1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Techie ??? Migrate to a SSD questions

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by ErrosionOfAccord, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    I am out of HHD and need to upgrade badly. My current setup is RAID with two equal partitions of 250 Gigs. The RAID is set up to make a copy of the front partition. probably not the best setup but it is what it is at this point. I want to migrate to an SSD of 1 terabyte. What software would be best for cloning the migration? Is cloning the appropriate way to do this? What SSD would be best for the migration? The later question concerns me the most because after reading some technical stuff it seems that some SSD's have fixed partitions others do not support RAID and there seem to be other inconveniences that I don't quite understand.

I used to do my own builds but it's been more than a decade since I threw a box together and much has changed since then. I'm running Winblows 7 Home Premium and want to keep it that way. It would also be nice to throw a little LINUX partition in. I've barely dipped my toes in the outlaw OS and need to start practicing with it before Win7 becomes obsolete.

I suppose I would be willing to do away with the RAID but I want to preserve everything I currently have on both of the old partitions. My hardware is/was a high end MSI laptop with 16 GB of memory. It has been the best machine I ever owned and I will buy another when this one craps out, but for now it seems to be going strong.

2. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I don't use RAID, so I can't help with that. Instead of RAID, I make frequent backup copies of my data, and monthly system backups of each computer. For system backup software, I use EaseUS or Macrium, and both work well. Migrating your system to a SSD shouldn't be a problem. The search below offers lots of guidance.

https://www.google.com.sa/search?q=...i65j69i60l2.8639j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My approach is to have only my system and programs on the SSD, with all my data on a different drive. That reduces the size of the SSD I need and makes system backups simple.

ErrosionOfAccord likes this.
  3. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Save stuff to the cloud and keep a spare WD HDD.

4. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Have never used the cloud and don't want to start. I have no faith in the cloud at all.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  5. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    When you figure it out let me know because I have three hard drives to strip out plus two CD's of a distant hard drive. I have tried using the big stick thumb drive but am a little leary because I actually forgot the pass word to one.

wish I knew what you guys were talking about but if I did my brain might fry and there is no backup for me. Oh yeah there might be one in the cloud but I'd fall out of it.

6. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've had good results with Acronis True Image software over the years. Easy backups, cloning, and restores...so I would recommend you look there.

My last SSD purchases were Samsung 840? Pro. They were highly rated and have performed without a hiccup in the past year or so. Looks like the Samsung 850 Pro comes in 1 & 2 TB sizes and has some pretty good feedback...maybe start there.

...as to RAID 1, I wouldn't do all that and would instead do regular backups(Acronis makes it painless), but if you're determined to keep the mirroring setup then the Samsungs should work just fine. At least the 840s aced RAID 0 & 1 tests when I tried them out.

gringott and ErrosionOfAccord like this.
  7. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    I picked up the Samsung 850 EVO 1T. It appears to come with migrating software! I think I will do away with the RAID. I have the adapters to plug into an internal HD and run it as an external. Still leery about the partitions on the old drive.

8. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nice choices.

Partitions shouldn't be an issue depending on software. Acronis does clone disk or clone partition as does other software I've used over the years...anyway you have two copies if you goof. Create a backup before the surgery if you're really worried.

9. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    RAID what? 0,1 maybe 5? How many disks? What exactly is the setup?

10. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I'm running them now, so far so good!

11. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    So is this 'software RAID' 1 (mirrored) across 2 partitions on one disk?

EaseUS will do a bit level copy which makes things easy. The only small thing is that you end up with two disks using the same ID and they clash. You need to fix that, in windows its easy.

NAS with hardware RAID 5 is easily achievable these days. Good redundancy and storage performance. 2c FWIW. Run the OS etc off the SSD and stick the rest on NAS with cheaper mechanical drives.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  12. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    I didn't even know we are up to RAID 5. There are two drives to the best of my knowledge. I'll be busy the next few days but will have to look at the bios. I'm nearly certain it isn't set up as a mirror. I had to send it back years ago for a HHD issue that I couldn't resolve myself. I couldn't even run LINUX from a stick at the time and could not diagnose the problem. Anyway, when it came back MSI had changed the RAID designation, to what I have forgotten.

13. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Raid 5 is good, you need min 3 discs and you can lose any one of them and recover. RAID 5 with 5 discs is nice, fast and very unlikely to have a dual failure. Never happened to me anyway!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

5 is commonly supported, gives performance bump and redundancy.

0 or striping has no redundancy, its a pure performance option.

1 or mirrored is common but offers no performance improvement.

2,3,4 and > 5 are not so common to rarely supported or used in my experience.

RAID 10 (1 + 0) gives the full performance of striping (0) with the redundancy of motoring the striped array.... but it takes too many disks IMO for home use!

Have a look at cheap DIY NAS servers, there are some good Linux based options like http://www.freenas.org

I dunno... maybe too much but it is worth a look.

14. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

RAID usually is not needed. I use a 3-tiered approach for my local machine.
    1 - My whole system (6 partitions) gets backed up to an external drive every Saturday.
    2 - My OS partition (C:) and documents partition (D:) get backed up nightly to a Samsung flash drive attached to my wi-fi router.
    3 - Any critical files and current work files are continually mirrored via Dropbox (cloud). I have never lost any work using Dropbox. I can even recover deleted files up to 30 days after deleting or changing them. Some work files are saved 50+ times and Dropbox keeps all 50+ versions available to restore.

15. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Thanks for the reminder Zed. When purchased it was a high end laptop built for gaming. When new it was set at 0 when it came back from MSI it was set at 1. I was too lazy to make the change back to 0.

Seems my best option will be to run programs from the SSD and leave one of the 250 gig drives in for data. My god these new games take a lot of room. Obviously will have to turn the RAID off as I'm not buying another SSD.

My infernal tinkering when trying to diagnose the previously mentioned HHD failure was the cause of the factory RAID change. Again, I want to give MSI kudos as this has been the best machine I've ever owned.because it has been so trouble free I forgot how to work on it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  16. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Followup;
    There was one drive set to RAID 1 with a partition. The laptop has two bays. I broke the RAID, migrated W7 to the new SSD and installed Linux on the old drive which I partitioned in half. Linux was installed via NSTF so the dual OS is compatible. Important files will be backed up to the other half of the old drive.

solarion and Goldhedge like this.