1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Tinkerer – bathroom project

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by Bottom Feeder, Apr 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner

I didn’t want to pollute the Workin Man thread so I am going to contribute this small BR renovation I am working right now. I started this at the bequest of my dear wife who has been on my ass for the last ten or fifteen years to ‘clean up’ the bathroom. The cleanup project was a misnomer; in fact what we needed was a tear down. A little paint and elbow grease wasn’t gonna make it. The ugly started in this corner

Start Corner 92.jpg

and went all the way around.

Tub 287.jpg
    Tub Start.jpg

I decided to cover up the corner mess with Speed Tiles

Speed Tiles.jpg

Testing the tiles to see if my idea will fit in

Corner Test Tiles.jpg

I know I don’t have the same level of expertise that you fellas do but, I do like to tinker.

BF

2. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Going drinking at a friends tonight want to ask a quick question BF, is that the only bathroom in the house? If not I would do a complete gut and start fresh. I grew up doing bathrooms with my uncle he would keep all the scrap nice guy.

3. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    I suspect that is often the easier way.

TAEZZAR, mayhem and andial like this.
  4. andial

Yes Zed look how much time to do that nice cut into the corner you can see he has the skill just mebe not the right starting point. Catch you later have to go get drunk.

stonedywankanobe and Zed like this.
  5. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Well BF, I did a tear out and replace in '15... i think? anywhoo I had to because previously I had to go under the house and reconnect/lay a new stove lead and noticed a big hole under the bathtub. Then it started 'stinking' and with that big hole there I just knew some critter crawled up and died.

sure enough, knocked the window out and threw everything out even the floor joists that were rotten. One week later all done, well there is that trim that never went back up and then there is that bump where I could not make the floor match. But hey what is a quarter inch anyway?

6. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Working in bathrooms are the worst... I feel for ya BF..

stonedywankanobe, Hystckndle and Zed like this.
  7. Bottom Feeder

Nope, but it is the only shower in the house. So I'm trying to get it done this month. heh.

Its ok, smooth, I have to keep busy or I'll go nuts. I ain't used to setting on my ass all day. Lucky I'm a thin, agile, wiry old man, I can twist around to get at the wall behind the toilet - I don't have to take it out (until this winter's floor project.)

BF

stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  8. michael59

20 years logging
    dude, do it now.... don't pars it out unless you halve to o...wtf? Too....

kind of like pulling a tooth...or committing a felony....just get it done.

Question: Is pulling teeth a felony? OH yeah....depends if the Gumbyment has given you a "license" or not. dint aww-shits have the universal metal re-straction from the universal christian church? Oh I bet they did...poopie pope just never published it.

9. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hell if I know why I like that quote, but I do. Points given.

michael59 likes this.
  10. Bottom Feeder

I like it too. I'm stealin it.

BF

11. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

If done properly, all of the money invested in the new bathroom will benefit the house when it goes to sell. A complete gut as mentioned above is what is needed, not the hatchet job with a nod to afro-engineering that is being done.

12. michael59

20 years logging
    come on nickfendell. the point is to convey convenience now, not later. later is after he is dead...now who would wait for that?

Look I am not flaming you at all, I am just saying that you have to fix the shitter unless you like getting bit on your critter.

Case in point: I used the backhoe to clean out the stalls.... and, and now my liquid shit is just bubbling out of the ground like the clampets crude. F me running as I have to wait for it to quit raining and dry up so I can fix this shit.

bubble, bubble not ur trouble...

Yeah I'm thinking "Who knew," but I do so know now.

13. nickndfl

All I am saying is do it right, don't rig it.

TAEZZAR, mayhem and michael59 like this.
  14. michael59

20 years logging
    yep, can not mess around with the shitter because it can be a mean critter.

years ago i gots a notice of running my sewage on the ground. I was incised just totally pissed the f off because I had and have done no such thing, But I did do it for the property owner AT HIS PLACE.
    And,now because....what ever...I am waiting for it to dry up so I can sink a new drain field.......yep, swimming in shit I am. flippen back hoes.....

Edit: I think I will get REO54 to head out of the east coast to approve of this debauchery... loard knows I will sink the drain lines towards the center of the earth.

15. Bottom Feeder

michael, yer makin me seasick. I gotta crawl around on the floor there to mask & clean. gimme a break

BF

michael59 likes this.
  16. nickndfl

Be sure not to dig any new drainfields near the well.

michael59 likes this.
  17. Bottom Feeder

Pulled out the medicine cabinet first. Notice how professionally the builders whacked out the cabinet opening with what looks like a shingle hatchet or something.

Start -mirror.jpg

I found a builder’s screw up right off. Hum, maybe this is really the way you’re supposed to install bathroom cabinets - with a vent.

Cut Pipe 1.jpg
    Cut Pipe 2.jpg

Pulled off the old lite fixture above the cabinet. Let the lites and guts hang down into the cabinet hole, I’ll just paint around them. Started the wall prep in this corner. Needed to strip down the corner for the speed tiles, sand it off smooth, wash it down good with TSP and stripped out some caulking. Man, talk about dust and shit.

Wall Prep 2.jpg

The cabinet went into the shop where I disassembled it, stripped off the shitty varnish they had on it. Removed the door frame and all the hardware to replace it. When I pulled the mirror from the door frame it broke – it was glued to the backing board which was brad stapled to the frame. Oh well, more expense. I routed a roman ogee on the outside edge of the door frame to correct some nicks. Then I gave it all four coats of polyurethane floor varathane.

I'm dead

BF

TAEZZAR, Hystckndle, gringott and 2 others like this.
  18. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    ^^^^^^^^^

WTF are those two pipes?

I hope they are not to the stack vent that the morons cut.

On the other hand, both my bathrooms have the over the sink cabinets surfaced mounted due to pipes behind the drywall. Perhaps I should have just cut them to insert the cabinets?

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  19. andial

Feedermeister? look up in that medicine cabinet cut out and see if a vent pipe is continuing on up . If no upper pipe then the vent is centered over the toilet reconnect the verticle to the horizontal that is going to the vent pipe over the toilet or get a pro vent that lets you vent inside if code allows.

20. Bottom Feeder

Yep, vent pipe alright. And its active too, I can hear the water run in it.

BF

21. Bottom Feeder

I'd have to pull off the drywall to fix it - I ain't goin there. It's been that way since 1985 (house built) and 'if it works don't screw with it' has always been my philosophy.
    It goes down to the sink, over (or used to) to connect to toilet 1 & 2 then up.

BF

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    andial likes this.
  22. andial

IMG_0519.JPG Understood BF if you want you can vent inside the vanity and cap the vent in the wall or leave it as is.

23. Bottom Feeder

Well, sir dial, there is not room for cap or check valve - the cabinet is going to be re-installed and they (whoever) cut the pipes at the same level they cut the drywall. I cannot reach in there and cut the pipes any further to fit the new pieces w/o messin up the drywall. I could do the check valve under the sink like your photo - but to what reward? I would like to do it right but, again, we're talking about tear down again and I ain't up for it.

Gotta go eat b-fast and get to today's tinkerin.

BF

stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  24. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Being a plumber, and if it were mine, I would open the wall and drill the stud and reconnect them using a couple of 90s and a coupling to accommodate the recess for the medicine cabinet. It may be easier to reconnect them as they were and just hang a mirror and forget the recessed cabinet.

An automatic 'cheater' vent should work ok for you but codes seldom or never permit them. It is best if you can install them above the flood rim of your lavatory because if your drain plugs up they can leak drain water. But whatever you do, don't ask your inspector if they are acceptable. No need drawing attention to your project.

If you decide to go with the auto vent, definitely cap the horizontal section because it is likely tied to another vent open to the sewer and sewer gas- and moisture. It looks like it has been leaking anyway. Could be sewer condensation or rainwater leaking from the roof vent termination. If you have been noticing a foul odor, those open pipes would be a likely suspect. If you are on a private sewer or septic system I would be surprised if there is no smell.

You opened the can. Worms everywhere...

25. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

To cut the pipes beyond the drywall, get yourself a cheap string/cable saw or a more expensive internal pipe cutter. String saws are a bitch to use in your enclosed space but you've got to do something with the open pipes. You can find a string saw in a well stocked plumbing supply house or even an outdoors REI type store. Backpackers and campers use them to cut wood.

Big worms...

michael59, mayhem and gringott like this.
  26. Someone_else

An oscillating tool is good for cutting plastic pipe in awkward places.

27. Bottom Feeder

This morning I start to work and see this fine mess where I left it yesterday afternoon. And I’m one of those guys; “Safety, it’s not just a football term” - PITA type.

What Wrong.jpg

Over at the tub I installed a porcelain soap holder (old, from a salvage job) and a grab bar for the shower. I pulled up all the old silicone and calking shit that the builders jammed in there where the tub meets the tile and replaced it with new silicon. When I removed the old soap dish the ragged hole it left (no photo of this beauty, I was too pissed to stop for one) was not only ugly but too tall for the new dish. Off to the salvage shop for a few matching tiles. That took a big chunk outta my day. Cut and set tiles, installed the soap dish. Installed the grab bar on the 24 inch spaced studs.

Grab Bar 44.jpg

I appreciate your advice, D-FENZ, but that vent pipe is now on the back burner. Wife will bring home a rubber stopper for the right going pipe and I’ll cork it off. The medicine cabinet is easily removable so I can get to that later after I have cogitated over all possible solutions – I have time. heh

BF

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Hystckndle, andial and TAEZZAR like this.
  28. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    I sure hope that grab bad is anchored to studs or backing board nailed to studs. Otherwise if you need it it will just pull right off.

Don't understand why people don't do stuff right from the beginning. It actually saves time and money, and it is done properly. What is the cost of a sheet of drywall, $20? Should have ripped it all down and started fresh. Bathrooms are mold breeders, even if you don't see it(some mold is not visible to the eye).

That med cabinet looks like a add on done later in that bath's life. Hell, just cut the pipe to fit it in, crazy.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the sentence where you said you hit studs with the grab bar. Apology.

29. Bottom Feeder

If I had been reconstructing the b-room I would have used Hardie Board in the shower area. But that's just me - I tend to over engineer things.

BF

andial likes this.
  30. andial

Let me be the first to apologize for being a nagging wife looking over your back BF.

31. Bottom Feeder

No, no, sir dial, if I was worried about nigglers I wouldn't be posting my little tinkering project. All comments welcome.

I'm getting a slow start today.

BF

32. mayhem

Retired
    I guilty also.....

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  33. mayhem

Retired
    The only draw back to Hardie is it't only 5/16 thick. When I did mine 15 yrs.ago I used Durarock (cement board) in the shower, and that new mold proof drywall everywhere else.

Goldhedge likes this.
  34. Bottom Feeder

mayhem, andial and you guys that know what you're doin, there's no need to say anything about kibitzing. I've been a troubleshooter and repair guy my whole career which has been in electrical, electronics and IT and got used to people looking over my shoulder, commenting on my progress, making asinine suggestions, asking me "wuffor you do dat" and other bullshit comments. A long time ago I figured out to go with the flow and deal with each and every type as they required. Water on a duck's back was the best solution. And I always listen - you never know where your next big break is coming from. The worst thing was always the boss. Coming up from behind to comment and watch you work. The best solution for that; stop working and get into a deep discussion of troubleshooting process with him. heh. I loves you guys.

Ok, that being said on to today's tinkerin.

Pulled off the towel racks and found the last guy that painted didn’t bother taking them down before he painted, he just painted ‘em right to the wall.

Towel Rack.jpg

Washed all the walls down with a TSP wash to remove dirt and grease. Started taping and covering things up for painting

Taping 1.jpg Taping 5.jpg Taping Toilet.jpg

Prep for painting always takes me longer than the painting job itself

Didn't get a lot done today cause I was too busy playin on the I-net. We're ready to paint tomorrow. Not concerned about the floor - it's going out.

BF

Hystckndle, andial and mayhem like this.
  35. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    tub looks pretty good from where you started....not sure where you ended up on the vent pipe but that needs fixing ....if it were me i would just cut out a little more sheet rock to the stud and rework it even if i had to do some jerry rigging.....

keep in mind the gasses were probably venting accross the gap...so anything you do other than fix it is probably going to come back and bite you in the butt

think outside the box even hose clamping on some sanitary hose or something would make it work....(yeah i konw...but anything beats doing nothing)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  36. mayhem

Retired
    Your are a good sport BF, :beer: and I for one appreciate it. I'm an old man, and took a lot of s#hit from my betters for years, so I go with the flow.

I still would have taken down that sheetrock where the med cab was and fixed that vent properly, then put up a new piece and finished it smooth. Might have even removed the cabinet and counter top just to make sure everything was cool behind it. Nothing worse than getting done, and a old piece of something breaks and makes a mess of all the work ya done. It sure would be a waste, if in a few years time you need to dig in there again.

Old saying daddy tough me, 'Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over'. That applies to whatever ya do. I've seen multi-million dollar homes that were built no better than a double wide once ya got past the lipstick. :D

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  37. Bottom Feeder

An old curse phrase from my tinkerin time; Aint nothin square

BF

38. Bottom Feeder

Thanks, tazz for the complement. does an old man's heart good. As far as the gas goes I think I can produce a more foul gas than would ever come from that sink vent. And you're right about being nipped in the butt, ya think ya fixed the problem but... BTDT.
    Yeah, thinking outside there had already brought me to that idea - a flexhose and clamps. But, again I got to cogitate on all the possible solutions.

The sewer sides plugged off for now, it's no biggie, the sink side will be simple. In due time.

BF

Hystckndle and ttazzman like this.
  39. Someone_else

Carpet in a bathroom?! I have seen that before. I hate that. It's worse than carpet in the kitchen. Yuck.

40. Bottom Feeder

Yer funny! Put yer bifocals on there dude. thats lenolieum or however the feck its spelled. :p

BF

Hystckndle and gringott like this.