1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The New Gasoline Cans

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Gomez, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Gomez

Gomez Banned

Has anyone been able to modify the spout on this kind of god damn gasoline can? I tried busting the half- assed mechanism out of the spout, but found out that the spout is two parts. I'm gonna gorilla glue the pieces together.

images.jpg

I'm getting god damn tired of government regulations.

Usury, artfarm, brosil and 1 other person like this.
  2. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

My gas cans are pretty old so I didn't really understand what you were actually talking about. Looked around on youtube and found out. Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

How to Fix a New Gas Can

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    psychonaut, RichG, latemetal and 11 others like this.
  3. WhyKnow

WhyKnow Thnk Tank Gold Chaser

I've used the brass valve stems with tapered threads, but they leak a little. I will try the rubber pull-through tubeless style. All my cans are old but "self-venting."

Also, there are vented, square cans made that the motocross riders use. They have a high-flow spout and durable, but some of the hoses won't fit in a car's tank and they might need a smaller fitting, so not the easy cure I thought. Also the lid might need a filter wrench to get really tight if your hands are weak or cold. Anyway I have a few of those. They are labeled not for fuel transportation, blah blah.

These look like a small hose and different brand than mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LC-FUEL-JUG...NSPARENT-/161151442460?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

The down side I see to the tall square ones, is they are harder to strap down with ratchets because the only handle is offset on the side.

4. Gomez

Gomez Banned

Thanks for posting the video searcher. The can I have is different than the can in the video. You get the idea about how retarded gas cans have become. I have two metal aviation cans my father gave me many years ago. The cans are probably 60 years old and still going strong.

I think I'm going to throw the can out and look for used metal cans in garage sales.

Damn government.

blueice, gringott and searcher like this.
  5. searcher

Here's another vid. If you're going to look around for older used gas cans don't forget the 'free offer ads' on Craigslist.

Published on Dec 17, 2012
    For more information please watch:

http://myworld.ebay.com/elisgeneralst...
    ***UPDATE*** PLEASE READ THIS***
    Thank you for your post very well done and informative. For anyone who buys from my ebay store or emails me at elisgeneralstore@Gmail.com to buy directly, I will throw in free VENTS with their purchase just mention the YouTube video and you will get a free sample pack. Thanks from
    elisgeneralstore
    Eli Canganelli

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    glockngold and Gomez like this.
  6. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

I've had the pleasure of trying to use a few of these new and improved gas cans during hurricane sandy. What a joke. It Is almost impossible to get gas out of the can. You are guaranteed to spill more than you would with older cans. You might as well throw the spout away and pour it free hand.

earplugs and brosil like this.
  7. Saguaro Kid

Saguaro Kid Seeker Seeker

Retired
    I drilled a hole in mine and pulled in a rubber valve cord (like WhyKnow mentioned) for a tire in my cans with a piece of wire. Took the air valve out and just screw on/off the cap. Made my life much nicer.

8. Gomez

Gomez Banned

I purchased the gas can during sandy as well. I spilled gasoline all over the place. We had a power outage this past winter. I got so damned mad at this can.

9. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

It's not the can's fault. It's the fault of our Most Benevolent Government for requiring makers to idiot-proof/child-proof/use-proof their products. I just pitched a fairly new Scepter gas can yesterday. Less than a year of use on it (I used it only a few times), and one of the dinky assed springs making the nozzle "safe" came loose. F'it....into the trash it goes.

I've got this one coming from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W72GBC

It comes well recommended by a friend.

Of course, even more highly recommended are the gas cans I knew & loved for years. Pop open the vent cap, stick the nozzle into your car's (or mower's) fuel tank opening, and POUR. No need to turn a special flimsy locking collar, no need to push the lip of the nozzle against the fuel tank opening.

Caveman simple - as it should be.

Varmint Hunter, searcher and Gomez like this.
  10. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Obviously the various lawyers and other leaches have some work to do to insure the "safety" of everyone.

http://www.ibtimes.com/blitz-usa-shuts-down-lawsuit-abuse-hammers-hometown-734478

They will not stop until there is no way you can get a drop of fuel out of them.

searcher likes this.
  11. Gomez

Gomez Banned

12. Prairie Ogre

Prairie Ogre Seeker

farmer
    I bought some funnels. I remove the spout and dump in thru the funnel.

13. Armed.peasant

Armed.peasant Seeker Seeker

Tax Payer.
    blueice and latemetal like this.
  14. Garyw

Garyw The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure Silver Miner

tired and retired
    In 2013 I purchased a new Smokercraft 18' boat with an inboard 12 gallon tank. The dealer put 3 gallons in it to check the engine out before selling it. I pulled it home and on the way I stopped to fill it up. I could not get it to take any gas, it just kicked the nozzle off and made a mess of the boat. I called the dealer and he called the manufacturer. The manufacturer called me and explained it was designed not to emit fumes to the air and if you add gas less than full the first time it will not take any more and if I brought it 40 miles to the factory they would drain the tank and refill it to the top then it should work for me. We did that and it is better but you still have to take it real slow. I found out all the new gas cans were being made the same way and because I keep my boat in a slip I did not want to get gas in the river when I added from a can so I read about it on the internet and found out that the manufacturer had to quit selling his old inventory. I quickly searched for an old 5 gallon can and purchased two of them online that were new old stock. They are yellow for diesel but they work great. There may still be a few floating around from dealers. Good Luck.

southfork and WhyKnow like this.
  15. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

blueice likes this.
  16. Gomez

Gomez Banned

Armed.peasant likes this.
  17. Gomez

Gomez Banned

18. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

Here's an update on this most-est highest quality gas can.......it still SUCKS! (surprising, I know).

See:

http://www.amazon.com/Scepter-07378...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Out of 71 customer reviews, 64 were GARBAGE (1 star).

A honorable/reputable vendor would shut things down immediately. Unfortunately, Scepter doesn't seem to F'n care.

DOOM On Them! Either sell a quality product, or don't sell anything at all.

I ended up pitching my crappy FECAL Scepter gas can in the trash a year or so ago.

Screw them, and their incompetence.

19. Nickelless

Nickelless If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Midas Member

From the article:

You can't fix stupid.

Usury likes this.
  20. SheepDog68

SheepDog68 Gold Member Gold Chaser

The "No Spill" ones (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4050289&cp=2568443.2568444.2598675.1260316) work well for adding gas to the mower, weed whacker or generator. They do not work well for adding fuel to a truck or car. For that I use one of my last two "pre" cans and refill them via a funnel from all the safety cans.

The other cans that work ok are the military issue ones. They still spill a bit of fuel (daily sacrifice to .gov stupidity) but work well once fuel is flowing. I also refill them via funnel from the "Stupid Cans"!

SD

21. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Gold Member Gold Chaser

I thought I was the only one who could not use them. I bought two 5 gal cans to rotate gasoline and a 1 gallon can. First thing you notice while trying to fill my SUV is you get tired holding it. I resort to taping the darn handle down so I can poor it into the tank and it's still a pain. Never thought about altering it. Might be a good idea. Most certainly has me keeping an eye out for older cans.

22. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Buy as many of the old ones as you can at yard/garage sales. Then in ten years from now you will be able to trade them for their weight in gold.

23. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    These are the cans I have, plastic cans has been gone for years:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS-Galvanized-Gasoline-Capacity/dp/B00004Y75M/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The new ones now have a plastic hold open handle for the sealing cap but it is a pretty heavy plastic and appears to be solid. WOOT within the last year ran these again for about $28.00 each which isn't much more than the plastic junk. With this style can, you need to be aware that they seal really well, so you have to watch for built up pressure inside the can when the temperature changes from when you filled the can. The first time I ever used this style can, I didn't "burp" it before trying to fill a walk behind mower, I got gas sprayed all over the front of me. I made a quick trip from the shop to the shower shedding clothes along the way! You can get them at Lowes for about $43.00. If I see them on WOOT agin, I will post it up here.

Cigarlover likes this.
  24. JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Gold Member Gold Chaser

It was actually the result of a series of lawsuits, or a class-action lawsuit, that put Chilton out of business. They were the company making those first-generation plastic cans; the ones people could actually USE.

I don't remember the details of the lawsuit; only that it was trumped-up and put in front of a jury either mentally incompetent or thinking they could make free money for the plaintiffs. But Chilton and Blitz were out of business as a result of that.

Briggs and Stratton, or whoever they're subcontracting those cans out to, is/are apparently trying to fill a completely-empty market while protecting themselves by putting every Smokey-Stover ersatz-safety lockout on their cans that they can. What they're really doing, of course, is making real-world use IMPOSSIBLE - the cans will have to be home-modified; when they are, gas will leak; and when it leaks the CONSUMER will be found to be at fault.

But that's the bizarro world we live in, a world governed by Ali McBeal-type lawyers.

25. ABC123

ABC123 Silver Member Silver Miner

I just picked one up on the side of the road out with the trash. One mans trash......

gringott and GOLDZILLA like this.
  26. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Yep. Pick them up whenever possible. I've also picked up a few at farm auction sales...but they often go for a fair amount, because there are a lot of people who want 'em...

27. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

If blitz company was smart they would have kept making their tanks but instead labeled them as water cans...

28. Densus

Densus New Member

29. Sport

Sport Gold Member Gold Chaser

Professional house husband
    Fortunately I have old cans for my small engines. For cars I use NATO style gas cans with a shaker siphon hose. The siphon hose works so much easier than trying to pour gas into a car.

REO 54 likes this.
  30. spathatos

spathatos Seeker Seeker

This entire thread 100% encompasses why I enjoy GIM. You got guys posting YouTube videos, talking about lawyers, class action lawsuits, new vs old cans, where to find the best cans, how to modify cans, etcetera, all out of the simplicity of the first post. Awesomeness :beer1:

I agree the new cans are garbage...

Usury likes this.
  31. Fatboy

Used Up and Retired Out
    gringott likes this.
  32. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

33. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Professur likes this.
  34. Fatboy

Used Up and Retired Out
    Yea BUT they won't work down here, they hold liters not gallons. :)

Usury and Professur like this.
  35. JustPassinThru

Go hire a Latino kid to hold it in his lap...nobody will say ANYTHING.

Usury and REO 54 like this.
  36. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Well, Duh ... you don't fill it here. Here you can only put litres in it. You take it down there and fill it with gallons down there. You can't even buy litres there.

37. JustPassinThru

Hour liters weight at ohm...they're not for sale.

Take me to YOUR liter!

Usury likes this.
  38. searcher

Bump..............

39. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Last week I filled up four of the old style 5-gallon plastic cans. They are all around 35 years old and are still in great shape. They were heavily used back in my dirt biking days.

Anyway I wanted to refresh the gasoline in the cans because what was left was 5 (possibly up to 10) years old. The old gasoline was poured into my car tank and used without issue.

Since it has been a while since I filled them what surprised me was the fact that none of the spouts have rubber seals. The can to spout seal is simply plastic surface to plastic surface. Never had any leaks or gasoline smells.

I never added fuel stabilizer to the old gasoline and it has always burned fine in my lawn mower. Even with the old untreated gasoline, the lawn mower almost always starts with one pull after the winter thaw. So is fuel stabilizer even necessary?

40. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Common wisdom is that gas only lasts six to twelve months without causing problems with modern cars.