1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The Good News Thread:

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Scorpio, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Sometimes with all the ugly stuff around, ya need a little good news,

We all know there are good people out there, let's find some of that?

--------------------

Michigan Factory Owner Gives Out $6 Million In Thank-You Bonuses

When J.C. Huizenga sold his namesake machinery manufacturing company, he wanted to share the spoils.

The Huizenga Group chairman gave out nearly $6 million in bonuses to more than 575 workers in his two Michigan factories. It was his way of thanking the employees for helping grow the company, which now earns about $170 million in annual sales, according to CBS News.

“It is a team of people -- I’ll take people over assets all day long,” he said in a segment that aired Friday on "CBS This Morning." “It was very appropriate when we sold the company that employees should participate in the wealth we created.”

The bonuses ranged from $500 to $10,000, depending on duties and years of service. Some amounted to more than $50,000.

“The new owner was a little concerned that we didn’t make the bonuses too high because they wanted to make sure that everybody turned up for work the next day,” Huizenga joked.

The son of a garbage man, he said he doesn’t take anyone’s contributions for granted. He recommended that all bosses should share their profits with employees.

“The gratitude they showed was way beyond my expectation. It makes me feel amazingly good,” he said. “It’s great to be a giver.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...000270.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news&ir=Good News

2. Scorpio

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    REO 54 likes this.
  3. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

PAY IT FORWARD - Day Care Owner surprises Employee

https://youtu.be/_mQUTCUINAA

Published on May 23, 2014
    The video pretty much sums it up, but I wanted to do this so that maybe someone out there will be touched and also continue this chain of PAY IT FORWARD.
    My name is Alex Rios of Edinburg, Texas. I wanted to surprise my employee Veronica Solis with a car of her own. She is a cancer survivor and has inspired my life to never give up and always work hard. Earlier this week, I did call Vero because she was going into work late. She started crying (I never really get after my employees) and she said for me to look for another employee because she did not have a car and had no one to give her a ride. After hanging up with her, I felt in my heart to just go buy her a car. It is not everyday that we can do something like this for other people, but right now that I am able to, why not do it for someone that cares for you and takes good care of your business. ENJOY THE VIDEO!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Aurumag and CopperSilverGold like this.
  4. searcher

5. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    Great thread. With all the negativity we see and read, and all the idiots we have to deal with in our day-to-day lives, it's refreshing to see some good things happening. :2:

Scorpio and searcher like this.
  6. blueice

blueice Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

:Sorry: for the negativity, but the corporate haters
    are still out to lunch.

This is a very prudent management, as the loyalty and efficient of the workforce increases
    in kind.

I hope there is more to come!

7. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    GOOD NEWS! The snow has melted! The Redbuds are bustin' out and the Dogwoods are in bloom! Spring has sprung!

brosil likes this.
  8. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

More good news, that really weird rash is fading and it doesnt itch nearly as much as it used to!

9. Argentsum

Argentsum Gold Member Gold Chaser

I don't have any news but you know what they say....

nickndfl, D-FENZ and dirt to oil like this.
  10. searcher

Brio, dirt to oil and Scorpio like this.
  11. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

Po'boy, SilverBuyer and Scorpio like this.
  12. Fixture

Fixture Seeker Seeker

Yeah, I do know... no news is good news.

I was doing a little surfing. With that said, I wondered what created the expression "news".

How about this? The expression 'NEWS' spawned from the expression NORTH, EAST, WEST, SOUTH'. A newspaper could either be local... or could be a NEWSpaper.

REO 54 likes this.
  13. Scorpio

A film by Zack Conkle.
    Mr. Wright's Law of Love

No one falls asleep in Jeffrey Wright's high school physics class. Exploding pumpkins, hovercrafts and an experiment involving a bed of nails, a cinder block and a sledgehammer, are some of the crazy stunts that keep the students enthralled. But it is Mr. Wright's experiences as a father of a special needs son, and his teachings about love, family, and the meaning of life that leave the deepest impact on his students. This inspiring short video shares more.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    searcher likes this.
  14. searcher

Texas random act of kindness stuns 88 people

https://youtu.be/lTYjvOFGA1w

Published on Sep 17, 2014
    A random act of kindness at a food chain in Texas left almost 100 customers saying thank you.

Argentsum likes this.
  15. searcher

[h=1]'To the person going through our trash, please come in for a sandwich': Kind diner owner's note to homeless person sees her hailed a hero by thousands online[/h]
    • Ashley Jiron, is the owner of P.B. Jams in Warr Acres in Oklahoma
    • She noticed someone had been looking through her bins for food
    • She posted a note on her diner window inviting them in for a free meal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...iled-hero-thousands-online.html#ixzz3XHoDDFUt
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Scorpio likes this.
  16. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

Yesterday I found my Grandfather's wood plane. I thought I'd left it at the house we sold 10 years ago. Very very sofa king happy to find it :emotions16:

Scorpio likes this.
  17. searcher

Man Born Without Limbs Becomes Talented Artist

https://youtu.be/LgFx03tZB9o

Published on Apr 15, 2015
    A LIMBLESS man is close to getting the bionic arms that will enable him to hug his mum for the very first time. Talented artist Szabolcs Kollinger, from the village of Tahitotfalu near Budapest in Hungary, has the ultra-rare congenital disorder Tetra-amelia syndrome which has left him with no arms or legs. The 22-year-old was adopted by his mum Magdolna, who also has no legs and only one arm, at the age of three and can accomplish a huge range of tasks despite his physical disability, including turning out incredible artworks using his mouth to hold the paintbrush. He is now trying to raise the money to buy two bionic arms which will enable him to cuddle the mum who encouraged him to follow his dreams.
    Videographer / Director: Robert Nemeti
    Producer: Chloe Browne / Tom Midlane
    Editor: Sonia Estal

Mujahideen likes this.
  18. searcher

Best boss in America? CEO raises firm's minimum wage to $70k after reading study on happiness

Dan Price, CEO of Seattle-based payment processing company Gravity Payments, has taken a 90 per cent pay cut to give his lower-paid staff a raise

[​IMG]
    The best boss in America? Dan Price raises minimum wage at his company to $70,000 Photo: Youtube

By Josie Ensor, San Francisco

4:49AM BST 15 Apr 2015

The boss of a technology start-up in Seattle shocked his employees by announcing he was taking a massive pay cut in order to raise the salaries of the firm's lowest-paid staff.

Dan Price, founder and CEO of credit card payment processing company Gravity Payments, decided to introduce a new minimum wage of $70,000 (£47,000) while reducing his own by 90 per cent.

Mr Price, 30, told staff in a weekly meeting that he would be cutting his $1million salary to $70,000 too, as well as eating into the company’s profits to pay the extra money.

“You might be making $35,000 a year right now but everyone in here will definitely be making $70,000 a year and I'm super excited about that," said Mr Price, who started the firm from his bedroom as a teenager in 2004.

The national minimum wage in the US is around $7 an hour, which equates to $17,000 in gross annual income.

According to research, the CEOs of Standard & Poor 500 companies made 354 times the average wages of US workers in 2012.

[​IMG]
    [SUB]Gravity Payments staff celebrate the news[/SUB]

Mr Price, whose company handled $6.5billion in transactions last year, decided to raise his employees' pay after reading a study about happiness in the workplace.

The research, conducted by Nobel Prize-winning economist Angus Deaton and psychologist Daniel Kahneman, found that what they called emotional well-being rises with income, but only to a point. And that point turns out to be about $75,000 a year.

“The market rate for me as a CEO compared to a regular person is ridiculous, it’s absurd,” Mr Price said, adding that he did not think it was right that he should earn up to 100 times more than most of the rest of his staff.

"My salary wasn't $1 million because I need that much to live, but that's what it would cost to replace me as a CEO," Mr Price told ABC News. "I think CEO pay is way out of whack. It ended up impacting me, because I want the company to be sustainable even if something happens to me. Temporarily, I’m going down to the minimum until the company gets back to where it was."

"I may have to scale back a little bit, but nothing I’m not willing to do. I’m single. I just have a dog," Mr Price said.

The company, which pays an average salary of $48,000, has 120 employees - and 70 of their pay cheques will grow with this plan. Of those, 30 will double their salaries.

All 120 were stunned into silence when they were told the news, but quickly broke into applause, according to Philip Akhavan, a merchants relations worker whose $43,000 salary immediately jumped 16 per cent to $50,000.

"It took us a moment to understand what he was saying," said Mr Akhavan, who called his wife, who did not believe him.

Mr Price, who owns a three-bedroom house and drives a 12-year-old Audi, said his friends include the super-rich, who invite him on their private planes and expensive yachts.

"I have an incredibly luxurious life, for some reason, but I don’t end up paying for a lot of it," he said. "I’m a big believer in less: The more you have, sometimes the more complicated your life gets," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-to-70k-after-reading-study-on-happiness.html

Po'boy, Argentsum, Brio and 1 other person like this.
  19. Brio

People are a company's best resource. If I dine out I'll forgive high prices and mediocre food but I won't forgive poor service. If I'm waiting to buy something and the teller keeps answering the phone before processing my purchase I'll walk. Your customers ARE your business.

Canadian-guerilla and searcher like this.
  20. searcher

21. searcher

[h=1]Brave mystery man manages to save injured driver from plunging off a cliff in his truck after horror crash in Idaho[/h]
    • Crash occurred in Lewiston, Idaho, about 8am Wednesday
    • Driver Sitko, 23, crashed off the road and drove through property
    • His truck was stopped from dropping off Bryden Canyon by a fence
    • A passer-by smashed the window and dragged him to safety
    • The man fled when police and paramedics arrived
    • Sitko is recovering from minor injuries in hospital

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...f-truck-horror-crash-Idaho.html#ixzz3XTOeVpm8

22. searcher

[h=1]Incredible moment deaf baby boy Elijah is able to hear his mother's voice for the first time after being fitted with hearing aids[/h]
    • Elijah Cook was found to be profoundly death in his left ear and only able to hear 75 decibels in his shortly after his birth in January
    • The mothers and fathers of both his parents, Ahavah and Jason Cook, of Andova, Minnesota, were all deaf, so doctors decided to press ahead
    • Last month they fitted Elijah with a set of hearing aids
    • The moment he responded to his mom's voice for the first time was caught on video, with Elijah clearly responding

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-time-fitted-hearing-aids.html#ixzz3XTQR3Jqu

SilverBuyer and Mujahideen like this.
  23. Brio

Nurse Cat From Poland Looks After Other Animals At Animal Shelter

Radamenes, an angelic little black cat in Bydgoszcz, Poland, has come through hell and high water to help the animals at the veterinary center there get better. After the veterinary center brought him back from death’s door, he’s returning the favor by cuddling with, massaging and sometimes even cleaning other animals convalescing from their wounds and operations.

[​IMG]

http://www.boredpanda.com/veterinary-nurse-cat-hugs-shelter-animals-radamenes-bydgoszcz-poland/

searcher, SilverBuyer and Mujahideen like this.
  24. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    A message shared on africahunting.com by Safari Classics said:

“It is with deep sadness to announce the passing of Chifuti Safaris professional hunter Ian Gibson. Ian was tragically killed by an elephant bull earlier today while guiding an elephant hunt in Chewore North (lower Zambezi Valley).

The details are just starting to emerge as we write this. However it appears that Ian and his client had been on the tracks of an elephant bull for approximately five hours when they decided to take a break and allow the client to rest. Feeling he was quite close to the elephant, Ian and his tracker Robert continued to follow the tracks in hopes of getting a look at the ivory as the client, stayed with the game scout to rest. Robert indicated the bull was in musth. They eventually caught up to the bull, spotting him at about 50-100 meters. The bull instantly turned and began a full charge. Ian and Robert began shouting in order to stop the charge. At very close range, Ian was able to get off one shot before the bull killed him. The scene was very graphic.”

- See more at: http://africageographic.com/blog/hun....kvEHXPDz.dpuf

25. searcher

Real Heroes - People helping People

https://youtu.be/BaunEgvbR9U

Published on May 17, 2013
    I think every people should react like the people in the video. You can see that at least a few people have humanity and the courage to help people in trouble.

26. searcher

Three German students surprise a homeless guy

https://youtu.be/X0gA2mxbjSY

Published on Jul 1, 2014
    Many people are in a hurry and rush through their everyday life. In the midst of this people a homeless person, where all past run, quite normal just. Or not?

27. searcher

[h=1]Cop and case worker help homeless man living in a cardboard box find forgotten bank account - with enough social security benefits in it to get him his own HOUSE[/h]
    • John Helinski, 62, slept in a cardboard box in Tampa Bay for three years
    • He applied for homeless housing, but struggled as he had no identification
    • It had all been stolen years earlier - virtually forcing him onto the streets
    • A case worker and a cop looked into his past and uncovered his records
    • Helsinki then went into a Tampa bank and discovered a lost account
    • Enough money and social security was in there for him to buy a house

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-security-benefits-HOUSE.html#ixzz3XlHVrirx

28. Scorpio

I would consider it good news when someone of substance takes such a strong stand against war,

Po'boy and dirt to oil like this.
  29. searcher

30. searcher

[h=1]Heart-warming images of the high school student who has carried his disabled best friend to every class for THREE years…and they’re the top students of the year[/h]
    • 18-year-old Xie Xu met his 19-year-old classmate Zhang Chi at school
    • Zhang has muscular dystrophy, a condition which makes it difficult to walk
    • Xie has been carrying Zhang to and from school each day for three years
    • He helps him wash his clothes, get his meals, and get to classes
    • Both boys are the top of their class and hope to go to university

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-THREE-years-students-year.html#ixzz3YKqhFyGJ

Traderjoe likes this.
  31. searcher

[h=1]Strangers unite to save 'hopeless' dog stuck in tar pit, using grocery bags, car floor mats and their own bare hands to get him out[/h]
    • Tom George's dog Shelby got stuck by the Great Salt Lake's Spiral Jetty
    • George had no cell phone reception and had to drive an hour to the nearest town for help
    • But strangers who were planning to visit the famous earthwork sculpture instead spent over an hour to get the dog out
    • Veterinarians removed 40lbs off Shelby, who has since recovered

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eat-Salt-Lake-Spiral-Jetty.html#ixzz3YKtMhOzy

32. Brio

My neighbor's first baby this year. He has a herniated belly button (not unusual) and is duct taped together. Not even 1 day old.

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  33. searcher

34. searcher

Brio and Traderjoe like this.
  35. searcher

[h=1]Heart-warming moment fast food worker helps disabled customer to eat her meal[/h]
    • Ridge Quarles has been praised for his kind-heartedness by a man who filmed him hand-feeding a customer with physical disabilities
    • Until recently Quaries was an employee at Qdoba Mexican Grill in Kentucky and had a regular customer who used a wheelchair
    • The customer asked Quarles if he would help feed her eat her meal - and without a second thought he put on some gloves and did so
    • Quarles said he barely thought about the act. 'She needs help and if I wasn't going to do it, no one was,' he said

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...disabled-customer-eat-meal.html#ixzz3aDKh0mqS

36. argentos

argentos Former Boat Owner Gold Chaser

Retired

Nice one from the Comments Section:

searcher likes this.
  37. searcher

Two things..............

- It doesn't cost anything to be nice and to help some one less fortunate than you.

- In the military I learned that the mark of a good leader is how he / she treats those under them. The same is true in business and in life.

Treating those less fortunate than you with kindness is (in my very humble opinion) the mark of a good person. And it actually feels good to help someone.

Some how or other I have a feeling you're more than aware of this. Have a great day :beerglass:

Canadian-guerilla likes this.
  38. Scorpio

Have a daughter graduating with her Masters this afternoon.

Good college, job lined up, all that jazz

Another will be able to start her own journey

One left in college now, so that is cool.

So to me at least, that is good news :0)

39. searcher

[h=1]Touching moment five-year-old boy begged his mother to buy a homeless man dinner... and then brought the entire restaurant to tears when he said grace with him[/h]
    • Josiah Duncan saw a disheveled man outside a Waffle House in Prattville, Alabama and his mom Ava Faulk explained he was homeless
    • When 'nobody waited' on him inside Josiah asked if he needed a menu
    • Faulk said the man insisted on getting a simple cheeseburger but she told him to get anything he wanted
    • Josiah insisted on singing a blessing with the man before he began his meal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ss-man-dinner-Waffle-House.html#ixzz3aayBuQaa

40. searcher

[h=1]'He didn't ask if the Mercedes was stolen': Grateful mom's thank you to white state trooper who helped her black son with flat tire late at night[/h]
    • Dr Nada Owusu wrote that her son Joseph was coming home from school at Virginia Tech when his tire blew out
    • Virginia State Trooper Matt Okes approached him and 'got on his knees' to try and fix tire
    • When he realized it was stuck, Okes stayed with Joseph for hours until AAA and his parents arrived to help
    • Owusu's note has been shared more than 20,000 times on Facebook
    • Talk show host Montel Williams weighed in to praise Trooper Okes and thank Dr Owusu for sharing the story

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-son-flat-tire-late-night.html#ixzz3agOJ2H7m