1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The Leaning Tower of San Francisco

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Bottom Feeder, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

58 stories - 645 feet
    opened in 2009
    sunk 17 inches
    tilted 14 inches to the NW

The Millennium Tower. Fifty-eight stories of opulence, it opened in 2009 to great acclaim, then the tallest residential building west of the Mississippi. Though priced in the millions, the inventory of posh apartments moved quickly. Yet for all its curb appeal, the building has, quite literally, one fundamental problem: it's sinking into mud and tilting toward its neighbors.

Eight years ago, Jerry and Pat Dodson paid $2.1 million dollars for a two-bedroom and planned to live out their retirement enjoying the sweeping view from the 42nd floor. One feature the Dodson's hadn't counted on is the dozens of stress gauges dot the walls of the Millennium Tower's basement. They measure, in millimeters, the slow growth of cracks along the columns that rise up from the building's foundation. These cracks are one of the only visual clues that there's anything profoundly wrong here.

Cracks.jpg

Engineers have tracked sinking here since the day the foundation was poured in 2006. Nothing unusual about that. Here's what is unusual: their data shows the Millennium Tower sinking -- 17 inches so far -- and tilting 14 inches to the northwest.

What lies beneath the surface at 301 Mission Street is critical to the story. It fell to Millennium's geotechnical engineers to analyze the ground below and design an appropriate foundation. They went with a foundation driven 80 feet deep into a layer of dense sand. And the city approved the plan. But what is under the ground here at the surface is rubble from the 1906 earthquake, brick and sand and debris.You have to go 200 feet below the Millennium Tower, through layers of history in the ground -- below landfill from the time of the gold rush, sand, mud and clay -- to reach solid rock or bedrock. The fact that the tower's foundation isn't anchored in bedrock -- well, that's a problem. For a big, heavy building, those foundations have to go deeper. For a building like this, they have to go to bedrock. Otherwise, the structure will sink into less sturdy layers of sand and mud. And because it doesn't sink or settle uniformly, you get tilting.

Bedrock. There may be no avoiding it. The parties are in mediation debating just how to drill down to bedrock under an existing skyscraper with a thousand people living upstairs. And then, there's the indelicate question: who pays for all this?

CBSnews

What's the deal with California? Do all the engineers that can't find work anywhere else gravitate there? Must be the same bunch that built the USA's largest earthen dam; the Oroville Dam . Or is just an indication of the engineers we're turning out now days?

Buncha dimwhits
    BF

2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    I hope it collapses! This is what you get when you think you're better than everyone else and ignore the rest of the country! No one outside of California cares (we....don't....care!!!) one bit if the whole state simply broke off and slipped beneath the Pacific.

mtnman likes this.
  3. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Greed. Blame it on the developers not the engineers. I am an engineer, and I can assure you that often I am completely ignored. Engineers always want to design in a safety factor to guarantee adequate performance. Business cases and pressure from the sales group and product management drive back that safety factor. Anything they can do to lower cost and maximize profit margin.

gnome, madhu, Mujahideen and 7 others like this.
  4. FunnyMoney

FunnyMoney Silver Member Silver Miner

In this particular case, that is exactly what happened. At some point, the building will need to be taken apart, piece by piece as controlled demolition has been ruled out due to a number of reasons. Of course, the taxpayer will need to pay for the removal as the culprits have long since filed bankruptcy.

Our "7-time bankruptcy" POTUS would probably approve though.

The Federal Reserve building is very close to there , unfortunately it's not leaning that way.

gnome and edsl48 like this.
  5. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Gotta find a way to stick it to Trump! I see nothing has changed since I put you on ignore

trumpTARDdisorder.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gringott, Alton and mayhem like this.
  6. FunnyMoney

Put me back on ignore then. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I was expecting something more from you. I'm already outside the country. How about this: "if the gov't tramples your GOD given rights, it's your obligation to change it"

7. Bottom Feeder

im doin my little bit

Buck likes this.
  8. mayhem

mayhem 497th Recon Tech Silver Miner Site Supporter

Same story with the twin towers in NYC. The owners were told that they needed to remove all the asbestos that was sprayed on the floor beams, and replace all the fasteners holding the aluminum panels to the steel frame on the exterior. They applied for a permit to demo the buildings and were refused, twice. That's when Silverstien bought the buildings for cheap and made them targets for a FF.

So maybe they will fly a couple of planes into this building and call it a attack by North Korea or better yet the Russians.

PS: There was no reason to make the snarky comment about President Trump into this discussion.
    He who is without sin cast the first stone. eh?

gringott, newmisty, Goldhedge and 5 others like this.
  9. FunnyMoney

I liked your comment. You are correct.

About Trump, I don't actually believe declaring bankruptcy is a sin so I don't think I was casting the first stone there. Bankruptcy is the law of the land and Trump has said many times that he simply took advantage of the system as designed.

He didn't design the fake money, dishonest and unfair monetary and financial systems and just because the system is set up so the super rich can do these things, many more times and to more benefit than the average person isn't his fault, or at least wasn't his fault.

But now that he's POTUS, I would have hoped he would seek to level the playing field for the average person compared to the super rich. Is that too much to ask of our POTUS? Answer: For many members here, it seems so.

10. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nothing to do with the topic here. I really have to say.....

[​IMG]

This image just never gets old.

11. Bobthetomato

Bobthetomato New Member Seeker

California is one of the few states you can't transfer your PE to due to the earthquake requirements in construction. Odds are someone signed off on it who didn't care. The disturbing thing is that someone in the government gave the okay. They should both be stripped of their PEs and fired retroactively.

gringott, gnome, newmisty and 5 others like this.
  12. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Someone there has got to be thinking... how can we make the taxpayers pay to fix it?

gringott and mayhem like this.
  13. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Do the design engineers get partial credit?

14. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Just fly a plane into it. (Hey it has worked before,) and then when it falls the Seattle Space Needle will just crumble also.

stoli, the_shootist and Mujahideen like this.
  15. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Yep, should collapse right into its own footprint! We've been well versed on those dynamics!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  16. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Here's your answer.
    The whole point of getting permits and submitting plans is (presumably) to make sure that everything is done correctly. If the plans were submitted and approved, what exactly is the City checking for in such a process?

Alton likes this.
  17. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    The city is only interested in assuring the checks from all the fees they receive all clear.

It's OK though, the people out there deserve what they get because they keep electing these people to screw them dry day after day. I laugh at their pain and suffering and enjoy reading about their misfortunes. Karma is a bitch!

Alton likes this.
  18. michael59

20 years logging
    She sells
    Sea Shells
    on the
    Sea Shore

My rendition:

They build
    Tall things
    over there
    On the Fill

Crap, total bust....was better in my head till it hit paper, err sudo paper.

TAEZZAR, Bottom Feeder and gnome like this.
  19. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    You're on a roll tonight Mikey! :2 thumbs up:

20. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

fell.jpg
    I blame the engineers - and they are the liable party. When you put your PE stamp on the plans, you are taking legal liability.

Sand? Really, for a 645' 54 story building? It doesn't take an engineer to know that is plain dumb.

Did they use Chinese engineers?

gringott, Cigarlover, Alton and 2 others like this.
  21. michael59

20 years logging
    IDK what ya all think of me but this 'Cascadia subduction Fault' is about ready to go, in fact I think it is over due by geological sense. When it goes then the Baja will disengage from Mexico and move north becoming a Channel Island and Frisco which already has...5 different substrata land aggregates is going to shake. And, we all know what happens when the used-2-B Barbary Coast gets shaken up? Oh yeah, totally; It turns into the spouting fountains of rainbows and BURNS up...yep happens ever time.

gringott, Alton and gnome like this.
  22. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    From your keyboard to God's ears!

Alton and michael59 like this.
  23. michael59

20 years logging
    I am about to tire off for the night only because I just can't seem to re-tire but here is a totally of the f'n rails thing-bob.....that well Ya just gota see to understand.

Link:

SongSungAU and Buck like this.
  24. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Bring it on motherfuckers, bring it on!

michael59 and Buck like this.
  25. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    its not the cities job to do designs....only to confirm the designs were done by a correctly certified professional and in accordance to current building code...

and the op article ...rarely do building foundation structures go to bed rock...many parts of the world that would be impractical.....in the case of the article would be my assumption that the foundation structures were certainly inadequately designed for the soils and are failing unsymmetrically but may have been up to code and current knowledge at the time as earthquake designs are a ever developing/evolving process

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    D-FENZ and Scorpio like this.
  26. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

MMKay..?

MmmKay.

27. Buck

Buck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Know what they used to do to a home builder, in the olden days, when a house he and his crew built, failed?

They were killed

Know what happened to a horse thief, in the not so olden days?

They were killed

Know what happens to a politician, today, when they fuck things up so badly that more than double the original cost has to be spent to secure the new build? or when people die due to their negligence?

They're given awards, promotions and retirement packages that we the taxpayer get to pay for

Happy Happy
    Joy Joy

gringott likes this.
  28. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Build-a Burger
    I too was going to mention the Chinese Ghost City Engineers who build towering apartment buildings that get quickly abandoned when they start cracking apart as it's sinking.

29. FunnyMoney

mayhem, you had to give them the idea?

We better start paying closer attention to this building. If some slime ball traitor like Silverstien buys it or takes control of it, we'll want to check on the put-call ratios for airline stocks. Who was it that said, "never let a good crisis go to waste?"

Maybe this is how they'll get all those PC, liberal yuppies to finally endorse the war on terror.

All the major banks have big buildings right around the corner from there, I wonder if any of them are storing gold?

stoli likes this.
  30. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

What the heck? How do you go about pulling Trump into this conversation?
    Is this GIM's version on MSNBC?

31. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I know, it gets old for me too!! We have a few Russian bots and Shareblue employees who like to complain about Trump at every opportunity. They spread over the internet like cancer. Just call them out and they slither back into hiding for a bit.

gringott likes this.
  32. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    "our POTUS" You said you didn't live in the US. Not your President.

gringott likes this.
  33. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    If you are completely ignored do you still sign off on the plans and OK them?

gringott likes this.
  34. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I'm sure it is different in my setting (mechanical engineer). I don't have the privilege of final approval.

35. FunnyMoney

I travel a lot. America is my land and the land of my fathers. If the gov't tramples on your God given rights, it's your duty and obligation to change that gov't.

There's been only one politician in DC who has done what he said he would do. In the last 30 years we have had traitors in DC, with only one exception.

The last leader of the free world said the troops would "come home on day one" and the current leader of the free world claimed he would "make America great again." 8 years later (beyond day 1) the troops were still in harm's way and continue to be there today, one year later after Trump's message America is in worse shape. These politicians can talk the talk but they can't walk the walk. RP, during his LONG career as a politician continuously tried to move the nation toward his agenda but the other 435 politicians and each new POTUS stopped him.

36. michael59

20 years logging
    And Nixon said he would end the Vietnam conflict but he only started the process to end it but it still ended.

So you would throw out a Man who took one million from his dad, went bankrupt a few times, had some collage where the stupid people who could not get into real estate sued him, you would take that man who is making this nation get going and trash him because?

What did all the other poop stains do that benefited this country? List me something they did that put money in your pocket that did not come out of someone else's pocket.

If you want to talk stock market we can because it in itself is going to pop and that is what the last few days have showed.

Me? I just want the man to do his job and I am sure he can even if he has to fight the pariah off as it only makes him look stronger. Which in turns makes the nation look stronger.

I would have liked the little guy from Texas to have been elected as we have needed this since the early '90s, but no we have to wait 24 years. Do I give the Trump a signed blank check? No but he is who he is and he has been around and worked with all these newYonkers who are democrats, hell he even know's where the Nancy is getting her strange stuff from and in which drawer she hides it.

Just think of it 24 years of duds and yes I am throwing the Reagun under the short bus because we have always needed a business man running this country and this is what the democrats truly abhor; they doo not want an Administrator that can run the country because then it is very apparent that neither the republicans or the democrats were doing it right. This is why the bureaucrats have doggedly attacked the Trump.

stoli and TAEZZAR like this.
  37. FunnyMoney

Young Americans in uniform are put into harms way, to kill people who are not a threat to us and to protect dictators in far away places. We have killed many people around the world since the war on terror started and we have borrowed over 10 trillion dollars to spend doing it. Millions of people have suffered and died due to the American MIC, "war for profit" agenda. Trump wants more of the same, he doesn't even say he wants to end them. He wants more war on drugs and more real war for profit.

38. Bottom Feeder

Wasn't Herbert Hoover the last businessman we elected for POTUS?

BF

gringott and michael59 like this.
  39. michael59

20 years logging
    That's what they say but he turn a profit like the Trump. All I guess what I am really getting at is in order for the Trump to have accomplish what he did prior to being elected is he has to know who he was dealing with and not work at their whims.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  40. michael59

20 years logging
    TAEZZAR likes this.