golf student is to ask if they are naturally right-handed or left-handed. If they throw a ball the direction they swing the golf club, I know I can use baseball, softball or football to teach them.

Most every person has thrown a ball at one time or another, and the direction your body moves in this throwing motion is the same direction that your body should move in a golf swing. A right-handed person throwing a ball or swinging a golf club must end the motion with the majority of their body (95 percent) of their weight on their left foot at the end of the motion.

Have you ever seen a baseball player - especially a pitcher - move backward after they throw the ball? But if you watch your friends swing a golf club, you will see them fall backward from the target or maybe even take a step backward at the end of their swing. This happens because the arms only are swinging the club, and the body is not turning, rotating, moving or whatever term you want to use. Why does this happen? Because we can swing our arms at a much faster speed (speed muscles) than we can turn our body (core strength muscles), and we try to use only our shoulder, chest and arm strength to make the club hit the ball.

Throw a golf ball with the effort it takes to throw a ball from second to first base. Hold your finish position. Place a golf club in your hands, and you will most likely be very close to the finish position you should be in when you swing a golf club.

One note: This does not work so well with soccer players, as they all learn to thrown a ball with both hands over their head!

- Randy Hernly is the PGA Professional at the Arnold Palmer Course at Stonewall Resort.

http://www.theintermountain.com/pag...golf-club-like-you-throw-a-ball.html?nav=5018

2. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

False Feel – Throwing the Clubhead at the Ball
    The nemesis of many golfers, including me, is the dreaded scooping motion. You will find many posts on this blog around this subject. Recently, I found a blog post that gives a unique insight into this motion, and I encourage all my readers to view it and reflect on the concepts presented. The blog post can be found here: Sick of Hacking.

Essentially, what is discussed in the post is the false feel of power that you get from throwing the clubhead at the ball. In other words, as the club comes down you throw your right wrist towards the ball (like you are throwing a ball) and you fling the clubhead towards the ball rather than keeping your right wrist bent (which thereby keeps your left wrist flat). All pros have their hands ahead of the ball at impact If you throw the clubhead at it you get the dreaded scoop and your left wrist breaks down.

Here is a picture from the post that illustrates the result of this throwing motion.

leftwrist_thumb.jpg

Notice the left wrist breakdown.

The post basically says that the swing thought needs to change from throwing the clubhead at the ball to rather moving your hands down toward the ball. You want the club going downward toward the ball, not heading upward. Here is how it is illustrated:

[​IMG]

So as I see this, I am thinking if my swing thought is hands downward toward the ball so that at impact my clubhead and left arm are inline, I’ll achieve proper impact. But when you throw the clubhead at the ball, just post impact the clubhead will be moving upward, and all velocity will be lost. Here is a quote directly from the post:

Q: Why is it that handicaps have constantly failed to drop despite thousands of books, magazines and videos?

A: It’s because golfers continue to bend their left wrists through impact and hit at the ball. That is ‘hacking’ the ball, and as the handicap charts tell us, it produces only hackers. Until Joe Public learns to keep his left wrist flat and swing through the ball, handicaps will stay high…We throw the club past the left arm – rather than in line with it – for a reason. For example, the club wants to go down through impact, but in a mistaken attempt to add velocity, we flatten the right wrist. This is a ‘false feel’ – it’s a forward motion, not a downward motion – and it causes the clubhead to immediately stop going down and to start coming up.

There is more to discuss, reflect on, and practice with the theory presented in this blog post. With some warmer weather we will try some of these things out and see if we can move from being a hacker to being a player. Wishing you More Pars as we move into the month of March!

Matt

http://morepars.com/false-feel-throwing-the-clubhead-at-the-ball/