1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The Homebuilt Pneumatic Weapon System

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by minimus, Jan 25, 2013.

1. minimus

minimus Banned

No ammo shortage for the DIY pneumatic gun builder. These home made air weapons range from basement target toys to ultra high pressure killers. I'll post pictures of mine tomorrow night after I finish some design tweaking. So far the power is impressive, my ammo is 3 inch decking nails. At 20 yards (and 100 psi) my little air gun blast the nails thru the side of a steel burn barrel, at 30 yards it lodges the nails to a white oak and I need a claw hammer to retrieve them, most the nails are bent from the impact. Quite deadly.

I have several other test to do, including using it to shoot steel bearings, field arrows, crossbow bolts and fishing arrows.

air-gun1.jpg

bb-assembled.jpg

2h34dvl.jpg

AFullBore-PCP-AirRifle-side.jpg

Ishkabibble, <SLV>, Ragnarok and 2 others like this.
  2. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Those are pretty bad azz looking! Looking forward to more pics.

3. PEIpotato

PEIpotato New Member

If you can, you should take video and post it here. I would love to see what these can do!

4. minimus

minimus Banned

This might give you an idea of the design principals involved and its power.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Ragnarok, searcher and PEIpotato like this.
  5. Eat Beef

Eat Beef Gold Member Gold Chaser

So, it's a single shot that might generate the muzzle energy of a 22 short?

6. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

Great. Now I won't be able to put in a sprinkler system, fix my house plumbing, or buy an air nailer to fix my roof without a permit and background check. :bear_angry:

Seriously though, pneumatic weapons might be the last resort. I have a home-built PVC pneumatic potato gun that can fire a 2 ounce spud chunk at about 350fps at +-100psi, problem is there's no fast reloading. The piston-style design really works great for the larger calibers. Smaller calibers need much higher pressures to impart the desired higher speed/kinetic energy to the projectile.

Check out some of these (larger) designs: http://www.spudtech.com/products.asp especially the (propane/O2 powered) "SP9004" at http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=51 and the "Rapid Fire Carnival Cannon" at http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=51

Of course, if high powered pneumatics (of any caliber) become commonplace they might also become candidates for regulation/outlawing.

R.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    oldgaranddad likes this.
  7. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

NY just called. Andrew Cuomo just had plumbing pipe over 7 inches banned (10 inches is OK for now but you can only fill 7 inches).

8. minimus

minimus Banned

Its a single shot with the muzzle energy of 40 to 300 ft lbs pending pressure and projectile. This is not a self defense weapon, its a small game getter and maybe a good pneumatic fishing arrow spear gun. It has real good prospects as a gigging gun.

Mine is relatively quiet compared to the QEV guns because my lightweight nailer uses a butterfly valve instead of a QEV diaphram or piston.

I'm using an aluminum fuel bottle as pressure canister with a full port ball valve as safety and the butterfly valve as trigger.

1/2 inch pipe bore (50 cal) the PVC barrel is super lightweight but the long copper barrel is more accurate, the Red Dot helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    Ragnarok likes this.
  9. minimus

minimus Banned

This kid with a soda bottle gun shoots a field point arrow, imagine what a broad head hunting arrow would do ....

10. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The concept has been around for a while:

Ragnarok and minimus like this.
  11. minimus

minimus Banned

Pre Charged Pneumatic Rifle - Autoloader and the Benjamin single shot.

semiautoairrifle9.jpg

Attached Files:

12. TnAndy

TnAndy retired guy Platinum Bling

Comes stock with a 250rd mag.

[​IMG]

Strawboss likes this.
  13. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Ammo is cheap as heck too. Ring shanks ain't no hollow piercing'round but they'd be heII to have to pull out! :bear_laugh:

14. minimus

minimus Banned

Careful with shot placement, I've already got one of these guys pinned 20 foot up a white oak.

Best to take a side shot or you'll be getting out the extension ladder to retrieve your game.

SANY7406.JPG

15. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Rhodium Imam Gold Chaser

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn!
    As a portable weapon, it has some good applications, but I think it could be the basis for a very deadly fixed-point defense.

Picture such a device hooked up to a high-pressure tank where the air is constantly replaced by a compressor-powered generator. It could fire anything from a steel ball bearing or a lead Minie ball to special sabot rounds. It could even be aimed remotely. Since the shots are powered externally (not like a modern cartridge), there will be some tradeoffs between muzzle velocity, bullet weight, and rate of fire, but given enough tank capacity an opening salvo could have catastrophic results for whatever is downrange.