1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The coming demise of XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by TomD, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    this is linked from yahoo

Initially I'm a little surprised to hear that the XP OS represents 31% of all computers worldwide. But I can see that, after the horror of pre-XP OS, XP was a pretty decent system and I haven't seen much improvement since. Well, networking is easier.

A taste of the horrible things to come for Windows XP

Windows XP is now more than 12 years old but according to data from Net Applications, it is still used on more than 31% of desktop and laptop computers around the world. Those tens of millions of PC users could be in for a very rude awakening next year once Microsoft cuts off support for the aged operating system. Microsoft itself even warned users of the imminent tsunami of viruses and other malware that will inevitably wash over XP stragglers once it stops issuing updates and fixes for the OS. Now, a recently discovered critical zero-day flaw has been acknowledged in a Microsoft support document that could cause serious problems for XP users.
    “The vulnerability is an elevation of privilege vulnerability,” Microsoft said in a recent security advisory. “An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run arbitrary code in kernel mode. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full administrative rights.”
    Microsoft confirmed that it is working on a fix for the flaw, but let this serve as a warning — after April 8th next year, critical flaws like this one (and worse) will go unfixed, thus leaving gaping holes in Windows XP that are just begging for malware to exploit them.

TAEZZAR and phideaux like this.
  2. phideaux

phideaux Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

All 4 of my PCs run XP SP3. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. :haha:

If MicroSh*t was smart (obviously they're dumber than a doorknob), they'll continue to support it, but not for free.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  3. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I learned that Windows 7 actually performs FASTER on older PCs than XP. And it is more stable. I think this is partially due to all of the bloat XP updates have caused over the years. A fresh install of XP (no service packs) runs super fast. Go to SP3 and it slow dramatically -- it is downhill from there.

The problem I'm having is finding new high-end systems that come with Windows 7. I'm looking for a computer to run an auditorium AV system (projector DVD and powerpoint, audio recording, etc.) and Windows 8 isn't serious about work -- it is just an overgrown smart phone.

Usury likes this.
  4. phideaux

As my semi-Luddite sister puts it, her Windows 7 PC is "retarded."

(No offense intended to the Politically Correct police.)

TAEZZAR likes this.
  5. anotherdave

anotherdave Banned

I have an image of XP which runs under VirtualBox on openSUSE for those times when nothing but Micro$oft will do.

Haven't used it in months.

6. <SLV>

You have to know what you are doing. Properly cleaned and optimized it is very stable and fast.

Panda Cloud
    Advanced SystemCare Pro
    CCleaner
    SmartDefrag 2
    Soluto

7. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Maybe I'm getting too old for change.

I have 2 computers, one with each OS.
    I love XP pro,
    I do not like my Windows 7.

My 7 has too much B.S. & control over my decisions.
    Yes, it does have some better features, but not good enough to over come XP.
    IMHO

8. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

You have to remember that when XP came out .. it was as big a disaster as Vista would be. 2000 was the bedrock most companies built themselves on. It wasn't until service pack 2 that XP became respectable. Come Christmas I'll be learning Win 8 on a $200 surface rt. To be frank .. the only purpose is to learn the interface and where all the tricks are hidden. From what I've heard ... it's simply stupid to try and use Win 8 without the touch interface. In a couple of months I'll hand it off to one of the kids for school and look at what serious platforms have grown up to make it business sane. Like it or not ... if you're going to make money in the IT domain ... you're gonna have to know it.

TomD and Goldhedge like this.
  9. phideaux

It's not the stability, it's the counter-intuitive commands, the artsy fartsy fluff, the BS...

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next."

TAEZZAR likes this.
  10. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    About 2 years ago I booted up a Win98 machine with 256K ram?? Man that thing was fast!!!

I was surprised how responsive it was. As fast as today's XP with all the 'extra' coding.

I have to admit that Win7 is a better Vista.

It's as if they finally got smart and cleaned all the crud out of it.

Win7 = Mac 1984.

Of course, we could just chuck MSFT and go with one of the Linux OS's...

TAEZZAR likes this.
  11. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

Win 8 looks too grade school, besides that, a touch screen doesn't last long in my world.

XP works great on my laptop, I haven't run any updates in years, I don't use it to watch teh pronz.

I don't care what microsux does or doesn't do. I do know what I won't be doing, buying another junk OS from microsux

12. bemac

bemac Midas Member Midas Member

Depending what you mean by "high-end," you may want to check out Delloutlet.com.

13. JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Gold Member Gold Chaser

As others noted, Windows post-2000 is slow and kludgy...Win98 was lightning fast on an eighth of the resources.

I noted that eight years ago. I made the jump - to Linux.

I'm an Apple-head these days, but Linux, in some free distros, have a LOT to recommend them. Ubuntu used to be very easy to learn - and was less than a tenth of the size, and small enough the entire OS could load in RAM. Immediate response.

Due to disputes with Google, old Ubuntu distros aren't available anymore - but there are many, many others. Try them! Viruses are just about unknown; the OS is free; faster - and easier than paying for a new box.

Goldhedge likes this.
  14. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Hahahahaah, I had an 1984 Apple Macintosh.
    I bought 2 of them, 1 for the shop CNC machines & 1 for the office, that way I had a backup.

The little floppy taught us how to run the computer, so well, that it was almost a year later, we finally hit a snag. I called the people we bought them from, I think it was Gibbs & Associates in Chatsworth, Ca. Anyhow, I started to explain our dilemma & the rep. said, "that is explained in the instruction book". I said, "instruction book ??" Long story short, he wouldn't help me until I found & looked it up in the book. It was just his way of getting me to use the book. I found the book, it was still sealed in plastic !!! We solved our problem. :s1:
    I tell this story quite often to make the point of how wonderful Apple was, years ago. I have lost a lot of respect for them, due to the way they treated their devoted followers, years ago when they were switching designs rapidly, leaving people hanging. I reluctantly use Microcrap now, but will eventually revert back to Mac. Windows 8, just might be the catalyst.

Goldhedge likes this.
  15. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I'd love to jump to ubuntu, but unfortunately there are some websites that I have to access for both personal and work reasons that seem to only function with Internet Explorer. I have tried Firefox and Chrome, even with add-ons, and no luck. One of them in particular has a lot of Adobe plug-ins to make the website work and none of those functions seem to work in any other browser. And as far as I know there's not a way to run IE in a different OS, so I'll probably have to upgrade to Win 7 (I'm NOT getting Win 8). Any suggestions on cost/seller/which version of Win 7? Any suggestions on alternate ideas?

16. Goldhedge

Retired
    Apple is an innovation company.

The rest merely copy what Apple does.

One frustration with XP is photos won't open if they are 1M +

Vista does open them.

I use both and I also use Mac. Never have a problem with opening stuff with the Mac.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  17. JustPassinThru

I know nothing of Win7.

But I CAN tell you...the boot-up tool with Ubuntu, gives you a choice - you can keep Windoze on one partition and then select it at boot-up.

What you COULD do, is install a clean copy of XP in your box, side-by-side with Ubuntu or another Linux distro; and then use XP ONLY when you need XP. And NOT for anything else, that it could get infected.

The way the Ubuntu disk installs, you first have your hard-drive with Windoze installed. The Ubuntu installation tool will put in a partition and set it up for side-by-side installation.

18. SQUEXX

SQUEXX Banned

I stupidly put Windows 8 on my computer, too damn annoying. I downloaded Win 7 Ultimate from Pirate Bay and it runs great. Make sure you check for Trojans and viruses before you load it up, tho. I've heard Microsux wants to kill off W7 and just have one operating system, W8.

19. JustPassinThru

I've had both over the years. I learned computering on OS8; and then, when my iMac took the dirt nap with fifteen months' use; and with me not being able to use any file-sharing protocols (like Napster) I went Windoze.

When Windoze started growing like a cancer, with most of the crap to either keep me from modifying, keep me from copying, or else sell me something...I moved to Ubuntu. The last Windoze program I used, intentionally, was W2000.

When Ubuntu started getting too cozy with Google, and closing useful access files (like their .tmp files) and then automatically updating, rather than MAKING PATCHES AVAILABLE...that's when I figured it was time to move on.

I'm using Macs now...and they're fine for most things. But the search/Finder programs do NOT work as they should - I have to use my one last Ubuntu netbook to search for files on my four external drives. That...is NOT acceptable; and I'm trying to find a way to put Ubuntu on Boot Camp - for the search feature, if for nothing else.

20. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Win 7 is MS's best OS. It works flawlessly on my Dell Latitude with SSD and 8GB RAM.

Zed likes this.
  21. Goldhedge

Retired
    I agree!

They FINALLY got it right!

22. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Silver Member Silver Miner

Well if there's a vote, I vote the other way. I've been kicking myself ever since "upgrading" my desktop from XP to 7. I won't make the same mistake with the laptop. Gosh, just migrating from Outlook Express to the Windows Live Mail client took a week, then they improved Live Mail to make it useless, forcing another painful migration to Thunderbird, which works just fine.

23. <SLV>

Linux is great. I run a dual boot with Mint. BUT... Linux won't run "REAL" software. If you want to run Photoshop or Quickbooks (etc.), you must be on Windows/Mac OS.

gringott likes this.
  24. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I moved over to M$ at the end of the 98 era, I started with 98 on a RAID, it was very fast. However, the improvements brought in 2K kept me there for a while, until SP2 on XP. XP is ok, but I actually liked Vista after the first bugs were worked out, and ran it until the service pack known as 7 came out, then I made the move, and it wasn't a big change. I am used to 7 now, I esp. like the handling of windows, much more refined than XP. Windows 8? Running it on my HTPC and hatin' it since the start, this last "fix" didn't change much IMHO. I call 8 M$'s latest suicide attempt. The various flavors of LINUX are fine for general computing, esp the web browsing and email crowd, like others said, if you need a serious application it's easier to do it on the PC or a MAC. All the MAC OS is, is *nix with the NEXT GUI, updated... Nothing wrong with that, the GUI is what most people interact with, and NEXT was way ahead of the game, the true innovation that Jobs did or inspired.

25. Sport

Sport Gold Member Gold Chaser

Professional house husband
    My company is a MS Certified partner so I am locked into that at work. XP worked well in it's later versions (except the 64 bit version) and Win 7 was an improvement from the 64 bit side. I am currently using Windows 8.1 and I am finally getting to where I like it. There is a desktop and start menu which makes it way more usable with a mouse. The downside is getting to the applications is messy. Their biggest problem was making so many changes at once.

gringott likes this.